Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
This thread has convinced me I'm probably going to get a burner prepaid visa next payday and buy some small stuff.

Incidentally, is there any good resources there for distinguishing what the "good" electronics dealers are? I'm in the market for a USB-C to HDMI adapter for my phone and tv...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

A quick search today showed that the picture frame market does not appear to have the crazy savings many products on here do.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I pulled the trigger and ordered a few things tonight with a burner target visa gift card. I got two vintage movie posters and a phone case, as well as yes, some electronics. I got a couple of usb-c to mini adapters, from the official store of a brand I've gotten off amazon in the past with zero problems (Anker), so those are 100% legit I'm sure, and I also got a usb-to-hdmi adapter from another highly rated merchant, and the product's box says it will work with my phone (LG G5) so I'm like, 90% confident I didn't do something incredibly dumb.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Ah yes, the red and white morning-gories...

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Got my first ali present today, a nice silicone case for my phone (an LG G5). Quite happy with this one!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

...there's even a slot for Lanuvo, which I didn't know the word for before now...

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Hooray! Had to fill out my first dispute form today! I ordered a hdmi adapter that was promised on the site to be compatible with my LG G5 phone, which uses a USB-C port. Surprise! The actual product has a mini-USB plug, and nowhere on the package indicates it would work with a G5!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

cyberia posted:

Oh poo poo, look what arrived in the mail today!

How does it compare to the real deal?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Taking advantage of the anniversary sale, I did some shopping today, finishing up the gift card I bought just for the site's funds. I got some doofy refrigerator magnets, because that's just a fun cheap thing I collect (I got four jack o lanterns, and four cute ultraman themed ones), I got two of those fun magnetic silly putty sets, one for me and one for my son. I also got him a xenomorph necklace for less than a buck (he's really into Aliens right now for some reason), and for my mom's bday in July I got her one of those weather-glass thingies. She loves kitchsy desktop and garden stuff.

There's another fridge magnet store on there not participating I want to keep an eye on, they have like five or six retro horror/sci-fi movie poster magnets I want that are already cheaper than I'd buy them in local junk/novelty stores without any sale price, but I'd appreciate them cheaper.

EDIT: I've played with CAH with Crabs Adjust Humidity, it's pretty much a 1:1 expansion pack for the game, with the same tone, and identical font and format on the cards. They have a little orange colored logo in the corner of the cards, and that's the only difference. Good for adding variety to the game.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Duh Ugh posted:

Going to need more info on this. Do they taste the same as regular silly putty? Please post a trip report when they arrive.

I uh, don't plan on eating any. Never tasted regular silly putty either. This stuff you can find tons of different sellers for, where the putty reacts to magnets, so you can pull it around into cool non-newtonian shapes. The kind I bought come with two eyeball magnets and a cube magnet, and I chose two different sparkly colors, green and orange. I'll let you know how well they work when they arrive.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

ravenkult posted:

Link eeeeem

The other weird Sale thing is that all the knives have disappeared. I had like 5 of them in my cart (5-10$ each) and they're all deleted.

I'll link all the stuff when I get home. Phone posting at dialysis presently.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Choco1980 posted:

I'll link all the stuff when I get home. Phone posting at dialysis presently.

As promised:

First, the Ultraman Magnets:
https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/0.html?orderId=82950706052446&productId=32752445860

The Jack-O-Lantern ones:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/201...2725318990.html

The Magnet Putty:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4co...2799944252.html

The Xenomorph necklace:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/European-and-American-horror-movie-alien-pups-crawlers-monster-necklace-detonation/32254339923.html

and the Weather Glass:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Kiw...2789536770.html

Also, the Ultraman Magnet seller already sent me a thank you message for my purchase in the middle of the day. They must have been up late.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I just found a cool store full of Geeky stuff, like desktop doodads, funky lights, fun coffee mugs, etc like you might find at places like Spencer's or whatever that I imagine many goons can find something they like at. Unfortunately they're not part of the anniversary sale, but still...

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/613234

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, the only downside is like, half their inventory you have to buy in lots.

I totally plan on getting one of their crazy tesla balls. Maybe the one with the Chinese dragons holding it up. Also I think my mom would enjoy one of those little desk things with fake jellyfish inside that move around to the current of the water while different colored lights light them up. I seriously feel like I can do a bunch of xmas shopping here like, in august

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I unironically like the doot doot skeleton.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

best bale posted:

I know to avoid electronics, but what about small electrical accessories like connectors and shrink tubing? Any good stores?

I'm still waiting on it but my usb mini to usb c connectors I bought from Anker's own storefront. I've bought the same thing from amazon in the past and have no complaints with them.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Pick posted:

I'm a biologist and a lifelong fur collector and have been contacted by the port authority a few times for an ID, I can pretty well tell cat (try to read this in a voice where I'm being informational and not a jackass). You see a lot of dog, too. Sometimes it even shows up on eBay as "spotted fur".

It sounds weird to say that trapped fur is the most ethical, but seriously, trapped fur is probably the most ethical.

My cougar skin is actually from a tom that was shot by Idaho fish & game because he'd been in what was going to be a fatal altercation with another male (lost an eye, completely hosed up in the front), which is probably the most ethical fur you can get but good luck making a coat out of it.

This is interesting. Do the same sort of conditions also exist within the leather import industry as well as the fur industry?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

The poster is kinda low resolution too, can someone recommend a poster place that does international shipping?

I've gone for the movie posters that say they're on fabric. They cost a few bucks more, but one has already arrived, and it's basically the same sort of texture as a wall scroll, only without any framing/hanging additions. My postal service also bent the tube, but it didn't harm the poster at all as far as I can tell. I'd much rather frame these than just tape/pin them to the wall, as they seem high quality for what I assume is silk-screening.

For the record, the one I got so far is a Japanese poster for Destroy All Monsters. I'm waiting on one that's a German Expressionist poster for the original Frankenstein.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

angerbeet posted:

I imagine Americans have either the most vanilla sex experiences possible or full on BDSM furry vore

Eh, pretty much.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

That's something so clever and obvious, I'm shocked I've never seen a sax-pipe before.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I got some stuff in today. The final item from my initial shopping trip, a cool fabric poster for Frankenstein done in German Expressionist style. Also I got the first few of my anniversary sale items in--My jackolantern fridge magnets, and the kooky weather glass I'm giving to my mom for fun on her birthday in July. The magnets are surprisingly strong for being just doofy fridge ones. The poster is dope af, and they included poster stickies with it, but I'd rather frame it.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I didn't search for the style, just the movie, and there happened to be the one i picked.

https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/32677038424.html#autostay

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Wait, that study is just testing common brands found on the shelves of local stores?! I can't imagine how much worse the stuff on ali must be...

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Duckula posted:

Built this tonight.

We all live in a Lepin submarine.

I appreciate the inclusion of Nowhere Man

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Always buy from China: phone glass protectors and cases- the shops sell this poo poo at a huge markup.

E: anyone got lucky with the card game? I only get 2 coins back and a 1$-2$ coupon for stuff I don't want.

Can confirm. My phone case fits perfectly, has a nice no-slip rubber feel to it, and the cool image (three skulls stacked up with smoke whisping out of them) seems to actually be pressed into the mold rather than silkscreened. Also, when I'm fidgity, I can play with the corners, pulling them off and pushing them back on as a sort of bubble-wrap style popping satisfaction. All for around three bucks. Very happy with the purchase.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

My cool godzilla poster got here and this silk print thing is the bomb, way better material than poster paper imo

They are rad. What design did you get? here's mine I recently got:

Destroy All Monsters Labeled as Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla

I love that they put all those dorky nametags on the monsters

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Got both my kawaii Ultraman fridge magnets and my magnetic putty in the mail today.

Trip report on the putty: It's a little smaller than I expected (as are most things on ali) but it's still decent sized, about the same amount of putty you'd get in a silly putty egg. It's a bit stickier than silly putty, not quite as bad as like, used chewing gum however (it sticks to itself better than most surfaces I quickly discovered, probably due to magnetism). There's not really any odd smell to it surprisingly. I suspect this is stuff they normally ship out to like science toy stores or whatever, it even has a brand on the jar, "Mark's Thinking Putty" with a mad scientist cartoon. The colors are pretty too. The putty itself was in a plastic baggy inside the metal jar (and stuck to the lid when I opened it!) and is definitely magnetic. It came with a small (like, a cubic centimeter) magnet brick that is ultra powerful. It tried to attach itself to something INSIDE my desk while sitting on top of it. I made the mistake early on of just setting the magnet on top of the putty in the tin, and before my eyes it sunk right in as it grabbed the putty around it magnetically. It took mere seconds to be completely encased. There was only one plastic eyeball in the tin (the page shows two) but those were not the important part. I got the magenta/purple one for myself and the green one for my son who comes and stays with me in the summer in less than a month. I haven't opened his. And no, I haven't tasted it.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4co...2799944252.html

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Snowy posted:

I hope you gave them five stars :kimchi:

Seriously, that's the most adorable pack-in I think I've ever seen. Banana deserves all the stars!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

My xenomorph necklace finally arrived today. I actually expected it to be smaller. It's about 1.5" around, and solid, with a thin metal chain. Pretty good for less than 2 bucks, as I expected something more along the lines of gumball/gacha machine quality.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Apparently looking online, cheap mondays is a clothing place. The skull is their logo. They look like mall level stuff.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Seriously, it looks like thumbscrews, only put on toes... :confused:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Cobra Commander posted:

2017 guns in your butts.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Most car part stores like Autozone or whatever, will use their OBD Readers on your car for free, fyi.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Oh boy. At random I showed my 10 year old all the knock-off not-Lego sets on Ali. Now he wants like, everything knowing how much cheaper they are than the real thing.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Holy poo poo that shirt.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Regsrding those duckie pants last page, I posted the same on my fb a week ago, baffled. Then someone explained they were puppy pants, and it all made adorable sense.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I like how this thread is an even split between "hey look at this stupid stuff I bought for cheap" and "hey, look at this whosiwhatsit super fantastic electrical engineering device I got for cheap" and both have about the same reaction of oohs and aahhs amount.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Guy Mann posted:

It's also worth mentioning that while Dollar Tree doesn't get quite as much as often as places like Big Lots or Ollie's it's also used as a dumping ground for places trying to offload stock cheaply. Over the years I've gotten tons of Seen-On-TV junk of varying quality for a buck there, sometimes actually good and useful like StoneWave microwave cookers or Topsy-Turvy hanging planters while other times it's the exact kind of hilarious novelty like cell phone headbands that's worth a buck as a gag gift.

Food is also a crapshoot, when Jack Links redesigned their bags a year ago they just dumped all the old ones there and when pink himalayan salt was still rare and faddish enough to regularly go for like $7-$10 a shaker they were selling huge jars for a while. Same with chia seeds.

Also they're the only place that regularly sells DXM-only gelcaps, so you can buy enough to knock you on your rear end for a day and a 3-liter of diet coke to wash it down with all for a fiver.

:catdrugs:

Yeah, I've noticed that Dollar Tree's grocery section is definitely hit or miss, but not at all something to completely ignore. My local one has an impressive spice section for example. Also it has recently occurred to me that their paper thin "ribeye steak" would be fantastic for homemade jerky...

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Meanwhile, In China

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

So you always wanted a Chanel shirt...

is that Eddie wearing a David Bowie Mask?