Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Besides lots of carbon fiber bike parts, I also managed to order the literal best underwear I've ever worn.

I always read on triathlon forums about how sketchy the carbon fiber bike parts might be, but I also spoke with an industry rep who said that the Chinese companies are already making the molds/parts for the "legit" US companies. Therefore, the parts are from the same molds usually. He also mentioned that it's not really in any company's favor to make critical bike parts that fail when being ridden.

The underwear are made from some kind of spandex material, and they also have a nondescript herbal scent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

sandball posted:

link the undies you fool

Here they are. Don't laugh...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bes...0608.0.0.JFVxe1

Seriously, the most comfortable underwear you can get as a dude. Also, they have this rear seam so your don't get that diaper butt look that most boxer briefs give you. Naturally, you'll want to get the black ones unless you're into semi transparent underwear.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Facebook Aunt posted:

How is the air flow situation? I've delt with a lot of nylon and some of it can get unpleasantly humid, especially in the summer. Please check in if you get mold growing in the back 40.

They're very breathable. I've slept in them during the summer time with no problems. No more swamp rear end to speak of.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Cheers for linking this, because it lead me to see these:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/BRA...fdfd2a5b1&tpp=1
and I think my life is better for having seen them.

Did you see the thing underwear with an "elephant trunk" sheath in the front?

Also, why does Aliexpress assume the purveyors of these underwear are all gay? Well, after seeing the butt crack cleavage undies I kinda get it now...

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

yoloer420 posted:

A critical component will fail when you're doing 65km down hill. You will die. Seriously don't gently caress about with safety critical items.

There are some super cheap power meters on there, but I don't like the idea of a crank failing randomly.

I'd read some stuff on "TriRig" about open mold carbon fiber manufacturing, and it made it sound like the Chinese carbon fiber was basically all the same. Oh well, I'm glad my life insurance is paid up : )

I didn't see the power meters. I'll have to look for them.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

I was searching for some laparoscopic medical devices on Alibaba that I was going to take apart for research(medical designer here). Somehow, this company and all of their inflatable MLP sex doll poo poo showed up in my recommended list. I think they pay to be at the top of the search listings or something.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Sagebrush posted:

Contact the seller and start bugging them, but I've specifically had knockoff Lego arrive well outside the shipping period. Like it said 19-39 days and it took closer to 60, but it did eventually arrive.

I just got a notice from the seller that my package could arrive anywhere from 25-45 days after the order. I think it's just a blanket warning in case something gets held up in customs. Most of the time it's around 2 weeks unless it's custom.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Marmaduke! posted:

"dear friend
Sorry to disturb you.
Due to the overwhelming demand for shipping in this shopping season, the original package has been stopped half way.
We found that it is on the way back to us.
Would you like us to re-send you the parcel by a new logistic company or refund you the money?
If you choose the re-send we will arrange it soon, it usually takes 30-45days.we will also extend the time period for you to confirm the delivery.
If you choose the refund, can we refund you through your paypal?
Waiting for your message.
If you have any questions or problems, pls contact us directly.
Best Regards,
lily"

I'm not your friend, pal, and I've been waiting for this bit of tat for three months already!

That's been happening to me too. How dare they deprive me of low cost crap?!?

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Ralph Crammed In posted:

So, if you're like me (a fat girl who buys lingerie on Ali Express) you're probably noticed that most of the photos for clothes are very obviously stolen from somewhere. Most of the time it's from other online retailers, but sometimes you find a treasure.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...0612.0.0.F01rMS

Edit-apparently it's from a Chinese horror film called Any Other Side.

Ha!

Even better is when you find out that your five sizes larger in China. In America, I'm sz 34-36. According to Aliexpress, I'm size XXXL Grande super fat.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

The fact that he's carrying copies of Mondo and 2600 makes me think it's dig at the nerds who used to argue about who was more "Cyberpunk" on the old BBS message boards. Not gonna lie, 13 yr old me would've thought that guy was loving cool as hell.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Blue Train posted:

If you look at the bottom of the page, it is actually out of an issue of Mondo

Ha, I missed that.

Also, does anyone know where i can find more copies of that magazine? The only issue I ever saw was at an old radio station I used to work at.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Light Gun Man posted:

The correct term is gargoyle :colbert:

But hell yeah those pictures rule.

It's all fun and games, until an Inuit with a glass knife cuts you in half at a punk rock show.

Besides, bulk intel gathering never really pays well.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Whatever. Still no match for a poisoned dentata : )

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Katosabi posted:

I finally received my Oakleys (or jokelys as my girlfriend's dad calls them) from Aooko and they seem good enough. I can't find anything wrong with them and they're actually polarized complete with the etching on the lens.

Yo, you gotta post some pics man!

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Katosabi posted:

Frogskins

Sliver F

Etching

Truly polarized!

Hinge area looks good, there's some very fine molding flaws on the back but you have to look for them.

Those look pretty good! I might buy a pair.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
For fun and excitement, you can buy radioactive materials:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pc...0304.4.2.TrCtdN

Granted, it's just little rods of tritium. But, if you get enough you could make a beta-voltaic battery or a breeder reactor :stonklol:

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

yoloer420 posted:

Still pretty expensive. Do they have knockoff tritium for less?

If you have a cheaper source, I'd be glad to make a bulk purchase of tritium rods.

I need them for a, um.... medical design project....

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Synthbuttrange posted:

Those are tritrium gas lights, not actual rods of tritium. They're pretty common in all sorts of things, mostly outdoor gear and watchfaces.

Bummer. I was hoping for the stuff that the Radio Active Boy Scout used.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Sagebrush posted:

Tritium is an isotope of hydrogen. You can't get a "rod of tritium" unless you've got some way of storing things at less than 14 kelvin.

The radioactive boy scout made his reactor with thoriated lantern mantles and the americium from smoke detectors, iirc, both of which you can still buy

I see. I was referring to an article about him. In it, the reporter tells of him buying tritium-illuminated gun sights and, "digging out the waxy material for his reactor." He would then send the sights back to the manufacturer to be repaired, where he would then do the same thing again.

"Once again, "Professor Hahn" sprang into action, writing his old friend Erb at the NRC to discuss the problem. The NRC had the answer. David's neutrons were too "fast" for the uranium).(3) He would have to slow them down using a filter of water, deuterium, or tritium. Water would have sufficed, but David likes a challenge. Consulting his list of commercially available radioactive sources, he discovered that tritium, a radioactive material used to boost the power of nuclear weapons, is found in glow-in-the-dark gun and bow sights, which David promptly bought from sporting-goods stores and mail-order catalogues. He removed the tritium contained in a waxy substance inside the sights, and then, using a variety of pseudonyms, returned the sights to the store or manufacturer for repair--each time collecting another tiny quantity of tritium. When he had enough, David smeared the waxy substance over the beryllium strip and targeted the gun at uranium powder. He carefully monitored the results with his Geiger counter over several weeks, and it appeared that the powder was growing more radioactive by the day."

By the sounds of it, the material has never really been workable in the way it's described in the story.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
All this talk about tritium got me thinking about making a poly carbonate ring with a bunch of those little(1.5mm x 6mm) tritium vials embedded in it. When it's finished, the little glowing tubes will be fully encapsulated inside the clear ring, thus giving me a sort of ever present light source that is powered by scary radioactivity. I'll let you all know if my hand grows a second, smaller and bloodthirsty mutant hand.

I bought 8 of these little fuckers...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/EDC...89-4c8a3f7058fa

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

jewelry is one of the only things you can't stick tritium in, although I'm pretty sure there's exactly zero people in federal pen for making a tritium-ring regardless

That's weird. There are a few different rings on Ali with tritium tubes in them.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/PSK...2b-ee2633dd419c

Also, seeing that I might be breaking a law set forth by the NRC just makes this project so much cooler and stupid : )

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

My Golden Girls phone case came today.

loving rad!

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Wifi Toilet posted:

Don't forget a human joint oscillating bone saw to put in that kit.

This isn't that great of a price. you can get Stryker bone saws used for this much on Ebay. Granted, the original price was something like 5-8k.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I don't know if kids like having backpacks as gifts? I know nothing about kids, but I personally rocked this cool af Chameleon Backpack for a year until it started coming apart at the weight-bearing seams:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/201...2311.0.0.jNVr2y
A year was honestly more than I expected to get out of it, and if I wanted to, I could re-stitch it since the material isn't coming apart, just the stitches are opening.
When I bought it, it was 14€, looks like it'll be 11,60€ in the upcoming sale. It comes out looking a bit more frumpled than the pics 'cause of the way it's packed. Still, I got many compliments on it.

If you're in a colder climate, for any relative you could get this warm fleece ninja hood:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mul...2311.0.0.nTMnxI
I ordered two; one for me and one for the husband, so I can confirm that they fit head sizes from small to massive. They've got a bit of a weird smell, but it's not overpowering. They look just like the picture, and most importantly, they do the job of being warm and comfortable when the snow hits. At 2,57€ a piece, great buy.

For the boyfriend/husband Obligatory Underwear Gift I recommend these:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Add...2311.0.0.8tGXUo
They're fun and they look great. They've kept their colours through several washes, and the husband said they're really comfortable and to order more.

Can confirm on the underwear. I've been buying mine from Aliexpress for a few years now.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Amphigory posted:

What's the sizing like (serious question!)

The underwear sizing is hit or miss, depending on the vendor. They usually run true to their size reference, i.e, if they say a size 32 is size xl it's pretty spot on if you order accordingly.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Amphigory posted:

Thanks mate! I've ordered a test pair in the largest size for a couple of quid. Fingers crossed!

Cheers! Also, it seems that every type of men's underwear is considered "gay" by the Aliexpress product naming team.

maybe they're trying to tell me something...

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Krakox posted:

Gimme some ridiculous men's fashion looks. I look like jeff goldblum so I need ostentatious and tremendous articles, not things I'd have to be a hunk to wear. Spicy after dark stuff is fine

Well, this is pretty age friendly for older guys:

Also, my sources say that if you look like Jeff Goldblum women will literally climb all over you like horny animals.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Is a contemporary aristocrat all that different from any other type? Which type of aristocrat wears these?

Snazzy kicks!

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Want a fetus mold, though?

How big are the resulting fetuses? These might make some pretty awesome slingshot ammo...

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Duh Ugh posted:

Incidentally, aliexpress has some cheapass slingshots that are pretty fun. The wife wasn't nearly as amused as I was using mine to launch veggie trimmings out the kitchen window in the general direction of the compost heap for some reason though. I even offered her a go. Spoilsport.

Sweet! I could use one to launch hot dog chunks at my neighbor's vegan dog.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

This is willful animal cruelty. I don't give a crap if people want to be vegan but that dog needs animal protein. I would contribute a dollar to the slingshot hotdog fund.

Even worse, they're also ~horse people~

I hate the lot of them, and their poor sheep dog barks and howls all night BC they keep it in an outdoor kennel all the time.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Police Automaton posted:

Thanks but it's how I write I guess, I'm a bit verbose. :v: I hope it's not bothering people too much.

For kids there are different rules. They chew on things for example.

I bought one of those eachine mini drones for 18€
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Arrival-Eachine-E60-Mini-for-Pocket-Drone-With-Camera-Headless-Mode-2-4G-6-Axis/32818178337.html

It was more of an impulse buy because I always wanted to play around with one but don't want to get too invested with going outside and stuff. Most of the fun drones are very limited in the ways you're allowed to use them here, because I guess the government worries somebody gets the bright idea to strap explosives to one and fly it into something.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/BT168D-Digital-Battery-Tester-Checker-for-1-5V-and-AA-AAA-Cell-BT-168D/32764568310.html

These battery testers are ok too for the price. You'll find lots of bad reviews on youtube and aliexpress about them because they show a lower voltage than multimeters do. That's the entire point of a battery tester. If you measure a battery with a multimeter you only have the internal resistance of the battery and that's not enough load for the battery. A battery measured like that will always show a higher voltage and it's not indicative of in what condition the cells are in. Battery testers have a dummy load (very cheap ones have literally only a few resistors in the case) and if battery cells are empty the voltage collapses under load and for example your remote control stops working or only works intermittently. Multimeters are not good for measuring if a battery is empty or not, you want a battery tester. I'd go for one with a digital display, they mostly have an integrated solution for measuring and there's less margin for error there. Ideally if you want to be accurate you want a battery tester that has it's own battery but it's not strictly necessary, something like the one above is good enough for your run-off-the-mill cheap supermarket alkalines.

Your writing is perfect. Don't change a thing!

You were spot on with regard to the quality of Aliexpress goods. Read reviews, and if a deal seems too good to be true even for Aliexpress then it probably is.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Duh Ugh posted:

This is the one I bought, $4. You owe it to thr poor doggo to save it from its terrible owners.

I've been sneaking home made beef jerky to him through the fence. The slingshot would help me get meats into the back part of their yard where they don't ever go. 4 bucks is a steal.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Code Jockey posted:

please make a thread detailing your adventures saving this vegan dog

idea: instead of slingshotting meat to the dog, break into the yard and slingshot the dog back into your yard

My entire neighborhood is a poo poo show of uppity, milquetoast middle class poo poo heads(probably me included, but I hate myself enough to have some introspection)

1. on one side, I have vegan poo poo heads and their poor doggo. They're also ~horse people~, so they keep a couple of stable-rot horses at the front of their property and almost never ride them. It's more of a "look at use with our horses". In spite of them being vegan, the hubbs drives a lifted F-350 that needs it's own zip code to park anywhere. I've never seen the guy haul anything with it. Ever.

2. The guy behind me is a ~bike commuter~. If you live in a metro area or nearby suburb, biking is a great way to stay in shape, help the planet and save money. If you live ten miles outside of town in some quasi-agricultural grouping of houses, you're just in the way. He rides right down the center of the dirt roads, and the one time I passed him he honked some kind of gay little bike air horn at me. I'm not a violent person, but he almost got the GTA treatment for that one.
3. My neighbor on the other side is a sheriff's deputy. He was cool until last year, when he decided to mount his TV on his back patio and attach a giant surround sound system to it. I'd be okay with him watching the game at a higher volume during the day, but he blares the thing non stop regardless of what he's watching. A couple of months ago, I had to tell him to turn his TV down, because it was 10:30 at night and he was watching "Diners, Drive-in and Dives" at full volume and enhanced bass. I've already decided that I'm gonna buy some large subwoofers and create a sound weapon. I'll just bombard his house with infra sound until he snaps and shoots his hag of a wife.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Quick question re: Aliexpress bike parts.

Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with carbon fiber bike stuff off Aliexpress? I've been curious about some of the CF stuff on there.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Jerry Cotton posted:

Serious question: do people (other than Facebook Aunt, obviously) really keep their car keys attached to their house keys?

Yes. It's how I've always had them.

Do normal people not do this?

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Stretch Marx posted:

If you're looking at electronics or electric things in general on Aliexpress one thing to do is to add "UL" or "UL Registered" at the end of your searches. If they're actually listed with Underwriters Limited then they've gotten certs and should be safe. If you don't see UL shown/listed then I'd steer clear. Note that a lot of vendors will be cert for the EU but not for NA.

Thanks for the tip! I have a usb rechargeable flashlight from Alie, and every time I charge it I wonder if I'll be sifting through the ashes of my former home.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

value-brand cereal posted:

We're not a separate species, my dude :psyduck: relax.

JUST ANSWER THE QUESTIONS!!!

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

HAHAHA! Just what the USA needs, more aggressive law enforcement!

"Are those counterfeit stamps?!?!"

*gets punched in throat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I ordered some thin film sensors for a design project and I forgot about them until they showed up yesterday.

I guess i busted my aliexpress cherry.