Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
This thread could do with some of the absurd pictures they use in the product descriptions. I wonder if in the end all the white people in China end up working for an Aliexpress store sooner or later.

Since everything is in China prices, you can more or less experience what it's like to be a rich person there, just buying whatever you want and not thinking too much about the price. I use their stationary poo poo to make my desk look all nice, you can get some great looking pens, card cases, stationary pads, etc. It looks nice and works so whatever. Also their watch range is pretty impressive, I'm not talking about the fake Rolex poo poo but the domestic brands, especially their mechanical selection. The $30 watches I buy from there always get reactions from people, far more than the "normal" ones I buy for hundreds.

I've thought about buying stuff like clothes or whatever but don't really trust it, especially with sizing. I've wondered what you would get for buying the "expensive" stuff, like if you buy something over $100. I've definitely noticed that you get what you pay for in the site, even a difference of $10 can be a world of quality difference on the cheaper end. Some of the higher-end stuff is probably pretty good quality I would imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
The only thing to be careful about Aliexpress is that some of the sellers get upset and will essentially doxx you if you dispute an order or give bad feedback:

http://www.vkvan.com/index (I don't know if linking this site is against the rules so let me know if I should remove it).

It's used for sellers to search for "problematic" buyers so they can refuse to sell to them, although I think that having one's personal information in an easily searchable form for everyone to see is more of a problem.

I'd assume that most of the more "reputable" stores wouldn't do this, but I've just accepted that if something goes wrong with an order, I'll have to do what I can to work with the seller or surrender it and never initiate a dispute.

Well, it's the risk you take for the savings! I've had a couple of stuff not arrive but they were from official storefronts and worked things out with me, haven't been burned yet!

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bad...3a-470a76e3b60e

Uuh, ok...

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

ZombieJesus posted:

Who was it that said you could get good $30 watches? All the ones I could find looked like dogshit

Things like these are pretty good for the price:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Men.../506303803.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Cla...1916491812.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/201...1825620341.html

Their mechanical watch range has some pretty nice models, and none of the ones I've bought so far have broken yet.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Most of the time those watch descriptions will say if the dials are for decoration only.

Usually the dials do work, but they may not do what you expect. They look like choronograph movements but they're only for showing the day, date, and month, or maybe a 24hr time display (like in that first watch, top left is the day of the week as a number with the dials between it signifying noontime, top right is the date, and the bottom is a 24hr display, the crown on the left is for rotating the inner wheel to do calculations). The buttons are only for adjusting those, and so far all of the watches I've bought do roll over the date correctly.

I've bought a few quartz which do have a working chronograph.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
The descriptions of these things are the best, even the most mundane things can be made exciting!

Yeah, that is what a crown does all right.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I wonder if you can buy enough machinery at AE so that you too can build your own factory to produce cheap crap to sell there.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

I don't recommend buying anything that looks like gold on AE, or rose gold. It'll look good for about a month but then it'll start to wear off. If there's a way to get the item in a non-gold color I highly recommend it!

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Kra...d8-3efea670d333

This one is impressive for how low-effort it is:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Sum...d8-3efea670d333

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
https://seicoo.aliexpress.com/store/1300330?scm=1007.14113.78894.0

If you need obnoxious watches, this store has you covered!

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Duh Ugh posted:

I think I mentioned a bit ago that I picked up one of the cheap mechanical pocket watches. If it helps make up your mind any, mine's still going strong. Yeah, the chance of damaging the spring is there, but so what? They're cheap as gently caress. If you're really worried about it, buy two (or three, or five, or seven).

On a completely unrelated note, I suddenly find myself filled with the overwhelming urge to put googly eyes on everything.

Yeah, I've bought plenty of AE mechanicals and they're all still working, although I don't keep them wound all the time. They are cheap movements which have awful time gain/loss numbers, but whatever, that's easy enough to adjust and if they end up breaking I won't be heartbroken.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

King Vidiot posted:

To be fair, I filed a claim on an obviously-selling-from-China seller on Amazon when my item never arrived (months ago, like last year, still not here and never will be) and I got all my money back and I never got a packet of anthrax or had any shady types following my car around town.

But that's Amazon, so maybe they have better buyer protection (hah).

With all of the dropshippers on sites like Amazon half the time even if you buy from a domestic seller they're just placing an order on Aliexpress for you and charging you more money for the privilege. Screw those guys and dispute them the second things go wrong.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

dentist toy box posted:

Is getting dox'd and killed by the Chinese mafia for bad feedback just a joke, because it's kinda believable.

http://www.vkvan.com/index

It seems like the site has changed policy though and no longer lists things like full addresses and phone numbers. or at least from the few random entries I looked at. Maybe you need to be a registered user or something to see it, but it seems like things aren't as bad as they used to be, when they would more or less throw all one's personal info on it and there was a lot of potential for someone to use that information for nefarious reasons.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Recently I've been buying some automatic belts on the site, you can buy full belt kits for like $10, a fraction of what you'd pay for at the store. So far they've been pretty good quality and look good too.

Also on the AE reddit there's a seller answering questions from people, you can get an interesting look at some of the policies for sellers and how they interact with customers.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

uber_stoat posted:

yes, link me this space age cybernetic belt which I have never heard of before for some reason.

If you search for "Automatic Belt" you'll get more results than you know what to do with and I assume that the majority of them are of similar quality since they're all priced around the same. Still, here are a couple of stores that I've used that have served me well:

https://cowatherbelt.aliexpress.com/store/810272
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1479283

mike12345 posted:

Interesting interview. There's a ratio between complaints and sales, if the ratio exceeds a certain percentage, the seller can't sell anything for a year. Might explain the panic when you don't like something.

One of the more interesting things they said is that the website and app are separate in terms of store and item rankings, and there are far more people that use the app so the ranking there is more important. That's why many stores give you a small discount for buying things on the app.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

This guy's being put on the list!

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

yippee cahier posted:

Has anyone compiled a list of alternate brand names to search for to evade the IP filter? Just in case this is too :filez:, I am looking for an accessory that works with a brand name product.

DHGate is probably better for that stuff, it's a knockoff of Aliexpress and is kind of like what Aliexpress used to be like, with less concern for things like copyright or quality control.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

i use my watch for its intended purpose because i hate pulling out my phone when i'm around a lot of people

How ironic that we've now gone back in technology for a lot of people in that regard. The whole point of the wristwatch was so people wouldn't have to pull out a pocket watch when they wanted to check the time.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

yoloer420 posted:

I'm filing my first dispute! I ordered an RTL8812AU Wifi dongle, but they sent an RTL8812BU.

The seller doesn't seem to want to understand that this could be an issue for someone. I'm sure he does though, since the RTL8812AU sells for about $10 more.

I proposed a $10 refund, which he countered with $0. Has anyone had AliExpress step in on something like this?

Obviously you just need to up your negotiation skills, although his counteroffer seems pretty fair.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Miss posted:

Yeah I did the same thing for a star trek ship (i wanted a warbird not a bird of prey dammit)

I opened an Ali dispute when he proposed nothing and claimed back the whole amount. Which was way more than what I'd been asking him for. Scrub

I find it funny as hell how apparently sellers often counter a refund offer with $0? Why in the world would they think anyone would accept that? I’d think that even those who wouldn’t fight it would be insulted by that “proposal” and dispute out of spite.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

At least the fox bracelet is somewhat of a relevant picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I think there was an episode of shark tank where someone showed off the beer foamer thing as some revolutionary invention. I found it odd since they had already existed for a long time, I know at least in Japan they've been common forever, but they actually like the head there.