Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Only things I've bought so far are cheap electronics which I've been to lazy to test. You only have 15 days to make sure your poo poo isn't broken after saying it arrived but I figure at these prices I can take the hit.

Probably the thorium softening them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woden
May 6, 2006

Gable Oak posted:

Well, then I have no idea what I did to piss off the gods of Chinese exports. :-(. Mine just says, "For security reasons this process can not be continued.To make sure your transaction is secure, please provide us with documentation by clicking My Appeal for further verification." Documentation being crazy phishing-sounding things like, "take a photo of your credit card, driver's license, and bank statement." I am 100% certain it's legitimately AliPay, but I'm not sure if it's more or less comforting that only a subset of us are getting selected for further documentation.

I had that when a transaction wanted to use SMS authorisation, I thought it was a phishing link and so ignored it multiple times.

No way I was giving up that info so I just tried again from a different vendor selling the same poo poo and it went through fine.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Bethamphetamine posted:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SAV...693935378&tpp=1

I'm giving these things a try. I don't see a lot of ventilation, but I can dremel out airholes. It's all made in china anyway, and I'm not spending $90 on oakleys that I'm just going to break in less than a year.

There was a blow up a while ago with Chinese sunglasses not meeting the specifications for UV protection in Australia.

I wouldn't buy those unless they were rated by whatever body does that in your country.

Woden
May 6, 2006
USB mini fish tank:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/201...2669443067.html

Woden fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Feb 14, 2017

Woden
May 6, 2006
They're cheaper than the 2 DIN DIY hobby kits, tempted to buy one just for parts.

Woden fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 15, 2017

Woden
May 6, 2006

Internet Friend posted:

Touchscreens in the car are a pain in the rear end. Give me buttons and knobs. Source: just uninstalled my old touchscreen and installed a 1 DIN regular rear end bluetooth unit

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Wir...2783199442.html

:mrgw:

Woden
May 6, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

None of that is edible? :confused:

That's what they're saying.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Faffel posted:

Just lol if you don't like hosed up cosmic body horror

I legit can't relate to someone who doesn't want a high-quality figurine of a guy holding his hideously mutated dick as a flail, that owns.

Some of them look cool as gently caress, other's I'd be ashamed to own.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Is it even legal to buy seeds like that and not at least declare them?

Woden
May 6, 2006

Pick posted:

Those are underwear a person wears because they want good underwear and might not, gasp, care about your penis this second. That's what normal women's underwear looks like.

Should upgrade to boyshorts or something so you'll never again have elastic riding up your inner thigh or butt cheeks IMO.

As a man(so YMMV) the change was a spiritual experience.

Woden
May 6, 2006

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...2501119204.html

Woden
May 6, 2006
So I ordered a couple of those vertical planters thinking they'd be awesome for herbs, I now have worries of poisoning though.

I may have made a huge mistake.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Police Automaton posted:

A lot of the stuff on aliexpress is exactly (and I mean 100%) exactly the same stuff I can buy locally. (just locally it's sometimes a lot more expensive) It really is the same stuff. If It's bad for your health then the stuff here is too.

One of my local dollar stores got busted for selling dangerous kids toys and other stuff.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Riller posted:

Don't know if you care whether or not they are connected to each other or totally wireless, but I bought these back in August for my wife and she's been using them pretty regularly now without any issues: https://geek.wish.com/c/546f3fdb8edcfa12151f483e

All I saw there was a giant sign in with FB/goog/email thing with no "x" to tell it to gently caress off, is wish the pinterest of cheap poo poo or am I doing something wrong?

Woden
May 6, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

Tea is dumb and complicated and I heartily recommend doing whatever you want with it

Put tea bag in hot water, take it out when it looks strong enough. It's not that hard.

Woden
May 6, 2006
I went with some waterproof clippers and shave in the shower, it's a life changer and I could never go back.

Woden
May 6, 2006

MrUnderbridge posted:

So does this thread just cover Ali or do Geek and Wish also count?

Seems like a lot of product overlap between them all.

Had good and bad experiences with Geek and Wish.

The problem I have with Wish is that you need an account to see anything, never heard of Geek.

Woden
May 6, 2006

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

I got some binoculars and a really sweet backpack and they both came within 3 weeks.

Also some knockoff raybans that are clearly actual raybans without the logo on them (they're made of acetate like the real thing).

Post the backpack.

Woden
May 6, 2006
I think I need to check myself into Pick's sperg thread because when I saw Mr. Fuzzy, all I thought was eyeballs getting stuck in my pipes.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

It's not aliexpress but as someone who has shaved their head for years this has been a game-changer. It doesn't get you completely baby smooth like a razor but you can shave your entire head in like five swipes in the shower in the morning and you're good to go.

:same:

It's so drat good.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Speaking of packaging I love some of the ingenuity that goes into it with AE type stuff. A CPU in an envelope with a single stamp? Hell yeah. Meanwhile crap from elsewhere comes with cubic metres of bubble wrap and packing peanuts, all I think about when looking at it is yep, that's why it cost me $20 for the delivery.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Clayton Bigsby posted:

I don't loving understand how Lidl can often make decent stuff for very cheap. Bought a nice bamboo cutting board for 99 SEK (around 12 bucks) and it's been great. Cost 4x that in a "regular" store.

A lot of the stuff they sell is on a yearly loop where they have a decent idea on how well it'll sell and they're fine with things selling out quickly. They can make a bulk order at a discount and then sell everything so there's little overstocking issues.

Woden
May 6, 2006

SEX BURRITO posted:

I love when random poo poo arrives from AE. Today, it was my new purse to make me smile when I :frogout: my change.

http://s.aliexpress.com/ZVrYFZr6

This owns.

Woden
May 6, 2006

norp posted:

Aww man, AliExpress is going to collect sales tax on Australian orders now

So everything is just going to be 10% more and I don't have to do anything?

Plenty of my old purchases had the cost on the box way below what I'd paid and I don't want to have to personally deal with any shenanigans for 10% of a couple of bucks.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Crazy Achmed posted:

Speaking of grounds, has anyone had any experience with coffee percolators? I want to switch from my beat up old aluminium one to stainless steel, but I'm not sure whether the heavy metals from AE percs are likely to be worse than the slow aluminium poisoning I'll get from my existing one.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Sta...2832755885.html

Aluminium poisoning from cookware isn't really a thing, I wouldn't worry about it.

Woden
May 6, 2006
What's the deal with goons and Casio watches, is it an ironic thing, chasing childhood memories, an internet meme or what? idgi.

Woden
May 6, 2006
3D V Face Slimming Mask Massage Relaxtion Facial Slim Up Belt Lifting Chin Thin Cheek Sauna Bandage Beauty Health Care Tool

Woden
May 6, 2006
I almost always go with the most popular seller even if it's a bit more, those $1.12 items with 3 sales just look shady as hell when someone else has sold 12k for $9.81.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Goku pants.

Knock off lock laces.

Silicone sink filter.

Woden
May 6, 2006

no pubes yet sorry posted:

I am pretty sure the consensus for electronics is "be really loving careful" when it comes to poo poo you plug into the wall on Ali.

For plastic things you don't eat off of and what not, whatever, but look at some youtubes of ali electronics breakdowns.

Xiaomi is a fairly decent brand and I'd be fine with plugging their poo poo into the wall. I'd probably buy the soundbar through Banggood or similar though since I couldn't find their store in my 10 seconds of searching Ali.

That said no idea if their soundbar is any good because all the reviews I saw came from dubious sites.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Male Tears posted:

I really like the Nest Fragrances line of perfume they sell at Sephora so I decided to gamble $10 and buy a knock-off on Ali. The only thing they seem to have in common with the originals is the bottle shape and the floral themes; the scents are different. I purchased the "Stamen Love" variety. Will update how it smells when it arrives. I am the sole order. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/May...2961402284.html

Guessing your user name will prove accurate when it arrives.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Original_Z posted:

How ironic that we've now gone back in technology for a lot of people in that regard. The whole point of the wristwatch was so people wouldn't have to pull out a pocket watch when they wanted to check the time.

It's funny that wristwatches were women only devices until some big war showed them to be more practical. That's probably why most expensive mens watches are all about what bad-rear end men wear while being bad-asses rather than something less gaudy and gently caress off huge.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Kerbtree posted:

Christ, if you want a decent cheap fitness band get a Mii Band 2. Want something nicer? Amazfit Bip.

Yeah, there's also a Mi Band 3.

There were issues with early HR monitors where they'd burn your wrist, add in that you're strapping a lithium battery of unknown quality to your wrist and you're just asking for trouble.

Woden
May 6, 2006

heeheex2 posted:

gently caress. couldnt sue the chinese government. at least i can sue google tho.

lol

Just VPN into Europe and tell them to stop stalking you. They have to stop, it's the law.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Rad-daddio posted:

Yep, in fact Alibaba has vendors that can supply spinal implants, hip replacements and a full array of surgical instruments to put them all in. My company was in talks to work with a different Taiwanese supplier for bone screws and short run surgical implants. They do everything through whatsapp.

There was a blow up not too long ago about doctors in Australia using poo poo quality imports for implants, wonder how many come from Ali.

Woden
May 6, 2006

norp posted:

I bought one of these that I put inside the closet (attached around the inside of the door frame)

US $1.54 34%OFF | 1m 2m 3m Wireless PIR Motion Sensor LED Bed Closet Night light 5V 2835 LED Strip AAA Battery Power Flexiable lamp Illumination
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/hFNTScY

It is amazingly bright and I just recharge the batteries every month or so. It does support 5v micro USB input if you have power handy.
The eneloops I power it with are far more expensive than the light, and that's way cheaper than an electrician callout fee.

Yeah same. Went the USB powered route so I have a ton of choices for power supplies, and if I ever upgrade my power points to those cool ones with USB ports I could just use those.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Carrion Luggage posted:

I do not wear a watch but I have gotten to a point in my life that I would like easy access to information at a glance without taking my phone from my pocket, like heart rate and O2 (doesn't seem (m)any do this), as well as sleep tracking without buying super pricey equipment. I was looking at getting a smart watch but there seem to be so drat many makers and models out there.

And holy poo poo do the prices vary.

O2 requires you to sit super still for a measurement, if they take readings while you're doing stuff they'll be highly inaccurate. If you've got a medical condition that requires you to check spO2, it's probably just as easy to get a cheapy that goes on your finger.

Woden
May 6, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

The missing D is really bothering me.

I don't c it.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Hirayuki posted:

My dad buys bulk socks at ErosWholesale.com (disregard the very sketchy domain name) for the homeless outreach at our church. It's probably easier and higher quality than anything from Ali.

Has anyone had any luck buying bed linens from Ali? I'm leery about the sizes, more than anything else.

Bangladesh is where all the cheap clothing/linen comes from, unless you want some specific design there should be some place cheaper locally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woden
May 6, 2006
It's the lack of security updates after a couple of years that forces me to upgrade.