Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Captain Invictus posted:

there's been talk that she's not going to appear in the show at all because she's not been mentioned anywhere while other later characters have.

That would make this the Ideal Adaptation

I agree and I'm okay with missing out on the one gag I liked from that character (that loving hand thing, it had me laughing real good) if it means not having to deal with the rest of the poo poo her appearance brings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I somehow missed that the human girl with the fivehead has a straight up spotlight reflection coming off it when I first watched. She better be a reoccurring character since she's in the opening and all because she's the best human not named Kobayashi

I was not expecting that gag and it made me laugh and I am glad they added it in. This adaptation is great and I hope it never stops.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Space Flower posted:

They're good at adding and expanding yeah. Like in the manga a spontaneous gift for Kanna becomes two connected scenes in ep 4.

Yeah, I think it was just some generic charm or something? I can't even remember. But they turned it into a cute scene.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So the anime and how it portrays Fafnir is pretty great. The way he's really down Makes it sound like he has a lot more history than just "Humans tried to steal his treasure" which is what the manga just brushed it off as to explain why he was so grumpy.

DisDisDis posted:

Linking jonjonaug today is some A+ comedic timing lmao

I know nothing about twitter nerds so what's the story here?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Glagha posted:

I mean on one hand the show lowered the skeev factor by making Kanna marginally less of a creep compared to the manga scene, but then we still had Titzalcoatl mashing her chest into a literal child's face so I guess it's a wash? I have confidence that this show will continue to be less skeevy than the manga though. Still crossing my fingers that certain characters will never appear.

It would have been less weird, slightly at least, if they had dropped the running gag about her getting naked around him all the time.

I am very confused.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Kanna's adventures in eating the natural world is my favorite subplot on the show.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

DisDisDis posted:

Like we all don't know who else fucks him everyday

I feel like he would wind up being more of a Bloodborne fan anyway.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

hoobajoo posted:

It is very out of place that all the other characters and relationships seem to mature or evolve over time, but this one it just exists for cheap fanservice and the same gag over and over. It feels almost like something from a different series.

In a desperate attempt to convince myself it's not just bad, it does serve to contrast her to the other two. Neither of them initially set out to befriend humans and through sheer luck managed to find people who accept them, and even like them. People who don't give a poo poo that they're horrifying dragons.

Lucoa meanwhile finds someone terrified of her and forces herself on him despite his constant protests, and their relationship goes loving nowhere.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

I didn't think the final scene meant us to empathise with Tohru's being selfish - the way she delivered the line read to me as apologetic, that she knew she shouldn't lash out at Elma like she did, but she's just having difficulty expressing the depth of her feelings for Kobayashi. Kobayashi then comforts her by opening up about her own uncertainties or vulnerabilities.

Between Elma not being seriously hurt and the fact that nothing about Kobayashi and Tohru's previous interactions really reads as abusive to me, I didn't really get that angle out of Kobayashi having to duck under Tohru's breath. ...But that's a read that seems like it depends greatly on personal experience, so I can't really fault anyone who feels different.

I don't get how people are getting abusive out of the scene either. Kobayashi never explained that Elma was working at her office, which is why they spent time together. Tohru has been pretty consistently insecure when it comes to Kobayashi and it makes sense for her to panic if she thinks another dragon is somehow stealing her away.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Anime hair genetics strike again I see.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Fangz posted:

I feel fairly confident Kobayashi will try some by the end.

It'll end on a cute, romantic note and then she'll just say she's still not going to eat the tail and completely kill the moment.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Kanna waiting for santa was the best.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Zeruel posted:

Kanna's stoic fluffiness is the best part of the show. :kimchi:

The ending bit where she's going around with her new year's money is great.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I don't want the show to end.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Eopia posted:

We can only hope it gets a second season and remains this good if/when there's enough material for it.

It could be like 100% original content at this point and I'd be okay with it. They did good.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

God drat that was a good ending. I'm joining the "doesn't need a second season" camp because they ended it on a pretty perfect note and I don't think they could really add more to it unless they got really creative and didn't actually focus on Kobayashi and Tohru.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

There Bias Two posted:

http://kotaku.com/my-eye-opening-trip-to-an-anime-maid-cafe-1795443946

In which the author hates the show and ends up going to a cringey Maid Dragon cafe in New Jersey.

Haha wow. It's literally "Stop liking things I don't like!" and she drags her room mate off to try and berate him into not liking the show. Then at the end casually tosses out that she loves Kill La Kill and it's okay to ignore the fan service in that, but not this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

HellCopter posted:

Iruru's clothing isn't the problem, it's the part where she's 3 feet tall and has boobs larger than her own head. It's, like, grotesque
She did get way better after her intro though and I would trust KyoAni to handle it.

I feel like you could salvage it by playing up the fact that she just is bad at looking human in ways other than child-sized with huge tits? Just have it be a reoccurring gag or something like the page where she tries to make hands and does it very badly.

• Locked thread