Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Good family. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

chumbler posted:

Yeah that scene was not in the manga from what I remember and is the one added scene I don't like, plus it's not in character for Kobayashi. The rest have been great and totally fit.

I think it was from what I can recall, with maybe a few differences. Not a great scene in either medium though.

The chapters the latest episode adapted were when the manga really started hitting for me though, and if anything I think the anime improved on these chapters a little. Kyoani is really nailing the emotional moments between the character, which were probably my favourite parts of the original anyway. It's super cute. :3:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

This has been a really good adaption. Everything's so cute! :3:

Also, did Lucoa have different shaped eyes in the manga as well? I don't remember that. Looks cool though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Explosions posted:

I liked the first episode of this but watching it is like watching a horror movie, except instead of waiting on edge for a monster to jump out and startle me I'm waiting for a seven year old with beachball cronenberg nightmare tits to appear.

???

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Portable Staplefrog posted:

I just started watching this and I'm confused. The dragon is working for Ms Kobayashi to repay her for some kindness, but what was that? Just for talking to her?

Kobayashi was really drunk at the time and doesn't quite remember it herself, and we're shown that moment from her perspective. So we don't really know yet. Tohru seems to think it was a pretty big deal though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

This show's wicked.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Darox posted:

It's possible for women to interact with each other without being lesbians.

Hard to believe but it's true.

There's definitely enough plausible deniability in there to consider Tohru and Kobayashi to just have a real close friendship or whatever, but i'd say it's honestly easier to see it as a developing romantic relationship considering stuff like the bathing scene or the blushing with the handholding or the jokes about how Kobayashi now knows how her dad felt when getting lectured by mom. Even if Kobayashi doesn't seem to be sexually interested in her (or anyone) at all.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hell Yeah, Parent's day. Also all those other episodes.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

im glad fafnir got a boyfriend

:yeah:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

The stuff I mentioned has largely already happened in terms of where the anime is. As said, this tohru and manga tohru are very different beasts.

I dunno, I think they're still pretty similar. Like, the original's main focus is on eccentric and weird humor due to the premise with a nice underlying theme of family and love, and the anime's just reversed that and made the themes of family and all that the main part with the gags secondary. The anime adapts Tohru the same way I feel, the focus is different but all her characteristics are things that existed in the original. They have removed a lot of the bad or unfunny scenes from the manga but I think that the main aspects of Tohru's attitude and personality and everything remain generally the same.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I enjoyed the look into the homelife of a terrible otaku and his mmo addict boyfriend. It was nice.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

HellCopter posted:

IIRC somebody did the math and there's no way to stretch the currently released material into 13 episodes while still avoiding the Iruru stuff.
But KyoAni isn't in the business of selling uncensored blu-rays so I have faith in them. Their anime-original scenes have been ace so far.

This latest episode only adapted two chapters, there's more than enough content for them to cover. And they're doing anime original things basically every episode anyway, some stuff in the preview for the next episode was original content.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

chumbler posted:

I would like some original stuff to help flesh out Elma.

Also we still have the hot springs episode to go.

I mean there's been anime original stuff for most of the characters, so I imagine Elma'd get some too unless she appears super late.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

QuantaStarFire posted:

So what are the odds that the anime caps off with an extended version of the encounter with Tohru's dad?

I'm expecting that or Kobayashi and Tohru's first meeting. Though I wouldn't be surprised if the final episode does both

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Negrostrike posted:

I guess you'll have to skip the entirety of ep 7 and maybe the rest.

What makes you say that?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

This is good.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nice Meltdown?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Brainiac Five posted:

Let's talk about something better, like whether Fafnir would be a good boyfriend or whether he'd leave his dirty socks out and refuse to cuddle.

He'd definitely refuse to cuddle, but he's a dragon who creates clothes through magic as part of an advanced transformation spell. So I don't know if he can even have dirty socks.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

chumbler posted:

Would Fafnir buy microtransaction stuff?

He has no money.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Good episode. I always like when Tohru gets introspective. She's an interesting character.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

My favourite part was Tohru being sad that it would be hard to introduce Kobayashi to her parents because they wouldn't understand their relationship :smith:

That was really sad though. :(

chumbler posted:

I will understand the relationship of my daughter, Tohru, and her wife Kobayashi.

Why'd you tell her to kill all humans then!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Elma's a good dragon and there was a good mum contest. Good episode.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kyoani probably just wanted to give more screentime and focus to a few of the side characters. And while this worked really well with Kanna and Fafnir it turns out Lucoa's main characteristics are big boobs and inappropriate interactions with a young child, so the extra scenes aren't great.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

InspectorCarbonara posted:

Yeah, I thought the episode kinda ended on a sour note too when it wasn't even brought up that Tohru's jealousy nearly killed Kobayashi, and then the rest of the scene framed Kobayashi as being in the wrong for not knowing how to return Tohru's feelings instead of Tohru being incredibly possessive.
Even just one line of Kobayashi yelling at Tohru before Tohru says she is selfish and wants attention would have made it better for me, but they completely ignore what just happened.

Like, I dunno. Tohru's laser beams have basically always been framed as a source of comedy and never treated seriously, even when it blows apart the house everything is fixed in an instant. Even in that scene it sends Elma spiralling off into the night sky like a cartoon villain, rather than it being a lethal and dangerous weapon.

I don't think they portrayed Kobayashi as ever being in any danger, so it didn't really bother me that they brushed over it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Elma is a very relatable dragon.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Most of the themes and stuff in the anime are things that existed in the original anyway. Even the anime original stuff are mostly like expansions of things from the comic. I think it just presents everything better, and focuses more on the stuff I liked most. Which I appreciate.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

She should've asked Tohru to turn her invisible.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

I liked how Tohru was dressed as the girlfriend wearing the Kimono while Kobayashi wore the boring guy clothes.

I also found it kinda hilarious how Tohru's maid persona went out the window and couldn't resist the siren call of the Kotatsu.

Well if they had a 3rd Kimono you know Tohru would not have let them leave until Kobayashi had tried it on.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Very good episode. I really like Kobayashi and Tohru's first meeting, just getting drunk and complaining about life together. Also, Kobayashi flirting with Tohru first. And the more in-depth look into Tohru's past and her issues was also nice. She's probably the most interesting character and i'm glad she's found happiness with her girlfriend.

Unique somber music for the episode preview has got me all sad and worried though. :ohdear:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

It kind of funny that Tohru was just an evil dragon before that.

I dunno, she hates the Gods and everything but she can't bring herself to kill a human despite threatening her. I think she comes off as a pretty good person honestly.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

There's a chapter in the manga which is looking to not be getting adapted where Elma opens up to Kobayashi and talks about how she doesn't like some of the things Order Dragons do. So y'know there's all sorts in these complicated Dragon factions. The ones in the series are just good people regardless.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah, i wish they didn't do the Otaku Face. Apparently a lot of the Takiya/Fafnir stuff is anime-original, so doing the otaku face in the manga where Takiya gets less development and screen time makes sense. Bu they should've dropped it for the anime

I'm a bit disappointed they didn't cover the one chapter that most focuses on Takiya and Fafnir, but I suppose they cover a lot of the same points anyway.

Xelkelvos posted:

I can unironically trust KyoAni to take a character like Iruru and not make her terrible. The latest translated chapter basically makes her like Kanna's sister which is adorable in its own right.

Huh, didn't realise there was a new chapter. It's cute.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Good hugs, good finale, good show, good family.

Kobayashi falling to pieces when Tohru left and slowly getting back into gear for Kanna's sake, but still being something of a mess was really sad. Also, a very good scene, but still really sad.

I would be happy with a season 2 but this is a pretty perfect end. Even if they should've kissed.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm upset they didn't adapt the most Elma-focused chapter. :(

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

Someone translated a new chapter. :nws: warning.

It's a good chapter.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Madtrixr posted:

Kobayashi suggested this idea to Tohru at some point, and Tohru said it wasn't the same or w/e. Dragons sure are weird huh guys?

What's the point of Kobayashi eating her tail if she doesn't realise she's eating her tail?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

el dorito posted:

what happens when kobayashi doesn't eat the tail?

does it get tossed in the trash and dragon dna contaminates the landfills and/or compost piles?

does it get ground up in the garbage disposal and now our ocean's fish are craving cooked dragon meat?

does it just get stockpiled in the freezer until kobayashi changes her mind?

or does she just feed it to kanna???

It magically decomposes in an environmentally friendly way.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kobayashi's expression is the best.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Well only one of them rents the apartment, the other doesn't have a paying job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zeruel posted:

Well to be fair the amount of work she does for free is astounding. Only asking to be sheltered and fed.

... I guess Kobayashi rakes it in hand over fist to be feeding 3 mouths, 2 of which are dragons.

Well Tohru doesn't exactly ask to be fed either considering she does all the cooking and everything.

Tohru also regularly dimension hops to get food herself. Which has gotta help the food budget.

• Locked thread