Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

DisDisDis posted:

I'm sanctioning and legitimizing this thread.

A lot more optimistic about the show after today's episode.

Yeah, I was kinda put off by the first episode. Especially the scene where Kobayashi stripped Tooru in public and screamed at her to be more embarrassed. But this episode won me back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

There's nothing wrong with Lucoa's fashion sense

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I guess the translator decided to make Maidragon into a story about a straight woman getting turned gay?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Motto posted:

Hopefully doesn't need to be said, but please don't badger individual employees

Jamie Marchi isn't some random Funimation employee, she's the credited writer of the dub.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

StrixNebulosa posted:

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid is the latest Kyoani show. It's based off of a cute gag manga about three friends. To save money, they all live together in one apartment.

They are good friends, and it's super, super charming. :3:

PV here.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

With the dub stuff, unfortunately the area the dub was made in could have a slight effect on that. Texas, as everyone knows, is the epicenter of fair portrayal of gay characters. But I've always believed that, if you are going to enter a media or production focused job, you should at the very least take some base level media training so that you don't make your company look bad when you respond to fans.

Funimation is in DFW, not Cut and Shoot.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
If Kobayashi says "You know I'm a woman, right" and Tohru keeps throwing herself at her, that means Tohru doesn't care that Kobayashi is a woman.

If Kobayashi says "I'm not into women" and Tohru keeps throwing herself at her, that means Tohru doesn't care what Kobayashi wants.

It's kind of amazing how much changing that single line completely fucks up the characters.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh poo poo, the script for the dub of that scene leaked!

quote:

Tohru: Actually, would you let Mr Fafnir stay with you for awhile
Takiya: Mr. Fafnir, huh?
Tohru: right
Takiya: Sure thing!
Tohru: Huh? Are you sure?
Takiya: It's fine, as neither of us are homosexuals.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

You never really think of Alaska as having good taste in anime

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

devtesla posted:

It's the first good show KyoAni's made in years :can:

Full Metal Panic, and just a whole bunch of nothing until now

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

chumbler posted:

I assume you are including Fumoffu there.

Oh yeah, Kyoani did a ton of good worth with the Full Metal Panic franchise. It's great to see them finally hitting that level of quality again.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

It's also a different apartment.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
That manga is hosed up

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
It seems like Kyoani is better at Dragonmaid than the Dragonmaid guy

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xeiros posted:

It's times like these I'm reminded how unlike most people I really am.

yeah no poo poo

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Stairmaster posted:

fafnir is a top

disagree

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Comrade Kirov posted:

Important reminder to us all.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

I wish this was the worst thing posted in this thread.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rodyle posted:

The Saikawa and Lucoa stuff is the worst and only Fafnir saved this episode

I wish they had left out the line where Lucoa offered the kid her body. Without that line, the joke is that Lucoa is just super oblivious about the effect she's having. With that line, the whole thing is kinda uncomfortable

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

dublish posted:

Also she does not want to eat Tohru's tail, no matter how much Tohru wants her to.

Eat the tail like groceries

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mill Village posted:

Lifeguards anywhere will cover up people wearing overly skimpy swimsuits.

That's not true.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dire Lemming posted:

It's not wrong, it's just that in some places the definition of too skimpy is completely naked.

What about nude beaches?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I can't can totally believe I spent 11 minutes watching that.

That's great.

Yeah, that is by far the best video on Youtube made by someone with Nightcore in their name

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

Function: For hug, Cosplay and....

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

hoobajoo posted:

the answer is just titties.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Lucoa plotline definitely seems like it doesn't fit in the show. Fafnir, he moves in with the guy, next time we see them we see how they live and get the confession and everything. Lucoa, she moves in with Shota, and every time after that, it's just boobs. All the other characters have stories about how they're getting something they need from these relationships, and it seemed like they were setting it up with Lucoa, when Shota said he didn't need her magic or boobs, it's like, OK, she's going to discover what she can offer another person emotionally, that's gonna be her story. But instead, all we get is boobs.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

dub-Kobayashi cares about slut shaming? What's she gonna say when she sees Lucoa for the first time, "I respect you clothing choices"?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't think I've ever heard a good little girl dub voice. It always sounds like a grown woman pitching her voice up.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

paragon1 posted:

only if you're the fat sweaty kid who can't stop loving it up for everyone

haha yeah it would suck to be that kid haha I can't even imagine

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Buckets posted:

Yeah, you see 'em in a picture in episode 6

Looks like a couple of mighty wizards if you ask me.

I really want a scene of Shouta's regular homelife that isn't just boob jokes.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raenir Salazar posted:

It's a reference to a kind of hosed up idea of love/obsession where I think the highest way of "connecting" with someone is them eating you. Which might say something about Dragon culture or maybe she's a huge nerd for praying mantis?

But it being poisonous still makes it a little confusing though.

There's an urban legend in Japan about girls putting their own blood into the Valentines chocolates they give to boys they like, I think it's a play on that.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Eat the drat tail, Kobayashi

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MOlCAHZR1c

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spiritus Nox posted:

I mostly liked that Takiya finally got to have a scene with Fafnir without having to wear his dumb Otaku Face.

Yeah, i wish they didn't do the Otaku Face. Apparently a lot of the Takiya/Fafnir stuff is anime-original, so doing the otaku face in the manga where Takiya gets less development and screen time makes sense. Bu they should've dropped it for the anime

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lucoa did nothing wrong

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
That lady really hates anime boobs

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can only picture the writer as Planet of the Apes/Soylent Green era Charlton Heston, manically running around the cafe, grabbing people by the shoulders. Screaming "Don't you understand? Don't you see it? It's a boob anime! Maidragon is full of boobs!" into their blank, uncomprehending faces.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zeruel posted:

Also Interviews with Monster girls is great.

wow really, you think this is "great"?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Captain Invictus posted:

The series is still in my queue of stuff to read, but isn't that character a literal succubus?

she is very erotic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
we don't get to see Lucoa battle? lame

• Locked thread