Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Leperflesh posted:

You know how you can get kind of a community in a long-running thread? Like you can have ongoing discussion with several people who hang out there and that's kind of cool. Well a few years ago we all got summarily dumped in D&D and for a long time that didn't seem to matter because the same posters were still there arguing about what kind of burrito is the superior burrito and how terrible Dianne Feinstein is.

But then suddenly there's ten D&D regulars dropping in to comment on something and they're all loving terrible and my mistake was engaging them like they were sane people you can have a conversation with.

There was a lull, but all the posters who got purged in the election toxxs have come back, and whoo boy, are they in a mood.

I was going to recommend you just go to Your City Sucks, but politics talk is a bit weird there. Sorry for the bullshit. :(

Spoeank posted:

The only non awful d&d thread is the politoons thread and that's only because you can read it while skipping literally every single comment and not miss anything and also not interact with d&d

There's pages of terrible comments in between strip drops though, makes it a bit of a drag to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah there's a CA thread in the travel and tourism forum, but it's infrequently posted-in and mostly about where people should visit on vacation.

The answer is "Mendocino."

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Alaois posted:

If someone starts to sympathize with a Nazi after they see them get punched in the face, chances are they already sympathized with the Nazis to begin with.

You dense motherfucker

Would you two gently caress already?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Poles are the Iranians of Europe, when you really think about it, in that both countries are vaguely shaped like Ohio.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Spoeank posted:

Good news guys the 49ers aren't the dumbest team I root for anymore :c00l:

Jim Harbaugh was arguably more important to the Niners than Boogie was for the Kings, on the basis that the Niners actually managed to succeed while with him.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Spoeank posted:

It's way beyond just Cousins. Trading Boogie was the culmination of a lotta terrible ideas.

Which is a shittier idea, Levi's Stadium being all the way in Santa Clara or Knightman.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Blitz7x posted:

I have to go to Suriname for a week to work

What the gently caress is a Suriname

The country I keep mistaking as the site for the Jonestown Massacre.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

BlindSite posted:

Best movie of all 8 star wars movies.

Come at me haters.

Hello, I've come to hate.

First fifteen or so minutes might be the best in the prequels, though.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

BlindSite posted:

As if you didnt like the murder of kids and then lightsabre funtimes on volcano world.

The volcano fight was over-choreographed, or choreographed stiffly anyway. Felt too much like a video game. I kept expecting a QTE prompt.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

No Irish Need Imply posted:

most underrated actor ever is john goodman

I kinda agree.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Kalli posted:

I really liked the Vengeance Trilogy.

Everyone loves Oldboy, but Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance is hilarious if you enjoy extremely black comedy, and Sympathy for Lady Vengeance is one of my favorite movies.

I saw Amelie on a date and that was pretty solid as well.

The Russian Stalingrad that came out a few years back is so melodramatic that it kind of works as camp if you like, say, the Mel Gibson style of historical fiction.

Sympathy for Lady Vengeance is definitely my fave out of that (though I've never seen Sympathy for Mister Vengeance). As good as Oldboy is, there's something about little scenes throughout like the snowy ending and kinda how disturbing the final retribution is in a satirical way that really puts it over the top for me.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Cats own, actually.

I have a black one who always falls asleep on my shoes if I leave them out.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

so uh what books are yall reading

Dispatches from the Edge by Anderson Cooper. I'm hoping to eventually get around to doing The Satanic Verses, but I keep balking for some reason despite the first chapter being zany fun.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Chichevache posted:

I tried reading Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. I thought it was an absolute slog and I set it aside. I promised my favorite professor I would finish it someday, so I'll give it another shot sooner or later. Oddly enough, when it comes to short stories and essays I've enjoyed everything DFW has written. A Supposedly Fun Thing I Will Never Do Again is one of the most amusing stories I've ever read. Hell, he almost got me to go vegetarian with Consider the Lobster.

I'm in a similar boat, in that I enjoyed, "Incarnations of a Burned Child," but any time I've tried to delve into Infinite Jest, I get a headache.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Sour Diesel posted:

i bet i can kick your asses

i've seen enough anime to know all the moves

Fairly certain Ehud would break you into toothpicks.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Sour Diesel posted:

benny this is not the confrontation u want im ver powerful

show me ur power

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Would a lazy piece of poo poo be hand-crafting shrimp and scallion dumplings for his evening meal?

Can we blame weed for this post. DARE really wants to.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Me, I'm just high... on life. Really makes you think, doesn't it.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Spoeank posted:

My grandma suddenly died last week and I just got back from the vet because when I came home I found my cat dying on the floor from throwing a clot. She didn't make it either.

Call your grandmas hug your pets

I haven't talked to my grandfather in over a year and didn't know him very well, and found out Sunday night he died from a massive heart attack/stroke.

Get to know your relatives while you have them around, even if they're total misanthropes.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

A ton of orange juice, lysine pills, even more vitamin C.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

swickles posted:

I begin Catholicism 101 tomorrow, anyone got any advice?

Learn to like fish for Fridays in Lent.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

There is one buried in the middle of Cary, outside of Raleigh. I didnt expect one to be this close to me considering that I have lived here for 5+ years and never heard of the place.

Literally the same revelation happened to me after reading that. Now I have to check it out, even though it's in the most obnoxiously clustered away area in the suburbs and there's far easier Asian market to get to in the area.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yeah I'll check it out eventually. What's the other Asian market in the area?

Also, poo poo, I forgot there was another TFF goon in/near Raleigh.

Grand Asia Market on Buck Jones near Crossroads. Had their buffet once, it was excellent.

I'll also go to bat for California's flag, it's a classic.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Fish is not really that great of a food,

Ross, get off your alt-account.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Ehud posted:

I started lifting to combat depression and now I just want to be powerful

Probably why I'll start it too.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Cats and pop tarts and exercise all own. I will not let all this negativity stand.

I wish the best for your cat, Leperflesh.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

It's coke until it's soda. Until it's coke again. And then soda.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

I'm religious, but this game is testing it.

Oh hey, go UNC.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Crushing certain kinds of wasps unleashes a swarm chemical, I believe, but I could be wrong on that.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

So what are y'all count as your greatest heartbreak? No divorce stories allowed, too sad.

Serious Answer: Running out of money to finish out my fourth year of college.

Joke Answer:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Shangri-Law School posted:

gently caress you Kalli. gently caress you. Yeah, haircuts are the same as decapitation. If Trump's presidency kills off your breed of glib, indiscriminate cynicism, then maybe the untold amounts of suffering will have been worth it.

gently caress you forever. Die you stupid gently caress.

:chloe:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Generic cats names in fiction:

(A) Paws
(B) Spot
(C) Isis

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Shangri-Law School posted:

Kalli represents the "both sides are equally bad" school of the left to a T. For all of the Democrats' faults on, for instance, police reform, they did not nominate Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III to be Attorney General. Who is killing whatever progress has been made.

So to reiterate, gently caress you Kalli.

On the day Trump and Clinton echo each other, this is the day you choose to die on this hill.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

poo poo 40, would not draft.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Ostentatious posted:

Let me tell you about my favorite anime Roots

Go on.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Ehud posted:

Should I read the Stephen King book It?

It's alright, spare one chapter that's like, "What the gently caress were you thinking, Stephen?" It's kinda too much of a hodge-podge of whatever was crossing his mind, pure coke mania basically, and I think it pales compared to Salem's Lot and The Shining by a long shot, but most of King's work does. By and large, it's one of his more readable works, though.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

I really wanted to like Doctor Sleep, but it's two or three chapters, and then a bunch of pages that endlessly references those chapters and then a bunch of nonsense and some kinda boring AA testimonials.

The Shining is still one of my top five favorite novels ever, though.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

a neat cape posted:

I'm gonna marathon the first season of 24 tonight

Good lord, why?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Ehud posted:

Tonight I watched a middle eastern horror movie called Under The Shadow. It was cool and good and sad.

Oh, is that the Iranian vampire film? I really want to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

I might've heard of that too. Sounds cool as gently caress as well. Really, I just want to see more Iranian films in general.

• Locked thread