Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

this is the most correct sentence in this thread so far. gently caress custom units

Yeah, it feels like giving players too much control over things like ship design has affected the balance. I'd love it if they'd let you play with what the hulls looked like without affecting the loadouts.

Stellaris should probably take a few steps further away from 4X and more towards their usual grand strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Personally, the ship design is one of those fiddlier aspects of the game that, while fun to play with, makes it harder to balance. Much like the current planetary grid system. No idea on what would be the ideal replacement really. The ship designer's only merit is that it's fun to tinker with, unlike the planet grids.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Wiz posted:

There is exactly 0% chance that the ship designer is ever getting cut. Asides from the fact that I personally enjoy it, it's both a 4x staple and something that a lot of people want (we have metrics on this).

How about the planet grid?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Wiz posted:

The planet grid is... alright. It works but it's too micro-intensive, especially when you're upgrading a lot of buildings. I also don't like how it makes your planets feel like giant mines/farms rather than places people live. Reworking it is not out of the question but it'd be a pretty huge investment of time.

Well, I hope something gets done in some way. As you say, it's too fiddly. Why is the player, the disembodied spirit of this great space empire, individually deciding where each pop and planet goes? And it feels really weird when everything is squeezed onto a 5x5 grid (usually less than that) like your entire population is limited to this tiny area around the dismantled colony ship. Obviously it's not meant to be taken literally but there's this big disconnect with the way it's meant to represent a populated planet.

I like the ship designer but as with the planet grid, I feel like there's just way too much to fiddle around with. It is different from planets in that you're not fiddling around with every individual ship, just the blueprints.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Lunethex posted:

That was a really bad game

Yeah seriously. I didn't play it a ton because of that but the ground segments were the absolute worst part of the game.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

CommissarMega posted:

I want to build doomships, is that too much to ask. Seriously, slap some engines on an orbital habitat, makes the 'buildings' different weapons and poo poo, aw man that'd be awesome :allears:

Pfft, that's small time. Eventually, I hope you can build an artificial star, send it spinning past a system and completely destroying it as its mass wrenches planets out of their orbits, flinging them into the void.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Poil posted:

What ship design is that? :stwoon:

Those are fungoid ships IIRC, just not the usual color scheme.

It might overcomplicate combat but at least visually, broadside batteries would be cool to implement.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Korgan posted:

Nah that's vanilla fungoid ship colour.

Just be aware there's a bug with fungoid battleships, the artillery bow won't display weapons for some reason. You won't notice while you're flying them around shooting alien vessels but it was pretty noticeable when I was designing my disgusting mushroomman fleet. :v:

It looked weird to me since they're usually more blackish with green lighting but I guess the yellow lighting makes it look different.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Archonex posted:

Yeah, the Prethoryn appear to be based off the Tyranids from WH40K.

IE: The horrific galaxy eating race that was one of WH40K's equivalent of an end game crisis in Stellaris... until the Imperium realized that the endless swarms they just barely fought off were just a few scout fleets and hive queen equivalents mindlessly wandering the dark spaces between galaxies to find something new to eat. The real galaxy devouring armada of space monsters was just as big as something that eats galaxies would be, and it's probably on it's way to the Milky Way.

Given that we can't explore other galaxies and the Unbidden look like they might be getting some interactivity added maybe we'll end up being able to see genestealers genetically modded races allying with them showing up in the game?

I think one of the best yet simple revelations that just makes the jaw drop with the tyranids is that the third big invasion is coming from beneath the galactic plane. It's not a clear indication of the scale of the threat but it sure makes you stop and think.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

GotLag posted:

Hey my parrots are still wearing the space suits, but the helmet is a new, deployable version.

I can't find the pictures you're talking about, but I suspect the parrot's helmet is to stop it pecking the poo poo out of everything in reach.

Also why don't space snapping-turtles get clothes?

They'd be too snappily dressed

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Does anyone else get buggy text entry in the Empire biography after about five or so lines?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

GotLag posted:

Feature I'm wishing for right now: the ability to change the map colour of another empire.

My neighbour is wearing the same dress as me, this is the worst party ever.

There's one way to fix that.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It could be an interesting event chain, having members of your hive mind abducted for study and/or "liberation".

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Baronjutter posted:

For me anyways, a good paradox game finds a balance between giving the player a cool narrative experience that generates stories and gives the player the freedom to imagine "what would I do if I was a medieval king/victorian king/space king", but also has proper gameplay mechanics to give believable enough results to those actions and make your accomplishments (and failures) feel meaningful and earned. No one complains france is unbalanced compared to Huron or the game is unbalanced because rationally to win you should always pick france, but they will rightfully complain that one idea set or another is unbalanced. Even with idea sets they don't all have to be perfectly equal, some are going to be more applicable to more situations than others, but they should all have their potential roles and none should be an "always pick" or "never pick". Stellaris with its perfectly symmetrical starts forces everything in the game to be competitively balanced, which I think eliminates a lot of interesting options and play styles. Why not start as a larger but decaying empire filled with unhappy factions? Why not start as a pre-space civ on the cusp of interstellar travel? Why not start as a member of a dense group of related-race empires that exist in a sort of HRE-like structure? Because that wouldn't be balanced? In situations like that, an obsession with balance (in absolute score/power sense) isn't so great. It's fine to have objectively "worse" starts or choices, so long as they all lead to potentially enjoyable games. I guess I just think the symmetrical starts in stellaris close so many interesting gameplay doors and force a need for perfect balance. But it's not really the idea of "balance" that's bad, but the symmetrical starts and singular focus of the game on military expansion as the only path to victory that force this sort of balance.

Well, given their goals are to give players more options to roleplay the space empires they want to, I imagine it'll come later. Ideally you'd be able to have a lot of starting options, like playing the remnants left behind after the majority of your Empire ascended.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Swedish Horror posted:

Hey, I wonder what the Stellaris hashtag on twitter has? Maybe funny screenshots or stories?

Oh.

The perfect solution to this is have it be an ingame option to only use your selected phenotype, then have events that spawn if your empire is using it. Enigmatic Observers will wonder what happened to the rest of your people. Curators will note that you've changed since they last observed you, etc. Depending on how far you want to pester these people, even have a new Empire personality for rumormongering that'll comment on it whenever you talk to them, maybe even have it be a -opinion against you with certain AI personalities.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

JuniperCake posted:

I think the perfect solution would be to not accommodate that poo poo at all. Like people will make whatever mods they want but there is absolutely no reason to put something like that in the official game.

Well ideally Paradox would be able to ban that poo poo but that's a whole can of worms in all sorts of ways.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Darkrenown posted:

FE just declared on me. Something about "Stop genociding everyone you soulless robots". loving does not compute:

:feelsgood:

Although in retrospect I should have processed them into food (which I no longer need) and gifted the result out to other Xenophile empires...

Wouldn't it be lovely if you could trade food to an Empire whose citizens you ground into food?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Just give me Dropfleet Commander ships.

Laser ship! There's a heavy cruiser with a second laser on the dorsal hull.

Even bigger laser ship!

Let's just stuff all the guns on our ship!

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

GotLag posted:

I enjoy Hyperdrive-only the most out of the current options, because it adds terrain to the galaxy and creates strategic chokepoints. And then you tech up to jump drives and start jumping into other empires' secure areas and loving their poo poo up.

What I would like to see in My Perfect Vision Of Stellaris would be a hybrid system:
1. Empires start with warp drives - relatively slow but can go anywhere eventually
2. Research unlocks hyper lanes - not present in a majority of systems, and joining stars further away than immediate neighbours
3. More research unlocks wormhole generators - expensive stations that let you throw ships a long distance, but they have to find their own way back
Any ship should be able to use any and all of the above in combination (might have to have some kind of setting on fleets/wormhole stations to set whether allies/military/civilians can use them). On being given a move order, the ship/fleet picks the route that gets it there soonest, which will probably be warping to the nearest system with a hyper lane, hypering for a bit, then warping to the final destination.

4. End-game/ascendancy tech - [psi] jump drives

Thank you for reading my awful ideas.

I like this idea.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Psycho Landlord posted:

How did a loving science pun start this godawful ship design chat again

GotLag posted:

Oh, speaking of utterly devoid of humour.

Shouldn't you be busy campaigning to have the ship designer removed from the game?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

GunnerJ posted:

I'm going to go ahead and call this a game problem, not a mod problem.

It's a both problem. Due to the way the game handles techs, a mod that introduces new techs should take that into account.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Strudel Man posted:

Good lord, the End of the Cycle is nigh-impossible to get. 5% chance of the 'pick a patron' event, 50% chance of successful contact, 2% chance of it being the end of the cycle means you only have a 0.05% chance per shroud adventure of getting it - or an average 1,386 attempts over 6,930 in-game years to have a fifty-fifty chance.

You don't put dogs in zoos.

You do if they're alien dogs.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Strudel Man posted:

If they're on your homeworld, they're not alien dogs. :colbert:

Doesn't mean they're native.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I would've preferred Stellaris with a static map (at least at its base, with varying degrees of RNG galaxy generation) but that ship has sailed. Would be nice to play in a galaxy with a sense of history though, like being able to generate a timeline of a few decades, and then choose when and where to start (or even take over an existing nation), etc.

• Locked thread