Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

My problem is that the ground game is utterly and completely irrelevant. There's no strategy surrounding troops; a player with a strong army is going to lose every war against a player with a strong fleet. The best way to defeat a strong army is to take them out before they even reach the planet, and the only reason armies are vulnerable in space is because you can't make starships that have troop capacity. IMO it's the worst part of what is otherwise a genuinely amazing game.

Yeah i wish it could be viable to focus on troops and neglect ships a little bit. Wanna send commando teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Aethernet posted:

Yeah - or the three directions of travel fighting for dominance and when one looks like it's getting on top its respective crisis arrives.

Or, when losing, they make an ill-advised choice out of desperation.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
So here's a fun anecdote: started a game on a spiral galaxy, got plonked down in a middle arm. To my spinward side are cool ice elves, next arm in on the core side are awesome tentacle bros. Really great relationship, mutually beneficial all around. But later on I find a pack of dickhole bird lords one arm in from my exact position. They don't respect democratic ideals and appear to hate are freedoms.

We've been talking poo poo for years, so I decided to gently caress with them by dropping colonies right next door, that way they're completely boxed in by squidmen on one side and a contingent of elves, slugs, and my own god fearing googly eyed mushroom guys. Works great, got some great planets, and they're so loving pissed.

Pissed enough to slow boat a warp drive over and put an outpost on a key hyperlane route that totally blocks me off from any other decent planets. gently caress. I figure I'll have to declare war and bust that loving thing, but here is the interesting part: their fleet capacity is poo poo, but their tech is superior. Kinda nervous but excited to start this thing.

Also I found them when I was doing the cult event chain -- 2/3 of the cultists spawned in their territory, they instantly closed borders and blew up the big ship themselves. Fuckers.

Ps one of the planets I colonized had the ancient terriforming machines, I reactivated them, and the planet completed the process to become... the same type? Huh.

Anyway I got a good feeling that the giant alpine Venus fly traps I uplifted will be a major deciding factor that proves I should own the bird worlds. It was interesting that I uplifted then from stream power and with maybe two months to go they started flocking towards my enclaves because they were so psyched for space. It put me to 118/100 uplifted and I had to wait another month for it to finalize anyway. They're good people and like the majority of my empire hate clothes.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Bloodly posted:

I'm not saying you should be able to play without a fleet

After my last game (charismatic secretary birds, they smell like sugar and spice, gonna submit to goon pack ha), where I somehow ended up dead poo poo last in fleet tech, but galaxy dominant in army tech, I would be interested in playing thru a run where that could be a very valid strategy instead of a dead end. (Well, it made all my planets impregnable fortresses with no real effort, but it wasn't something that could be used offensively).

Basically, if you get one decent army tech you're army-good, but you're going to have to get several times more comparable fleet techs to be fleet-good. I'd welcome some kind of way to make it possible that any mix and match combo of that is the same level of empire-good.

I guess the extreme level on one side would be Godzilla stepping thru a stargate, and the other side would be surgically vitrifying all opposition without leaving the comfort of the ship

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Gonna even triple post, you can't stop me.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

I found myself reflexively clicking "Enter the Shroud," even though it was just a screenshot. Yeah I'm prob gonna buy this.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Wiz posted:

Keep in mind you'll also be able to change empire ethics in Banks so if you decide that robots aren't for you after all and you'd actually like some space magic, you can work to turn your empire spiritualist. It's just that you can't do that and also keep your robots.

Awww man, robot space pope was one of my fav leaders.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Baronjutter posted:

I still illogically yearn for a "pre warp" start along with some pre-warp content/stuff to do. In my fantasy FTL tech its self would be just one of the early-game techs, and before you get it you'd be doing stuff like getting your first space station up and running and colonizing/mining/exploring your own solar system.

The start in stellaris feels like some modern day people were suddenly given some FTL ships and it's their first time in space since their home system is totally unexplored. I was always the nerd who would start pre-warp in Moo2 and ignore the engine techs as long as I could, instead focusing on industrial and social/bio tech role playing a society that thinks traveling to the stars is frivolous and why invest in that when there's so much room for growth and development in our home system? It's not like there's other aliens out there competing for systems, what's the rush?

One thing that's interesting is that there are a bunch of techs that you start with them already researched. IIRC they're stuff like "now you can build a construction ship / mine / army / etc," So hypothetically someone could make a mod that let you do this. It'd be weird to balance because you have crap pops and start the regular game with a lot of minerals worth of infrastructure already, but it could be cool. Maybe you could start with the basic space station and upgrade it to build non-ftl ships.

--

I started a new game of despotic empire or whatever, normally I don't do this. I get a war scientist right off the bat and take a gamble researching centralized command, and find an rear end in a top hat nearby who can't get to me because I have wormholes and they don't. Also get advanced spaceport right off the bat. My species is strong and resilient.

The only other nearby species are all pre-warp, so I decide I'm gonna go full conquer instead of spamming colony tech like I used to. I'm actually getting really pumped up because if I can snag all these chumps quickly I can also overwhelm my initial rival immediately, and this should put me in a really solid position for the rest of the game. The pre-ftl guys had some really nice systems around them.

So the starting governor has architectural sense and it shaves a good amount of time and cost off of the command center, and I build the elite army with some drones cause gently caress it. Follow it up with like four more regulars. Decent general options. Get my ships and the marines into position. Plenty of influence due to rivaling the zealots and my starting overlord had some good perks. Can't land. This is an older version of the empire on this PC, and I forgot that species you make are not saved in the cloud. I have xenophile instead of militarist. Goddamn it.

I named these guys Vool Consolidated Regions, and I thought it was neat that in that on tweet with the slave uprising the planet was named like Vool'u and the slaves were the exact same portrait.

--

Hey, for whoever is making the GOON EMPIRE PACK, should I wait for the update to drop or should I just say gently caress it and barf them out now?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Still want there to be a way where if you keep drawing a ton of army techs and few ship techs you can be more competitive than just having impregnable fortress worlds.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

GlyphGryph posted:

Theres no xenophilia there though. Thats like claiming you love dogs and thats why you took one and chopped off its head and grafted the body to your hip to keep it alive.

If a human hive organism can have pet dogs, regular hives should at least be able to have pet species in their empires.

Also based on what we have seen I dont understand how the idea of converting pops to not be hive minded anymore would even possibly make sense. They arent being mind controlled, they are appendages.

That would be like someone chopping off your hand to "free it" and modifying it to live independentantly. What would that even mean, haha. Closest I can came is putting the brain of one of your dudes into the drones and wearing it as a flesh suit.

I do hope hive minders can actually conquer and integrate other hive mind pops though. Let me kill my enemies and gain their power by grafting their body parts to my own!

this is all completely solved and resolved.

You just need to be able to manipulate Ѱ.

also I was basically beat one post after yours, so did anyone else notice the :black101: BLOOD COURT :black101:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
If you put an admiral in the fed fleet do they get to keep him?
Just joined my first fed and did get the bug where it just does whatever the last owner said to do. I thought this was how it was supposed to be.

Also it apparently doesn't do anything to cap, and I guess I'm the only one able to build big ships at this point, so can I just crank out a few fed battleships every time I get president and eventually end up with a mega doom fleet?

It was cool that the fed ships I build aren't locked to wormhole like my normal ships are, although these ones are hyperlane and I can't see the routes because the tech never came up.

I got the gas giant dwellers event for the first time, that one's pretty fun.

Dunno who said to try expanding slowly and only colonize when your last planet has 4 labs, but it works. Infuriating and you can open yourself up to getting leapfrogged bad, but it does work. I basically sell mutual research agreements to my federation mates for a decent amount of my income. I like to hit up their protectorates too. I got a cool event where one of the officers in the science ship got promoted, she came out as a level two with genetic engineering and touch of genius. This snowballed into the genetic techs that make leaders live 50 extra years and start with extra stars, and all my guys are five stars and were already venerable, and I had a pretty good voidcraft guy, so it's working out well.

My ships suck tho and I constantly lose a ton of corvettes. Are they supposed to be treated like disposable chaff? I don't remember it being quite like this. Never lost any cruisers, and only lost a few destroyers, but those corvettes just instantly flip over and die. This may well be because I think I'm the only one who has cruiser tech or above in this game. I'm rebuilding like half the fleet every engagement, but I don't know if it's a good idea to just build big ships.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Litany Unheard posted:

If they want to go that route with a future DLC it will require revamping the entire pop/planet development structure. Which I would welcome, but I haven't seen anything to suggest they want to focus on that aspect of the game.

Besides, fixing the fleet and army stuff has to be a way higher priority.

Replace these chump mode collections of postage stamps with a geodesic grid that is directly visible on the surface of the planet itself. Bam, one to one representation of pops and buildings all up on the globe, including local climate.

:getin:

Better get ready for fighting on planets with actual armies

:unsmigghh:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Ocean preference gives 80 habitability on water tiles no prob.

The real brain buster to figure out how to implement under this would be gaia worlds. You want those to be generic gaia tiles, or some kinda exotic mix of tiles that looks like the cover of a yes album? I know what I'd do.

E: tell me you wouldn't be filled with joy living on this planet:

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 7, 2017

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Dog Kisser posted:

Sorry to keep spamming pictures, just playing with colour differences.

edit: vvv Sure, will do!

Is it possible to link disposition to portrait? It'd be amazing if some friendly empire ended up with a synth leader and you went to trade some minerals or whatever and got

"Blorg! Your beautiful excretions are a joy to behold! Please, what can we do for you? :love::love::love::love:"

E: Also make the different colors have different pupils

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 20, 2017

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

GunnerJ posted:

Would be kinda neat if they devolved to pre-sapience for later uplift as individuals.

That would be cool.

For the first time I decided to do a xenophobe/pacifist/spiritualist empire, and I colonized a planet with chimp-birds with the intention that I would eventually uplift and enslave them. Instead they're all instantly set to purge. My purge settings are currently on 'displace' but it makes sense that these guys can't just get up and leave. So do I have to go into demographics to stop it or is there no way to keep them alive?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Also, how do I get the fancy pistol shrimp guys? Wiki says you just need to be logged in with a paradox account, and I am, but I don't have them. I do have the blue birb. Also I have to log in every time I launch the game for some reason.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

NextSundayA.D. posted:

You have to opt into the bradbury beta in the beta tab of the properties menu of Stellaris to get the shrimp.

Caustic Soda posted:

Pre-sentient treatment is a separate policy from purging. Like treatment of pre-FTL civs, the policy only appears once you find some. Pre-sentients be tolerated or wiped out, no in-between.

Thanks!

I started a new game as the powerful Shell of Iron: Very Strong, Slow Breeders, Nonadaptive, Industrious. Government is Assembly of Clans: Warrior Culture Democracy + mining guilds. A new faction came out called the Glorious Banner so I decided to start fights (I usually play pacifist).
So I go to start a war and I was going over all the different war goals, loving around, and I wanted to check my stats irt the domination tree, I wanted to double check that I had the starter from that to make vassalization cheaper. I did, but when I went back to the war I couldn't actually do any war goals, it was stuck on the page where you can invite others to the war. This sucked because I wasn't sure if I picked vassal or tributary.

I think both setting up sectors and wargoals should be similar in the sense that you can freely mess around and make any hypothetical changes you want, and then you actually have to hit commit before it takes effect. It'd be helpful if there was a way to know exactly how outposts will affect the map as well.

Anyway with that combo plus a few very early techs my armies were up to like 7 or 8 damage when normally they'd only do like 3, so that was kinda cool. War Snails, man.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I was looking up armies on the wiki and apparently my snail guys were able output damage that rivals a titanic beast on their own. This is not the geneseed or clone commando version, this was regular guys maybe five years or less into the game.
This is totally pointless and insane, but that poo poo really stacks. IIRC the boosts I had at the time were:
Very Strong
Powered Exoskeleton
Warrior Culture
recruited @ an Academy

With no general or attachments their max damage was like 8 and change. According to the wiki titans are max 9 damage. I can only imagine the morale damage was much less than godzillas though.

A while ago I had a weird string of luck where I was getting next to no ship tech but it was army on top of army stuff, and ever since then I've been weirdly interested in the ground combat part. I never went out of my way to try and max it out though I still wish ground combat was more important and cooler. It would be awesome to laser focus and create some kind of stargate tech and just directly assault people, but you would be pretty weak on the space side of things.

I don't know what you could do to ground combat to make it more interesting, unless you were able to design armies like how you design ships. Maybe just make it so there were infantry, cavalry, air support, and that's it? Different combos would be more effective against certain other compositions? Each hangar module in orbit counts as a bonus air army if you have the right tech?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I think ground combat should deff be in, it's an important part of a ton of sci fi. It should also be fun. Also xeno hordes as terror weapons that count as atrocities for the stop doing atrocities war goal is cool to me.

I agree that the ability to wage war is based totally on spaceports and it's completely impossible to send new troops to reverse an invasion or cement your success. Maybe some ways to turn this around would be to make recruitment and transports significantly faster, and letting planets themselves build smallish ships?

If ground armies were much more of a rapid response thing, you have the potential to make decisions like sniping someone's spaceport-less planet, but also adding in other things like ground based buildings to try and prevent it. Maybe you don't want to build spaceports on every drat planet but you're willing to sacrifice a tile or two to harden the target?

If stellaris moved away from a spaceport centric design you could also have things like weapons arrays that shoot space ships and stuff like that. On the one hand people would be more likely to build ports on small planets to insure they're somewhat protected (and not waste tiles on it), but on the other hand you could have a port and space defence tiles on a big planet and make it a tough nut to crack.

So maybe a planet has some defense tiles. You could send armies by themselves and take attrition until they land, or you could blow up the tiles with bombardment and then land your guys.

Would wars be too hard to manage? I dunno.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Guilliman posted:

On a completly different note;
I've started experimenting with custom planet graphics based on planet modifiers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSzX7v5vbb4

Very much just testing and messing around with event code and the planet graphics files. But really cool/rare modifiers could have a visual effect on planets. Stuff like hive world remains could show part of the planet as "corrupted/infected"
Precursor city remains could show city scapes etc.
Doing one for every planet class might be texture heavy though, I'll see.

Neat. Don't forget shadow play, you could do some cool stuff with multiple cloud layers.

Aethernet posted:

I would like this, especially if it was coupled with the ability to build repair stations in deep space where your fleet could essentially hide while recuperating. We have nebulas in the game, but their effect is so minimal they might as well be decoration. Let me hide poo poo in them, Paradox.

Same, but fleets in them should be blind as well. Make it so any fleets, stations, or planets inside are unable to put sensors beyond the system they're currently in.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
IMO in the early game it's worth manually exploring and then a combo of manual/auto. By mid I like to be on auto.

E: mostly because the early game is when it's worth fiddling around and being optimal as you can. The rewards from it are proportionally greater and might snowball. Once you get to a point it just doesn't matter and I start sectoring and autoexploring.

Also every single game I try to snag the precursor but have only accomplished it twice. Once the cybrex were pretty far down the arm, but it was empty so it was kinda cool to send far colonies. (I've never been able to get the actual living metal from any source for some reason). The second time I'm preeety sure the game generated a new system very close to my homeworld with the big worm guys. That was a neat one, but I think I would have surveyed that system because it was within two warps from earth. 3 other times I finished the chain and either never got a message where the homeworld was or it was already grabbed by someone else instantaneously.

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 29, 2017

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I decided to start a new game as humans and everyone's an rear end in a top hat. Literally all empires I can make contact with are authoritarian militants. Should be interesting. Normally I don't go with military tech right off the bat, but I think I'm gonna have to liberate these lettucemen and cow people.

Also I got the probe event but I can't access one because it's too far to warp, so that'll be interesting.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Mister Adequate posted:

Game should have a no-FTL mode where you have to slowboat around, it takes 5 years to cross your home system and 50 to get to the nearest start. I know there's mods along those lines but it should be official. In fact, not 'a mode', the only mode.

Then add Newtownian physics.

sounds too yhut-y to me

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
What should I do in this situation? I just got my 4th planet, decided to make one into it's own sector and will only add more systems to this sector later. Planning on letting it just colonize the nearby worlds by itself as the tech comes in.
    In this game Alpha Centauri has:
  • Al-Karak: as listed. This planet has a level [e: I wrote the spaceport wrong and it's on the gif anyway]. Half populated for now. Has unpopulated power tiles.
  • Alpha Centauri II: 2 mineral mining station
  • Alpha Centauri III: Huge savanna world with a 4 power mining station for now
  • Alpha Centauri IV: same as II
  • Alpha Centauri V: some bullshit barren world with nothing.

Anyway, I'm looking at sector tax rates, only care about power for right now. How am I supposed to read this? I guess look at this gif.

It seems like part of the UI is indicating that I'm taking negative power from the planet, so giving power to the sector, but it also seems like I'm still taking power somehow and putting that sector into the hole? How should I resolve this? Was gonna just dump in a couple hundred electrons but I dunno what is actually going on here. Is it just because the sector has no money and is naturally running into the red?

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Sep 24, 2017

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I'm just saying it's really throwing me off here with the numbers. As tax goes up it appears that my monthly power generation goes down. The # for the sector's monthly power generation goes from -2 to 0. But it also says that the sector is going from "break even at zero tax" to "-2 at 75% tax."

The screen is conflicting is all.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
No, as I increase the tax, I receive less money

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

OwlFancier posted:

Well you're not getting money either way because sectors won't drain your empire coffers automatically, but the interface doesn't handle tiny numbers very well, and it's probably not helped by the sector being in cutoff mode because it has no money and insufficient generation. Frankly I would suggest just taking it out of the sector until it's self sufficient.

I'm already just gonna pay it off manually until the governor deals with it, i'm only interested in what is supposedly going on with my power here.

At 75% tax my Empire monthly income is 15. At 0% my income is 18. Where is this energy going? Why is it going somewhere if you're not supposed to be able to share income with sectors, only tax out of sectors? (obviously one time give/take exists, I mean monthly income/expenditure here)
One part of the sector screen says it's going into the sector, sort of, but that same screen indicates the sector is getting even further into debt.

This is iron man, so I don't want to do it, but if I wanted to leave this guy as is, give no money but let the governor deal with it, what would happen at each tax rate? Why does it seem so crazy? Is the UI just bugged or would something buggy happen with the actual money?

Nessus posted:

Sounds like Reagan was right

this dude gets it, I should have gone hard into the the prosperity tree and forget everything else.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
PS when I went to hire that chick to be the governor, all 4 available options were army vets so I just picked the youngest one.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Limbo is interesting because based on how close to synths you are, you can get different results. You should absolutely get something weird and crazy if you're a machine empire and you find them, imo.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Main Paineframe posted:

The energy is going to the sector, because the sector has a deficit that it can't afford to pay off. Having an energy deficit is an empire-wide debuff, so it wouldn't make sense for it to affect only one sector or for it to be triggered from one sector. Instead, I guess it just takes money from your stockpile to cover the deficit.

The problem in your case is that taxing the sector decreases the sector's next income from 0 to -2, and then the game charges you -2 power to cover that deficit...but the taxes that are causing that deficit are vanishing into nowhere. It should be a net gain of 0, because the following things should be happening:
1) the sector pays 75% tax, reducing their power income from 0 to -2 and putting them into a deficit
2) the 2 power worth of tax that they paid goes into your coffers, resulting in an income of 2 power from the sector
3) since the sector is in a deficit, you're charged 2 power to pay their debt, reducing your income from that sector by 2

For some reason, step 2 isn't happening - the sector is paying tax, but you're not receiving it. Odds are pretty good you discovered a bug.

This is what I was thinking. Anyone know what I'm supposed to do with this possible bug?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

rex monday posted:

Now that we've seen Borg-style machine empires I'd love to see an organic hivemind that starts out able to assimilate conquered pops. It would be great for playing brain slugs or sapient viruses or whatever.

Just pointing out there was at least one brain slug portrait when the game released. First time I saw them they were terrible slavers and my mortal enemies.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Psychotic Weasel posted:

There are two Fungoid portraits that seem to feature some creature that was taken over by mushrooms (this one and this one) but other a bit of flavour there's no functional difference to other races.

Personally, if I came across something like this in space I'd leave no part of their planets and ships left as anything but charcoal but hey different people have different tastes.

Aw those first ones are my vool, a powerful friend to mankind. It's apparent that the animal and fungal components are not sapient until inoculation is complete. I also like how the mammal seemingly lost a lot of its hair due to the fungus, like a chupacabra.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
So in the very early game the science captain I started with leveled up extremely quickly and then went to do an easy 5% anom. She was a level 5, plus change. Died under mysterious radioactive circumstances, but the ship was ok.

A few months after that space piracy was invented. Sent my fleet. It was her. Exact same name, same portrait, even similar skills. Almost lost the fleet but the pirate threat was put down.

Maybe a year later I get a notification that we're in a war, somehow the guy one arm up had obtained almost a quarter of the arm when I wasn't looking and sent fleets power twice our own. Eyes of Aquamarine, you were right and in another universe could have saved us. Obviously she faked her own death and turned to a life of crime because our fanatic pacifist regime rubbed her the wrong way.

If that could be more than just a coincidence it would be loving awesome.

Also that anom where you can either get a sum of minerals or a free mining station on a +3 energy planet kinda sucks. If you're scanning it's probably outside your territory and there's no way to bring it in before it caves in and falls apart. How did you even find it if it would have burned up in reentry in a couple months?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Holy poo poo, I colonized a planet with titanic life, right? So the option came up to research them, and I picked the xenophile option, make sure there is no harm. Well it didn't work out as well as I'd hoped: They became enraged, the planet spawned 3 godzillas, and now I need to figure out how many armies I'll need to take it back. The two puny militias did nothing. No hope, it was savagery. This is gonna be interesting.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Uh, I need advice with this problem I think. Ok, so I have a fleet and army of terminators ready. The planet is over fortified 1320/1100. I should be able to shoot the titans from space to solve that, right? I can't. There doesn't seem to be a button that lets me bombard, only let me set the bombardment level.

The last time I got in a war I was able to blow up an enemy colony that didn't "hatch" yet just by parking in orbit. This also happened to me with pirates, and I was able to take a primitive planet on a super old game by just parking and letting it rip. Those guys did have a primitive space station, however, and I did have to blow that up first.

I don't get into wars too often, did something change? Is this because I have a spaceport on that planet? According to the game the titans own the spaceport too. Do I need to be able to blow up my own port for this to work? If I set my fleet to aggressive they will try to blow up my own station. Problem is, it's a small fleet that can't take on a station.

Also I was just kinda theorizing what if there was a mod that let you just move troops around through a stargate without actually landing them. I think it would behave in a very similar way to this stuation, but from the titans' point of view. The game also has emblems on the planet like "planet is occupied by Titanic Life." I wonder if they were an actual empire if they could start building ships and stuff. The planet has the same governor and apparently counts as owned by me. The spaceport tab says I can't build anything due to the occupation. In the actual solar system view the spaceport itself is red and has the titanic life insignia, where the planet is just red-bordered and has my insignia.

Not sure how to do this without shooting myself in the foot for potentially no reason. It's an ironman game.

e: The spaceport has no numbers where the fleet strength should be

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Oct 1, 2017

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
dunno maybe someone didn't get that event yet. :v:

anyway they're parked but won't actually bomb. they just hang out saying in-orbit and no orders. The spaceport claims both the fleet and the army transports are in-orbit.

It doesn't matter because I just landed the troops and we crushed them. I've used one single titan before and wrecked poo poo but this time they just crumbled under the machine onslaught.

I guess the question is, what should I do with this hell army of war machines. I set this game to be random and I've only seen one other empire way down the arm so far.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Some dick is sending out single corvettes to harass my science ships. Dunno what bullshit planet woke up to spaceflight and decided to be a prick about it, but I think I might have found a use for this army. The master's teachings will serve well. Weird thing is this corvette counts as a "codeword" alien, but the ability to translate their language and establish communications is not there, there's no project.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

This is cool and I'd be p psyched to see more poo poo like this. It'd be even better if the fish actually swam

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Axetrain posted:

A planet with just 6 tiles :wtc:. I didn't even know they could get this small.

fuckin colonize it, I would

E: Then build a habitat in orbit around it that is bigger than the planet itself

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Oct 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Why didn't they make small planets significantly more likely to have low gravity and big planets significantly more likely to have high gravity? That would make a certain kind of sense if it was more expensive to build out a better planet and cheaper for a shittier one.
Also why aren't there a ton more planet modifiers, and why do they have weird pointless ones like a barren planet with no minerals has "mineral rich?" IMO planet modifiers should only be generated if it actually has some effect

• Locked thread