Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Heartcatch posted:

It has always been a bit of a curiosity for me that there doesn't really seem to be any consequences for ravaging your way across the galaxy

Fanatic Purifier AIs should really have something like the crisis mechanics in place (other than for Fallen Empires, probably) giving permanent hostility etc. etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

That's Meatfucker to you.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Can I leave auto-complete on and focus on pumping out cruisers?

Yes. Make sure to turn off the "advanced neighbor" option or similar (Wiz says it's off. Y default in 1.5).

Until you're messing with an endgame crisis or a fallen empire (at which point your fleets should be 50k or more), ship design is tactical or at most strategic and you want to work on the logistics that let you have 6k when your neighbors have 3k.

Also, allies help.

E: see above.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Wait, wait wait wait. If 3k is considered tiny, early-game tier stuff, and that's what I have to work with....how far through this game am I? I've got five colonies and a sector, I've scouted roughly half of my galaxy...

A domination victory on a standard map requires around 105 planets.

If you want to dunk on an unawakened fallen empire you'll need around 30k in fleets. If you decide to stick around for an endgame crisis you'll need around 100k in fleets. If you decide to fight an awakened fallen empire you'll need more like 200k (depending on approach).

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Is there a trick to the "Slave to the Systems" achievement?

It looks straightforward from the code:
code:
achievement_slave_to_the_system = {
	id = 39

possible = {
		is_ironman = yes
	}

happened = {
		OR = {
			has_ethic = ethic_collectivist
			has_ethic = ethic_fanatic_collectivist
		}
		num_pops > 499
		count_owned_pops = {
			limit = { is_enslaved = yes }
			count > 199
		}
	}
}
My empire is 616 pops (looking at the contact page, just below the picture) and there are a total of 300 pops in the two slave factions (165 malcontent, 135 docile). Shouldn't that trigger the achievement?

EDIT: nevermind, it unlocked eventually. Now to replace all slaves with robots.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 21, 2017

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

War wouldn't be so tedious if the ground game didn't constantly suck. Are there any mods to skip it entirely?

Can't you just blockade your way to victory without ever occupying?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Blinks77 posted:

Is the "Last, Best Hope" achivement bust? I just killed off both sides of the war in heaven event and i never got it.

It works; I got it a month or so back. I think achievements are checked on like a six month or one year tick, rather then daily, so you may want to go for a year or so. Also often I don't see a pop up so you may want to exit the game and look at steam. (See earlier in thread for me not realizing I got an achievement today).

Now for last best hope I think you do have to do the total victory war in heaven win condition to boot out each FE.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Blinks77 posted:

I mayyy have screwed it up? I simply ignored them, didn't sign up to anything and then just annexed them both one after the other.

For last, best hope you have to specifically lead the League of Non-Aligned Powers, which after founding will be tossed into war with both FEs.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

I ended up with over 20 colonizable planets in a single system due to an event chain (Horizon Signal). I think I can now safely say that "no, you really don't want to manage more than around 10 planets."

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Eiba posted:

Mass drivers shoot through shields, but are stopped by armor. Lasers cut through armor but have more trouble with shields. Missiles are hard countered by point defense.

Mass Drivers (and the rest of the basic kinetic line) are +33% Shield Damage and 0-30% Armor Penetration depending on size.

Lasers (all flavors, so the entire basic energy line) are -20% Shield Damage and 15-60% Armor Penetration depending on size.

So the difference isn't all that amazing between the two.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Pretty sure you don't get tech bonuses for being the overlord of a protectorate though, it's the other way around.

Yes, which is amazing if you are the subject there.

The overlord gets an influence bonus.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Are you sure it wasn't a droid, or that the original settler hadn't moved away? You cannot load robots on to a colony ship so something else would need to be there first.

You can build an Android or Synthetic colony ship. I have been unable to build a Robot colony ship.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

LogisticEarth posted:

Huh? It's been a couple years since I picked up GalCiv 2, but I don't recall anything particularly "right wing" about it's tax system.

GalCiv and GalCiv 2's tax system has an explicit Laffer Curve built in, where the maximum amount of money is achieved with a tax percentage well below maximum (and below 50%, IIRC).

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Wiz, can orbital habitats have their own spaceports?

Wiz @ Paradox posted:

We are currently playing around with the balance of Habitats and Spaceports, so I'm going to have to come back on that later, but I'm leaning towards habitats having an integrated Spaceport.

PittTheElder posted:

There should be way more of these techs though. If only so that I don't have to cash my energy in with the traders so damned often.

God, yes. In a current game (which I have won, I'm just going through the purging motions to get Suffer Not the Alien and then never again), I have a cap of 83,000 minerals...but still just 10,000 energy.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I'm leading the Non-Aligned Movement but the fallen empires are each at least three times as powerful as my whole fleet put together! poo poo! Is there a way I can lure them to fight each other? They're on opposite sides of the map (but at least I'm not in the middle).

Ignore the Fallen Empires other than to pay attention to where their death fleet is (and stay the hell away from there).

Then just occupy all of their little vassal races' planets. Each occupation is worth 5 WS or so, so there's a maximum of 20 you need before you can force victory. It's more of a slog than anything.

This is because the FEs are willing to generally mess around, thank god, rather than hunting down and murdering any fleets on the other side.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

It seems like the variants of your starting population which are generated by the DLC event chain should qualify for Suffer Not The Alien...

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Splicer posted:

A pop represents a few hundred million people.

That's why it takes 30 months to produce a robot pop - it's a lot of robots.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

But as long as you build what, 2 or 3 research buildings on each planet you come out ahead no?

Yes. The first level techs all have around a 360 cost. If you add one additional planet with 15 pops on it, that's +10% for the planet and +15% for the pops, or +25%, so now it costs 90 more, for 450.

So you need to make up the 90 research points over the time you would normally have used to research the tech.

Let's be generous and say you've added enough research labs that you're getting 10 relevant research points per month (again, early game). So you'll take 36 months to research that tech without the extra planet at a 360 cost.

With the extra planet, to research in 36 months you need 12.5 relevant rps a month.

So yes, 2 or 3 research labs to break even.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Coolguye posted:

so i'm considering making a run at "suffer not the alien" and i have a couple of questions from fuckery i know happened with that stuff a while back:

1) how do robotic pops interact with this?

Badly. You have to remove robotic pops.

Coolguye posted:

2) how do gene-mods of your host species interact with this?

Badly. I didn't try it generally when I did my suffer run, but the horizon signal species variant had to be purged as well as the self-modifying variant.

Between just the robot thing and having to invade every single primitive planet to purge the species, suffer not the alien is one of the more annoying achievements.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 3, 2017

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Coolguye posted:

i really wanted to avoid terraforming since it's such a bullshit feature right now. the energy credits are bad enough, but the time involved to terraform planets is just obscene.

Yes, terraforming really should be competitive with genemodding your species, particularly since you have to terraform every non-standard planet while you only have to genemod once per non-standard planet class.

...also, if you're doing a suffer run, I highly recommend "extremely adaptable" and the smallest galaxy you can get.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

ChickenWing posted:

train of thought from here - how good is the auto-upgrader at making useful ships? Is it one of those things that is helpful in the beginning but becomes useless once you start getting more options, is it consistently good, or irredeemably bad?

It's fine if you don't research missiles.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Coolguye posted:

every time i play a warmongering game i at some point end up thinking "man it would really piss me off to play against me"

In those games, I like to think of myself as someone else's Endgame Crisis or possibly Awakened Fallen Empire.

"Every 10 years this rear end in a top hat simultaneously jumps into 16* of our systems and demands 5 of our planets in tributes, then sends all of our people to the gas chamber! This is horrible!"

*You need 14 planets under bombardment to hit 100% WS in 1.4, but it's easier to just split the death fleet into a power of 2.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 3, 2017

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Coolguye posted:

if an AI behaved even a little bit like me we'd have people calling for wiz to hang from a tree.

Agreed, but your story looks hilarious. My early non-purifier game strategy has usually been "meet 2 races, decide which is the most dickish, invade them with help of other race to double my production"

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Peacekeeper achievement tip: hope for a war in heaven. The achievement doesn't count either fallen empires or vassals/servants/etc., so as soon as everybody chooses a side the achievement will pop.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Coolguye posted:

e: what's the wisdom on fighting AEs again? it's been a minute since i played with them in game and i only remember them being a nightmare.

Kite them. They will happily chase a small stack around their empire while your doomstack occupies all of their planets.

If you're in a War in Heaven scenario, ignore them and focus on their allies.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Coolguye posted:

they're currently screwing around with dudes between me and them so it sounds like this will be done for me to some extent. they awoke really really early this game so i guess my best bet is to start a war of liberation and try to force a favorable peace while i've got a chance of doing something

One other thing to try - their transports will follow their doomstacks. So if you time it just right and they are focusing on you, you can ambush their transport stack right after their doomstack jumps out of a system.

How much that will slow them down, I'm in the process of finding out, but the AI has seemed slow to build transports in my experience so I'm hopeful they'll just bomb ineffectually after that.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

ChickenWing posted:

Why shouldn't I just build fleets consisting of {biggest_ship}?

You totally can, but see below.

GunnerJ posted:

Big ships have fewer mount points for weapons that can easily hit small ships. Meanwhile, small ships can mount torps that do big damage to relatively immobile targets.

That's the theory, anyway.

Some numbers, from an endgame save I had, battleships versus torpedo corvettes with ratio notes:

pre:
Battleship:

Cost:		1830
Maintenance:	7.32 / 7.32
Hull:		2400
Armor:		90%
Shields:	420
DPD:		99.48
(1 large kinetic artillery, 2 large plasma cannons, 2 small autocannons, 2 advanced bombers, 2 precision point defense, all level 3)

Corvette:

Cost:		325
Maintenance:	1.3 / 1.3
Hull:		300
Armor:	
Shields:	210
DPD:		16.72
(small autocannon, torpedo, both level 3)

Fleet capacity:  	8 corvettes to 1 battleship.
Cost:			5.6 corvettes to 1 battleship.
Maintenance:		5.6 corvettes to 1 battleship (scales with cost).
DPD:			5.9 corvettes to 1 battleship.

6 Corvettes:

Cost:		1950
Maintenance:	7.8 / 7.8
Hull:		1800
Shields:	1260
DPD:		100.32
Other than for fleet capacity, and even there I think it's questionable, the way the multiple corvettes ablate away while the battleship keeps similar firepower going until the bitter end seems to suggest keeping the battleships.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

Considering that you can build several corvettes in parallel if you have enough shipyards.

You can build several battleships in parallel as well (about 10-11 of those guys without mineral silos). :shrug:

EDIT: and no loving way would I ever queue up the equivalent 60-80 corvettes in parallel.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

But we're comparing one battleship to its "pound-for-pound" equivalent in corvettes.

Are you really building 60 corvettes in parallel?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

ulmont posted:

You can build several battleships in parallel as well (about 10-11 of those guys without mineral silos).

GunnerJ posted:

But we're comparing one battleship to its "pound-for-pound" equivalent in corvettes.

GunnerJ posted:

I don't even understand where this question is coming from.

The pound-for-pound equivalent of 10 battleships is 60-80 corvettes. I'm not going to build 60-80 corvettes in parallel, but I will build 10 battleships in parallel.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 6, 2017

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

I e gotten the synths and it's just an unfun slog of having your space stations blow up with no way to stop it until a timer based event fires. gently caress that crisis.

You forgot about your buildings blowing up too.

On average that crisis will result in you losing / having to rebuild every spaceport and one tile on every planet if I read the events right.

It's the most annoying.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Poil posted:

It'd be cool if you could have tomb worlds as a preferred planet type

You can do this at least 2 different ways that I'm thinking of.

Archonex posted:

The end is just your system being turned into tomb worlds?

Seems a bit anti-climactic for such a huge build up.

Yeah, but now you have 15 colonizeable worlds in a single system!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Coolguye posted:

protectorates get an 80% research bonus on anything you have researched.

I wish there was some way to force myself into becoming an FE's protectorate. The best I've been able to do is liberate their worlds, vassalize the new empire, and then enter into a tech treaty, but that's only a 25% discount not 80%.

EDIT: quote is not edit.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Poil posted:

I only know of one.

The other way is to find mutated cockroaches on a tomb world and uplift them.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

HiKaizer posted:

Answer: When you get the Messenger events, just shut down the scientist's research or quarantine him before he releases it. The retrovirus won't get out and it won't change people. In the worst case it will just mess with your homeworld and everyone else will be fine.

Oh right I did this and stayed normal, I forgot. Homeworld added radiated, repugnant, and one more trait I forget but that was it.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Anticheese posted:

It's a cookbook!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxI7B758XBQ

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Psychotic Weasel posted:

They added a fix in the last update that will randomly stick an anomoly to a previously surveyed planet/asteroid/star so you are a lot less likely to get stuck at the end of a chain.

That event rarely seems to work for me - it pops and says we found something new at "."

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

GotLag posted:

What's the easiest way for a complete beginner at 4x to get started? I'd go with the UN but I've heard that missiles suck rear end, and if I'm going to edit that then it's really tempting to fiddle with all the other settings too.

Space UN is fine. Missiles work well early game and the difference is literally one tech in a tree that goes about 7 deep for each weapon flavor.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Darth Windu posted:

What can you do with em

Wreck faces. The ground units are I believe superior to even space marines although limited in number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Aren't the unbidden supposed to be the least dangerous endgame crisis right now? I mean it's not like I'm about to *not* build synths so some kind of crisis is happening regardless

It's AI Revolt >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> anything else because of the random explosions.

Azuth0667 posted:

AI revolt is the worst because of the RNG event to stop robot terrorism.

fake edit: gently caress, beaten. But cosigned.

...also the Scourge is always added as a baseline crisis, so you'll get something every playthrough.

Azuth0667 posted:

I still want my checkbox to enable all endgame disasters :colbert:

What I want is a way to actually fight off a disaster so it goes and pesters the rest of the galaxy.

Like "please gently caress off in that direction, Scourge, and then go nuts" rather than the Unbidden deciding that oh no, I've got to be the one that gets killed first.

• Locked thread