Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Coolguye posted:

great idea. i have about 15 destroyers that are currently configured with PD because the last war included approximately all the missiles, but i can have them refitted in a couple of days. i also have the red lasers card locked in from pirate debris so i can research that to clap on the cruisers. no angle on blue lasers right now but for a fight like this it shouldn't matter.

this is the last guy i need to subdue and vassalize before my galactic neighborhood is all under my heel; after that the local democratic crusader has shown up so I will need to go into hardcore building mode to catch up.

fwiw dudes having done this for 4 games now I very highly recommend a first contact war if you see your closest neighbor is using missiles. all you need to do is hold them bottled in their home system until you get PD destroyers and there is basically no way you can lose at that point. having an early vassal is really nice because when the rest of the neighborhood lights up they implicitly accept that this race has always been sucking your dick and they don't really question it at all. my current game i vassalized my first opponent in 2228 and it owned.

battle report here:

2.7k of 9 cruisers and 15 destroyers outfitted with heavy armor and blue lasers (got lucky on the card draw) obliterated 4k worth of corvettes and first-generation destroyers (which followed the same ethos as the corvettes but had PD) and took a grand total of 2 destroyer and 1 cruiser loss

it was a glorious slaughter

thank you thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

it owns

current map of the galaxy right now. basically everything underneath my wormhole network except the large purple and blue empires in the very south of my reach are subservient to me at this point at 2282. i've moved fairly quick in terms of subjugating the neighborhood.

current plan is to sit back and focus inward for a bit because i FINALLY picked the terraforming card and i just spent almost 10k energy credits pushing all the marginal wet planets in my domain to continental. after that painfully long process finishes i'll be infesting another half-dozen planets in the first wave. in the meantime i need to knock over the last few holdouts in the galactic east and keep exploring the dark places, the entire galactic east will need to belong to me to give those advanced powers to the west a good fight.

the two FEs are the xenophile and the spiritualist, which is obnoxious because this is my Suffer Not the Alien run; the xenophile one will have a real problem with me purging half of my client nations, which was ostensibly my plan for a while.

of the advanced ones, i'm fortunately able to not worry about the star league; i'm using subconscious consensus for the happiness bonus, which made the star league like me enough for me to strike an NAP with them. so my actual problem in terms of wars and relations is the coalition of hyodor, which is spiritualist and inherently doesn't like me. fortunately, we have 2 of my vassals between his borders and mine so he's not immediately worried about me.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 5, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

See you'd think that, but they actually don't really care at all, it's kinda weird.

doesn't literally everyone get a -80 genocidal malus if you butcher an entire race

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Coolguye posted:

doesn't literally everyone get a -80 genocidal malus if you butcher an entire race

because i've got like 3 races on my kill list if not, though i suppose i only need to murder one soon because the other two have dry biosphere preferences

e: wait no it's 6 races and i need to kill 2 immediately (i forgot about the primitives)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

probably just stacks. i suppose it is not a big deal. xenos can't migrate in my empire so once I have the galaxy under something resembling control it'll just be a matter of ordering all of their exterminations at once so there's nobody left to hate me

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

AH gently caress THE SPIRITUALIST FE WOKE UP

I HAVE 20K FLEET POWER FUUUUUUUU

time to try to organize a galactic MDP despite being raging xenophobes

e: what's the wisdom on fighting AEs again? it's been a minute since i played with them in game and i only remember them being a nightmare.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 5, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

ulmont posted:

Kite them. They will happily chase a small stack around their empire while your doomstack occupies all of their planets.

If you're in a War in Heaven scenario, ignore them and focus on their allies.

they're currently screwing around with dudes between me and them so it sounds like this will be done for me to some extent. they awoke really really early this game so i guess my best bet is to start a war of liberation and try to force a favorable peace while i've got a chance of doing something

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Roobanguy posted:

don't.

or if you have to, shoot and scoot tactics work relatively well the last time i had the ae event. arm yourself with the longest range weapons you can and blast them, then retreat when they get close. rinse and repeat because ae's actually have a very hard time replenishing their fleets, because that massive spawn only happens once.

i ended up killing three 150k in fleet strength with about 90k (ish, i was replenishing strength quickly) of mine, things got easier as i remembered how they fight and i got a sniff of what tactics they were using. this was basically correct on all facings.

sum up:

their defenses are insanely strong on both facings (~90% armor and absolute shitloads of shields) so strike craft are your best pound for pound attack. it also helps that strike craft have essentially infinite range in combat. the AI seems to understand this and will prioritize strike craft-bearing ships. this basically means that if you're slotting bombers into your cruisers, your cruisers are going to get pounded. this is actually ideal because cruisers can mount point defense and are big enough to carry some very heavy shielding. FEs deploy lots of strike craft, a lot of missiles, and tons of energy weapons. so a hangar core cruiser with point defense (preferably flak guns, but i made do with level 2 PD) and heavy shields will be a lot more trouble than they are worth. you can then exploit the relative lack of focus on your lighter ships by loading up your corvettes with plasma blasts or the best lasers you can find, and your destroyers with broadside modules and kinetics (though do not forget PD on them too). these smaller ships are then able to actually swarm and inflict some serious bloody noses since they're not the ones being focused down for once. battleships should field either arc emitters or kinetic artillery and also mount a hangar core to deploy more strike craft and to be able to defend themselves with PD.

hit and run tactics are perfectly viable and work well as long as you are able to support the spending. AEs do replace their fleets but they have difficulty keeping up with player fleet capacity if you're blowing 750-1000 minerals a month on fleet. if you can blast a titan you've basically won because those motherfuckers account for 13k fleet strength all by themselves.

i demanded liberation of their capitol region and a strategic second region that caused their empire to split in half. without their capitol they seem to be having a VERY hard time replenishing fleet because our truce just ended and they are still evaluating as Pathetic to me in terms of fleet strength (i've only built up to about 115k in the interim years). at this point it is basically time to stomp them again in a war, liberate another portion of their empire, and get ready to vassalize the first one that i had split off. oh i also got psi jump drive from the debris, which owned like crazy.

also, unrelated, but i hereby rescind most of my complaints about terraforming. it's very expensive in terms of energy, yes, but if you are at all thoughtful about how you're marshaling your resources you will generally have excess energy, particularly on large planets the energy expenditure is fairly well balanced by the fact that when you terraform, you instantly clear all tile blockers. i think the only thing i would change is that terraforming with the strategic resources should reduce both energy AND TIME expenditure, because it still takes a god drat dog's age.

e: oh and map update

the protectorate protects

i am not sure wtf is up with the Star League here actually. i pushed them back purely through border pressure, i still have not fought them at all. power of terraforming i guess; there were a lot of marginal worlds near our border, so after i terraformed and colonized them it pushed them back and got me a couple nice mining systems. the other micropowers over there i'm not sure about, they have been pretty peaceful but it looks like their empire is cracking up. it's possible the mathin hierarchy stomped them a time or two and i just missed it i guess, but i've generally been pretty alert as far as wars go since the first FE woke up (he's the dark blue on the galactic south).

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Feb 6, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Wiz posted:

Never fails.

Hey don't mean to bug you but i'm gonna break these two things out of my bigass post and use actual shift keys and poo poo because I feel it's pretty important.

Is it possible to have a setting for sectors that basically tells them "for the love of gently caress do not let the Empire run in the red on energy"? As the game gets big the player is increasingly reliant on sectors for economy, and dependent on migration patterns and what my governor has had for breakfast that day my taxes can fluctuate by a couple hundred energy a month. This is a really rude surprise when i'm running at +40 and mount a major naval campaign, only for it to go to -250 the day after my fleet enters the wormhole. I've seen this happen a couple of times now. Aggressive terraforming has meant that i'm kind of in a spot where my planets never quite fill up, and for whatever reason my pops are migrating a lot in my game. There's been a handful of times when 2-3 pops move around on about a dozen worlds in a single month and it leaves a lot of power hubs and power plants unstaffed. It wouldn't be a gigantic problem if i could move pops around and basically tell them to short science in favor of staffing the power plants but with 50+ colonies under my sector's control it's just not feasible for me to revoke, micromanage, and repatriate on that level.

Also, I've found...not sure it's quite a bug, but it's definitely a quirk that might gently caress my achievement run. I used gene engineering to add Strong and Rapid Breeders to my species, and went 'select all' on the pops to modify screen. This ended up being a mammoth project (I think it was like 600-700 months) but I did it anyway because I was really sick of the lack of population problem, and to give me the edge I wanted in ground combat.

The humans that were born while that gene tailoring process continued were not included in the project, which I didn't notice until much later. Now I have ~760 pops that are enhanced, but another 230 that are not. And the unenhanced humans are still considered my founding species.

I'm currently undertaking a followup project to enhance the rest of my race. If I enhance all the humans, will they be subsumed properly and become my founding race?

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Feb 6, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Strabo4 posted:

Are you thinking about the maintenance reduction your fleet gets when they're sitting in a starport? The savings when at port can be quite significant late-game. And you can order your sectors to focus on energy if you're running deficits.

Nope this is not it, I always soft launch my fleets beforehand to make sure I can support them out of port. This is sitting at the wormholes for a couple of months, a-ok, and then whoops collections went from 930 to 560 overnight because a ton of people moved, sorry about that.

And this is with me telling them to focus on energy (since that is what I rely on my planets for primarily and my humans are Thrifty).

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Feb 6, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

ZypherIM posted:

Gene modding is a perfect "great in theory and staple of the genre" that is implemented in a terrible and wasteful fashion. The best use of it is really to take your primary specials and adapt them to other climates to get around having to take a bunch of time terraforming a planet. You can either do every climate or one per biome, but either way the time to gene mod 1 pop is insignificant. On the other hand, the time to gene mod an entire race you have is stupid, combined with the fact that you also suspend your research for the duration as well makes it a waste.
after i get the ability to remove all tile blockers, terraform, and get the advanced government forms, society research becomes nigh useless to me. gene modding takes forever but the benefits of it are actually noticeable, unlike the fifth loving time i research something that decreases army upkeep by 5% or some crap

i do think it should cost less per pop but really my big complaint about it is the weirdness with xenophobe i have been running into in my last few games

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Poil posted:

Since it's done on a planet basis any new planet you colonize after starting would be complete untouched as well.
ah this is definitely the larger problem. the period of that first gene mod wave was also the period I was terraforming and colonizing most heavily.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

certain enemies also have certain quirks about this sort of thing as well. like i said in my last awakened empire update, my SPECIFIC class of cruiser that was mounting strike bombers was getting hit disproportionately often because the AE's ships were prioritizing dudes that carry strike craft. the one fight they caught me without these cruisers (i still had the other one that was optimized for longer ranged broadsides) the bastards went straight for my battleships. the corvettes and destroyers that were getting comparatively ignored could then pair together to do a one-two takedown of their larger ships with a disproportionate amount of fire power. when i finally bagged a titan, it was the corvettes and the destroyers that did the lion's share of the work.

that said, up until climactic battles like that, you are fighting enemies that are not developed enough to deploy more than one or two tricks in battle, and it makes sense to simply counter-design that one trick. this frequently means just deploying a bunch of your heaviest ship with the correct armaments and calling it a day.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 6, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Bholder posted:

I found that building nothing but Battleships is not a very good idea.

While they are tanky and good against other Battleships, they really cannot deal with smaller ships.

it is very possible to load them up such that they are. broadside bow/hangar core will give you 4 small weapon hard points and 2 strike craft hard points (and strike craft are good against any size ship, really only screwed up by point defense).

however, cruisers can get up to 6 small weapon hard points (with a whopping 3 torp hard points in that load out), and mineral for mineral you're still basically looking at just spamming anti-corvette corvettes to really do that job right.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Isn't flak and the like actually pretty good against corvettes too?

the normal point defense has drat near -100% against shields so if your enemy corvettes have shields (they do) you're gonna do nothing there. flak i don't really remember but i believe it is also pretty poopy against shields, which is what small ships value most highly. autocannons are what you ACTUALLY want to slot if you want large ships to fight small ships as medium slot autocannons fire quickly enough that little corvettes will still get screwed.

again though, the question more becomes "what's the best VALUE" because for most of the game you have to husband your resources carefully. you're mostly fighting the entire galaxy here. and in that case using autocannon corvettes or destroyers to counter alpha-strike plasma thrower corvettes is where the smart money is. which makes some sense because if you're slotting autocannons those ships are sure as hell not gonna be useful on anything larger than an enemy destroyer.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 6, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Libluini posted:

Not if you get a cramp from all that clicking

my wrist is well trained against repetitive motion injuries thanks :fap:

GodFish posted:

In the end I just ignored the constant "station under attack" warnings and steamrolled through a bunch of there planets to drive my warscore up.
this is precisely what you should do. put fortresses with subspace snares on your border worlds to discourage adventurism during peace time, and then ignore offensives to stomp people flat during war time. this is not a bad formula, honestly.

GlyphGryph posted:

Corvs die quick. which means that you lose dps quick and they need to be replaced more often and their shields go down quicker and loving metals have a smaller benefit.

Destroyers or carriers I could see using to help counter corvettes but i am struggling to imagine why you would field corvettes of your own.
outsized alpha strikes and distractions. corvettes die quick but they are replaced even quicker. a starport with corv assembly bays will spit out a corvette in 24 days, which is a big deal when you consider that a battleship with assembly bays still takes north of 4 months to complete. the ENTIRE game for stellaris's combat is to simply make the other guy spend more resources (time and minerals) than you do in a fight. corvettes are cheap and easy to build so they are fantastic for spending your resources carefully.

in large-fleet compositions, corvettes are the easy thing to replace to keep your big guys from blowing up and taking a real bite out of your capacity. and in small-fleet compositions, corvettes make a LOAD of sense for blowing up enemy starports in the back field, since they can dump off a ton of torpedoes and peace out very quickly once the starport is down.

it's not as large a role as they once had (where on launch, their evasion made them King Corv) but corvettes have a good spot on most battlefields. the only place they really stop making sense is the very end game where you are just stomping the gently caress out of everyone - in which case, yes, destroyers will make more sense because you can fit them with better defenses and it'll piss you off less because you don't need to replace as many.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 6, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

The main use I had in mind for them was anything like a titan that could one-shot a capital ship with its doom laser. If you're going to get one-shotted anyway, lots of small things are good, the cheaper the better. FE fleets heavy with large or XL weapons that could hit capital ships easily but not corvettes was another.

idk, it worked out well for me.

as i said before as well, FEs in particular seem to HATE strike craft carriers, so loading up corvettes to take a huge messy dump on big guys was an especially good call there as they were outright ignoring my little guys.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Also, is it just me or are slaves almost never really worth it? I'm not really seeing any great benefits to them, especially if they're now making keeping them even more complicated...
if you build your society around them, slaves make a ton of sense because you will be able to out-produce egalitarian societies with less overhead.

in practice, however, it's so fiddly that it's a wank

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Kilravock posted:

That said most of my games have been with the individualist ethos. It's way too easy to be a warmonger and ignore what your pops think or want. Basically the galaxy hates you if you are an isolationist xenophobe that doesn't have slavery or purge, but they will love you when you brutally conquer them as a fanatic individualist. Bonus points if your 'democratic' leaders keep getting reelected and serve for life. You can do the same with xenophile.
the biggest balance problem i see with the game right now is that there is no real reason to conquer territory using anything but integration of vassals. if you can't vassalize the guy you're attacking, liberate as many of his planets as possible to make a splinter power. you won't take any diplomatic maluses, the splinter power and their parent power will HATE each other so you actually REDUCE the amount of diplomatic heat you're taking, and when the truces expire you can declare multiple wars one after the other to keep vassalization on a fairly consistent schedule. individualist, xenophile, xenophobe, communal, pacifist, militarist - it literally never not makes sense to vassalize, or liberate if vassalization is not an option. it may seem like it takes longer, but between the liberation wars you WON'T fight, the recently conquered happiness malus causing internal political problems, and all the other problems that come with using cede territory, i'm not convinced it's substantially different.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

You do not actually survey systems while trading star charts currently

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Libluini posted:

Helly yes. (It may be a small thing, but I'm always sad that I have to leave science resources for last, to keep building up my economy. With science stations being that much cheaper, I can now squeeze in some more while flooding everything with energy- and mining stations.)

especially early on this is an extremely bad habit. even +1 when you have +20 is +5% research speed - to otherwise capture that benefit, you need to build the galactic research center, or research 'administrative AI'.

+2 when you have +10 is loving +20% research speed and should be gobbled up like your life depends on it (because it does!)

Anticheese posted:

Okay, so with xenophobes being like a purity/isolationist thing, how would you work in multiculturalism and being an active member of the galactic community?

Or perhaps being an interventionalist, though that feels more like a militaristic take...

at least by current AI routines, isolationism is only xenophobe + pacifist

xenophobe + militarist is an imperialist, xenophobe + spiritualist is an evangelizer

you're not wrong that xenophobe actually shows up in very few current AI personalities though, probably because the diplomatic malus is very, very difficult to overcome.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Feb 7, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

I'm actually really unclear on this point. What does it do?

you trade system names and the resources in those systems but you may still go survey them yourself (this is done to prevent you from losing Anomaly checks and yummy scientist XP)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Truga posted:

No I literally just start building a paradise dome and then throw it over to the sector. If I could tell the sector to do it instead that'd be good enough for me.

same but frontier clinic + monument to purity

e: i also dislike how unevenly the sector AI tends to build. it does not make a ton of sense for it to be sitting on 4000 minerals in reserve, but half of the planets that i have given it have 50%+ of its land lying fallow or running level 1 buildings when level 4 exist.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 7, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Eiba posted:

Jesus man, you're not supposed to do that. On your first 10 or so planets, sure, micromanage the heck out of them. But once you're up to 20 and certainly 50 just throw those fuckers in a sector and don't even think about them.

Yeah, they'll be developed sub-optimally, but at a certain point, who cares? Is cranking out that extra marginal advantage over the AI worth four hours of tedium?

in my case it was required that i would revoke and micromanage to a large extent because i required a huge energy base to field the fleet i needed to stopper the AE two doors down.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

god no do you have any idea how bad that would make the harder difficulties/AI aggressiveness levels where they're not only cheating in resources but also loving time too by using those resources to build extra IC or ship slipways? loving kill me.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

I am regular user of github for most of my stuff and this would, no joke, triple the amount of work I would have to do. It would also make it harder for other people to submit, and wouldnt make it any easier for someone else to take it over if I poof since doing that now is literally pressing two buttons and moving one file.

i used google docs with anonymous suggestions enabled for something like this on a design doc for rimworld mods i was considering. worked great. i'd get an email every time someone put something in and i'd have to click literally one button to either accept or reject and that was it.

e: i mean obviously do whatever you please, i'm not the target audience here because my stellaris games are basically universally humans clowning on fool aliens in some way or another, but it may make things easier.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 8, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Coolguye posted:

Also, I've found...not sure it's quite a bug, but it's definitely a quirk that might gently caress my achievement run. I used gene engineering to add Strong and Rapid Breeders to my species, and went 'select all' on the pops to modify screen. This ended up being a mammoth project (I think it was like 600-700 months) but I did it anyway because I was really sick of the lack of population problem, and to give me the edge I wanted in ground combat.

The humans that were born while that gene tailoring process continued were not included in the project, which I didn't notice until much later. Now I have ~760 pops that are enhanced, but another 230 that are not. And the unenhanced humans are still considered my founding species.

I'm currently undertaking a followup project to enhance the rest of my race. If I enhance all the humans, will they be subsumed properly and become my founding race?
update on this:

i finished catching up the rest of humanity to my stronger, faster-breeding version of itself and everything was indeed properly and correctly subsumed into my founding race, which now is more populous than the next 4 species in the galaxy combined.

i finished liberating the poo poo out of the AE so next time i play i'll be gobbling up all the various powers i liberated away from them into my empire. then at that point i'll probably start thinking about how to butcher a lot of the xenos because jfc i'm gonna own half of the galaxy here very soon and EVERYONE is evaluating as pathetic to me now.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 8, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

haha good poo poo lum

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

purging is also already very well supported outside of the way the game handles sectors/terraforming at current. in earlier versions of the game, you could force purges on sector planets - now you can only allow purging and hope for the best. terraforming is also awkward because there is no way to ban a planet from migrations short of banning them empire-wide, so murdering the natives to enable terraforming is, in fact, quite difficult.

beyond that, the reasons you don't purge are happiness maluses on your pops (which is an ethic thing) and diplomatic repercussions. purges already happen pretty quick (like 2 years) and cost nothing to initiate. not sure what you'd go about doing with all that.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the current best supported and most mechanically sound way to win the game is to divide, vassalize, and then optionally exterminate anyone who opposes you

so you're looking at taking their harmony, then their freedom, and then ultimately their lives

playing the bad guy is loving COVERED right now imo and i'm literally in the middle of a Suffer Not The Alien run

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Serf posted:

Speaking of vassalizing people, how do you vassalize new nations created by liberation wars? I get the option to make them a protectorate, but it seems the only way to vassalize people is through war.

a protectorate is simply a vassal who blows rear end at research. (more specifically, they have less than 40% of your total technologies)

force a protectorateship on them and they will eventually tech up to the point where they become your vassal instead. protectorates get an 80% research bonus on anything you have researched.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

ulmont posted:

I wish there was some way to force myself into becoming an FE's protectorate. The best I've been able to do is liberate their worlds, vassalize the new empire, and then enter into a tech treaty, but that's only a 25% discount not 80%.

EDIT: quote is not edit.

i've generally found tech to be overrated anyway, honestly. the number one thing tech can do for you is provide options. in war, you need to have a few levels of each weapon type to provide reasonable options to counter-design whatever your opponent is doing. in peace, you need a couple of levels of each building type (including specialty ones) to provide options to engineer your economy.

however, the only level 5 tech that provides a very, very clear and huge benefit over level 2 tech is power. zero-point generators are a huge win because you can spend much less of your space just making things work and much more of your space making things effective. but if you have a design that will work with gamma lasers, blue or UV lasers are going to be at least 90% as good and will be much, much easier to obtain.

which has made a pretty interesting dynamic for me this game honestly. i voraciously pounced on all tech bonuses i could get for the first ~50 years of the game, but after i got that small critical mass, it made much more sense to gear toward mining and power generation, build more efficiently, and take tech cards from the debris of my opponents. i skipped 3 levels of missile tech, 1 level of shield tech, and 1 of power generation tech by fighting the AE early on this game. and yes, that was loving scary, but still, it was 2275 and i was to the end of the tech tree in engineering and most of the way there in physics, because i punched a lot of nerds and looked really hard at their lunch money.

Serf posted:

Huh, okay. I wondered if I was doing something wrong. Do liberated worlds inherit all of their original empire's research I wonder?
yes. this is most obvious when you liberate territory from a FE/AE.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 8, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Not that the "enemy" ever declares war.
on insane AI aggressiveness having -25 relations and Equivalent fleets is an excuse to declare war, it's pretty harrowing

but even in that situation your point is reinforced rather than refuted. the way you win on these harder difficulties is to intelligently counter-design and have a strong production base. that and only that will be what will saves you. but in order to intelligently counter-design, you need all the features unlocked - you need options. trying to fight someone who is fielding autocannons and rolling heavy armor when you do not have armor, lasers, or big ships is a lost cause. but even if they are rocking level 3 autocannons and level 4 armor, you can bleed them dry with level 2 armor, red lasers, and a beefy cruiser chassis.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Kitchner posted:

Even if I dump all the roleplay stuff off to one side and I say "Right, I'm playing a game where I'm going to kill everyone" it's only really Expansion that jumps out at me, maybe Harmony for the bonuses.
for someone who is literally trying to kill everyone right now, the mechanics boosting vassals are immediately interesting to me. the cooldown to integration is huge and saves me five years in a lot of circumstances, and the cost of integration is honestly the biggest rate determining step i have because many vassals require 500-600 influence to integrate...which equates to basically another five to ten loving years of just having these nerds hobble my influence. which i would much rather be using on things like fighting ethic drift, colonizing planets, and issuing production edicts.

from a roleplay perspective this is good for me too. you do not have friends as a xenophobe - ever. even other xenophobes get relation maluses with you. literally the only people you can reliably trade and interact with are your vassals. being able to handle vassals better is on my very short list of requests in my current game.

hell, if i'd been able to get just those two things in my current game i'd likely be 2/3rds of the way through the galaxy right now, instead of close to half.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 8, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

so to distract a bit from people making judgements and making demands about poo poo while having very few facts, IT'S MAAAAAP TIIIIIIME

this is shortly after officially winning by domination. obviously i'm not finished, i need to finish eradicating all the xeno filth from the galaxy, but it's nice to have the game acknowledge that it's just a matter of time now.

i finished destroying the spiritual AE, and the xenophile absolutely did not care. the Unbidden showed up in like 2430, but i was ready for them and pounced on the portal two weeks after it showed up. i nuked 3 fleets and then took down the portal, the crisis lasted for about two months overall. what was funnier was that about 6 months later, the xenophile FE decided to go all guardians of the galaxy, long after everyone had tired of congratulating the galaxy's biggest, baddest bigots for saving everyone.

so now they're awakened and i'm hemming and hawwing between letting them do their thing to see what happens and just going in and stomping them flat right now. even after their bonus fleets from awakening, they're still showing as Inferior to my fleet (i have about 250k spread over 5 fleets and i am in the middle of building a 6th).

strictly speaking i should turn on my purge policy (which has been prohibited for the last like 150 years to keep diplomats off my nutsack) and start waging cleanse wars. the current vassals i have will probably take the better part of 100 years to integrate fully, and after i flatten the xenophile FE it's not like there's anything that can stop me anymore. my borders are also extruding like holy gently caress (check the second map picture; my territory is actually extruding THROUGH like 4 of my vassals) so as long as i take care to cleanse planets near my borders i should get them pretty reliably.

feeling kinda lazy, though. might just watch the xenophile AE do its thing for a bit. ostensibly they shouldn't go on a war spree the way the spiritual AE did so i'm kind of curious how they can actually react.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

eta: If they eat the Snailiens I am going to be so triggered. Please be nice to Snailiens.
counterpoint: eating them is an acceptable way to PURGE THE ALIEN

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Technically it's all about the ability to suffer without consent, not their type of biology. A consenting human could make cannibalism vegan, breast milk would be vegan. Honey isn't vegan because the bees didn't consent to have the fruits of their labour stolen by MEN WITH (smoke) GUNS. Honey is theft, and slavery. Intelligent plant people, not vegan unless they give their express consent.

They'd certainly be vegetarian though because that only concerns its self with plant vs vegetable matter , nothing about intelligence or consent.
it's not difficult to get consent from xenos. just make the alternatives even worse.

if that doesn't sound like consent to you then i'll need to refer you to a re-education retreat, FRIEND.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

worth noting that tomb world terraforming requires 10k energy normally, which is to say that it requires 5k in practice because if you're at all interested in terraforming you're going to place a very high priority on acquiring both strategic resources.

so, even though the tech for it is somewhat end game, the economy for it is very end game. you will quite reasonably be wanting to run a multiple hundred a month energy profit to be able to afford 5k like that.

that said, again, the primary problem with terraforming as a whole is the time it takes. mechanically i've been very impressed by it in my latest kill everyone run. if i were a xenophobe that was behind the development curve, i could use it to catch up by populating very densely. if i were a pacifist, i could grab territory early and worry about sculpting it to my needs later - again, giving me a good way to become more powerful while not needing to engage in an eternal hell-war. even for a xenophile, it honestly makes most sense to have one overriding atmospheric preference and one overriding atmosphere because that is the only way your lovefest is going to work for everyone. i could easily see gene-modding xeno immigrants to work with your preferred type.

the problem is simply how much god drat time it takes. i wish having the strategic resources halved time to complete in addition to energy expenditure. even that is a bit on the high side considering the mechanical precedent. considering that a warmonger can get about 3 planets in 10 years from cede demands i really don't think it's much of a request to have the current soil terraform (tropical -> continental, desert -> savannah, etc) take ~3.3-3.5 years instead of the current 10; if that reduction were applied to the others, that would mean ~7 years to change atmospheres, ~14 years to change tomb to nongaia, and ~28 years to change to gaia.

that said even at 5 years for a soil terraform i'd consider the extra year or so of time to be the cost of not pissing off the neighbors. obviously taking planets in a war has some diplomatic ramifications - terraforming has no such problems.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 9, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

some punk across the galaxy just suffered a slave rebellion and the rebels' first move was insulting me

rude, man, i'm not even involved in this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

One other thing confirmed in the stream was the final number for Dyson sphere energy (1000/mo iirc).

that's brilliant. energy is the driving force behind expansion in my last handful of games; by comparison, minerals are relatively easy to acquire because you can freaking hang onto them pretty easy. there's always some worthless system with no redeeming factors so that's gorgeous.

one thought, though - we know what happens to the surrounding system as a dyson sphere is completed (planets go Frozen) but do we know what happens if it is later removed or destroyed somehow? or is that not a thing that can happen after installation? it would be hysterical to use a dyson sphere as an offensive weapon and then come back later to terraform/recolonize the now sterilized worlds.

• Locked thread