Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Milky Moor posted:

What kind of robots are you running where it costs you three minerals to build a new robot pop every month?

edit: Like, is this some weird post where you think minerals and growth work like food and growth?

People completely loving up basic arithmetic and then doubling down when corrected are my favourite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

If you know you're extremely bad at arithmetic and someone else has wildly different figures then assuming you're correct is even more mind boggling tbh

Anyway, bug report:

Have the Automated Dreadnought in my fleet, I got it when I had hyperdrive III. Upgraded the rest of my fleet to jump drives and it continues to travel with them (fine), but it applies the 50% travel bonus from HD III to the Jump calculation.

This would be great but it's meaning my troop transports get left behind

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

One thing I think the game really needs is the ability to retire and have an animated territory map ala Alpha Centauri

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I'm glad that Rogue Servitors are both good and cool. They're a neat concept.

Off the top of my head I only know the ship from WALL.E as an example of one, anyone more versed in sci-fi able to list other examples? I'm curious about them now.

The Culture from Iain Banks's books are basically that kind of thing.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Do we have numbers on the probability of Shroud events failing, because I want to know how unlucky I was that three highly likely ones in a row blew up in my face :v:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Fututor Magnus posted:

i think every paradox grand strategy should have voiced advisors. paradox added voiced advisors in the stellaris because they were copying 4Xes but i'd like voiced advisors in games like eu4 or hoi4, and also different voiced advisors according to your country. so germany in hoi4 will have a nazi general voice advisor, who will call you fuhrer, and make you really feel like younm are giving him orders and such. you can also feel like you're stalin, the american advisor will call you mr. president, and so many more things for that sweet, sweet immersion. i doubt it's a big deal for paradox to hire some lovely voice actors to speak their lines in their own language and really immerse you into roleplaying as your particular country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVz_eDUTjAI

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The Butlerian Jihad was the crusade against robotics :argh:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Wiz can the next expansion be about adding a popup to confirm you meant to cancel the robot pop that was 95% built? There's one for cancelling buildings and they take way less time to build.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Wiz posted:

Okay, that'll be $19.99.

Sold (although it's robot pops so you can have it in discrete envelopes instead)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Shugojin posted:

Since when can I not make a fleet bigger than 500 ships :saddowns:

1.8 :v:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Libluini posted:

See, I come from the exact opposite direction (sectors are awesome), so nothing you write here makes sense for me, our positions are simply too different. Also your comparison doesn't make sense, the sector AI is not a combat AI, of course it wouldn't work in a auto-combat feature: That's like throwing a car into a lake and saying: "See? The car is bad! It can't swim and sinks immediately!"

He's saying the combat AI* is bad at being fighting wars and thus shouldn't be forced upon the player, as a comparison to the sector AI which is bad at managing planets. He is in no way saying the sector AI is bad at fighting wars.

Libluini posted:

but in the "the AI is so braindead, it is attempting to start a zombie apocalypse"-way

This is kind of what we've got right now - it's easy to trick the combat AI into doing some very stupid things.

*"combat AI" used in this post to talk about the strategic movement of ships around to complete war objectives, not the actual fleet to fleet combat.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

The new starbase stuff looks cool but I would guess it's still per-planet because the planet tab is still at the bottom.

I think that is its own set of tabs

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Thyrork posted:

Building multiple robots is nice. Is there such a thing (mod or planned) for buildings? Sure would cut down on the busywork of slamming down multiple mines/power plants! :haw:

One of the Ascension mods has a thing that lets you build the FE power plants/mines just straight up (rather than an upgrade) and now I always take it just as a QoL thing

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Improbable Lobster posted:

I wish we had a bit of control of positioning after the battle actually starts

I had a bad time with this earlier. Attacking that Robot FE that has just one inhabited solar system on a ringworld, and my fleet engaged the enemy fleet, killed about half of them got them to low life. Then they got distracted by a nearby fortress, and took that down to low health. Then they got distracted by the other fortresses, and ran around getting them to low health.

And so, even though I had a fleet more than big enough to deal with the problems if they were either on top of each other or sequential, the fleet got spread out everywhere and (in reloading a save, and running the battle again to see what would happen) got wiped out doing basically nothing past the initial burst even though the fleet strength was theoretically higher than the FE's.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

Doesn't DPS take into account accuracy?

Cos that'd be real easy to program in.

It varies by what you're shooting at, so it's less "easy" and more "impossible" to summarise in one number.

Artificer posted:

Energy torpedoes like the Neutron torpedoes are quite good, since they're immune to PD. None of the other empires in the two games I've played had particularly stellar success with the other types of missiles though.

Edit: The fallen empire who I beat up for independence just won a war against a smaller neighbor and vassalized and humiliated it....but it also gave me a system with a colony on it? I wasn't even in the war and I'm not on good terms with either combatant.

Oh my god it must've had giving me, its previously favorite satellite, the system in its war demands since that war started before my war for independence. Oh my God the warscore system is *busted.*

I just got through a war with a FE where all its demands on my planets... were to people who were no longer vassals so in the war demands screen there was a lot of ??? for the icons.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Libluini posted:

Ah gently caress, I keep forgetting the older games were different from the third one.

Of course, this makes it even weirder, what other games besides MO3 used the star lane system then? I remember Sword of the Stars having some races use a star lane system, and I think that's it? Are MO3 and SotS the only two games fueling this nostalgia for lanes?

The idea that people only like hyperlanes for nostalgia reasons is your hypothesis. Perhaps you should revise it, especially given that people are arguing for hyperlanes for gameplay reasons and not because they're cool or whatever

Libluini posted:

Technically, "offroad" doesn't exist in MO3, it's just that not all star lanes are visible at the beginning of the game -there's an event that's supposed to fire during gameplay to occasionally make one of them "visible", which in gameplay-terms means "visible to the player" and "faster". A mod that I'm using restored that function so you sometimes get a "new" star lane.

So even though the player may think that there are wormholes, star lanes and warp-like travel, under the hood it's all star lanes, all the way down. The only differences are player-visibility and travel speed.

Why does it matter what they are under the hood? People care about gameplay, not some kind of programmatical purity

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 29, 2017

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Libluini posted:

I've read those reasons many times and they don't make sense to me, so what is left after that? After I've discarded all logical reasons, nostalgia or other emotional poo poo is the only stuff left, after all.

"I don't share someone's opinions about how to enjoy a video game, therefore they're wrong and must be illogical!!" is an insanely arrogant argument to make, especially coming from someone who I recall not being able to parse a simple argument about Sector AI.

Libluini posted:

It matters because it's fascinating to see how those old games were programmed. And what the hell is programmatical purity? Is that really a thing, or did you made it up?

You were arguing that it wasn't "proper" non-hyperlanes.

OwlFancier posted:

Final accuracy including tracking does, but the actual "accuracy" stat in the gun stats is functionally just a percentage mutliplier on the DPS, because a gun with 80% accuracy will always miss at least 20% of the time on an ideal target, so the DPS is damage x fire rate x accuracy, which is then situationally modified by the enemy's evasion and your tracking.

If the accuracy stat isn't included in the DPS then that means some guns are punching well below their stated DPS even at an ideal target.

If guns have different accuracy stats (which they do) then on anything but an ideal target you'll lose a different proportion of the DPS, and in a more complicated way than currently (multiply by effective accuracy, rather than divide by stated accuracy then multiply by effective accuracy). It would be nice to have some kind of calculator inherent in the UI ("This is dps against a naked corvette, this is dps against a naked battleship"), though

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Improbable Lobster posted:

Your passive aggressive "everyone else is stupider than me" is really grating

It would be less grating if he wasn't a complete idiot

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Anticheese posted:

Old-school Master of Orion had the gates too.

So did MOO2!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

gowb posted:

I mean I disagree with the guy but he has just as much right to speculate as anyone my dude

Yeah but keeping on going on about how hyperlanes don't make any sense because you can't lay tarmac in space or whatever is a bit silly

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Libluini posted:

(It would have been smarter to build new ones and put the scientists on them, but that of course would have destroyed the illusion of STL-travel. :v: )

It would have been smarter to build new science vessels, send them over to the relevant systems and make the exchange there if you wanted to keep the illusion :ssh:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Baron Porkface posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shoiYDp7EEA&t=1770s

My dumb monkey brain doesn't know what that is a reference to

2001 surely

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

Edit: I seem to have a really weird bug where if I see a huge fleet battle, if I zoom out, my galaxy map is absolutely covered in exploding spaceships.

Could be worse

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

I noticed that a hostile civ grabbed a planet near my border and their border ate their way into mine, all the way up to a planet of my own. What controls the "pressure" exerted by a unit that extends sovereignty? I couldn't figure out why their border strength was pushing mine back.

There's a few effects. Planet population is a big one, but also there are techs and at least one tradition (the Supremacy opener) that affect border size.

Dick Trauma posted:

This game ended when two civs with closed borders hemmed me in against a galactic core, and I was unable to sneak out between them because I ran out of influence to establish a new colony or outpost. Is completing leader mandates the best way to maintain enough influence to expand?

What's your net influence per month? If you're running a lot of defensive pacts/frontier outposts/edicts then you may well be tanking your ability to expand through colonisation.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

PittTheElder posted:

Well I mean if you call the end-game the mid-game, then yeah I guess there isn't much end-game content. :v:

I researched Jump Drives in the 2280's in my most recent game, only 40% of the way to the earliest point I could get a crisis. Pretty sure that's "mid game".

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Womyn Capote posted:

Just got back into this game and my first game got crushed by a neighbor with 87,000 power fleet just as I was getting to 1000. Didn't have advanced starts on at all.. no clue what I was supposed to do.

You pissed off a Fallen Empire by doing something like colonising one of their holy worlds. Look at their war goals. (They also ring you up and tell you to lay off doing what you're doing to annoy them, in my experience)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

DrSunshine posted:

I want organic ships with bio-engines and bio-computers, and when I play as a spiritualist, to have machines that run off of the imprisoned souls of still-conscious beings. :(

Also have Z'ha'dum as a random system name like MOO2 did

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Holy poo poo I don't get this. My 8k power fleet, sitting on a 1.7k starport and 1.5k defense station just got wiped by a 6k fleet. Both primarily cruisers and destroyers. They ended up at 5k after destroying everything. What the gently caress . How can I even counter them when every ship they have is different (laser, plasma, missile, kinetic)? They wiped me out and threw 9 hours of play in the toilet.

This has happened like 5 games in a row now. Each time I try to see where I went wrong, or learn from it, and come in better prepared next time. And each time, first major war I get in, they just walk in, kick my house over and set it on fire.

gently caress ironman.

What may be (is) happening is that their different kinds of weapons (especially the plasma) are retargeting when a ship is down to hull, whereas all of your kinetic weapons are spreading their damage over the enemy fleet pretty much equally.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Gay Horney posted:

They're all yellow now because I researched a habitability tech. So wait a minute if I stacked habitability bonuses I could just colonize everywhere with no penalties and that ascension perk is more or less pointless?

The perk (World Shaper) is more about doubling the terraforming speed and reducing the cost, the tech is just included because there's a reasonable chance you won't have it when you get the perk.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

There's a few bits of advice spotted about the thread, but the main thing is to keep your fleet growing as the cap grows. Don't just sit on half a dozen corvettes for 30 years.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Shadowlyger posted:

I think the only repairable ringworld you can find is the one from the Cybrex precursor chain.

The Mech FE that lives on ringworlds has two broken ones for you to repair if you conquer them. Which is a bit of a nightmare in comparison to other FEs, because they only have one settled system so they're harder to bait.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

Also you don't teleport the enemy fleet onto your head, you just stop them from leaving the system until they come sort you out, which I also like.

Yeah, at the moment snare fortresses built by the computer players are more of an active benefit than a hindrance

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

gowb posted:

NOpe

I also can't trade it back to the empire i took it from

Adjust your UI scaling, the button is being pushed off screen I think

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

If the only war goal they have is humiliation, just concede. They can only declare war on you every so often, and you won't lose your fleet.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

ShootaBoy posted:

loving really? What the hell is the logic behind that? Some custom names aren't gonna do jack to change the game.

I imagine it's because it's non-trivial for the game to work out that the game isn't being changed.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Sindai posted:

Probably $20 since that's been the price for large Stellaris and EU4 expansions so far.

$0

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Bloodly posted:

Because while the defender can only have as many troops as the planet can hold, the attacker can bring as many transports/troops as he wishes.

A human defender can have up to twice as many as the planet can hold, because if you queue up defensive-only units then land a load from space the defensive only ones still get build :ssh:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

gowb posted:

Wiz said next week like last page. Jesus, read the thread

What, no he didn't

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Aethernet posted:

If it's any consolation, the Dathnak event chain is the most annoying event chain once you've seen it a few times, as the rewards are paltry for the level of science ship faffing it involves.

The last time through I got the "one of us wants to migrate to [x]!!" event about 6 months before that planet was destroyed by the construction of a ring world. They still demanded that she be brought home a little later, sadly there wasn't a "nope we blew her up" option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

HardDiskD posted:

How do I demand more than one planet in a system? I won a war that gave me a planet in a system with two colonies, but when I reloaded the save before the war, I couldn't find the second planet in the demands tab.

If it's currently in the process of being colonised you can't demand it. You can go blow it up, however.

• Locked thread