Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Sperglord Firecock posted:

I was halfway asleep after a night shift while making it and I wanted to do something simple and easy without trying to be witty, so let's talk about the game in this thread designed for talking about the game

I am not super against the title but there were some excellent title suggestions based on the exciting new cuisine options in the next DLC, so I hope you'll consider changing to one of them when it comes out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Psycho Landlord posted:

Why in the hell would you ever want to remove the ship designer?

:yeah:

I would stop playing this game if they took it out.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Roland Jones posted:

The latest dev diary explained how slavery's going to work in 1.5. For a simple explanation, it's now part of species rights you decide per species; no micromanaging individual pops. The five rights settings are:
  • Full Citizenship: No pops are enslaved
  • Caste System: Pops working minerals or food (i.e. the things slaves are better at producing) are enslaved, ones who aren't aren't.
  • Limited Citizenship: Not enslaved, but not getting full rights (more details in the link).
  • Slaves: Exactly what it sounds like, your empire's entire population of this species is enslaved, regardless of what they work. There are several slavery types besides the current "good at food and minerals, bad at everything else" one that the link expands on.
  • Undesirables: These pops are either forcefully relocated or outright purged, depending on what you choose.
So, it's not exactly what you're asking for, but really it's arguably better outside of weird niche circumstances. Heck, you can even set what a species's rights will be in your empire before you have any of that pop in your empire, j just after you know they exist, in preparation for your future plans.

It kinda seems like caste system is better in all ways than slavery from a pop happiness and micromanagement reduction perspective.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

RabidWeasel posted:

:psyduck: but it's literally just a simple optimisation problem you totally ignore except when you unlock new tech. As someone else said planetary tiles are similar but I feel like that has more potential to actually be interesting to work with in future (though there is an annoyingly high level of micromanagement required if you want to be optimal) and in any case removing it would require a total rework of pops while removing the ship designer would only require a few small changes to techs

Don't care, droppin' this game like a rock if my spaceship builder kit is taken away.

eta:

Wiz posted:

There is exactly 0% chance that the ship designer is ever getting cut. Asides from the fact that I personally enjoy it, it's both a 4x staple and something that a lot of people want (we have metrics on this).

Nice.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Aethernet posted:

This depends on how it interacts with the new ethos system - all free non-collectivist pops will almost certainly be in favour of freeing slaves of their own species. If you enslave them all, you only need to worry about malcontent slaves.

Yeah there's room for distinction, it's just not clear to me yet how that will shake out.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Roland Jones posted:

Do you mean better than the current system, or better than the alternatives in that patch? Because for the former, yeah; it basically auto-enslaves all the pops you'd want enslaved anyway. Unless you're RPing something where you're only enslaving certain pops or whatever, it basically does all the work you'd do with slavery, or at least chattel slavery (the "food and minerals" kind) for you.

For the latter, I think full-on slavery-for-whole-species is for things like Xenophobic empires and the other types of slavery besides chattel slavery. Also also can be combined with things like population control and whatnot.

Another good point, didn't consider synergy with the different slavery options.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Whoa, chill out.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Archonex posted:

Also mentioning it again but More AI Personalities (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=701432146) really needs to be in the OP.

It adds way more dimensions to the game. You have everything from races that are actually designed to be insidious opportunists that capitalize on military weakness, to a piratical slaver persona that basically sells off slaves, to an aspiring precursor personality type that want to basically set themselves up as a precursor dominating other races technologically through centuries of political maneuvering, to crazier one off rare personality types like a clearly parasitic race of people puppeteering fungoids that are described as "Frenzied Breeders" and are perfectly happy to put the Blorg to shame in invading people to get "closer" to them. :stonk:

I like this mod in theory but in practice it always ended up overriding the intended personalities of all the custom empires I made. :qq:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Supposedly having a carrier core makes spinal mount bows viable because it keeps battleships at extreme range. So there's that, dunno if that helps you decide.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Poil posted:

Hmmm, but all battleships just hang around in a big blob at the back anyway?

Dunno, it's just what someone said in the old thread. The idea is that XL weapons can operate at much longer ranges than they usually do because battleships will close distance to use their L guns, making them more vulnerable than they have to be. With a carrier core, they hang back further than usual.

efb in the very next post!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Is there an option to go the other route and turn everything into the world from Equilibrium as well?

Or do we just uave to contend ourselves with We Happy Few?

Happiness will always be 0% 50% but they get boosts to certain outputs?

I like the idea behind the Brave New World mode of living standards but I am not really sure I would ever use it, even for RP, because it looks like it just makes so much of the empire loving useless.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 25, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Spanish Matlock posted:

I mean the use for it is clearly to knock a planet on the head while you integrate it. Just keep the pops incredibly artificially happy while you absorb a lesser empire. Then once their "recently absorbed" malus stops you wake them up and tell them to get the gently caress to work.

Hope there's no withdrawal malus when you end it!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I don't know if the mood altering pills from Equilibrium would necessarially stick people at 0% happiness, maybe just keep them at 50% so you never get any bonuses or any penalties but maybe they now really suck at research since they basically are stuck spending all day with a blank look on their face while they stare dead ahead.

Oh whoops, I meant 50%, whatever "neutral" was.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

Hey guys, since that Goon race pack never actually happened, I'm gonna throw my own together.

Submit your custom empires now!

Anyone who wants to contribute, feel free to post in this thread and include the words "SPECIES SUBMISSION" and then put the actual data for the race in a code tag or something (I'm just gonna search through the thread later looking for those words and I don't want to miss yours). Also include a screenshot of the details if you want. Resubmitting your previous submissions is fine. I'm going to try to push this out by next Friday. Include a description or your entry will be REJECTED.

You can get the data for your custom race from "Documents/Paradox Interactive/Stellaris/user_empire_designs.txt"

Is it all right to link to a pastebin? Is there a limit on submissions?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Roland Jones posted:

Also wonder what's with the "colonize" right in the middle above the size means. It seems like you'd have people on these from the start, right? Why construct a habitat like that if you aren't planning on having people live on it?

Well, you still need to move people to it, and right now the way you do that is with colony ships.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

RabidWeasel posted:

The joke IIRC is that the guy who developed most of the V2 economy was a "taxes are theft" anacapitalist who somehow made capitalists end up as useless assholes who never do anything which is actually helpful and thus rendered more interventionist government forms into being almost objectively superior.

I've often thought this reflects a difficulty of designing games and AI to model a real political and economic system more than anything. A strategy game will give you all of the advantages of a command economy with none of the drawbacks, while it will give you all the drawbacks of a market economy and none of the advantages. (I'm not even saying this as some kind of free-marketeer either.)

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

Yeah in hindsight a pastebin is probably better.

As for the limit, consider 3 to be a soft limit. That's about how many I'd probably be willing to do before getting bored with your civs and "forgetting" to add the rest, unless they are really good, in which case there is effectively no limit!

Aight, in light of this I'mma give you mine in descending order of what I think is good (once I get off my rear end and do it) so the best three are on top in case you start getting bored after that.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

genericnick posted:

I don't know. Simulating a market economy that just works is a solved problem. Assume a frictionless market with perfect information and immortal agents that maximise an utility function. Adding all the things that suck in markets would be extra work. Of course it would be kind of boring.

Well, I didn't know to what extent it was solved tbh. I knew that Vicky 2 capitalists would do dumb poo poo like build hundreds of cement factories for no reason and figured this is because it's hard to model.

I do think that the command economy side of what I'm saying is more solid. You would need CK2-ish modelling of underlings in a bureaucracy and intense amounts of delegation to really simulate the problem of the whole thing being only as good as its weakest link. Lacking that, it is as good as the player. There is no major barrier between intent, action, and outcome.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

A game with a difficulty setting that just makes the UI and all communication of information more and more obscure or confusing the higher it's set.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

SkySteak posted:

Does it turn into a Grognard Wargame at its highest setting (including the UI looking like it's from Windows 95)?

Sure but the secret highest difficulty just gives you a DOS prompt and uses Esperanto.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

SPECIES SUBMISSION

Text: http://pastebin.com/LWBEiFRe

Listed in order of "what I think is most interesting" to the opposite, so if you get bored after the first 3 it's no big deal. :v:

Note that there's an image in there of one I did not submit.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Wiz, any plans to make asteroid colonies?

Also general question for the thread that I know has been asked but I forgot: How the heck do you get Horizon Signal to start? Can you just go back and forth between two black hole systems and hope for the best, or what?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Serf posted:

I wonder how this will work. Like if my science ship can't survey a queued system with enemies in it, will it then move on to the next system? What if there's no valid paths to the next system? Great feature, just curious as to how it will be implemented.

If it can't do the next queued order and gives up (like it does when it's on auto-explore and can't find a new system), that would be fine. We'd be no worse off in that case, and better off when it can find a way.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Ugh, Signal Horizon gripe: an event in the chain made it so my homeworld pops changed to some new portrait type, now that shows up as the regular portrait type for the save even though I moved my capital. Kinda worried now that moving my capital will cause trouble down the line. Also that for the event that was supposed to give a leader a "Doomed" trait did not, and didn't even show the leader's name in the button tooltip...

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Suggestion/request for the ship designer: when you change its weapons, components, etc., is there any way to show the difference between what you just did and the design prior to your changes? Like a green +x/red -x next to the numbers or something.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Anticheese posted:

Why would you ever not want to uplift and get buddies with special traits and a big happiness bonus?

Seeing pre-sentients is so rare for me that I couldn't even consider doing anything but this.

Dealing with pre-FTL species is to me probably the most interesting part of the game so if Paradox came out with an expansion entirely about deepening it, I think the money would just disappear out of my bank account of its own accord.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Is it intended that you only get one shot at the enigmatic fortress event? Like it will re-arm and then not create the research projects a second time.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

Earth was the source of Titanic Lifeforms all along!!

Please have a super rare Sol system that's just 1600's europe with titanic life.

Between this idea and the new cuisine options in Banks, I am not sure I am ready for Attack on Titan in Stellaris.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

LogisticEarth posted:

The problem right now with espionage/assassination is that losing a leader hardly affects anything. There's no shock, dissent, or risk of rebellion. In other Paradox games there's usually some mechanic that can destabilize nations. Maybe this will change when factions are fleshed out in 1.5.

Federations need a lot of work too. The whole rotating Presidency thing is annoying. It should be some kind of static position decided by power or influence or something, so the player can stay in charge if they're the 800 lb gorilla in the alliance, but can also lose it if they don't pay attention.

Priority #1 for federations is that they need to fix whatever it is that makes the federation navy not follow your orders. It's seriously so unbearably annoying.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

On the other hand, this game really is great. I mean we gripe about it, but I've been spending all my free time playing this one game recently where everything about the awakened empire and war in heaven really sang and made for a tense, gripping challenge. The key elements for me were that I wasn't bothered by the possibility of having to be an AE's vassal for a while, and the WiH seemed to end a bit inconclusively, which led to a cold war dynamic between the AE xenophobes and xenophiles. Being a thrall isn't so bad because you can still go to war. Even after gobbling up neighbors I still had to wait for the two AEs to be at war to get the chance to jump my overlords in a an ongoing fleet battle between the two. After I won the rebellion I got a bit too big for my britches though and started supporting independence and guaranteeing independence left and right, leading me to end up at war with the xenophile AE, which was by this point the far stronger one, and losing a bunch until I got my poo poo together. All in all, really fun game.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Serf posted:

Do you build defense stations on your border to catch and slow down invaders? One in every system? Do you build one big doomfleet or do you spread your ships out into multiple ones?

I've had some good luck building a main doomfleet and a sort of "light cavalry" fleet of hundreds of torp corvettes* and a few large support ships. When you have to deal with anything that has a big fuckoff death beam attack (AE Titans, for example), lots of small ships are better, being able to flank/distract seems useful (the ships do have to turn to face targets after all (I think??)).

*Full disclosure: I am tinkering with a simple homebrew mod that gives afterburners a bonus to evasion.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

So, I started a new game, tried out using warp drive, playing on a spiral galaxy (I knew what this combination would mean and kinda liked the idea of the challenge), finally got to send a fleet to the other spiral arm to kill off some space bugs, on the way there I made contact with a new empire that promptly closed its border to me, trapping my fleet on the other arm. In the middle of a war I had going on elsewhere.

Uh. What do you do about this besides reload?? I tried war declaring just to get my fleet back but its independence was guaranteed by an advanced start empire that kicked my teeth in, making the maneuver counterproductive.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

That's a really complicated topic I can't go into in as much depth as some here, but the current meta seems to be that missiles suck past the very early game, but a mix of energy and kinetic weapons can be useful depending on what you're up against. A well designed fleet really can punch above its numeric weight but you need to take advantage of the properties of the weapons and the defenses the opposition has.

efb

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Splicer posted:

There's a little circley arrow in the top left of each fleet menu. Click that, and it will try to send your guys back to your nearest port. If they can't get there they will (I think) go MIA for a bit and then re-appear at a spaceport.

Cool, thanks!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Honestly, the big boys (crises and AEs/FEs) are what I had in mind as the use case for specializing fleets. Otherwise yeah you can get pretty far with a decent mix of energy/kinetics.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Magil Zeal posted:

It's annoying but easy to fix, just split 1 federation ship into a new fleet and move all the ships from the old fleet to the new one. It seems like the last order given before you get control gets stuck somehow in the federation fleet queue and you can fix it by making it a "new" fleet.

Huh, interesting. Thanks.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Magil Zeal posted:

I don't know for sure but it always seems to head for the same system when there's a problem. Usually the home system of the last owner of the fleet. In any case the fix works, or has always worked for me.

I had a similar issue with a mod that allows you to capture Titans, but the thing actually kept going wherever its former owner's AI wanted it to (i.e., it changed orders to follow newly arrived "enemy" fleets). That I fixed by merging it with one of my own fleets. I didn't think I'd easily be able to merge Fed navy fleets like that though, but it makes sense that splitting off and making a "new" fleet would work in that case too. The former AI can't give orders to the "new" fleet of its new owner.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

That really does make a ton of sense. The fleet is clearly mine, but the previous owner still "thinks" it's theirs, and the game code lets them control things they are still registered as owning.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Honestly, whether it's a kind of space monster or a fleet and how powerful it is would be more than sufficient I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

T͍̫̾̉̏R̝̼͙̰̓͞Ų͓̝̗̻͎͊̔̄̏S̺̬̦͔̩͓̣ͦ̇͗T̼͖̫̫̫ͪͮͭ͆̀ͨ̚ ̬͕͉̯͌͑̾͐́̑̚Ť̯̩̑̉͌͞H̷̠̲͙̙̺̩̠̍̂͋̄̏ͥ̂E͓͖̩ͬ͒ ̷̠̻̫̹̊̆͛ͯͤ̀ͯẂ̏ͥͭ͌͐̄O̯̣͔͔̳̺̽ͤͦ͋̆͒͝R͖̥͔͔̯̝̈Ṁ̹̱͙͍͗̆͊ͫ̓

• Locked thread