Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Hell yeah NFC West, let's have a party!

Seahawks and Cardinals will duel for the division title next year, think the winner will come down to injury luck. After that, who knows. I could see the Rams getting good fast with proper coaching though. Wade Phillips with that D is a terrifying prospect.

At least we don't have to deal with Gregggggg Williams coaching his players to headhunt our teams twice a season anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Guy Fieri lookalikes with strong opinions on the best club in Scottsdale? I dunno.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

seiferguy posted:

If I had to choose one non-NFCW rival for the Seahawks, I would probably say it's the Packers. There's a lot of history there - Holmgren's departure, "We want the ball and we're gonna score", John Schneider being a former GB exec, Fail Mary, NFCCG comeback, and the fact that we've always played them almost every year now.

Panthers is a sneaky high pick too. We seem to play them every drat year these days and the teams seem to like each other less every time.

Agree that we don't really have a true rival right now though, beyond that our biggest competition for the division is currently the Cardinals.

Saying we were rivals with th Broncos in the 90s is like saying a rabbit had a rivalry with an eagle. That poo poo really only went one way. Rams Hawks was great though, although nothing tops that brief run of Niners Hawks games. Shame that team fell apart.

Kinda tough for Seattle teams in general to have natural rivals because they are so far away from everyone else. When Portland and Seattle both have a team in the same league that's automatic, but right now that's just MLS. MLB tries to lump us in with San Diego for NL/AL rivalries but there is just nothing there.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Cutler doesn't strike me as the type to respond well to "tough love". Think McDaniels tried that in Denver and all Cutler wanted to do was get out of Dodge.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Spoeank posted:

Only the o-line

Earl Thomas took the last third off too

God drat do I wish we'd had him in the playoffs

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Number of years since a Dan Quinn team should have run the ba against the Pats in the Super Bowl: 2 0

We're free Seahawks fans

We're no longer the last to do it

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Bad Moon posted:

Hockey needs to get on everyone else's level

The Caps alone have choked enough for the last 10 years to more than equal any one of those upsets.

Imagine a Russian
Choking in a playoff race
Forever

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
It sounds like there are a ton of guys on the 90-man at CB, so maybe they've been able to train somebody up from there? It takes a while to learn the system. But yeah, CB depth is pretty poor. I could also see Seattle spending a pick on a backup FS, someone to lighten Earl's load and start prepping for the transition when he retires. Obviously I know the most about Budda Baker, but I'm sure the pros watching the draft have a better idea than me. A genuine interior pass rusher would be nice too, our rush had a tendency to disappear against good tackles because we didn't have enough in the center.

Of course, none of that matters unless we fix the offensive tackle situation. I actually think there is potential in the interior of the O line, Ifedi was bad but actually has teachable talent, and Britt was actually decent. But if we have to run Gary Gilliam out at RT again I think Russ might die.

Some people I talk to are more pessimistic, they think that it doesn't matter who the Seahawks draft, they think Cable will just ruin them. Pretty bleak perspective, but it's been a while since Seattle has had even competent pass blocking so they may have a point.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Spoeank posted:

I was thinking the same thing. I didn't see a lot of Seahawks this year but there were a handful of plays every time I saw them that prime Sherman would shut down but he just... didn't. Whether he got burnt or he had to blatantly hold to not get burnt. It also made sense why he started lashing out at people too (out of frustration).

It even made Benne clap back at me with the 49ers' record when I brought it up on Twitter, too. :wink:

Sherman has never been that fast, his game is physicality and technique. He still had great numbers this year, at least until Earl went down. I think his game style depends a lot on having Earl back there to back him up.

In any case, it may be that he lost a step, but by and large his lack of interceptions/defenses has been because most teams just aren't throwing to him.

He was a total dick at times this year though. Comes with the territory I guess.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
https://twitter.com/SheilKapadia/status/837353700469407744

rip russ

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Febreeze posted:

Okay, that owns, but I hope they change the uniforms too, otherwise white horns with yellow and blue jerseys will look garbo

Didn't they use blue and white throwbacks sometime last year? I imagine they'll look like that. Can't imagine them sticking with yellow if they change the helmet.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

The seahawks are going to destroy the nfl next year

For real? drat. Well, I guess 51 years is a good run. Shame the Pats had to be the last ever Super Bowl champs though.

rjmccall posted:

What a weird way to put that. That's the sort of cliche you use in retrospect, like "he grew so much more than anyone thought was possible". This way it's like he's predicting that the guy will fail and still suck.

Maybe he's discovered that Fant is actually a baby giant, and will be 10 feet tall by the end of the year?

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Chichevache posted:

There's no more Jeff Fisher magic.

Yeah it took me a second to remember that, but it's true! The curse is lifted. Now we just have to worry about the lovely o line.

Anyway, whoahoa, what is this about SF maybe getting Kirk Cousins? Niners fans...do you like that?

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Nervous posted:

In your heart of hearts you knew that it would always end in a Patriots victory.

Two gin-soaked tears, victory over himself, loved Bill Belichick, etc.

So, Calais Campbell is taking off? I'm liking this offseason more and more. http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nfl/cardinals/2017/03/05/cardinals-likely-lose-jefferson-campbell-free-agency/98777718/

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Benny the Snake posted:

So Adrian Peterson and Eddie Lacy are looking at the Seahawks. Know who isn't? Any offensive tackle or center worth a poo poo. Hull isn't holding? gently caress that, we need to make our cannons bigger!

We got Luke Joeckel! He was a #2 pick!

do not look at anything that has happened since then

Seriously I think TJ Lang is worth getting excited about, but I suspect he's just using Detroit and Seattle as stalking horses to get a better offer out of Green Bay.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

its all nice on rice posted:

What about Queen Anne or Magnolia? Can't forget the location across from QFC at Interbay.

My money would be on Cap Hill. God drat does Dick's sound good right now.

Chichevache posted:

But enough about Russell's ex-wife.

Bah gawd

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Hey now

That fullback costs *way* more than our O line does

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Benne posted:

Luke Joeckel sucks but he's probably still an upgrade over Fant at LT.

Also the Seahawks are interested in Jared Cook for some loving reason.

General attitude I'm getting is that he's not fast enough for LT, but that he should be able to nail down RT better than Gary Gilliam. Which, hey, I'm pretty sure my 20 pound dog could do that, but still.

Either that or Joeckel slots in at LG next to Fant, Glow moves to RG, and Ifedi gets split out to RT. Think we don't have a realistic replacement for Fant at LT right now, which, hey, this is gonna go great.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Hot Diggity! posted:

Jared Cook owned when healthy for the Packers. But he can't block for poo poo so lol

Just what the Seahawks need! Less blocking.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Bad Moon posted:

SEATTLE AREA BURGER JOINTS PREPARE FOR ONCOMING ONSLAUGHT

Only Dick's has the assembly line capacity.

Please for the love of God do not let him live in Golden Tate's old apartment above that Top Pot.

https://twitter.com/BobMcGinn/status/841694727330246660

Whoaboy

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Wonder if we can find that Mariners scout who lost his job after taunting Jesus Montero with an ice cream sandwich during a MiLB game.

Montero went on to lose a ton of weight so it seems to have been successful motivation.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Vhak lord of hate posted:

Marshawn Lunch is my personal fav.

Mods please rename me Marshawn Lunch

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
God, don't make me wax poetic about missing teriyaki joints again. So good.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Benny the Snake posted:

Thai places are a west coast thing?

Think they're fairly ubiquitous around the country now. Don't know if that was always the case, but they were still fairly common out there in the '90s.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I see the Hawks going with Kevin King in the first round if he's available. Shead is good but he won't be back til November.

Also of course the Hawks would trade Sherman, they'd trade anybody but Russ and Earl for the right offer.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Benny the Snake posted:

Hail God Emperor Carroll

The Stone Burner was an inside job!

the cocaine must flow

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Aw but he had fun

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

I am triggered so hard right now...

It's not nice to take things from Honduran children.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Nervous posted:

I received this shirt as a Christmas gift prior to that Super Bowl. I can't bring myself to wear it anymore :smith:

One of my coworkers was in Arizona during the Super Bowl and picked me up a Seahawks XLIX pin. I still have it in my office, just...not really sure what to do with it.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Fair I guess, although the lady who gave it to me isn't a Pats fan and was just trying to be nice.

I'll probably keep it, it's pretty drat sweet that we made the Bowl in the first place and were so close to repeating. This era of Seattle football has been so much fun.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Coldforge posted:

Huh. Thanks Seahawks + 30 other teams!

Darn, you got us, and in our position of greatest need--inside linebacker.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Peachfart posted:

Kearse sucks, and is mostly good for several amazing incredible catches a season, and missing every other perfectly thrown ball.
Any team that gives us a pick for him is retarded.

Can't wait for that Jets pick!

Feel kinda bad for Kearse, he's made some amazing catches and has to suffer being kind of an anti-talisman for this fanbase. But he hasn't been good in a while and is getting worse, and Russell still inexplicably gives him a ton of targets (especially in the red zone :argh:)

Coldforge posted:

Man, if you don't think Foster would upgrade a LB group that may start Michael Wilhoite or Terrance Gavin, I just don't know. Michael Wilhoite started for the Niners for a season, and while it was not altogether unpleasant, I'd never want to see it again.

Wait, is Foster an OLB after all? Wilhoite is coming in as strongside replacement for Mike Morgan. I could see Seattle wanting a little more depth at OLB, yes. But if Foster is an ILB then he would be starting behind two pro bowlers, and I can think of about five position groups that need more help than those guys.

Incidentally, in case I forgot to mention it this week, gently caress ATVs and Malik Mcdowell.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Even though I know it's symmetrical it still looks lopsided.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Sweeper posted:

Cable needs to go and they need to spend two drafts only drafting oline or something. Just shotgun the poo poo, clearly they can't draft good player on purpose

They've been drafting plenty of O line. They're just not very good at it. God, I hope that interior just needs some time and looks better this weekend.

Coldforge posted:

What's their cap situation? Are they (hopefully) screwed out of FA signings?

Below average, but set up so they'll be able to make modest signings in the future. That part is surprisingly well managed given how many guys they've had to pay.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
This is early season Seahawks. The o line will be a trash fire until maybe it isn't. @Green Bay may have been the hardest game on the schedule, so hopefully there will be some week to week improvement as they all get time together. Even Joeckel is still young, so it's at least *possible* in a way it wasn't last year with Sowell and Webb.

That being said, the offensive coaches need to realize way earlier on in the game when to cut bait with the power offense stuff. That line wasn't giving anyone lanes last week. I know going hurry up might put Rodgers on the field faster but you sure as gently caress aren't keeping him off by going 3 and out.

There isn't any conspiracy on Seahawks penalties, and by my eye the defense actually played pretty penalty-free outside the usual Rodgers hard count horseshit. Last week was just incompetent officiating, which is frustrating. But given the way the defense played, the only reason the officiating was that big of an issue was that the offense did NOTHING. The bad calls would be a footnote if they could have even put up two touchdowns against a generally very average defense.

As a side note, the Lane ejection was bullcrap, but it may end up being great for the team in the long run because I don't think Lane is very good. Throwing Griffin into the fire was a brutal start to his career, but he acquitted himself really well.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Manoueverable posted:

Honestly? I didn't think Hoyer was nearly as bad as advertised.

He threw for 89 yards

Seahawks offense is bad. Tennessee is gonna turn them into fine powder if they play like that next week.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Carroll hinted in his press conference today at scheme and personnel changes, said that Aboushi, Pocic, and Tobin are all pushing for OL time. Could they actually move toward a hurry-up, read option offense? I'll believe it when I see it.

Have to think they do something different on the right side of the line this week. It looked to me like the left side was somewhat better, but that Glowinski and Ifedi were *so* bad that it didn't matter.

Glow at least has to go, he's shown nothing for two years now. The rest of the line will gel somewhat, I just hope they do it in time to avoid injury to Russ.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

I mean, thank God for that, but "he may start because he's played against them before" is one of the dumbest reasons I can think of to start an O lineman. If Cable actually thinks anyone believes that then he's dumber than I thought.

If Aboushi starts it's because Glowinski is playing badly enough that the negative effects from shuffling the line are outweighed by his high school football-tier performance.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Leperflesh posted:

"offensive pass interference"

Whew, that's, uh, not great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Whewwwwwww