Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
SEAHAWKS, sign SEABASS, thanks in advance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Yeah Graham was outstanding in the red zone, especially factoring in the non-existent rush game. He was one of the only options.

That being said, he was utterly invisible outside of it, and had some brutal drops in the open field.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
All good things must come to an end. I will never have any ill will toward this group, it gave me the first championship I've ever experienced and has been fun as hell to boot. Maybe it should have won some more, but that matters a whole lot less to me than the Lombardi and the memories.

In any case, we still have Russ, so we'll still be drat good. Excited to see where we go in the future, it was clearly time for some changes.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Man. I'm kinda misty. I'll miss that guy. Thanks for the memories, #25. It's been fun as hell.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Yeah, the Seahawks look like they need a rebuilding year. Too many hosed up drafts meant they spent a ton of capital last year to try one more push with this core. It didn't work, so here we are. Whether they come out stronger really depends on how well Schneider does going forward, but if he's lost his edge the Hawks are screwed anyway.

Just hope they can get some youth in and make the team fun again. Watching the offense for the last two seasons was like chewing glass.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I'm actually really happy with the Seahawks draft you guys

Like, they have too many holes right now to be in position for a playoff push, but this is the first time in a while that I've felt like they were building with a team model in mind rather than trying to patch over gaps in yesterday's squad.

There's a clear thread running through each pick and it's fun to see. Hope it works out well.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Agreed 100%

What does this sentence mean

Put differently: they are building something new with direction and intent, rather than trying to patch over cracks to extend the old team's window.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Not a surprise, but still sad. Dude was a baller. Hope this isn't Kam's fate too. Two injuries like this in a season? Of all the rotten luck.

I see the Hawks as an 8-8 team this year, they spent a ton of capital to make a push last year and it didn't work. They need another year to fill the roster. Who knows though, if they can get an actual run game the offense could be good again.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

"Ton of capital" ?

They spent a second on Sheldon and he's gone. That's it.

The mid round picks we traded got us a fantastic and current LT.

Well, right, they spent a ton on Richardson as a gap fill for McDowell, who they used their top pick on to shore up the D line--not a position of need with Bennett and Avril. Duane Brown was brought in to gap fill for Fant, who was supposed to start but tore his ACL. Those two alone along with losing McDowell set the team back. Last year was a win-now team, but the gamble they took on kicker didn't work and their run game and pass rush succumbed to injury hell.

It was a reasonable attempt, but it was a big push because they knew it was that core's last shot.

I really like what the team has done with this year's draft and FA period, but they just didn't have the picks to reload they way they needed to. This year will be about figuring out who will be useful next year.

Chris James 2 posted:

Definitely think this is Carroll's last or next-to-last year in Seattle

If so, then barring catastrophe the next coach will be someone connected to Carroll, and Schneider will stay on as GM. The team they're building is designed to compete in 2019 or 2020, each move they're making appears to be about the long term.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Peachfart posted:

There would be zero point in doing this as Earl will give us a 3rd round pick in 2019 anyway.

I think there's a decent chance the team re-signs him anyway. We shall see.

Should be a fun division next year. I think the Hawks won't be as good as the Rams, but they'll be a tough out.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Leperflesh posted:

And finally, who said they'd only win six games this year? I missed that. I thought the claim was seven or fewer.

I think the original post was a typo--poster said ceiling of ten wins, ceiling of seven wins. Think they meant ceiling of ten wins, floor of seven wins. But whatever, forums gonna forum.

e. Hm quote /= edit, sorry for the double post

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

seiferguy posted:

I viscerally remember shouting gently caress YES when learning that Brian Russell got his rear end cut finally.

Yessss

Getting rid of Russell/Ruskell was such a great feeling

Seahawks Great Julius Jones

Metapod posted:

Seattle is rear end my dudes

Hell yeah I'm an rear end man

It's where Mix a Lot is from after all

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

seiferguy posted:

Welp I'm solely in the "fire Pete Carroll" camp now.

Yeah what the gently caress, gently caress allllll of this noise

Why would he give that piece of poo poo a platform

Your team plays in Seattle, fuckface!

e. The more I think about this the more angry I get. I know how much that team means to people up there, including to their LGBT fans, and to have Pete embrace that guy must be so saddening and alienating for so many of them. Just completely unacceptable.

shirts and skins fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 11, 2018

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
e. Never mind.

shirts and skins fucked around with this message at 11:34 on May 11, 2018

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
gently caress yeah, training camp at last!

Spoeank posted:

Whoops posted this in the NV and not here

https://twitter.com/MaioccoNBCS/status/1022180974442889216

Nice to have a 49ers legend cleared to play

Haven't felt like this since I saw Seahawks legend Jerry Rice take the field

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Spoeank posted:

People say that like he wasn't a Raider and that's not the thing that bothers Niners fans way, way more.

Oh, certainly. There wasn't exactly much bad blood between the Seahawks and 49ers in 2004. I see it more as being weird and vaguely uncomfortable for all involved more than anything.

My uncle is a die-hard 49ers fan, and he's way more upset about them signing Sherman than I am about losing him. He doesn't seem to know what to do with the situation, hahah.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Coldforge posted:

Sherman just coined this nickname on the NFL Network for our young secondary. Pretty cool, hope it catches on.

What, like the Crystal Method album? It's catchy, I'll give it that. Maybe it'll catch on.

Play posted:

drat dude you're literally consorting with the enemy? ;)

She could just be like my Uncle and be a 49ers fan who won't stop hating Sherman, lol. He really is an outstanding troll.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Yeah, this era of the Seahawks was bound to end soon anyway, but this pick and the subsequent moved trying to fill that hole really brought it to an end sooner.

It should be a rough season, but I'm honestly happy that the team is working on building a new core all at once rather than trying to extend the previous aging group. I'd rather have a mediocre to bad year with the potential to be better later than turn into the Ravens. Of course with the coordinators they hired maybe the whole thing will crash and burn anyway. That's sports. :shrug:

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
The Rams have also been super lucky with injury for the last two years, and historically that sort of thing is pretty random. The Rams feel so high variance, especially with all of those big personalities. They could cruise to a championship or totally fall apart.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Benne posted:

Ed Dickson, who I forgot we signed, started camp on the PUP

WILL THIS BE NICK VANNETT'S YEAR???? (it will not)

Apparently he's on the NFI with a groin strain. Could be a lingering thing so no timetable for return, but apparently nothing serious.

So, indeed, it will not be Nick Vannett's year, since it seems like he's already behind Dissly on the depth chart without Dissly even playing a snap yet.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Play posted:

I like these kind of "what if" articles.

Another thing I was thinking about the other day was how the Seahawks have been harmed in the same way by not recognizing some of the talent they already had on their team. Alex Collins is now in Baltimore looking like a feature back, and a good one at that. If the coaching staff had understood what they had they wouldn't have had to spend their first round pick this last draft the way they did, among various other knock-on effects. Mcdowell wasn't their fault obviously, this one definitely was.

That also ties into this story because if they hadn't gotten rid of Alex Collins they could've spent their first rounder on defensive tackle and finally replaced McDowell but then it couldn't/didn't happen

Collins just wasn't going to do that he's doing now with the Seahawks. I don't know if it was a bad scheme fit or if he needed the change of scenery to light a fire under his rear end, but he had ample opportunity to do this in Seattle and for some reason never did. He was competing in those post-Lynch years as part of a stable of running backs, and he was at best the fourth best back on the team at any given time. He looked slow, indecisive, and easy to bring down. Worse, he was prone to fumbles. I was honestly relieved to see him gone--glad he is doing well for himself but I do not regret him being cut at all.

The Hawks have had a couple of good backs head elsewhere, and the one that us fans really regret is Spencer Ware. That was a guy who had real potential, he was just young, unproven, and behind several guys on the depth chart. The team tried stashing him on the practice squad, but KC saw his potential and that was that.

The problem with the Seahawks run game, besides the obvious horrid blocking, was a set of brutal injuries to backs who were very good at the time. Thomas Rawls was great until his leg shattered in Baltimore, then he was never the same. CJ Prosise absolutely destroyed the Patriots in New England as a receiving back, then developed nagging injuries and hasn't been able to stay on the field. Chris Carson was really good at the start of last year, then he went down for the season. So yeah, in hindsight, would have been nice to have Collins, but that's all hindsight in the light of those injuries.

Really, I'm not sure any of them would have thrived for long, since Cable's blocking scheme had totally fallen apart. There's another story of injury consequences with presumptive RT George Fant getting rolled up on in preseason last year, leading to that expensive trade for Duane Brown...but I doubt Fant would have made a huge difference. The team needed to change coordinators in the worst way. Unfortunately we got Schottenheimer, which is the only thing that really worries me. But this blowup was coming regardless, even if it was hastened by that string of bad luck.

shirts and skins fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jul 27, 2018

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

I mean, it's a Costacos Bros. poster, they're supposed to be like this. Those guys are based out of Seattle so this is kind of an homage to 90s Seattle sports more than anything--Reign Man and all that.

Not like there's a shortage of Russ doing other extremely dorky poo poo with much less explanation. Looking at you, terrifying Lovecfaftian maternity shoot with Ciara.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Inspector 34 posted:

Reminds me of a Mariners poster I used to have from the early '90s with Kevin Mitchell and somebody else I can't remember at the moment. Pretty sure the tag line was Dynamite Brothers or something. But basically the same idea as that graphic.

I think you're thinking of Dynamic Duo, which was ARod and Griffey:

Which is of course less famous than this classic:

e. Oh! Maybe you had a copy of Kevin Mitchell, the Master Blaster!

shirts and skins fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jul 28, 2018

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
*sputtering* those niners corners just hold every down and dare the refs to call it! It's not fair!

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Coldforge posted:

I mean, it's true. Not like it's going to matter with Schotty as your OC, but prepare yourself for it.

I'm genuinely struggling to decide whether three 8 yard curls on 3rd and 10 is an improvement over Bevell or not

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

It's nice having Earl Thomas behind you, huh?

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Sherman is an outstanding cornerback, but he's never had top-line speed. That was usually covered up by Earl's presence, but if Sherm loses a step after surgery I could see him getting a good deal worse fairly quickly.

Still really early in the preseason though, he may just be getting into shape.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I guess they've finally settled on what to call each brother - Shaquille Griffin = Shaq, Shaquem Griffin = Griff. I was wondering how they'd make that work.

Had someone else ask me how their jerseys would be different. They'd both by S. Griffin! Um, their numbers will be different.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Lol there's vid out of that pick now. Shaquem is rad.

https://twitter.com/Seahawks/status/1024037667493670912?s=19

Since it's a training camp kinda camera angle, tough to tell whether if was a great jump or just Russ being rusty. Fuckin sweet to see though, really hope he makes the team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Spoeank posted:

I'm glad I taught you basic forums skills because I'm a drat sucker for a gopro stuck to stuff

Then I assume you saw this already, but I may as well post it anyway

https://twitter.com/Jon_Christian/status/1023376391985930241?s=19

The Browns just offered the dog 3yrs/$27 million

• Locked thread