Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Shindragon posted:

I don't blame the Hawks for our downfall. I blame the goddamn Ravens. That SB loss was the beginning.

Yeah. I mean, that's what really sent Jed's expectations through the roof; it was so easy to look at that game and say, "hey, we should've won that," and apparently in Jed's mind that sentence continues, "so if we don't win it by next year, there must be something seriously wrong."

Some of the rest was just normal window-closing, accelerated by a bunch of failed drafts. We were really beaten up by the end of the next year, and our depth was already dropping off; I don't think there's much chance we would've housed the Broncos like Seattle did, though maybe we still would've won. But the huge shock was all the "Harbaugh's gone? gently caress it" retirements, and that's all on Jed and his prissy little fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

What a weird way to put that. That's the sort of cliche you use in retrospect, like "he grew so much more than anyone thought was possible". This way it's like he's predicting that the guy will fail and still suck.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Niners going all the way (to the end of the regular season, finishing with a 4-12 record)

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Alright, so the 49ers get home games against the Cardinals (in two weeks) and the Giants (in three weeks), and those look like our best shots by far to not go 0-16, given that the Rams will probably not be resting starters in Week 17.

Did we really just play Eric Reid at LB?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Peachfart posted:

Cross posting from the N/V thread:

:effort:

I don't see why I can expect them to put in any more effort as players than I am as a fan.

Woo 49ers, let's go get that #2 pick again.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Kazak_Hstan posted:

this season will end with brian hoyer starting ahead of garropolo

Unlikely! But only because we released Hoyer.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Remember when the Rams were the only reliably bad team in the division but we were all still terrified of playing them? Imagine if they’d actually fired Jeff Fisher when it was obvious how much he was holding them back.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Bubba Smith posted:

red bird legends Drew Stanton & Adrian Peterson are gonna drag us out of bad team realm, sorry guys

Red birds flying high on their 20-10 defeat of the 49ers, I see.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Goondolences. Do we have any 49ers ticket holders left?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
The difference between selling the PSLs at the bottom of the market (which this probably is) and selling on the rebound is probably less than the difference between the annual ticket price and what they'd make trying to sell those tickets individually every week — and that's putting aside the annoyance of actually doing that 8-10 times a year.

But you should still try to sell your PSLs, the site is really painless and there's probably some scalper who'll give you 50% on them.

rjmccall fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 6, 2017

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I think I can quietly accept wanting good things to happen to the Rams this year just to permanently cement the Chargers as a total failure in LA. Next year, though, it'll be back to full-throttle gently caress LA.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Late round (and UDFA) gems will always happen, because scouting is an inexact process at best, and some players will just develop more than others once they're on an NFL team. This is also why there will always be lots of first-rounder busts.

These are mostly just like 20-24 year olds. A lot of them are still getting their poo poo together.

I think Darius's point was that the Seahawks won't be able to duplicate the value they got from Sherman's pick without getting lucky, not that there will never again be a 5th-round pick worth a drat.

A huge part of why the Seahawks got so good so fast is that they hit on a bunch of mid/late-round draft picks several years in a row, so for awhile there all their stars were not just on rookie contracts but on especially cheap rookie contracts.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
pre:
2010:
1 (6)	Russell Okung		T	Oklahoma State		
1 (14)	Earl Thomas		S	Texas
2 (60)	Golden Tate		WR	Notre Dame
4 (111)	Walter Thurmond		CB	Oregon
4 (127)	E.J. Wilson		DE	North Carolina
5 (133)	Kam Chancellor		FS	Virginia Tech
6 (185)	Anthony McCoy		TE	Southern Cal
7 (236)	Dexter Davis		DE	Arizona State
7 (245)	Jameson Konz		WR	Kent State	

2011:
1 (25)	James Carpenter 	T	Alabama
3 (75)	John Moffitt	 	G	Wisconsin
4 (99)	K.J. Wright 		LB	Mississippi State
4 (107)	Kris Durham 		WR	Georgia
5 (154)	Richard Sherman 	CB	Stanford
5 (156)	Mark LeGree 		FS	Appalachian State	
6 (173)	Byron Maxwell 		CB	Clemson
7 (205)	Lazarius Levingston 	DE	LSU
7 (242)	Malcolm Smith 		OLB	USC

2012:
1 (15)	Bruce Irvin		DE	West Virginia
2 (47)	Bobby Wagner		LB	Utah State
3 (75)	Russell Wilson		QB	Wisconsin
4 (106)	Robert Turbin		RB	Utah State
4 (114)	Jaye Howard		T	Florida
5 (154)	Korey Toomer		LB	Idaho
6 (172)	Jeremy Lane		CB	Northwestern State
6 (181)	Winston Guy		S	Kentucky
7 (225)	J. R. Sweezy		DE	N.C. State
7 (232)	Greg Scruggs		DE	Louisville

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Delanie Walker has proven to be a really good TE, and it is among the 49ers’ many terrible personnel fuckups of that time that we let him walk.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Spoeank posted:

In his last season with the Niners he dropped nine goddamn balls on 39 targets so I literally do not fault SF in the slightest for showing Walker the door.

He had a down year in his first year with a new QB who was still working through some serious velocity and accuracy issues. He returned to his historical rate the next year and then just kept getting better.

We had a lot of bad luck with injuries and retirements, but Baalke also just let a ton of talent walk out the door over and over because he was convinced he was some genius drafter. He didn't think we needed to keep two veteran TEs and so he chose VD, which is a dumbass way of approaching a roster, especially when the players fit totally different roles.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I don't mean to say that he was amazing when he was here, and he's definitely gotten better since he left, but :shrug: I always liked him.

I dunno, I think fans tend to under-value players who are sitting around league average, as if there was some reliable way of replacing them with a better player. "League average" means average across everyone who's actually playing, i.e. mostly across starters, which is going to be quite a bit higher than the average of all the available players. Losing even an average starting-quality player means the team is probably in for a few years of throwing draft picks and FA contracts at dudes who are probably going end up being quite a bit worse than the guy who just walked; plus there's a lot of value in having people who've played together for more than just a couple weeks of training camp.

Of course there are salary cap concerns the other way, and you can't just be loyal to everyone forever.

rjmccall fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Nov 12, 2017

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
The road to 1-15 starts HERE.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
The unreasonable-expectations bandwagon for Garoppolo starts right here.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Gotta say that that whole drive was real pretty. Good pocket awareness, nice scramble, beautiful throw at the end.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I bet we could win 2 or 3 games out of 10 against the Broncos.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Spoeank posted:

I'm waiting for the inevitable season where Russ is just a hair too slow to pull off his houdini act and gets plastered repeatedly instead of spinning out of it and throwing an 83 yard rope TD

Not an empty quote.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
We’ve had a lot of ridiculous-number-of-field-goals games in the last few years.

Can’t describe it as a winning strategy, but hey.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Does anywhere here follow college ball enough to judge how Harbaugh is doing in Michigan? I vouched for him to my grieving aunt, whose husband was a UM diehard, and I’d hate to think I was wrong. But so far it looks unspectacular.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Alright, thanks, I appreciate the rundown.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Who do we slip against anyway? Just the Giants? I’ll take the win.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Extremely same.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Yeah, their only shot at a bye is the Vikings losing out against the Packers and the Bears, so the Rams will probably rest Week 17 unless they lose to the Titans or the Vikings lose to the Packers. If the Vikings do lose, I think the Rams play to win.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

DariusLikewise posted:

It depends as well on the Saints, the Rams could be playing for the 3rd seed if the Saints win out.

Would you really care enough about whether you’d face the Panthers or Falcons (or anybody else with a credible shot) to actually play the game?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
If I’m the LA Rams? Carolina, probably, on the assumption that my line will eat Cam alive.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Fisher definitely helped put together a drat good roster; the Rams had a lot of high picks, sure, but a lot of them have panned out, apparently including the huge bet-the-farm trade for Goff.

He’s just not a good coach.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I have three months to not regret the Niners completing the Quest for Six Wins.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I think I’ve run out of capacity of rooting for L.A.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I don't know why you're posting that when it's well-known that the 49ers gave up a second-round pick just to rent Jimmy G for six games.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
There was a hilarious snow game where we were thumping the Pats really hard in the first half, but Brady didn’t get benched, he led a second-half comeback that ultimately fell just short.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Oh yeah, I had forgotten about Justin getting hurt.

So many fumbled snaps. :allears:

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Yeah. As much as I appreciate Hyde, I don’t think we really owe him some extreme level of loyalty.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Huh, it's mid-May and Metapod is suddenly posting more in the NFL threads, for some reason, again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Benny the Snake posted:

This motherfucker right here...

https://twitter.com/PeteCarroll/status/1002223930696912897?s=19

Edit-if Carroll wasn't coaching football, he'd be a new age cult leader I think.

This is quite a lot of words to so perfectly avoid saying anything. It manages to be vague enough that an inveterate racist could make it out to be a denunciation of the SPLC.

• Locked thread