Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I hate the Patriots so loving much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

The Rams are switching to Wade Phillips 3-4 "hybrid" defense, which will be fun because they don't have any of the personnel for it.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Jon Ryan owns

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Bad Moon posted:

Rams and Niners goons tell me about how your fandoms are reacting to the changes to your defensive alignments.

I've thought about it some more after initially thinking the Rams were dumb for switching to a 3-4, but as long as they put Aaron Donald in a position where he can get one-on-one in pass rushing and find another good middle linebacker they should be pretty solid. I trust Wade Phillips to not completely try and force a system on the players rather tailor a system to make it work with the talent they have.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Bad Moon posted:

That's interesting. You're front 4 always seemed so monstrous I wondered why they would deviate from that strength but I suppose if they can maintain pressure they could compensate for their defenses flaws more.

For the most part I think a switch to a 3-4 from the 4-3 means Robert Quinn will just rush from a 2-point stance rather then down in 3-point and the rest of the d-line will shift a little over to the right, but who knows

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Like Goff into the Rams offense? I would of much rather had the 2 first round picks at this point.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

The Rams are hosed this year too, they will have 40 million in cap space, but no first round pick and they will probably use most of that space re-signing Trumaine Johnson, TJ MacDonald and Kenny loving Britt

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

MILLENNIUM BLUE AND CENTURY GOLD

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Weird that they wouldn't at least put the lowest tender on Shead just to have the right of first refusal. Also I didn't realize the Seahawks had signed noted rapist Perrish Cox.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Rams are going to go into the season with Tavon Austin and Bradley Marquez as their top two wide receivers

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

DariusLikewise posted:

Rams are going to go into the season with Tavon Austin and Bradley MarquezRobert Woods as their top two wide receivers

I don't know the rest of the NFC West will contain this dynamic duo

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

The Rams are moving Greg Robinson to right tackle this year, I guess all your left defensive ends get to pad their sack totals this year :shrug:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Jared Cook shows up for like 4 games a year

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

There's no way he'll beat out Havenstein for that spot. Maybe he'll battle with Brown/Donnal for the RG position. Or maybe he'll just be out of football.

No I don't think he'll even start again, sounds like they are going to see if he can play right tackle and keep him as a swing backup. He's on the last year of his rookie deal so they don't get anything by cutting him this year and if he's a decent backup maybe they can get him to stay on cheap next year as a backup? What a waste of a number 2 pick.

They are doing a good job rebuilding the offensive line this offseason though, I can get excited about a Whitworth-Saffold-Groy/Mangold-Brown-Havenstein line

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

I liked the Rams draft, I think they did a good job considering how badly they decimated themselves with the Goff trade last year.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

I completely forgot that Robert Woods signed with the Rams for 2 months until about 10 minutes ago when I was reading the Bills GM got fired.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Real men don't sit down

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Rams claimed some guy named Mike Purcell off waivers from the 49ers

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Coldforge posted:

He's a good, quick penetration run stopping guy. As long as that's all you ask of him, he'll be solid.

He's probably just there to backup Brockers at nose tackle. We are pretty hosed for depth if guys start going down and we need to plug guys into a 3-4 scheme they've never played before.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Jared Goff loving sucks

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

This year will probably be the best offensive unit the Rams have put on the field since 2003. Sammy Watkins was the best move as they now have a legitimate number 1 wide receiver which makes everyone on the depth chart behind him look so much better. Tavon Austin, Pharoh Cooper, Cooper Kupp, Robert Woods sound a lot better when they are not the number one option in your offense. Andrew Whitworth is the best Left Tackle they've had since Orlando Pace's release. Todd Gurley can't be as bad as he was last season. The only issue they will have is depth as Jeff Fisher stacked the defense at the expense of completely depleting the offense.

All I'm saying is if Jared Goff can't toss at least 20 TDs this year with a 60% completion rate he loving sucks.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

I wouldn't exactly say oft-injured average corner, a receiver who can't catch and a 2nd year 5th round running back constitutes a fire sale

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

That would be a funny febreeze comic, Pete Carroll placing players in his driveway in a garage sale

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Lamarcus Joyner and Mo Alexander are decent, but besides Cody Davis, they're other three backups are rookies.

If the bucs wouldn't have gotten Ward, I'm sure the Rams would have gone after him.

Doubt it, Maurice Alexander is 26 and TJ Ward is 30 and slowing down. Unless he would be okay coming off waiver to be a backup it wouldn't really be worth it.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

AARON DONALD IS IN

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

its all nice on rice posted:

The Rams will still somehow go 9-7.

That would be their best season in like ten years

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Agreed on all points.

Goff was thrown in to the worst scenario last year with gently caress head Fisher. Now that Goff has someone who has a semblance of running an offense, he has a chance. Only time will tell.

Agreed, gently caress Jeff Fisher

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Chaos will reign supreme and the Niners will beat the Rams 49-0 on Thursday night

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

The Rams better get their D in order, or holy poo poo will it be a long season. Hopefully they can shore up some stuff during the next ten days.

I obviously love the Rams' offensive turn around (gently caress Jeff Fisher).

Credit to the niners, though. Maybe their O has come out of its coma.

Luckily it looks like most of the problems the Rams are having on defense can be coached. Lots of guys losing contain and not sticking in gaps is really screwing them. Credit to Brian Hoyer he dropped some really good deep passes last night that the Rams had no chance to defend.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Isn't there some random FA guys out there that the Seahawks could sign and plug in that could be better than what they have. Nick Mangold is still out there

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Rams bitch

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Hi. I'm officially a Los Angeles Rams fan now because Jay Cutler killed my brain. What should I know about the Rams

Always be prepared for massive disappointment.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

NFC West: RIP Jeff Fisher's Coaching Career (1985-2016)

Edit: Alternatively

NFC West: Here lies Jeff Fisher, he never scored

DariusLikewise fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 2, 2017

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

its all nice on rice posted:

Didn't the rams start 3-1 last year?

They did with such games as a 28-0 loss to the Blaine Gabbert 49ers and historical 9-3 and 17-13 wins over the Seahawks and the Cardinals respectively.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

I think it would be fair to compare Gore's career to Emmitt Smith's or Curtis Martin's who are both in the hall of fame

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Gore was never as dominant at any point in time as those two but I think he'll wind up 5th or 6th on the all time list and that would be pretty hard to keep out.

Gore also played halfway into the Era where number 1 running backs are rare and pass play % is way up. Voters are smart enough to look at that kind of stuff right?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

I made the most horrible noise when Kupp dropped that pass, the Rams are not ready for the big-time.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Now that I've recovered from Canadian Thanksgiving here's what pissed me off about that Seahawks game

The play balance was poo poo. Seattle was just pinning their ears back and pass rushing the whole 2nd half. There wasn't a lot of Running room, but it was there in the first half which coincidentally was where the Rams got their only touchdown. For a game that was pretty much tied the whole way there's no excuse just to abandon the run game completely.

Goff's worst pass of the day wasn't that Earl Thomas intercept, his arm was hit there and the ball flew up, it was the screen pass he tossed to Gurley that was intercepted by Sheldon Richardson. He put it way to high for something that was pretty much a 3 yard pass.

One sequence to me that stood out to me was right before half when there was about a minute thirty left on the clock and the Rams were 2nd down and needed 15 yards to get in field goal range. Goff threw 2 straight incompletions looking for a touchdown, the Seahawks had enough time left after the punt to drive and get a field goal to tie it before half. If the Rams played for the field goal they could have gone into half-time up 13-7 instead of tied and I think it's a different game in the 2nd half.

When the Rams got the ball back with 4 minutes left down by 3 on their own 7, you got that feeling that Goff just isn't good enough to drive the length of the field against the Seahawks defense and score to win the game. He's not there yet. Frank Clark had the play of the game forcing a fumble on that drive.

Kupp should have caught that pass at the end of the game, that was an awful drop and it was a perfect pass.

Those are just my disjointed thoughts and observations. The Seahawks defense is still amazing and the good part I can take away from the game is the Rams always felt like they were in the game and not just hanging on by a thread like every game under Fisher. They need to make way less mistakes in the re-match because if they commit 5 turnovers on top of some Earl Thomas style bullshit there's no way they can win.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Rams hand off the ball to Todd Gurley 20+ times and score touchdowns on Special Team instead of fumbling and win :smugbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Pretty whacky game overall. Hope Fournette is okay

They already said he was medically cleared to re-enter the game shortly after he came off but the Jaguar coaches held him out.

• Locked thread