Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Pat White didn't survive long enough to really contribute.

Brian Brohm never played for the Packers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/72888/why-isnt-christian-hackenberg-playing-this-isnt-triple-a

quote:

Once the season begins, it's hard to develop backups because their practice reps are few and far between. Hackenberg and Petty split the scout-team reps. If one throws an incomplete pass, he yields to the other. Bates developed that system to make it competitive.

That sounds.... really dumb.

Nov 6, 2002

i ♥ afc east

Nov 6, 2002

Major Ryan posted:

I wonder if Ehud remembers telling me how fortune I was to be a new Dolphins fan as they began their upswing to relevance.

Good times man, good times.

There's no defending Cutler. You can't bring someone in as a one year stopgap and immediately start treating them like a project. Now the season's over, they shouldn't play him, it's a waste of development time.

Uh, what quarterback should they be developing? A 33 year old Matt Moore or the practice squad fodder from the Bears?

Nov 6, 2002

Major Ryan posted:

Team in general rather than qb, but having said that, what's wrong with taking a look at Brandon Doughty?

Cutler's done for like five different reasons, no point wasting any more time on him. Moore's a fair backup, but we know what he does and doesn't do and isn't evolving into anything at 33. Tannehill is almost certainly starting next year, so if Doughty sucks (he probably sucks) what does it matter?

I think putting in a practice squad quarterback would probably be a bad idea if you want to find out what the rest of your offensive cast is capable of.

Nov 6, 2002

#veryveryveryslightregression

Nov 6, 2002

evilweasel posted:

that's pretty reasonable, the last super bowl was helped out a lot by giving him four weeks off and he's taking a ton of hits. i think the jimmy g trade had to happen but the brisset trade isn't looking great.

You mean 7 catches from Dorset isn't as valuable as a quality backup for a 40 year old QB?

Nov 6, 2002

What did he say this week?

Nov 6, 2002

evilweasel posted:

theres no place that fits him more

Panama City Beach

Nov 6, 2002

How bad was Tyrod's injury?

Nov 6, 2002

How was McCown dogpoo for the first 2/3rds of his career?

Nov 6, 2002

McCown broke his hand.

Give us Hack.

Nov 6, 2002

evilweasel posted:

They weren't doing badly enough to be worth tanking, they should feel pretty good about that win and i think they're technically alive for the playoffs. They're not trying to draft a QB so there's no need for extreme tanking, better to develop the players you have and hope next year is the year Brady dies.

Now I am really bummed New England couldn't find a way to keep Jimmy G so that the AFC East was tormented by the Patriots for another decade.

Nov 6, 2002

Kalli posted:

Brady and Belichick are going to walk away from the Patriots like it's an explosion in an action movie, and I'm completely okay with that.

When that happens the AFC East is going to be like the NFC West in the late 2000s. Just a collection of dregs preparing to send a lamb to the slaughter.

Nov 6, 2002

Play posted:

What did NE get for Jimmy G? Whatever it was, they probably should've kept him around. That's just showing an absurd amount of faith in your amazing but nearly elderly quarterback. Suddenly the 49ers look like spoilers and the whole team has life.

Then again for the 49ers probably the best place to go for a decent starting quarterback is a second string who is forced to play behind Brady.

A 2nd. They wanted a long term deal to keep Jimmy around while Brady finished up but Jimmy, understandably, wanted to be a real starter and wanted real starter money. So knowing they weren't going to be able to work out a long team deal after this season, and he'd be a free agent, they just traded him for what they could get at the deadline.

With every game Jimmy wins that pick gets worse.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 13, 2017

Nov 6, 2002

torgeaux posted:

No, no, I see from the Andy Cohen that "Dolphins Now Right Back In It!" Sure, they have to win out, and other teams have to crap themselves, but this is it!

Of course, the same article says, "Adam Gase has been waiting all season to unleash Grant in the passing game..." Who comes up with crap like that?

The fins have looked good on play calling on offense and making fewer mental errors on defense the last two weeks. This is the team I thought they'd be this season. Fewer penalties, fewer missed assignments, and not quite so many passes of -2 to 2 yards.

538 has a good statistical look at the trend in the NFL towards passing at the line of scrimmage and how it sucks.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/nfl-quarterbacks-are-leaning-on-the-short-pass-and-its-not-working/

My thoughts on MNF and the Dolphins: The Patriots didn't convert a single 3rd down, yet they still only lost by seven. A competent opponent would have put that game away.

Nov 6, 2002

Amy Pole Her posted:

He’s so bad holy hell

That last pick was magnificent.

Nov 6, 2002

Real hurthling! posted:

You play to win the game

-dumbass big ben refusing to spike

It wasn't a bad idea to take a shot, but you throw a safe throw like a fade or something.

Nov 6, 2002

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Romo even called it before the ruling too. It's a dumb fuckin' rule and I won't be sad to see it go

Romo is very familar with getting screwed by that rule.

Nov 6, 2002

I still can't believe a bullying scandal happened in professional football.

Nov 6, 2002

I don't.

Nov 6, 2002

Kalli posted:

My view is, it's fine to view Landry as not being worth what he wanted, but I don't get replacing him with Amendola and that Chiefs guy. Not that they aren't fine #2 / #3 options, but they're paying them almost what Landry's making, and they gave them an odd amount of guaranteed money, pretty much keeping Amendola for 2 and the other guy for 3 years.

It's kinda funny because the Patriots didn't see Welker being worth what he wanted and also tried to replace him with Amendola for basically the same amount of money the Broncos gave Welker.

Nov 6, 2002

Amy Pole Her posted:

Tannehill really isn’t this injury prone guy everyone is saying he is.

He really isn't. But for quarterbacks coming from an ACL the first year can often be a "down" year compared to their normal performance, which could complicate decisions for Miami when the season is over.

Nov 6, 2002

Real hurthling! posted:

My limited knowledge of situation not following sports all summer:
The jets know as well as we do that no top qb would stick with the team if they could leave and if darnold develops into a top qb they dont want to be paying him to play for new england in 2023

What i think:
Lol jets baby

Are you trying to say that the Jets are going to sabotage Darnold so he doesn't become a top QB so they don't have to pay him?

Nov 6, 2002

They won like five games last year and got better at the most important position.

Nov 6, 2002

I thinks it's pretty hard for fans to objectively observe when a coach is a bad play caller - except for extreme examples like old bed and breakfast - because we really have no idea exactly how the sausage is made on any particular team.

Also lol at Gase being a bad play caller when he was hired because of his playcalling in Chicago.

Nov 6, 2002

Now they're going to punish him for holding out and stick him with the 3rd string for a month.

Nov 6, 2002

Amy Pole Her posted:

Cut Teddy let him roam free

Naw, he needs a year on a roster just being healthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

Diva Cupcake posted:

Jets actually have a worse TE situation but this is still surprising to me.

That should never be surprising.

• Locked thread