Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
If I had the choice to fire the entire division into the sun I'd do it just to get rid of the Packers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Emanuel Collective posted:

Reports are the Glennon deal will average 14.5 mil over 3 years. Jesus Christ

lol bears

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

loving christ are you kidding me

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

R.D. Mangles posted:

if the packers get another HOF QB after rodgers i will literally spontaneously combust

I would probably organize some kind of crusade to go and burn down Lambeau field if that happened

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
They panicked that they weren't gonna get their guy and made a really dumb move.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

C-Euro posted:

I've been saying this about the Lions for a couple years now, quit cribbing my style.

Fellow Lions fans who actually paid attention to the leadup to the draft, tell me why I should or shouldn't be excited for this Davis guy.

He's not a Tight End

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

R.D. Mangles posted:

the bears are tanking fofor the number 1 pick next season

They'll then trade down for two 2nds and a cheese sandwich.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I'm not even going to bother showing that to my Bears fan friend because he's already been through enough the past two days, the poor bastard.

edit: I will however be showing it to all my other friends because :lol: bears

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
The Lions drafted a player from my alma mater, EMU!

Can't wait to watch him play for the first time :v:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Henchman of Santa posted:

Honoring the legacy of Ron Rice and Charlie Batch. Also the Eagles are (sort of) legit now! They went to a bowl game!

They did! Though I do find it funny that they managed to achieve the level of Not Terrible at the exact moment that everyone on campus would rather cut the program entirely than go along with the administration's plan to build a new (extremely expensive) athletic facility.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/873245661529075713

:suicide:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Amy Pole Her posted:

Guys if you hate the packers but don't care about the other teams in the NFC north what are you

Perpetually disappointed.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

IcePhoenix posted:

Do the Lions really hate any teams in the division? They've always been the little brother that's just kind of there.

I am personally willing, given the opportunity, to lead an expedition north, over the Mackinac Bridge, across the UP, and into the cursed land of Wisconsin, so that we may sack the city of Green Bay, destroy Lambeau Field, and salt the earth so that nothing may grow again.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Dexo posted:

That's more than messecary. If you jettison the team that city will destroy itself. The Packers are the only thing keeping northern Wisconsin from dying off.

They are gonna be forced to burn their "ownership" stake to keep warm.

That's certainly true. At the same time, however, it's not about what's necessary.

It's about what's right.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
It's basically guaranteed the Lions are going to give me some kind of heart failure and drive me into the depths of despair this season, the only question is when.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Scipiotik posted:

Yeah, I'd say the Lions are best and most competent, and it's not even really close right now.

God help us

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/Justin_Rogers/status/891359383543844864

This sounds good!

https://twitter.com/ttwentyman/status/891343523336814592

BEST SHAPE OF HIS LIFE

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

WHOOPS posted:

I like how vague this is. like, it maybe wasn't the same QB coach, just another QB coach based in Cali.

Apparently it's actually pretty significant, since it's the first time that Stafford's done something like this... ever. (Also it is the same coach IIRC)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/ZachZaidman/status/894625326457901059

Look at this boring motherfucker

I need a QB who will passive aggressively spike balls into the Turf and glare at players silently. When the team needs to be motivated.

Missed the more important tweet there:

https://twitter.com/ZachZaidman/status/894625586773200897

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/erikschlitt/status/894647813493190658

I still can't believe the Lions drafted a 48 year old man

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Henchman of Santa posted:

Have you seen his baby picture?

I hadn't, so looked it up:

https://twitter.com/TaylorRooks/status/682751156007874560

:stare:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

tinstaach posted:

Good lord, the Lions might have to put in literal orange pylons on the D-line this year.

https://twitter.com/ProFootballDoc/status/896801278214328321

(It's Kerry Hyder :smith:)

The offense is going to have to start scoring 40+ points a game because otherwise :suicide:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Stafford was reported to be absent from practice today, so they must have just finished hammering out the details. All I can wonder now is how far north it is of $25 million a year, and whether our cap can sustain it (especially with a bunch of contracts coming up next year)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Now that Stafford's hit his payday, let's check in with his backup:

https://twitter.com/NateAtkins_/status/902575553257119744

:lol:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

It's a cute stat but ultimately meaningless since it's devoid of context. Stafford's been playing on a team that was bad for a long time, and for most of the stretch of 2009-2013 he and Calvin Johnson were the only two people making them even remotely competitive. Going down the "What about WINS" road just takes you to Mark Sanchez, who was drafted the same year and has four playoff wins, and you don't see anyone bursting down the door to sign him these days.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/kpatra/status/902516730890735617

https://twitter.com/WillBrinson/status/902511872313786368

https://twitter.com/PaulHembo/status/902509925137567746

Suffice it to say, Staff deserves every goddamn dollar.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 29, 2017

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

xsf421 posted:

It won't be the biggest for very long. I think a few big names are coming up next off-season that should beat Stafford's contract.

Cousins is probably the big one. Honestly, the Lions probably got lucky that Washington hosed up their negotiations this offseason-if Cousins had managed to sign a "New Biggest Contract (TM)", that probably would've pushed Stafford's deal even higher.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

iospace posted:

Lions Playoffs wins with Stafford: 0.

We'd have one if the refs hadn't picked up that goddamn flag :argh:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Hizawk posted:

He was going to get cut, so how the gently caress did they pull that off.

There's gonna be a feeding frenzy on bubble players once teams have to cut down to their 53 man rosters, so it makes sense that a team like the 49ers would be willing to trade a cheap pick to make sure they get the player they want.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Huh, didn't see this coming:

https://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson/status/904005632759656448

He certainly wasn't good last year, but it's still pretty surprising all the same.

Edit: This one is less surprising but it's personally a bit disappointing, since I graduated from EMU and was hoping he'd succeed:

https://twitter.com/davebirkett/status/904003796543709184

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Lions announced their final round of cuts.

Unfortunately, the incredibly named Storm Norton didn't make the team.

Edit: Other highlights:

-5 Receivers (TJ Jones and Jared Abbrederis ended up making the cut)
-3 Tight Ends (RIP Cole Wick)
-5(!) Running Backs, including game 4 standout Tion Green
-11 Defensive Backs
-Antwione Williams and Brad Kaaya gone

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 2, 2017

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

congratulations to future leading jersey seller Jared Abbrederis

Pardon me I believe you misspelled "Kenny Golladay"

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Parallelwoody posted:

How many games will it take this year to realize rooting for the lions is only a path to misery? Six?

This year?

Edit:

quote:

"All I know is she wants to win," says Ernie Accorsi, who was hired to help in the GM search. "She wants this so badly. She really does. She's tired of losing."

Aren't we loving all, Martha :sigh:

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 8, 2017

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Yeah, while I hate the Packers and enjoy reveling in the Bears' misery, the Vikings are just sort of... there :geno:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

WHOOPS posted:

Who on the Lions can even get to Bradford? Is Ziggy Ansah even alive at this point?

I'm as surprised as you are, but there's a chance that the defensive line might not be as bad as it was last year. A'Shawn Robinson especially is looking like a force on the line, and Anthony Zettel could potentially be this year's Kerry Hyder. Ansah's still being brought in slowly, but if he gets back to anywhere near his 2014/15 levels of performance, the Lions' defensive line could at least reach the levels of "Somewhat adequate"

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Hahaha that's great.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Does Sam Bradford just have plywood for bones and chewing gum for tendons?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

LabyaMynora posted:

I did a search to see what Aaron Rodger's WL vs winning teams was and here's what I found:

code:
Quarterback			Wins		Losses
Matthew Stafford		5		46
Aaron Rodgers			21		29
Tom Brady			50		33
Matt Ryan			17		22
Drew Brees			20		48
Russell Wilson			19		12
Got this from here: https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2017/7/18/15979628/matthew-stafford-record-vs-winning-teams-aaron-rodgers-drew-brees-tom-brady-matt-ryan

It's a pro-Lions site trying to argue that Stafford's 5-46 against winning teams is a bogus stat, but I think the above is pretty damning. No one said that in order to be a good quarterback you had to have a positive ratio, but it should be better than 10%.

Stafford's 5-46 is abysmal. Rodgers's 21-29 isn't great. Tom Brady's 50-33 is godlike. Russell Wilson's 19-12 is bullshit.

So are you suggesting that Russel Wilson is a better quarterback than Aaron Rodgers? Wins are a team statistic, and don't necessarily reflect on the abilities of the quarterback-especially when the rest of the roster is garbage. Stafford came into the league on the worst team in NFL history, playing against three different playoff contenders twice a year. Of course Stafford has a bad record against good teams, because the Lions were a bad team for a long time, and a highly inconsistent for years after that.

If you think Stafford's a bad QB, fine, and show me why you think he is. Don't just say "Oh well a 5-46 record is unacceptable" when any Lions fan will agree that the team was utter garbage Stafford's first few years (With 2011 being an overperformance against a soft schedule), and that the record would likely be 0-51 if it wasn't for Stafford's ability.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

SKULL.GIF posted:

What's Stafford's record against winning teams if you limit for only years where the Lions were good?

If you limit it to winning seasons, 2-17 (0-6 2011, 1-5 2014, 1-6 2016)

Or, more accurately,

augias posted:

Lions.... Good?

Edit: If you limit it to just the past three Caldwell years (Overall record: 27-23), you end up with a 3-18 record against winning teams. Progress! :toot:

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 16, 2017

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

LabyaMynora posted:

In my opinion, Russell Wilson is not a better QB than Aaron Rodgers, but he's a luckier one. As the saying goes, sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. The Fail Mary game alone swings one win from Russell to Aaron.

I also don't think Matt Stafford is a bad QB, but I don't think he should be the highest paid player in the league or whatever. It seems ridiculous on its face. Yeah, you could say, well a lot of other teams would've paid him that, therefore that's his worth on the market. I don't think overpaying mediocre QBs and making them the highest player in the league is sustainable. It sucks enough when a Super Bowl winning QB like Flacco gets it, but now a guy who hasn't won a playoff game gets to be highest paid in the league? That's bullshit.

Also - the argument that his team has sucked is suspect. He had Calvin Johnson and Suh, for example. Put those two players on the Packers and Aaron Rodgers would have 2 more rings.

Can you name literally any other player on the Lions from 2009 to 2013? Suh and Johnson were terrific players. They were also the only good players on the Lions aside from Stafford and the loving kicker, which is why the Lions went 4-12 even when Johnson was breaking the single-season receiving record.

edit: :rip: Jason Hanson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

LabyaMynora posted:

Ziggy Ansah? Golden Tate? Cliff Avril? Did they have a RB named Abdullah that seemed good for a while? Or are they after 2013? I honestly don't know, not being sarcastic.

Ziggy was drafted in 2013, replacing Avril when he left for the Seahawks that year. Tate was picked up in 2014, and Abdullah was drafted in 2015.

Lions players from that period, however, include:

-2010 1st Round Pick Jahvid Best, who played a season and a half before taking a career-ending concussion.
-2011 2nd Round Pick Titus Young, who was a great #2 receiver until he started intentionally running the wrong routes because he thought he was better than Calvin Johnson and getting into fistfights in the locker room. Currently serving a prison sentence for armed robbery.
-Four receivers in 2012 who weren't Calvin Johnson, none of whom you've heard of and none of which are still in the league (Though Kris Durham is currently playing in the Italian football league, good for him)
-Long-running center Dominic "Good for a personal foul penalty right at the worst loving moment, every time" Raiola
-As mentioned, the decaying corpse of Kyle Vanden Bosch
-The constantly underperforming Nick Fairley, which in retrospect potentially makes more sense now considering his recently diagnosed debilitating heart condition

So, yeah. Not exactly some talent-infused teams right there, to put it lightly. And the only reason why they were ever competitive to begin with was because of Stafford, especially in the early years. The man had a bad habit of throwing picks, but man, he just did not give up on games, and still doesn't.

Is he worth $27 million a year? Debatable. Is he worth whatever price it takes to keep him on the Lions? Without loving question.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 16, 2017

• Locked thread