Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
To be fair, they're not in a position to win right now, and Cutler isn't going to make a difference in that with the time in his career remaining. If you're going to rebuild, bite the bullet and rebuild. Give some younger guy a chance to improve or prove himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Sataere posted:

I'm not a big fan of Tyrod. I think they are in a good position to grab a QB next year, which is a better time to get one.

Agreed, I think the worst move they can make is to jump on one early this year. The rest of the team isn't there yet, it'd be setting him up for failure.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

iospace posted:

So, who's looking forward to your 2017 Division Champs, Green Bay Packers? :getin:

We have a couple holes to plug before we can crown ourselves - even if the Bears are imploding and the Vikings not doing much, the Lions will be a legit threat again this year, as they did some work in FA.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

iospace posted:

Did we pick up any better secondary? Because good gods that always made me cry last year.

We got back House from the Jaguars, which will essentially fill the void left by Hyde leaving, which is to say, no we haven't improved the secondary yet.

We'll probably draft a CB within the first two rounds, given how deep the class is this year, but TT seems intent on letting the younger guys develop instead of bringing in veteran talent. We'll see how that pans out - Rollins looked ok before getting injured, Randall was too injured to tell how he's going to do, Gunter has flashes of brilliance but is not up to guarding another team's #1.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

T...t..t..Trubinsky??

nnnooo...

this was my spot....

it was made for me....

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Dexo posted:

I mean there is a way to defend it.

If you think this dude can be a top flight QB in the league then it's easily worth all the picks they gave up if they knew some other team was about to jump them.

Lynch: "Yeah. Pace buddy. Listen. There's a team on the line with us that wants to trade up. *muffled laughter in background* Seriously, they want YOUR GUY. *shhh*
Pace: "Really? They want our guy? drat, how much are they asking for it?"
Lynch: *clamping hand over mouthpiece (oh poo poo he might be buying this, did we have an amount?)
*background voice, clearly drunk (two...three three picks ahahahah)
Lynch: "Yeah, they're offering us three picks, good ones."
Pace: "We can match that, what kind of picks are we talking here?"
Lynch: *clamping hand over mouthpiece (oh gently caress he's totally in on this, quick what do we want)
*background voice (three fifths, am i right *giggles*)
*different background voice (dude we have five minutes left, how about a 4, 5 and 6?)
Lynch: (watch this poo poo) Ok, they're offering two fourths and a third, can you beat that? *winks and thumbs up
Pace: "Let me check with my... yeah, we can, how about two thirds and a fourth?"
Lynch: "Hmmmmmm... alright, you drive a hard bargain man. Glad that you can get your guy." *click
*background voice (who are they taking?)
Lynch: "I have no loving idea."

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Perpetually disappointed.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

We have a friend who is probably one of the only Vikings fans in a ~1800 mile radius - after we hosted a Xmas party and he got blackout drunk and passed out on our couch, we covered him in our Packers blanket and took a picture and posted it on Facebook, tagging him.

His friends were extremely pissed with him.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Soothing Vapors posted:

agreed, shame on you abugadu. why are you friends with a vikings fan

There are like 5% of people on this island that aren't bandwagon Steelers fans. I prefer Vikings fans to that.

Also it warms my dead heart to watch him agonize twice a year during the divisional games

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Yeah, and the opportunity cost of not being able to extend good players. And comp picks.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Even if you think Stafford is average, I think you have to keep him around if you want any prayer of attracting free agents without paying overinflated amounts for them. Plus, keeping people coming to games.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Flikken posted:

Stafford is not Average though, he has produced a lot pretty consistently throughout his career. He hasn't been below 4000 yards passing since 2010 and throws more touchdowns than turnovers. That is worth a lot in this league, if you have him you hold onto him until he becomes a liablity.

Oh I agree, I'm just saying that the Lions have p much no choice but to pay him a ton because of the situation.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

I'm p. sure that's a hoax you guys.

quote:

"That Gigantocervix is in fact extinct has been questioned by those who believe it survives as the Yeti of the Himalayas and the Sasquatch of the north-west American coast. But the evidence for these creatures is not convincing."

But the Gigantocervix's enormous neck-mass would have made it difficult for it to adopt a bipedal gait. It is far more likely that it would be a quadrupedal grazer, akin to Odocoileus virginianus or Giraffa camelopardalis.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Tomorrow, we have a chance to pull ahead in the all-time record for the Bears-Packers rivalry - for the first time since 1932.

Most of my childhood had the Bears demolishing the Packers, year in and year out. My bloodlust has not yet been satiated.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

weird Asian candy posted:

Same. I lived in the burbs and the only reason I hated the bears were because of the stereotypical Sitka worshipping meatheads and radio hosts.

Bearanof Island lol

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Fenrir posted:

I'd be 100% down with this

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

We have a decent amount of good players on the defense. Mike Daniels is amazing, Clay Matthews still is a force, Clinton-Dix is solid, as is Nick Perry, and Kenny Clark is coming along nicely. The problem is a combination of always being racked by injuries, which results in anywhere from 2-5 new players being thrown into the Dom Capers Scheme, which only seems to work with completely healthy players in even-numbered months if it's a leap year.

Just a gut punch, timing wise, as even if Hundley is good, the rest of the team is so banged up he has little chance to shine.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

I'm fine with cool celebrations for things like TDs or sacks or ints. The new group celebration thing has been great.

Doing a soup spoon thing like a toddler every time you get a five yard gain looks stupid.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Datone Jones cut by the Lions without playing a down for them.

You know, the guy TT took in 2013 one pick before DeAndre Hopkins went.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

I like King, I think he'll be fine. Randall may eventually pull his head out of his rear end. CB seems like the hardest spot to project as far as how they do, so many first round busts at the position.

I went through some of the 2013 draft threads, some gems in there - all the Chiefs fans making GBS threads on Kelce, all the Steelers fans making GBS threads on Bell, one Packers fan with a Lacy avatar all giddy that we didn't draft Lacy with the first round pick, the Vikings trading a fuckton to the Patriots to get Patterson, while the Patriots pass up on Keenan Allen to draft Dobson. Hindsight makes those threads incredible.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

There were a lot of Bills fans trying to justify and be happy with the EJ Manuel pick in the draft recap thread.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

It'd take him 3+ weeks to learn the offense, McCarthy is notoriously stubborn about having people who know the system, and we need to know for the future whether or not Hundley can play well. 2 weeks is not a legit sample size. Aaron Rodgers sucked for a decent while before getting to MVP status, you need to have reps against legit defenses to improve.

There is a 0.000000% chance we sign Kaepernick, and the vast majority of the reasons for that have nothing to do with racism. We don't do a read-option offense, we do timing routes with improv secondary reads that rely on long-term chemistry between qb and receiver. Even if Hundley went down, we'd go right to Callahan, because he has more experience in the offense.

In order to succeed w Kaep, you need an offense tailored to fit his skillset, and the GB offense is like the opposite of that. Our o-line can't block well enough for it, and we don't have big body receivers.

It's a total no-go, discussing it is ridiculous.

Besides, on the one in a million chance we did, the actual test to tell a True USA Patriotic Fan wouldn't be burning their worthless stock, it would be for them to give up their place in the season ticket line.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

We did one read-option play in the game for 8 yards. This is not a retooling of our offense.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Godspeed you! Black Unicorn

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

I'm happy for Agnew, him and Zach Banner get a decent amount of press out here for repping Guam and the CNMI. I think they got a picture together during the Lions/Browns game.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

Brett Hundley's scouting report:

:thunk:

that's his scouting report from yesterday, right?

right?

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

OxySnake posted:

DET v GB for 6th wild card?

:getin:

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Play posted:

I was watching some tape of the Vikings today trying to figure out why Keenum is looking so good (besides having a talented offensive roster around him, which is certainly the main reason).

My conclusion is his pocket sense (or whatever you call that, his ability to sense pressure and move without getting flustered and lowering his eyes) and the quickness with which he gets through progressions at the same time. He never stares down receivers, and he moves quickly from a first look that doesn't seem open. In the pocket, he almost never takes his eyes off downfield even when there is pressure all around. There was an interesting play against the Falcons where there was a man on the ground trying to grab at his feet. He just calmly stepped away, no further than he needed to, and dropped a dime downfield where he had his eyes the whole time. How did he even see that man on the ground, or know about the defender coming from directly behind him and throw it at the perfect time? I honestly have no idea. Good peripheral vision and an ability to take in lots of information is my best guess, but still, hard to see a man lying on the ground right near you with a football helmet on and your eyes downfield.

But that's my idea how a quarterback that doesn't have any extremely notable physical stats or skills is playing so dang well (in addition to a good receiver corps, offensive line, and a run game that must be respected, which obviously are things any QB would kill for).

He's had some standout games with other teams, but being on the Jeff Fisher Rams will make any QB look terrible. Glad to see he's escaped.

Whoever the Vikings o-line coach is deserves some major award, though. That line was straight trash two years ago, and now it seems like the one of the top lines in the league. I'm sure ditching Kalil helped a bit.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Yay to Rodgers being back, and yes Hester should be in the Hall as a returner, Jesus that guy flipped games single-handedly, not even counting the hundreds of times punts were adjusted to not go to him.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

And after this season that includes the Bears :smug:

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

VJeff posted:

Yeah well, that ain't gonna happen. That ship sailed when Rodgers became the God King of Hail Maries.

We did eat a Fail Mary, which, ironically, was launched by Wilson, who would have likely led us to Wisconsin's first national title game if it weren't for two Hail Marys in the same season that were successful.

The 'What Could Have Been' if JJ Watt stuck around for one more season....

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The injuries across the line have been ridiculous. I think there's literally only been 2-3 games this season where all the starters actually managed to start.

It kinda seems like every team has had to deal with that this year, though. OL seems more about depth than talent these days.

The Raiders were actually using Marshall Newhouse at LT in MNF, and I figured that was immediately game over.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Good Will Hrunting posted:

i need help figuring out why i keep posting here

We've had one or two down seasons in the last 25 years. You're in a thread with fans of 3 teams that have won a combined one Super Bowl between them, and have suffered far more horrific losses than any of our fluky poo poo like the Fail Mary, Seattle choke, SB against Denver, 4th and 26, the Jerry Rice non-fumble, or the 2011 postseason. For every one of those awful times they've had far worse. Yeah, we've missed out on some windows for greatness - we missed out on nabbing Randy Moss because TT was stupid about it, but in Alternate Universe, Favre sticks around until 2010 and we trade Rodgers for a bag of peanuts to some franchise that actually has a defense and goes on to steamroll everyone. We've let FA guys walk that become pro-bowlers. We have Dom Capers. poo poo happens.

If you're posting on a board with fans of other teams, and you're a fan of a team that has had constant success, complaining is going to be met by the Four Yorkshiremen-style takedowns. It happens to Pats fans, Steelers fans, etc. - it's a part of it. Part of all sports. Literally every division in the NFL has a team that hasn't won a Super Bowl. It's not like Wisconsinites can't do the same with other sports. gently caress, I do it all the time in baseball or basketball arguments. And we don't even have a pro hockey team. You know how easy and cathartic it is to go poo poo on a Cubs fan who's whining because they didn't win back-to-back world series, when the Brewers churn through their regular cycle of 'come close, fail, trade away talent, give you hope for next year with Young Development'? It's the same thing.

You know how awesome it would be to have people making GBS threads on Brewers posters complaining because our 5th consecutive WS title wasn't a sweep?

Let 'em taunt, let 'em give you poo poo - it means your team is actually doing something. It's when they get quiet that you know your team is in deep poo poo.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Soothing Vapors posted:

I've never understood why many Packer fans have this pathological need to be loved by all.

Because outside of football, Wisconsinites tend to be decent, fun people that are enjoyable to have around. There's a non-comprehension that fandom does something to that equation, and we inevitably take it as a personal affront.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Blotto Skorzany posted:

Looking at that chart, I'm struck by a thought: the Vikings are the Bills of the midwest. Makes u think

What’s worse is that those were all back in the 70’s, they’ve just been mediocre recently, with two excruciating playoff losses to keep them out of the SB in the few years that they likely would have won it all.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

I can't believe the Lions signed and played Don Barclay. You poor poor bastards.

Also, the Midwest is a great place to be from, but not necessarily to be. Good disc golfing tho.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Pettine is solid, he's been good when given good players on defense (Jets, Bills) and average to below average when given poo poo players (Browns). His last season with the Browns is mildly worrying, but I can't name a major defensive player on that unit outside of Haden.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Shangri-Law School posted:

Did Capers seriously not even do meaningless coachspeak right?

He did ok at it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cItEhRJdOZg

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Would have liked to snag Fangio, if only to set back the Bears again, but I'll take Pettine. Both are massive upgrades, so whatevs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

If you’re hanging around on gameday, post em. I occasionally need actual effort and insight from TFF to balance out the one or two gimmick shitposters.

• Locked thread