Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Niwrad posted:

It's not that I think they should have matched. I think they should have added the extra million to the tender so they would get a 2nd round pick in return when they lost him. Would it really be a big deal if the team paid him $2.9 million next year instead of $1.9 million? This isn't a team that's going to be right up against the cap. Seems worth the flyer for a 25-year old who looked pretty good when he played.

Remember that Ryan Pace paid Victor Cruz, a 30-year old who had an even worse knee injury than Meredith, $1.5 million to play some preseason games.

Victor Cruz didn't get paid though? He was cut before the season began....

And maybe they didn't think he was worth $3 million? I'm not sure I think he is. The second round tender ensures he's a Bear next year. The fact that it wasn't used tells you what they think of him.

I know it's just one million dollars, but that money can be put elsewhere.

I liked Meredith, but there are way better reasons to blast Pace for than this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Packer fans, I might have to talk about your team next week to preview the draft and I want to make sure that I know what I'm talking about.

I plan on saying something resembling the following. Tell me where I'm right and where I'm an idiot.

I think Calvin Ridley is a strong possibility with their first pick or one of the other top receivers. With Jordy gone, they are lacking in serious playmakers. Adams is their only difference maker. Cobb has been a JAG the past couple seasons.

I think outside of receiver, there is going to be a heavy focus on the defensive side of things. They will try to get Pettine players he wants. I suspect they will prioritize the front seven, because they have invested heavily in their secondary the past couple drafts.

I also suspect they will take advantage of the offensive line depth of this draft in the middle and later rounds, as they've always done a great job developing mid round picks.

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

This is great stuff. How much do you expect their draft tendencies to change with the new GM?

To play devils advocate about receivers, I'd argue you aren't as good at finding receivers as you were five years ago. Cobb was drafted in 2011. After that, you have the following:

Devante Adams - 2nd round
Ty Montgomery - 3rd round
Jared Arrederis - 5th round
Jeff Janis - 7th round
Trevor Davis - 5th round
Deangelo Yancy - 5th round
Malachi Dupre - 7th round

Adams is the only guy who is a game changer. Montgomery isn't a receiver anymore and Cobb is fine, but teams aren't scheming for him. Everyone else is a JAG or off your roster. And Adams you invested actual draft capital on.

I'd say you are set at ILB with Ryan and Martinez, but you definitely need edge rushers, even if you feel good about Perry / Matthews short term. Agree / Disagree? What do you think of the following fits for the Packers?

Leighton Vander Each - You said ideal
Tremaine Edwards - don't think he'll fall, but who knows. If he fell to 12 or 13, do you trade up?
Ogbonnia Okoronkwo
Josh Sweat

If Derwin James fell to 14, do you take him, even though you took Josh Jones last year. How do you feel about Josh Jones and Kevin King?

Finally, what are your thoughts on the D Line. I know Daniels is good, but what about Clark and Lowry? Is a guy like Vita Vea a possibility for a 3-4 end? Would that fit? Is it even necessary?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Ah, I totally blanked on them getting Wilkerson.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. This is a great help.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

mastershakeman posted:

hester is the best player all time at his position so not much to say about HOF credentials

Forte, though..
blargh trying again

got all of faulk's and martin's careers, not all of smith's (whatever). cutoffs of 1k rushing attempts, 10k yards from scrimmage

i dont think HOF for forte based on that (terrell davis had 8887 yards from scrimmage but the insane peak + titles)

he's basically Tiki barber with a lower yard per carry

Forte needed a few more years of high level production to have a chance. It also hurts that he was never the best player at his position in a given year. Was he ever an all-pro? My gut says no.

Hester should be, but probably won't because the NFL is dumb.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

It's hard not to get excited about the Bears draft.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

mastershakeman posted:

Bears showing that they absolutely don't believe in Grasu or White (which is good as far as white is concerned, Anthony Miller is the new Tyreek Evans)

I can't believe they didn't take Landry or Josh Jackson but I guess an inside linebacker is gonna fix the pass defense?

I think they are all in on rebuilding the offense this season. I really wanted Landry, but watching YouTube clips of Daniels, I get it.

I'm really hyped for Anthony Miller. From the limited clips I've seen, dude runs very good routes.

Get a couple secondary players and another edge rusher and I'll be pretty happy.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Pettine is really good. I am legitimately worried about your defense next year. I only take consolation in the fact that I think your offense is going to seriously miss Jordy and regress.

Or so I hope

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

R.D. Mangles posted:

anthony miller seems incredibly cool

Kedzie posted:

The changes made to the Bears offense in one offseason seem amazing on paper. Now it is up to Nagy and Trubisky to make it happen. I’m really excited at the potential. Bears desperately need pass rush, very desperately.

Pace is doing well in the draft the last couple of season, and hopefully it works out.

The Anthony Miller pick means they think they are a playoff team this year. They seem all in on this year.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Big Beef City posted:

Ahahahahahahahaha

I never said I thought they were right. :v:

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Cobalt Viper posted:

🤔

(I know you play teams other than just those in your own division, but the juxtaposition of all 4 of those headlines together in the article made me giggle)

Judging by the first three headlines, the answer to number four is "No!"

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Dexo posted:

At least it's better than

He bought his ooooown plane ticket

That was such a dumb talking point by the Bears.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Play posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if a dude who only played half the season could beat the cutler bears in yardage

I am surprised that Bortles put up such decent numbers though. I kinda figured him as an always-below-4k kind of qb

Don't mistake quantity for quality. He was a stat compiler when he got those numbers in 2015. I'm sure 75% of those numbers came in the 4th quarter when the team was down by 20.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

As long as he's signed in the next couple of days, I wouldn't worry about it. When is the last time the Bears had a hold out? They usually take care of this stuff quickly.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Acebuckeye13 posted:

https://twitter.com/sportstori/status/1023559646076907521

I have a sudden suspicion as to why tackling was so bad under Caldwell

How can this be the first time I'm hearing of this? And somehow, we are supposed to respect that coaches and front offices know what they are doing because it's their job.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Acebuckeye13 posted:

IIRC part of Caldwell's coaching philosophy was not to ride players exceptionally hard in practice, in order to prevent injuries and keep players fresh for games. And from a certain perspective that makes sense... but Jesus Christ no wonder our guys couldn't make goddamn tackles.

I'm mean, it's not an either/or scenario. Maybe like one tackling session before a game would be a good idea.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I just want to take back any benefit of the doubt I was giving the Bears. On the radio, they were discussing the offset language on the contracts and holy gently caress.

If Roquon Smith is fined by the NFL, his guaranteed money can be voided.

If Roquon Smith says anything bad about the team, his guaranteed money can be voided.

If something the team hasn't thought of occurs that is considered negative towards the team and is done by Roquon Smith, his guaranteed money can be voided.

What is really insane to me is this is a league-wide thing. Most rookie players don't think twice about signing poo poo like that.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

mastershakeman posted:

Seriously? Good for Smith for not signing that bullshit . There's a real chance he never gets another contract playing this insane bloodsport, make sure that money is guarantee

Yeah, pretty sure the agent is leaking that to ensure Smith doesn't look bad.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

American McGay posted:

Every other fumble out of bounds ends up going to the team that last possessed the ball. Having the end zone suddenly behave the exact opposite is weird.

Also it's not even consistent with both end zones. If the offense fumbles out of their own end zone it's a safety. It's madness I tell you.

On the one hand, this rule is stupid. On the other hand, I'm sure it contributed to John Fox getting fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

blackmongoose posted:

All loose balls out of bounds should be turnovers like in rugby, including the defense having to chuck it in from the sidelines to guys being lifted up by their teammates

This guy gets it.

• Locked thread