Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

mastershakeman posted:

wow a volume qb watch out everyone

It's still impressive what he's done. Many of the QBs starting in this league would totally fold under those conditions; not having a run game and getting pressure in your face constantly doesn't automatically increase passing yards, often it does the opposite actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Niwrad posted:

So what do Bears fans think of Mitch so far? Seems hard to judge because he has no receivers and Patton Oswalt calling plays. He makes the occasional eye-opening play but he did seem to miss some easy passes in that game too.

I'm not a Bears fan per se but I'll answer anyways: mediocre.

I can't say that he won't get better because he's so young. But I haven't seen anything that gets me too excited.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Norse Code posted:

I wish there were more choices for womens color rush Vikings jerseys, I want a Thielen or Diggs jersey but all they have is Smith and Bridgewater. :sigh:

I love Thielen's signature move. Just come back on a dig route and instead of cutting directly upfield make a small half circle turn and boom touchdown

Boon posted:

Checking in to say that pee troughs are pretty sweet as long as they're designed to drain and you don't get splashback.

I'm someone who will use the middle urinal though

I'm guessing this is your way of trying to claim that you have a big penis

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I was watching some tape of the Vikings today trying to figure out why Keenum is looking so good (besides having a talented offensive roster around him, which is certainly the main reason).

My conclusion is his pocket sense (or whatever you call that, his ability to sense pressure and move without getting flustered and lowering his eyes) and the quickness with which he gets through progressions at the same time. He never stares down receivers, and he moves quickly from a first look that doesn't seem open. In the pocket, he almost never takes his eyes off downfield even when there is pressure all around. There was an interesting play against the Falcons where there was a man on the ground trying to grab at his feet. He just calmly stepped away, no further than he needed to, and dropped a dime downfield where he had his eyes the whole time. How did he even see that man on the ground, or know about the defender coming from directly behind him and throw it at the perfect time? I honestly have no idea. Good peripheral vision and an ability to take in lots of information is my best guess, but still, hard to see a man lying on the ground right near you with a football helmet on and your eyes downfield.

But that's my idea how a quarterback that doesn't have any extremely notable physical stats or skills is playing so dang well (in addition to a good receiver corps, offensive line, and a run game that must be respected, which obviously are things any QB would kill for).

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Abugadu posted:

He's had some standout games with other teams, but being on the Jeff Fisher Rams will make any QB look terrible. Glad to see he's escaped.

Whoever the Vikings o-line coach is deserves some major award, though. That line was straight trash two years ago, and now it seems like the one of the top lines in the league. I'm sure ditching Kalil helped a bit.

I believe it's Tony Sporano (which of course I always read as Tony Soprano). Apparently he begged Zimmer in the off-season to allot some resources to the O-line, and the primary result of that was the free-agent acquisitions Mike Remmers and Riley Reiff at right and left tackle, positions that are so so crucial to the run game.

They're not an absolutely dominant line, but they seem to definitely hold their own against almost any defense. An offensive line is a delicate thing though and can fall apart fast. Lose a few players to injuries, or just have a bad run and all the sudden your quarterback has to scramble every play and gets creamed half the time, open receivers aren't hit, your runners are getting stuffed and the entire team hates you. Hopefully they can keep that up, I'm not a Vikings fan per se but I like the way they're playing and hope they can keep it going.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

WHOOPS posted:

what’s funny is Reiff and Remmers we’re both plan B for lineman. The Vikings did try to re-sign Kalil and went hard for Ricky Wagner before losing out to Detroit. Surprising how well it’s worked out, though Remmers has missed nearly 5 straight games. he was playing really well up till then.

Yeah, sometimes poo poo like that just works out well, but there's always someone on the other side who ends up getting hosed.

Real crazy that Thielen went undrafted and Diggs was a 5th round pick. That allowed them to load up on other positions and it has paid off big time. Minnesota is now one of the few I consider must-watch teams. I think it was their game against the Redskins that really turned me on to them with Keenum in the QB slot, then the follow-up against the Rams. I find myself rooting for Keenum: he doesn't have the arm or the accuracy of Bradford, and I honestly don't know how he compares to Bridgewater (if someone could tell me that'd be rad). I'd love for him to find a place on this winning team and take them to the superbowl. IMO that's the kind of awesome story the NFL should be all about.

Play fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Dec 5, 2017

Play
Apr 25, 2006

oshuaj posted:

run the drat table

against the Panthers, Vikings, and Lions? That is going to be a serious challenge. We'll have to see how Rodgers looks back, but even if he's on his game at least two of those teams will put up a hell of a fight.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

rabidsquid posted:

the mic'd up for that play is legit i think my favorite football thing i've ever watched

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rvIwyikbRU

Holy poo poo, that was fantastic.

*While lying prone on the ground*

"Hey that's a timeout right I can play, right? Give me the ball"

(everyone else): No no no no

"YEAH, give me- get the gently caress- hey help me up"

(coaching staff looking around doubtfully at each other, MS pushed his way through them onto the field, left hand hanging completely limp at his side)

I'd never seen that before, that was something else. Reminds me of the nasty old days of players routinely playing through horrible injuries.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Apropos of mic'd up and this thread, this Brett Favre one had me laughing pretty drat hard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxfnWLRGka0

Play
Apr 25, 2006

SD87 posted:

gently caress the god drat vikings. Great finish against the saints but now we get the nick foles lead eagles against the patriots. Brees would have beat the eagles because he is loving brees and not poo poo rear end keenum and then we would have had two hall of fame qbs in the super bowl but instead we get this loving bullshit of game. Vikings should have just loving lost that game but because of their stupid meaningless miracle play which lead to nothing in the end except all of us having to watch a lovely super bowl matchup. The nfc loving gift wrapped this one to the pats this year

I felt like this as well, I thought the Saints were the best chance for the NFC, but this is pretty funny in retrospect. It's pretty clear at this point that the Eagles were probably the only team that could've beaten the Pats. Thank god the Vikings got knocked out, they would've been absolutely steamrolled.

I'm worried about Matt Patricia as head coach. Not just from the super bowl performance for a defense that has been neglected in terms of management, I just don't know what he really brings to the table that wasn't there before.

And I really don't think Cousins will go to the Vikings, to me Denver or Arizona makes a lot more sense. If I was the Vikings I think I'd keep Bradford in front and Keenum as a backup that can actually win, unless Keenum is dead set on getting a starting job somewhere which I couldn't blame him for. I would release Bridgewater, I think he's going to be a big disappointment whenever and wherever he comes back.

I think the Bears have a good chance to have a decent season next year. If they can fill some holes effectively and Trubisky's play elevates in that way sophomore QBs often do. Lions will stay about the same, maybe get a wildcard or maybe miss out. Vikings could be a strong team next year, but the Packers are looking really bad. They've been leaning so goddamn hard on Rodgers but they're just way, way too weak in too many areas.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Matt Forte is the second-leading rusher in Bears history behind Walter Payton, which is a serious honor. I heard something on the ATN podcast that Forte has the most yards from scrimmage of any running back during the exact seasons he was in the league, beating out some big names in the process. Hell, he had some amazing runs for the Jets just this past season. It's cool to see a guy succeed on that level for such a long time and then bow out right at the perfect time. Good job my man

Play
Apr 25, 2006

surf rock posted:

WHAT THE gently caress

lol

Pops Mgee posted:

It’s ok we got the only qb that was worse than Hundley :shepicide:

Wrong, at the very least he's still quite a bit better than Hundley.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

So... what do we do with Hundley? Cut him? Trade him? We don't really have the roster space to keep 3 QBs and I don't think he's eligible for practice squad.

Kill him and dump his corpse in the bay? Just spitballin here

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Cousins to Vikings, Keenum to Broncos, Bradford to Cardinals. Wonder if Bridgewater is going to the Bills.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

schweens posted:

Nothing. While the Bears, Lions, and Vikings are out here making solid* moves.

*The Vikings are terrifying now

So far Green Bay has traded a way a starter-quality CB and... pretty much nothing else iirc. Not super encouraging for a team that really needs work in several areas.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Pops Mgee posted:

Future Patriot no doubt.

Yeah Amendola is gone so they're looking a little light at the Caucasian super soldier position

Play
Apr 25, 2006

they could've at least gone all out with "YOU VIKE DAT??"

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Bears a big winner imo from this free agency. We know that Allen Robinson can be amazingly good, Trey Burton seems like a solid tight end. Now you have to hope that Trubisky only looked mediocre because he had a bad receiver corps and not because he's mediocre.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Well it is a really nice building

Play
Apr 25, 2006

NotWearingPants posted:

The Vikings get to be a part of history as the Eagles raise their Super Bowl banner

https://twitter.com/JimmyKempski/status/975721272373121025

That's gonna be a great loving game. Good start to the season whichever way it goes.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Apex Rogers posted:

As a Lion's fan, I do not relish the fact that our coach apparently takes style pointers from Kevin Smith.

I'm pretty sure that IS kevin smith, man.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

he just deleted every picture on his instagram that had Bears stuff in it

what the gently caress is going on

a spooooooooookyyyy cuuuurrrrsssse

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Trubs looked just fine for a rookie QB on a not-very-good team. At least the Bears have the comfort of knowing that they've got a guy there and now they can focus on actually being good.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Deki posted:

I mean honestly if you cherry-pick individual plays couldn't you make any quarterback look good?

I think the main point is most of those passes were dropped or disallowed and it wasn't Trubs' fault. So his QBR, passer rating, yards passing etc. were dragged down hard by his poo poo receiver corps. It's a reasonable point imo, I think Bears fans should be happy to have what appears to be a competent but still a little fresh QB. On his rookie contract this should allow them to build around him quickly. I still don't think the Bears have a good chance in the NFC North this next season which is going to be one of the most difficult divisions in football, but to me this looks like the start of something promising.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

overnightmike posted:

I do a Packers podcast that y'all might enjoy. It's called Cheeseheads in Chicagoland, and we're on iTunes and all the other things!

We'll be sporadic through the summer and then weekly during the preseason and season. It's about 60/40 a football talk to nonsense ratio.

We're ironing out how it all works but I think we have all the tools needed to occasionally occupy your morning commute or jog.

This year begins the Marwin Evans era.

https://anchor.fm/cheeseheads/episodes/Episode-2-e1cbk8

That's cool man! I've been thinking about starting a little film review video series during next season. It's fun to make things, I'll have to check it out.

fake e: not on Google Play? That's too bad

Play
Apr 25, 2006

That Lions pick actually seems like the only non-reach o line pick in the first round besides Quenton Nelson. Besides, they need to resurrect that run game so so bad and the only way to do that is improve the offensive line. It's not sexy but to me it seems pretty solid

Play
Apr 25, 2006

heh... nice

If you guys have a bit of time to waste you can go to youtube and see the little video segments. I think they've only released 100-85 or something like that but the rest will come out shortly. I've been really interested to see who gets on this list and I'm already triggered hard by JJ Watt making it after he only played five games

Play
Apr 25, 2006

The holding is ridiculous these days. If you actually keep your eye on the rushers there's holding nearly every passing down. But the officials don't want to stop the game for anything but the most flagrant and obvious holds, which I guess I understand. If the officials won't call it over and over then in reality it's not really holding even if the rules haven't technically changed

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Leon Einstein posted:

Eh, it really can't be much worse than last year.

Yeah I agree with this, it's worth a try. That defense was a loving travesty last year especially on third down and obviously the management and coaching wasn't getting it done

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

oh hey look at that, Carlos is being an idiot again

https://twitter.com/freep/status/1005110923097325568?s=19

If running is a valid form of punishment this tubby little gang rapist owes us twenty laps... around the world

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I wouldn't be surprised if a dude who only played half the season could beat the cutler bears in yardage

I am surprised that Bortles put up such decent numbers though. I kinda figured him as an always-below-4k kind of qb

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Sataere posted:

Don't mistake quantity for quality. He was a stat compiler when he got those numbers in 2015. I'm sure 75% of those numbers came in the 4th quarter when the team was down by 20.

True, and he was also throwing to Allen Robinson as WR1 who cleaned up his messes by catching everything. Robinson did the same thing for Christian Hackenberg and may even be to blame for making people think Hack was draftable.

To bring it back around to the NFC North, I'm really excited to see what Robinson can do in Chicago. If he can get back in to form just him alone would make a big difference to that team, not to mention all the other FAs and draftees. It'll be interesting to see how this whole Trubs thing goes, especially with some actually good receivers and a new head coach.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

It's Barr I'm pretty sure. His situation just makes him more attractive to cut, especially in comparison to Kendricks. Anyways Danielle (you'll never convince me that it's pronouned Duh-neel, clearly Dan-yell) is clearly approaching baller pass rush status so he's a total keeper

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Mike Daniels was absolutely the highlight on those top 100 videos. Charismatic and hilarious where other dudes came across as boring or tryhardy. Rad dude

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Say what you will but Jay had it figured out. I think he accurately had himself pegged as a mediocre quarterback from the start, decided there's no point in pushing himself too hard in that case, and just went along for the ride making really a lot of money along the way. Never got an ACL tear or anything because you need to actually put in a lot of effort to tear your ligaments.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Thaddius the Large posted:

Hell, I think it’s why their marriage works, she’s a goddamn loon and he’s too apathetic to be bothered by it, yin and yang.

Yeah this dynamic really works wonderfully sometimes. Usually its the husband who is hella checked out and barely even notices what's going on around him.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

So if you don't know the Lions Twitter account regularly posts videos of them loving with the players and it's great.

https://twitter.com/Lions/status/1017404402116673542?s=19

That part where they all guessed "hermit crab" was hilarious

Play
Apr 25, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

The bears are such a piece of poo poo franchise for almost assuredly pulling offset language garbage with roquan

Way to just say wow we have no idea how to value or develop talent so make it easy for us to get rid of you

I don't understand what happened there, what is "offset language"?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Got it. If I was Roquan, their first round pick (right?) I would also say no to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Why the heck wasn't that a tickle me elmo? So it moves and poo poo and totally scares them. Lost opportunity :colbert:

• Locked thread