Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Dug out my cards and I'm planning to play a two player game in the near future. I don't remember any of the deckbuilding strategies, so I might just go with the suggested decks in the rulebooks. At least for our first game, and then redo the decks once we're familiar with the mechanics and replay the first "your house" scenario.

I have a couple of the expansions, but is it better to stick with the core set cards and investigators for the core set scenarios?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Is there a recommended build for two decks built out of two core sets to tackle the core campaign co-op?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
My fiance and I have been playing Marvel Champions, and I showed her the Shut Up & Sit Down review of this game and now she wants to try it even though I told her it's much less forgiving. She wants to play as Daisy. I'd want to play as Agnes because I loved her mechanics when I was playing the core set a bunch in 2016, but obviously there's some overlap in the Mystic cards. Is that enough of a problem that I should try Wendy instead? The only Mystic cards I have in her deck are 2x each of Scrying and the treachery counterspell for 1 horror, whatever it's called, but those are cards I'd want in Agnes's deck. Just from looking over the core set cards, Mystics really care about Mystic cards more than any other class cares about their own. I have two core sets but I forgot how dumb it was that they only gave you one copy of most cards.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Got back into this game. I forgot how it makes you hesitant to draw cards from your own deck! I lost my tokens, but colored dice and the app do the trick. I have 2x core sets, and my Wendy deck was doing well... until The Devourer Below. That's a lot of combat without some of the tricks I've read about with future sets. I keep dying in the second or third round. I don't recall having this much trouble with Agnes years ago. Genius game design though and I'm glad it's still going strong. Catching up on it is going to be a lot of money.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
My friend bought me the first three packs (minus the big box, which I had from back in the day) for Dunwich Legacy, and they're arriving tomorrow! The other three packs are out of stock everywhere, but I'm going to start with the sets I have. Forget trying to solo Devourer Below.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Stickman posted:

When you get to them, it looks like the other three packs are currently available from various online retailers (in the US, at least). When I was trying to fill out cycles, I had the best luck using Google's shopping searches - they do a pretty good job of catching items when they become available!

The other cycle I'm interested in is the Dream-Eaters one (because I love The Cats of Ulthar) and a similar thing is happening there - the first few are available, then it dries up, and the last pack is readily available. I'll check there and the Facebook group that alansmithee mentioned.

I'm halfway through Dunwich and I'm impressed with how flavorful this game gets just by using the same mechanics over and over. The train one was really cool. After I get more comfortable I think I'm going to play two-handed, or maybe convince my fiance that this game is way less time-intensive than Gloomhaven.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Just finished The Dunwich Legacy and drat, even with Wendy's redraw, the chaos bag is evil. I'm really confused though, how am I supposed to get Resolution 2? I finished it via R1 by making it to the end of the maze of dimensions and resigning in act 4, thinking I'd won... but then I looked at the leaflet and saw there's a better ending if every investigator is defeated in act 4? Do I have to reach act 4 and then wait around for something to kill me? Help.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Omnicrom posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by R2 being a better ending, in that ending the PCs close the rift and save the world but never make it home. R1 is meant to be the best ending in so far as is the one you get for completing the Act deck.

Oh you're right, I misread something. Thanks!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Lots of packs are back in stock at Asmodee's store and Boardlandia. I finally got the full Dream-Eaters cycle.

The more I play, the more I appreciate the taboo list. On my second go-around for Dunwich, I bought Higher Education, but from now on I'm going with the taboos. It's funny how almost all the cards on the list are from the core set and Dunwich. Guess they got the balance right after the first cycle?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I tried two-handed solo last night and it was pretty smooth, even with a post-Pfizer#2 fever I didn't get confused. I had to double-check a whole bunch of rules though, because things like enemy engagement, turn order, etc. suddenly matter when there's more than one character involved. I'm debating going two-handed for Dream-Eaters because I heard the ending scenarios of both A and B are impossible for true solo, though I'll have to remember to swap cards around between decks.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Murder at the Excelsior Hotel was awesome. Aside from the nitpick where I don't like encounters with cards that shuffle things into your deck (hold on, let me dig out an extra sleeve that matches...), it was a lot of fun, and I want to replay it to see the other encounter sets. No spoilers, but it was pretty obvious to guess which locations I needed to visit to trigger the end game.

I also bought Jaqueline Fine and the Dark Revelations novella that has alternate Gloria. I thought I'd use the cards in the Jaqueline deck to make a good Gloria deck, but the opposite happened. I only have the core, Dunwich, and Dream-Eaters cycles, but I feel like there aren't enough cards in the game to reliably make use of Gloria's ability, where-as there are tons of opportunities to use Jaqueline's. With Jaqueline plus a token manipulation deck there's so many things in her deck and every encounter deck that have the opportunity to be at worst guaranteed successes and at most total blow-outs. Meanwhile if Gloria doesn't draw Alyssa Graham, her text box might as well be blank. I started Excelsior Hotel with her three times, each time using a mulligan, and didn't see Alyssa. I didn't make it very far.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'm reading Dream-Quest to prepare for Dream-Eaters and it's insane, pun intended. It reads like Lovecraft fan-fiction, but he wrote it himself? All his OCs are in there! Game Master Howard.

I think I've settled on Wendy + Zoey for side A, and Jacqueline + Daisy for B. It was tough to choose between Daisy and Mandy, but I looked through my collection and realized how I had almost no deck-searching cards in my collection. I have core, Dunwich, and Dream-Eaters, I guess most of what makes Mandy work is in the cycles between? Can't depend entirely on Old Book of Lore.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

alansmithee posted:

Mr. Rook is the big card you're missing for Mandy, but other key cards are Practice Makes Perfect and Eureka, both of which you should have. And yeah, Mandy's in the running for best investigator for sure (although I think Rex still has a say).

Eureka is in The Pallid Mask.

Dream-Eaters 1A is the most evil thing Arkham Horror has done. Spoilers for "stay on the path": So I stayed on the path, thinking that would pay off in the end. I had Wendy and Zoey. Zoey would murder anything that came close, often spending three actions to put a clue on the main path. Wendy had Leo, so she could have a real good chance of investigating even at 8 shroud. Or 10 sometimes due to treacheries - I pulled the elder sign with Wendy's Amulet many times, and after almost three hours total I finally got up to ten clues with I think sixteen doom on the agenda. While putting the cards away, I noticed that each location had 2 XP on it, so I looked it up: there's no payoff for staying on the path, I just got one XP instead of 12-13!

It was my first time playing a blue character and I found out that two of my Burger Tokens (the +1 and a tablet thingy) got trapped inside the inner lining of my chaos bag, so I decided it was time to reroll and try again.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Jacqueline + Daisy crushed Dream-Eaters B-side, but Wendy + Zoey couldn't handle Where the Gods Dwell if I stacked their decks beforehand. When I built Wendy, I was too used to true solo, so I was building her as the usual jack-of-all-trades. Too many Hunter enemies and enemies that caused problems if they stuck around even if evaded. She can throw a lot of tries at 5 shroud locations in true solo, but she needs help when there's multiple clues on them. I'd never played blue before, but thought Zoey would have a good economy with all the swarms. I was right, she was drowning in cash for every scenario except the final one, which has no swarms. I realized too late that I needed heavy damage weapons, because I was running out of ammo on my .45s against the stacked chaos bag. I'd cut Machetes because they weren't good against swarms, and didn't have Bandolier because I'll just draw the weapons when I need them, right?

I'm going to run A again with different characters (or a better-built Zoey + a clue finder) and keep my B campaign as reference for plot points.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

John Romero posted:

played my first game last night, went insane as soon as I left the hallway, game rules

This game has a steep learning curve, but it's super fun. I still don't know all the times I'm allowed to play ~ abilities, aka "player windows", which I'm about to find out because I might play Luke and knowing exactly when I can frig off to my dream dimension is going to come in handy. Weird rules interactions come up all the time, like tonight I had to look up whether attack of opportunities hit me after I pay the cost for a non-evade/parley/fight action or after it resolves. It's after the cost is paid, but before the effect happens, so my investigator couldn't go out in a blaze of glory investigating for that last clue.

I played The Circle Undone's prologue tonight. It was annoying to set up - if you don't know, you get neutral investigators and have to start with some mostly-core-set cards in play or in hand. I almost printed the cards out from Arkhamdb instead of pulling them out of my collection. But it was really fun to play a scenario where I knew I was doomed from the start. I can't wait to see how my failure affects the rest of the campaign.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
There's two parts I like about Arkham Horror: one is the part where I'm discovering things for the first time. I might read some general tips on the campaign before I start, for example "make sure your intellect skill is high for this campaign" or "these maps are pretty huge, bring movement tricks" but I like leaving most things unknown. Usually my decks are a drat mess by the final scenario, because I might be trying new things with new investigators and I have wasted a lot of XP somewhere. The final scenarios so far haven't rewarded fun builds, they demand very good decks or else I'm stuck reading a bad ending again.

The other part is where I replay the campaign again knowing what to expect, and... not demolishing it, but having a much easier time. I two-handed Dream-Eaters A and B as a full campaign, and managed to win B easily the first time through, but failed at the A part. That one's well-known for not being accommodating to lower player counts. But Gloria smashed it. I kind of regret bringing Zoey again, because while she's good against swarms, anyone can pack Storm of Spirits or Grenades, and as mono-Guardian I had trouble spending her influx of cash. Plus, there are no swarms in the final A scenario, so getting an extra resource for drawing a 4-health enemy is not rewarding at all. She was a meat shield and a bug zapper with her Lightning Gun, but any blue idiot could have done that.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Golden Bee posted:

The chef is an amazing partner to mystics. She can take “let me see that“ from rogue, and be a secondary spellcaster/cluever.

I know what card you mean, the one that lets you play something from someone else's hand? "You Owe Me One"? I can see that, mystics sometimes get assets stuck in their hand.

GreenMarine posted:

I have an almost complete collection of this game, but lack most of Path to Carcosa. Looking on Ebay, these packs are pretty pricey. Do they ever reprint old adventure packs?

I want Carcosa next, but it's been out of stock for a while. It will get reprinted sooner or later, COVID delays are making it hard to even get the latest expansion out. I might just have to settle for The Forgotten Age since that one's fully in stock, even though its theme is the least exciting to me out of the ones I'm missing: Carcosa, Forgotten Age, and Innsmouth.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

jeeves posted:

I need to sit down and redo my organization for this game as poo poo is so disorganized it keeps me from wanting to play the game. Anyone else have this problem?

My organization is pretty simple and low effort:

Each campaign's cards are in one of those BCW white boxes, I think 500 or 600 count? I'd use the Return To boxes if I had them. Locations and act/agenda in clear sleeves, encounter cards in black matte Dragon Shields, cards that never get shuffled into anywhere (bosses, scenario assets) in another color. When I play a campaign, the cards get all disorganized because they get reused in different scenarios so much, but at least they're all in one box.

Core set scenario cards that get used often are stored in another box to pull out when I need them.

I have player cards organized by class, in one box each. I can't keep them organized because I like to visually see the cards when I build, meaning everything's going to be a mess the first time I attempt to theorycraft a new deck. I might change to a box for level 0 cards and a box for cards that cost experience for each class, because I now have too many to fit into a standard-size deckbox.

All the character cards are in a small deckbox, and there's another one for the character unique cards and one for basic weaknesses. I've been meaning to get a small four-per-page binder for these things.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
The starter deck investigators are great for learning deckbuilding because their themes are obvious and they're all mono-class. I'd pick a truly random basic weakness when playing them though, the ones they come with are way too specifically tuned to antagonize them.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
There's an image floating around on r/arkhamhorrorlcg of what looks like a revised core set. Nothing major looks to be updated if we can trust the probably-not-final mockup, but it has updated art for some of the cards as well as larger updated tokens. My hunch is that it'll have a slightly higher cost and include full playsets of everything to be more in line with their new product model.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Golden Bee posted:

New Roland adventure dropped. Parallel Roland looks like he has a lot of the same stuff Lily is going to have. But not getting the big heavy guardian weapons means having a heavy deck of level two and three tactics, which is interesting.

https://twitter.com/FFGames/status/1405964236015247367?s=19

I've thought about running Pagnes a few times, but I worked with Sefina or Diana instead; it's a similar play style. Proland actually has more restrictions on deckbuilding than it seems, like you get Elusive and that might be it as far as good off-class cards. My favorite permanent is his extra ally slot. Don't need to assign them damage if you can roll with two Beat Cops. You can activate level 2 Beat Cops still, right? "Assigning" damage just counts for when you're dealt damage?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

jeeves posted:

I splurged on Aurbits Chaos tokens + new coin capsules that arn't amazon bargain poo poo. I'll give a trip report soon.

I don't even want to think about how much more money I've spent on this game (TC boards and tokens, binders, and now aurbits!) than the actual expansions!

I love my Burger Tokens. I have Keyforge ones I can repurpose as curse/bless/snow if I need to, also.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Been theorycrafting good pairings to do two-handed solo. I think I'm going to try Dunwich again with Sefina and P-Roland. They both can find clues and fight, and I'm liking P-Roland's ability to play Practice Makes Perfect and find a fight or investigate skill. Except he can't play Deduction, which sucks. For directives I'm thinking: Due Diligence (and flip it if I ever lock in combat with something that has over 4 HP), Leave No Doubt (+3 sanity for not moving more than twice means I can potentially tank one or two Cover Up trauma and be fine), and Consult Experts (I'll likely have to add horror soak, but he can get along fine with not putting damage on allies).

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Golden Bee posted:

Don’t forget to pack the car that lets you re-shuffle your deck as Sef, maybe even two copies. She has two reasons to avoid milling her deck in Dunwich.

Personally, I think parallel Roland front, regular back would be a pretty good combo. Beefy guardian weapons pay off in almost every scenario (and for the one they don’t, mind blank does the rest.)

Good call, I forgot to add that. My deck is mostly events with a few assets, and I'll need to get the permanent that gives me an extra accessory slot so I can have both Holy Rosary and Crystallizer of Dreams. Tarot Card Sefina is something I really want to try in Return to TCU when I get it.

I was going to do that with Roland, but I think I underestimate big weapons. But with Sefina and Roland both being able to deal damage reliably, maybe I don't need BFGs?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Jarvisi posted:

So uh. What's the best way to find out when ffg restocks? I need to finish carcosa

Check stackhamhorror.com and their official Discord: https://discord.gg/Rsfr9zm7Xj It seems a bunch of Canadian stores have been getting Carcosa packs in stock, and shipping is about the cost of another pack, so it's not terrible. The fact that they're arriving in Canada must mean they're getting held up somewhere in the supply chain, so maybe they'll be in the US soon.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Is Wendy supposed to be an actual young kid? It's never mentioned exactly, I figured she was an older homeless teenager at minimum... who, uh... owns a multi-level house in the nice part of town, with a fully furnished study. And sometimes her uncle Leo or the local college football star comes over to hang out.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I don't know why they haven't done the obvious with Elusive, which is to make it only playable if you're engaged with an enemy. It wouldn't be the best teleport, it'd be the best anti-enemy panic button. Maybe make those enemies lose hunter for a turn also so it's a bit better and doesn't compete with Think On Your Feet for design space.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I bought some singles at https://borntoplaygames.crystalcommerce.com/ and they arrived within the week. But for the core set, there are so many good cards that you'd want a second copy of that I'd recommend just buying a second core for the going rate of just under $30 and selling off the extra encounter cards.

By the way, I've wound up with a second copy of The Unspeakable Oath because I ordered two by accident. It'd be a pain to return it to 401 Games in Canada (I'm in the US), so if anyone is willing to trade for Return to Night of the Zealot or Heart of the Elders, let me know!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I finally finished Path to Carcosa, and immediately ordered The King in Yellow. I've only read the first short story, The Repairer of Reputations, but it was extremely good. One of the best unreliable narrator things I've ever read, and now I get the "wait, how much of this is real? Some of it was, right? ...right?" vibe in Path to Carcosa. I couldn't put it down. The campaign was excellent, also, and since I ended up almost full Conviction, I'm trying it again going full Doubt.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Would anyone happen to have a spare set of core set chaos tokens? It's the one thing I threw out when I stopped playing years ago. I've been using Burger Tokens, but I've started to notice they're not all the same puffiness so it's easy to tell, even without consciously trying, which token I'm going to pull.

I also have an extra sealed copy of The Unspeakable Oath, and if anyone wants it, I'll ship it in exchange for you ordering me any piece of TFA or Innsmouth that I'm missing.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
We should add resources in the new OP, too, like these guys called PlayingBoardGames:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxBEgigw3QtaPubwPBd4wXw

They do top X lists, deckbuilds, playthroughs, etc. Some of their videos got me considering cards I never thought of for deck builds, like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=129qIPAuw84

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
The first scenario of Forgotten Age was a rough start, but I think part of that was me attempting to play Sefina again. I can't handle playing her, don't know why. I was having fun with Ursula and Diana until The Boundary Beyond, which is very anti-Ursula. I actually might try this all again with Trish instead of Ursula. She's only 2 willpower, but she gets to actually play fun green cards unlike Ursula's mono-yellow. Ursula's one free investigate a turn, maybe, most of the time, isn't as fun as I thought it would be.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

jeeves posted:

You can go full bling and buy Dex Protection 9 or 12
Pocket binders, they have all investigator colors including the ever elusive yellow without being crappy floppy cover style binders like ultra pro. I personally like binders that have built in pages instead of d-rings, but of course they make it harder to sort. (I’m procrastinating on this upgrade because I need to decide if I wanna insanely future proof with 12 pocket instead of 9)

6 one inch binders are the way to go, one for each class and one for neutrals. Leave all of the encounter cards in the return to boxes.

Other ways to bling out your game: def get a chaos token bag. Then coin capsules for them- get really nice feeling OnFireGuy ones instead of cheap as poo poo feeling ones of Amazon.

Then print out round investigator mini token cards to put inside similar coin capsules as well. Really more handy than the lame player cards.

Edit - it’s crazy for me to realize how much I’ve spent blinging out my game for the last 5 years, esp when Netrunner is my actual true love card game :P

What size coin capsules from OnFireGuy?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Just beat Shattered Aeons! It turned out I made every bad decision leading up to it aside from stacking vegeance (pretty sure I had three Yig's Fury). If you go into it knowing to expect that not every investigator is going to have a good time with agility tests, it's a lot of fun.

I immediately want to try it again because there's a lot of narrative choices. I've now played every campaign except Innsmouth, and this is the only odne where not getting 100% XP and the best resolution feels perfectly fine in most scenarios. I would love more "get in, do as much as you can, and get out" type scenarios, but I think the poor reception to TFA made FFG reconsider going down that route. From what I'm reading on player reception when it came out, players didn't like that the exploration deck was so random (understandable), the supplies varying in usefulness (I picked the ones that seemed generally useful in a jungle and I ended up fine), and the amount of trauma. But it hands out XP like candy, which I think is the reason TFA seems immediately replayable while other campaigns don't without a break between or a Return To: I only got three out of a possible seven in one scenario, and I know I did all I could, my greed for XP even nearly costing me as I escaped with a trail of snakes on my tail.

As I said before, I played Ursula and Diana. Diana ended up being a counterspell bot and Cultist basher while Ursula found all the clues. If I were to do it again with the same characters, I'd give Diana more combat tools, as I assumed vengeance would be on more enemies than it was. And I'd give Ursula more fun Relics to play with and testless clue gathering, but I can't blame anything but dumb luck for her failing just an outrageous amount of investigate checks at +4 or better on normal.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Return to The Circle Undone comes out Friday? Is it really possible? I can't find a lot of reviews for it even though non-US countries have had it since I think July. Has anyone played it?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I think I'm running Diana and Ashcan for Return to TCU. I haven't played Ashcan in a long time, and now I have Moonstone and Glimmer of Hope. :getin:

Supposedly these don't work with Practice Makes Perfect because they don't have icons when PMP finds them, but they're still very good in certain characters who can easily get +4 on either stat the card provides.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
That's a pretty easy weakness, unless you draw it in the middle of your turn (like most enemy weaknesses).

Speaking of dogs, I'm considering running Ashcan + Duke through Return to TCU. Dark Horse + On Your Own (from Return to TFA), so I can play all the splashy survivor events for free or almost free. I'll need soak, but there are some great survivor assets for that for cheap. I got bored of Dark Horse after a Stella campaign, but this sounds fun.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Kalko posted:

The dogs are 2-cost and fast for Leo and he can make good use of both abilities, being a slow Guardian.

I briefly experimented with an On Your Own event-based Wendy as main cluever with Zoey, intending to make use of some Bless tech with like the Holy Spear just to see how it would go without Mary's trickle of tokens, but I don't think any non-Seeker can really provide enough tempo to not fall behind on Hard (I tried Innsmouth again). Well, except Trish, but I wanted a Survivor so I could grab the higher level Bless stuff to keep the bag full. Maybe it would work when they eventually release a Survivor 5/Seeker 2 (which will probably be Darrell Simmons).

I feel like I've been waiting for Survivor 5/Seeker 2 since the game was launched. I keep going through my binder expecting that combination to exist, but nope. Seeker 0-1 is so incredibly strong, combining that with Survivor's 0-5 would probably invite a whole suite of taboo list updates. The only thing I'd really miss from Dark Horse + On Your Own with Ashcan/Duke is playing Miss Doyle and her kittens, but I really loathe shuffling extra cards into my deck in the middle of a scenario anyway. I get Occult Lexicon/Hallowed Mirror is amazing, but I'd literally rather miss out on an average of 4 free damage, healing, draws and/or resources per scenario than have to reach for my deckbox and painstakingly shuffle two cards into my deck.

Anyway, after playing TFA and seeing how devastating a -5 in the bag along with the traditional autofail can be, it really turned me off the traditional investigate action. I play on Normal by default; I don't think I could play on Hard mode because there's no extra benefit for playing on it, you just have to min-max your decks to be +4 or better against the average test of 3. Maybe once I've played through every campaign two-handed including the Return Tos, but I still have Innsmouth and potentially Edge of the Earth to get through. I'm normally a completionist (though Binding of Isaac: Repentance is testing me) but hard mode+ doesn't seem enticing in Arkham Horror until I've got a group of four dedicated people who are jaded to the game's campaigns on normal.

Oh yeah, Leo can also run Ever Vigilant along with that neutral spell I always forget the name of to fetch additional Sled Dogs and play them for 2 each. And play The Star from Return to TCU to give them +1/+1. Tommy can run A Chance Encounter, but Leo is probably the sled dog champion.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Golden Bee posted:

I don’t know what enemies you’d want to use it on that aren’t elite. Maybe some of the weakness enemies that get shoveled into your deck? But the worst one, the thing that follows, spawns far away from you.

Patrice's Watcher is a great target for this. One less problem to worry about while cycling through your deck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Jcam posted:

Anyone have any fun deck suggestions for solo play other than a Ashcan+Dark Horse deck? I’m having trouble getting people to the table for Arkham but I have all these cards sitting around, haunting me, asking me why I’m not using them after spending so much money.

The main downside of playing solo is that failed actions affect you much more because that's 1/3rd of the investigator phase wasted. So characters with built-in failure mitigation are best, like Wendy, Jacqueline, and Stella. And I guess most Survivors, but there's the issue that Dark Horse winds up being the best thing you can do, leading to stale gameplay. Wendy can avoid that and go Big Money with all her green cards, Lone Wolf being an auto-include.

Have you tried two-handed solo? I don't think I could go back to true solo after that, there's so many fun synergies between investigators.