Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Steve2911 posted:

That Medallion mechanic is actually pretty cool and interesting. Roland's one is cool but surely a single free clue isn't enough incentive to replace the .38?

You can take both. You can even use the new card to make a clue to power the revolver.

The revolver also doesn't scale as well once you have a lot of xp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I love the flavor text on this new survivor card.

What are everyone else's favorites?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ragnar34 posted:

Okay, getting sick of losing at the core campaign. Do you have to get super lucky to get the best result using only the core cards, or am I just bad at this? Do I have to use Roland?

That should be an ally. :colbert:

Do you have two cores?

I was able to reliably beat it on hard with two cores prior to dunwich. I always used Roland with Daisy or Agnes though.

Normal is beatable with one core.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Radish posted:

Thanks! Hmm.. I just played a fighter so I don't want to make the other player do the clue gathering thing again. I might table her for something else or see what they want to play first.

She is an investigator that will get exponentially more interesting as more event cards are released. Depending on how often you play I'd table her for now.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Lichtenstein posted:

So if I'm feeling like playing a mystic but, due to team composition, have to be decent at gathering clues, I really have to pick Agnes, don't I?

Why Agnes? Akachi is way better at using Rite of Seeking, which gets better with more players, and Agnes's special abilities are pretty combat focused. Jim would also likely be better than Agnes if you have combat covered.

Mystic is really good at everything but has a heavy reliance on resources and card draw while being at risk of running out of steam before the scenario ends. You can add one to any party as a self sufficient troubleshooter.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Now that we know what archaic glyphs can turn into, Daisy has the potential to use it to be a better Rex than Rex.

I might give the new lower level book of shadows another look while I'm at it if she ends up needing more charges.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

ALLAN LASSUS posted:

e: and also in many scenarios it's pretty obvious that getting a "perfect score" is enormously difficult and not even really the point, I usually don't mind going on to the next scenario with a less-than-optimal success.

I'm glad they designed the second scenario of the starter box in this exact manner so people could hopefully immediately get used to the idea.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Radish posted:

Quick question: I haven't started the latest campaign because I'm waiting for all the cards to come out for the cycle. Is this dumb? It feels weird but I don't like the feeling of putting a deck together then finding out a cool 0 XP card I should have included at the beginning came out later or something that made a character I overlooked really click.

I ended up playing Dunwich four times with different combinations of investigators and friends. I'll probably play it again with another group. Seeing a cool new 0xp card that inspires you should be a good thing, not a bad.

Also consider that the next cycle will also have cool new cards. Just play the game.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

PJOmega posted:

These both take the same slot. Unless you have a Book of Shadows(3) then you can't have both at the same time.

You know you have two spell slots, right?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Maybe consider Daisy and Zoey, I think they'd combo really well.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Radish posted:

Who is a good pair for Jenny? She seems like she's ok at everything but her personal item encourages fighting.

Honestly I'm kind of unclear as to the roll of rogues and survivors since other classes feel like they investigate or fight better which are most of the game.

Jenny is slow to get going so pair her with someone who can get work done immediately. Roland, Pete, or Zoey.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Obama 2012 posted:

Toot Toot!
Arcane Research lets you take a mental trauma in exchange for a 1XP discount on the first spell you buy after every scenario--that could be a good 6-8XP value over the course of a campaign. Seems like a good choice for Norman Withers maybe?

Note you only pay the mental trauma once, not every time you get a discounted spell.

I like these. It felt like there were too many upgrade options to ever see half of what you want without running Delve to Deep. I especially like the seeker one since it encourages non-standard builds.

The mystic card also has even better synergy with spells you can upgrade multiple times. If you are willing to upgrade shrivelling slowly over the course of 4 scenarios you'll end up saving half the xp you'd normally spend.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Zerf posted:

You can run 2 copies of Arcane Research though :toot: But note that it's only upgrades, not new cards.

So you can get 2 x Shrivelling (5) for 2 xp if you spread it over 4 sessions. :drat:

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Obama 2012 posted:

I'm baffled by their tone--they read less like tales of inexplicable weirdness than they do mediocre young-adult fiction. I wish they were more 'Lovecraft/Weird Tales/Stephen King' and less 'Nun-with-a-shotgun-on-a-motorcycle'. I guess that's just how FFG thinks of their brand of Arkham.

To be fair, this sounds a lot more like how a session of Mansions of Madness or Arkham Horror go than the traditional Lovecraft stories.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Boxman posted:

Is the one core set experience supposed to be fairly punishing, or are we awful at this game? Because we just went through twice (once with Roland/Wendy, the other with Daisy/Skids) and got completely wrecked in game three both times. Like, not even close to success.

although one time we did get lucky and were able to throw Lita to the beastie, which is...well, not a loss exactly

If you are good at the game you should be able to fairly easily and reliably beat it on hard if you have two cores.

I saw one person suggest playing on easy. Bump up the difficulty once when you are good and once when you have two cores, which seems about right.

Just get a second core. It lets you have all three missions pre-assembled and you'll want the duplicate player cards.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Lichtenstein posted:

Beat Cop (2 xp), Aquinnah (3 xp) and Brother Xavier (1 xp) enter the Thunderdome. Who will leave and go on to have thrilling adventures with William Yorick?

I'm really tempted by Aquinnah (if only for the joy of dealing with enemies by simply running past them and watching them self-destruct. Also it'd let me use the deck slot of leather coats for some other xp additions), but that +1 fight of the beat cop is quite hard to pass up on.

When I first read this post I thought you were referencing Blood on the Altar.

Orange Devil posted:

The correct answer is Charisma.

Seconded.

Lichtenstein posted:

Also, I've got a passing thought that Survivor is hands down the best class to off-class for pretty much any other color. This both to its generalist nature (i.e. there is no deck Lucky! wouldn't fit in) and the fact Survivors exchange 4+ xp cards for the exile mechanic, meaning your standard 0-2 level access opens nearly entire red cardpool.

I wonder if they've acknowledged the latter when applying the deckbuilding template to various investigators.

This kinda annoys me. A quick search on ArkhamDB for level 3+ cards shows 10 Guardian cards, 11 Seeker, 6 Survivor, 9 Rogue, and 11 Mystic.

If Will to Survive wasn't one of those cards, being a primary Survivor would be completely forgettable.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Since we were comparing survivors to rogues,

I really like A Test of Will and Devil's Luck as slightly kludgy survivor version of Adaptable.

Upgrade the card you want to replace with one of the exile cards, get a one time powerful effect, and afterwards switch to the new level 0 card for free.

Switching level 0 cards feels bad. Exile cards feel expensive for what they do since they hinder long term growth. Getting both features for one xp is actually palatable though.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Lichtenstein posted:

what

matt what are you even

how

why

This looks amazing and I can't wait to see my enemies in hell.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

He can be shut down pretty hard by events though. One of the semi-spoiled cards gives - 1 maximum health which is a much bigger deal if you are intentionally riding the edge.

Another forces you to discard an asset and transfer all damage on it onto your investigator.

Whether he is good or not is dependent on way too many variables that we just don't know yet.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Lichtenstein posted:

I've got a strong feeling Calvin will be this kind of ID that's playable, if somewhat too janky for his own good, until the day some critical combo mass propels him into godhood.

Like, right now rushing for the curse of the rougarou allows for some ridiculous numbers and we haven't even seen any of the obvious follow-ups, such as assets increasing damage capacity of the investigator cards, or some events that ask you to hurt yourself for some powerful effect.

Werewolf Calvin is hilarious.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

At the very least point out that you can play the Scooby-Doo gang.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I'd prioritize the Red Gloved Man and Charisma while making sure I always have 2x A Test of Will and Devil's Luck since they'd help mitigate how risky he wants to play.

I'd also take "I'll see you in hell" since he wants the trauma and it can be a powerful effect.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I played through all but the last scenario of Carcosa for the first time this week. I played as Jenny, one-handed solo with an evasion focus.

In retrospect I would have done things differently.

I had stealth in my deck early on. While it helped save resources I should have just taken Cat Burglar instead. Being able to disengage multiple enemies without a skill check and move with a single action would have saved me so much misery.

I stuck with the Flashlight instead of upgrading to Lockpicks, thinking that the limitation of one investigate check per turn would be too limiting. I was wrong. Most locations only had one clue and shroud values were hard enough that I had to frequently commit resources with streetwise and flashlight charges. Cat Burglar + Lockpicks would have saved me a ton of resources in the long run.

Sleight of Hand + .41 Derringer or Flashlight never came up. The Derringer was mostly underwhelming because +2 combat wasn't enough to deal with the more scary hunter enemies. Backstab combo'd with Double or Nothing was my primary method of dealing with monsters worth victory points. I eventually took Fight or Flight, which is an amazing card that makes everything work so much better. Considering how often I was nearly defeated by horror, I should have taken it much sooner.

I'm a huge fan of Alyssa Graham in single player. Switching her out with Leo (1) wasn't worth it.

Anyone else played one-handed evasion decks? What are some things that work particularly well for them that I might have missed?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Xlorp posted:

My friend gave me a single core for the holidays and we did a run through The Gathering with 4 players and the game-suggestion sample decks. We got a lot wrong but got the RPG feel right. I picked up a second core, full Dunwich, and the first two standalones. And a carry box system; that's not strictly necessary but a good idea.

Anyway, I had a good time soloing Daisy and Zoey through all three parts of Night of the Fanatic. The rules feel more solid and I'd like to run my friend through a campaign with a strong duo.

Night of the Fanatic again, or push on to Dunwich?
He's done Roland once, and Rex might work too. I'd like to use either Daisy or Agnes. I also like Jenny, but I worry she needs to be part of a bigger team to get up and running.

If your friend hasn't played Dunwich with more than a single core I'd recommend playing that again. It gives out a lot more xp which means more deckbuilding opportunities. Playing a long cycle with a trickle of xp would be horrid if you didn't know what you are doing when putting together your deck.

I also really like Midnight Masks, so any excuse to run it again is a good one.

Common wisdom is that Jenny is fine 2 player as long as the other investigators can handle early problems.

One of the strongest duos is Zoey + Rex.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Lockpicks aren't just an additional point over flashlights, they also don't run out nearly as easily.

They also free up slight of hand (you won't need it anymore if you go with machete and switchblade) and remove another unreliable combo from your deck, improving consistency.

Two Lone Wolfs is great.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Kalko posted:

Do you mean you don't play with Sleight at all? I do use Machete and Switchblade but I find it great for just getting more shots from a Derringer when you need the +2 attack, and later with Lupara it's amazing.

I just played through Carcosa with Jenny and never used or needed Sleight despite having it in my deck for most of the campaign. The campaign felt a lot more evasion friendly though. I almost never needed my guns, backstab + double or nothing is really, really powerful.

Regarding the number of clues per location in single player, check out this spoiler free breakdown someone did: https://strangesolution.wordpress.com/2018/04/05/location-location-location-clue-count-charts/

I think another reason I prefer lockpicks is that I often try to commit to tests so that pulling one of the mythos tokens won't completely gently caress me over. This means you'll succeed by 2 more than half the time. Those extra uses add up. I'm also fond of the Cat Burglar, which makes them +2 over a flashlight.

Fight or Flight is the best card. I combined it with Ace in the Hole to do some absolutely absurd work.

edit: Thinking back on it, I had good success with flashlight and sleight in dunwich. It is kinda amazing how different the campaigns end up being.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 16, 2018

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Kalko posted:

Yeah, when I played the first few Dunwich scenarios as Wendy I was able to evade a lot and Backstab + DoN key enemies, but the same trick didn't work well for me as Jenny and I'm trying to remember why. I think because it's too expensive to repeatedly boost with Streetwise? Wendy has +1 agi and Peter Sylvestre, making agi tests more consistent in general, I guess.

I found that Stealth is huge for single player evasion based builds before you get xp for better cards, not exhausting the enemy usually isn't a big deal and it is a pretty low investment.

suicidesteve posted:

So I got into this in my ongoing attempt to make sure I never have too much money (I've mostly quit Magic if you're curious what my old money sink was.) From reading the thread, it looks like I'm not the only one to make the switch. So I was wondering a few things.

1. I'm pretty sure this has been answered but is there any reason I can't use newer cards for older campaigns?

2. I've only played through the first part of the original campaign a few times. Once alone trying to learn the game, once with my wife trying to relearn it and teach her, and once again alone just to kill time at work. For people who've played through the campaigns multiple times with different people, did it work better once you had some knowledge of it already? I wouldn't have any trouble pretending I don't know what's going to happen and I think it would be good to be able to help her a little if she gets stuck.

3. Are there any "traps" that people fall into?

1. Deck building is fun and you have a background in Magic, use everything. Adding a little at a time could be alright for people at risk of becoming overwhelmed, I suppose.

2. An advantage of playing things once solo is you'll catch any rules fuckups before they impact anyone else. I let whoever is new be the lead investigator who gets to make story decisions, so it doesn't matter if I know what happens. The highest difficulties kinda require foreknowledge if you want to do well, try expert once you need more of a challenge. The game is more than the story, luckily the solid mechanics and varied investigators means you can get a lot of replayability even if you know the resolutions.

3. Too many assets is a trap. Make sure you can afford your cards. I've seen players put down an expensive asset late game that has no way to be worth the resources before the game ends.

Most healing is a trap, you'll often be better off just putting down an ally instead. It doesn't matter if you have 10 or 1 health remaining, as long as you make it to the end of the scenario.

You usually don't want to draw a card with your last action. You might draw a weakness and really screw yourself.

Don't assume that a deck or strategy that works well solo will work with 3 or more players. You'll end up with a lot more monsters with a higher player count, usually within the second turn. If you are the party's guardian in a four player game and don't have a weapon turn one you didn't mulligan or build your deck properly.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Xlorp posted:

My friend wants to start with Midnight Masks. I'll build him a Rex deck with the XP tally we got from The Gathering.
Hope I get different weakness for this campaign with Zoey. Indebted was not fun and crimps her Turn 1 firepower options.

2 cores plus full Dunwich cycle is a lot of cards, and Return to Night of the Zealot seems like a no-brainer. Do Carcosa or Forgotten Age have any must-use features or variations while I try to shepherd us through what I have already? My plan is to solo (two entirely different investigators) two scenarios ahead so I can make sure we don't cock up the Acts and Agendas while I Gríma him into taking the dramatic risks.

Some of my favorite cards in Carcosa for Guardians and Seekers:

https://arkhamdb.com/card/03264
https://arkhamdb.com/card/03023
https://arkhamdb.com/card/03232
https://arkhamdb.com/card/03231
https://arkhamdb.com/card/03315

And the card that potentially turns a Strange Solution wielding Rex into one scary boss killing adrenaline junky:
https://arkhamdb.com/card/03155

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

You mostly want Carcosa because other than the third scenario it is really good and a fun challenge.

I'm not sure if it is possible to lose the third scenario though. It is painfully easy.

Not that you need to rush out to get it or anything.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Xlorp posted:

Well, dayum... Fine, Carcosa big box it is then. I have a dream to play Agnes like a nuclear scram jet.

I forgot the obvious https://arkhamdb.com/card/03029 combined with Lightning Gun as Zoey.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Eggnogium posted:

Can you expand on this? Why are you more screwed drawing a weakness at the end of your turn than any other time? Are there many weaknesses that make enemy attacks worse?

It depends on your weakness but a lot of them have negative effects at the end of your turn but can be mitigated. Usually you'll draw them after the monster phase so you'll have an entire turn to react to them but if your last action is drawing a weakness you can run into some trouble.

Not all weaknesses have this problem, but if any of these apply you might not want to draw a card with your final action:
Agnes's Dark Memory means 2 unavoidable horrror
Yorrick's Graveyard Ghouls get a free 1 damage and horror attack
Chronophobia gives 1 direct horror
Internal Injury gives 1 direct damage
Overzealous draws 2 encounter cards, which could mean face tanking two monsters with no way to react
Silver Twilight Acolyte will do 1 damage and add a doom, practically robbing your entire team of a turn
Stubborn Detective also deals 1 damage.

Silver Twilight Acolyte, Overzealous, and Dark Memory are probably the worst of the bunch.

For weaknesses like Jenny's you'll want to weigh whether card draw is worth the risk of drawing finding Izzy once you've reached late game if it hasn't come up yet and you are running short on time. Sometimes you are better off failing a check against rotting remains instead of pitching your guts to reduce the damage if it lowers your chance of drawing a weakness that'll result in mental trauma.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Zerf posted:

How come? It super awesome with Higher Education, and Daisy can use Book of Shadows to refill it if needed.

Imo, Glyphs is one of the reasons why I think Daisy has dethroned Rex as the number one Seeker. On mutiple occations in our Carcosa campaign has Glyphs cleared 6+ clues (one time 9 clues in a single action), leading to more XP and faster progress in scenarios. As for Daisy herself, she brings so much more team utility than Rex, with Encyclopedia and Old Book of Lore.

I really like the evasion glyph in single player. Using a better stat, evading an enemy, and picking up a clue for a single action is amazing.

It also triggering Dr. Milan means Daisy might be the best evasion based solo character.

The other glyph is fantastic though. Its usefulness scales extremely well with the number of players.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Obama 2012 posted:

Still not as bad as Blackjack though. What the hell was that about, Matt?

The purpose of the blackjack, as far as I can tell, is to remind players that misses deal damage to other investigators engaged with the target.

Kinda like how the trench knife exists to remind players that engaging monsters provokes attacks of opportunity. That is one I've screwed up a couple of times in the past but not since that card came out.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

I'm pretty sure the math on Ritual Candles works out such that they are worse with Jim, and not all that great with anyone else.

Yes, but that might change when you draw three take two.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Kalko posted:

No this is good stuff and it helps me consolidate my own thoughts on the game re: action economy. The latest post in this blog touches on a few of the same points in its discussion of solo investigators.

It also confirms my sneaking suspicion that Agnes is one of the worst investigators you could run through Carcosa, which is my current project. Curtain Call in particular with the respawning boss is hugely inconsistent for me because it sucks up Shriveling charges that I need to use on some non-rat enemies and the main scenario objective (since it's practically impossible for her to solve it through investigation).

I'm not into solo mystics because their main thing is trading consistency for huge burst potential. You absolutely need your spells to function.

Which doesn't mean poo poo for investigating when each location only has a single clue.

They are a fantastic 3rd character and depending on setup can be great in two player.

Jim is probably the best of the bunch so far if you have to play solo. He can actually investigate and fight without spells.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Does anyone think Leo can make reasonable use of Hired Muscle?

He can drop it as a zero cost free action when engaged by an enemy for the bonus fight or more efficient guard dog soak if you plan on ignoring monsters.

With the skull you could end up making money.

I suppose treasure hunter might be better for triggering guard dog. Drop down the hunter, investigate your location with a bonus as ghouls chow down on your allies and kill themselves.

It would also be decent calling in favors fodder, maybe?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

apophenium posted:

But yeah if anyone has any advice for my Zoey deck, that would be great!

I absolutely hate fire axe with Zoey because it eats up resources to do its thing and Guardian has lots of really good and expensive cards. Plus you are a Guardian, you have access to better weapons. There are enough monsters that reward you for ranged weapons or penalize melee that the hate for the .45 or .32 isn't justified.

You are right about not needing clues gathering when grouped with a seeker, especially not rite of seeking.

Splash cards I like with her:

Delve too deep
Sleight of Hand with .45 and flashlights (and much later, a lightning gun)
Ward of Protection
Drawn to the Flame (not needed with a seeker)
Fight or Flight lets you trivially kill bosses in the later half of missions
Shortcut helps deal with your weakness
Elusive is also good for dealing with your weakness
Double or Nothing if you plan on picking up a lightning gun. Also pack a bandolier to go with the lightning gun.

edit: I've not yet played Forgotten Age so all of this could be wrong despite playing a lot of Zoey.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 17, 2018

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

alansmithee posted:

I didn't know .32 was disliked? I always thought the "base" guardian package was 2x of machete, .32, guard dog, and vicious blow. And the upgraded .45 as a solid replacement for the .32.

I hear a lot of people say that machete makes all other weapons superfluous. I feel like they ignore its pretty severe drawbacks of requiring an additional action for bonus damage if an ally is engaged (completely negating its action efficiency against 2 health enemies) and weakness against multiple monsters in larger parties.

.32 is great. .45 was good as a backup weapon before .32 came out and still has a home in some decks. As you mentioned, the upgraded version is very nice.

Agreed on lucky. I usually don't take it because we only have two cores and someone else usually needs it more. If that isn't an issue it is definitely worth considering.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Not really. The hidden cards don't impact the story much.

It's just a couple of events that prevent you from taking certain actions but other players don't know why.

It is also an incredibly true solo evasion friendly campaign, far more than the Gathering and a bit more than Dunwich. I'd recommend taking a rogue or Wendy through it. They'll excel.

Edit: Some advice for mission 2 if you go solo: Burn down the house. I didn't and really regretted it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Lichtenstein posted:

What? I'd say between stuff like Curtain Call and Unspeakable Oath it's the roughest campaign for solo.

There aren't very many hunter enemies in curtain call, it isn't bad at all. I played it with a rogue, which have underwhelming starter cards, and was fine. Nearly had the maximum possible xp, even.

You can bail on the second mission. The rest work really well with evasion and the occasional high damage event card to deal with hunters. Most of the campaign would have been downright easy if I did the conclusion to mission 2 differently.

You might need to approach the game differently for that player count, I know I did. Playing through solo was a completely different experience from my usual two investigator runs, which made me appreciate the game system even more than before.

Four player is also quite different. A good deck in two player can end up being garbage in four player.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 19, 2018