Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Randaconda posted:

don't be a baby back bitch about this, friendo

Just don't fly too close to the sun, okay? Your forum friends are worried about you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I've been more negative than most Jaguars fans of late but I cannot blame anyone for being excited that our favorite team is decent for the first time in a decade. The Super Bowl predictions and that dumb image of the AFCN bowing down are dumb but at least let us have some fun with it, yeeesh.

Hey man I was just kidding. I absolutely love watching the Jags, I mean that defense is a beast. Shame about Bortles but hey you can't have everything and they've been putting it together for sure. Hard to say if it will last but I wish the Jags the best.

They are definitely in the group of teams that I will go out of my way to watch, and I think there's reason to be excited about their play. Imagine that team with an elite quarterback.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Oh for sure, I get it, but apparently the Titans fans are jealous or something.

Especially when we all know that week 17 is going to decide the division

I like the Titans too, but they're hard to figure out. They've lost to some really bad teams and beaten some really good teams. The Texans put up 57 points against them (with Watson, obviously), but they handily beat Jacksonville last time. They have a reasonably easy schedule besides that rematch, so yeah, that could end up being a pretty epic game.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Yeah that game against the Browns was one of the uglier games of football this entire season, which is actually saying a lot

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I can't believe Watson is gone. I haven't been excited about a quarterback like that for a long time. He's an absolute loving natural, and his game is just crazy exciting. The Texans are literally ruined without him, it's sad

Play
Apr 25, 2006

b0ng posted:

He did. Unfortunately he gets executed tonight

Can you give me a stream link please? thanks

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I think I heard earlier in the thread that he's dead?

Kidding, sorry about scaring people earlier it just sucked when perhaps the most exciting new player in the NFL isn't on the field and consequently another team goes on my "do not watch a full game" list

Play
Apr 25, 2006

The Big Jesus posted:

Goin to the Christmas eve jags titans game in Nashville gonna be the poo poo go titans sweep the leg

That sounds so fun. Make sure to get appropriately drunk :downs:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Pretty hosed up. To me, Bennett is the only one who earned a suspension. One game or two, and they give him nothing for that ridiculous, malicious move. He literally tried to roll up an O lineman in victory formation, that was just gross. It's a shame because it was a really fun game with a sour, nasty ending.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I was curious to learn about Derek Henry's past accomplishment, and this segment from wikipedia is perfect:

quote:

Scouts regarded his main assets his large frame, violent running, ability to break tackles with ease, speed, long strides, superior conditioning, and consistent play. The main concerns were about the wear and tear his body took as a workhorse at Alabama, his slow acceleration, average foot quickness, below-average catching ability with his hands, narrow based running style, sluggish cutbacks, and his problem with running tall.

Most of all, his cutbacks are weak and he doesn't have good hands. Straight ahead big man rushing styles really don't work anymore. Compare him to Ajayi or Ingram or Gurley. All pretty big guys, definitely power backs, and all with a lot more agility and tight jump cuts.

But for a big man, his speed is incredible. To get going, this man needs amazing blocking, by the O-line and the rest of the offense. When they've managed to spring him he always goes for long yards. But he cannot compensate for bad blocks at the line of scrimmage like those others can. The Titans need to get things straight in that department and set Henry loose.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Come on guys, keep it chill. The Texans were playing super exciting football with Watson at QB. After that, it was just sad. They've got the most to bitch about in terms of injuries as the Eagles had pretty much clinched and Rodgers was able to come back during the season. I would've loved to see what Watson could do the rest of the season, and I am anticipating a big return for him. Titans... it didn't really come together. I don't think Mariota is bad like some do but I think he could work on his accuracy and that he needs much better weapons than what he has. Where is that team's big-bodied slot receiver? There isn't any, in fact they're all kinda short, forcing Mariota to throw into tight windows. Texans need a ton of work too. If one standout piece gets taken away, they just fall apart. That's the sign of a bad, unbalanced football team.

Jags fans, as far as I'm concerned keep doing your thing but try not to gloat too much. I think the Jags have a chance in the playoffs, even a chance to reach the super bowl. I also think that Bortles can be pretty drat good and most people think he's bad because he has a dumb name.

But, all of this could change this offseason. I think each of these teams have something to be happy about. Except the Colts who I completely forgot to even talk about, lol

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I've been watching some games from this season and something I noticed is that Bortles throw really good touch passes when the coverage is favorable. This is more and more important in this league with ball batting defensive linemen and interception-hungry zone defense. He really is good at putting a light touch on a ball and getting it where it should be. But he's horrible at fitting balls into tight windows or coverages where there are a lot of moving parts that make it confusing to tell who is actually open or when they will be open.

I doubt after this time it's something that can be fixed. But the Jaguars tried to use this as much as possible which indicates good coaching. I think they should stick with a strong ballhawk defense and an offense with a lot of RPOs, trick plays, checkdowns and deep shots whenever available. That kind of sounds like most offense but you have to take out long progressions and mid-range throws in the middle of the field. When a deep route gets open down the field Bortles is actually pretty good at hitting them, I hope they continue finding success with these methods. Might be a good idea to get a decent backup QB and start evaluating and developing, though.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I noticed some of these things this year too, because I actually got to see most of the games (thank you reddit dot com slash nflstreams). I think with Allen Robinson back and better guards the Offense could take another step up with Bortles, but still not be amazing.

Overall I agree the coaching was a positive but the conservative nature of either Marrone or Hackett at the ends of halves or games was the direct cause of several of their losses. And Wash/the Defense getting conservative when they were beating the Patriots....all of a sudden switch to a zone defense? Against Tom Brady in the 4th quarter?!? :cmon: edit: though that could have been on Marrone's orders, so who knows.

Oh I know. I was so frustrated during the Patriots Jaguars game. When the Jags got the ball at the end of the first half and decided not to go for points I thought the game was over right there. As the Eagles showed you HAVE to stay on the attack against the Patriots. Plus it made them look shook and created a 100% chance that they wouldn't get extra points on the board before halftime. That could've changed the game completely in my opinion.

Randaconda posted:

My body is ready for another year on the Bort train

I don't need to know what you and Bortles get up to in your spare time

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Randaconda posted:

My body is ready for another year on the Bort train

I heard a fun speculation on a podcast that the Jags could go for Lamar Jackson, have Bortles play 2018 (with a little pressure on him from the new rookie) and then see what happens.

I love the idea of that Jags team with Jackson at the helm, personally.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Metapod posted:

I'm glad Bortles is back

I agree. I used to be real hard on him but he's not as bad as all that. In my opinion he's a legitimate NFL starter, but definitely towards the bottom of that particular 32.

I like his grit and I like his dedication to the game even though, as he so accurately put it, he "isn't a natural thrower of the ball."

poo poo though, you guys got to the Division Championship, that's nothing to sneeze at. I think having Bort play next year is fine, and I'm curious to see if he can keep showing improvement. That being said, I think it's definitely time to draft a quarterback behind him to eventually step forward, hopefully in 2019. I don't think Bortles will take you to the Super Bowl and it'd be a shame to waste that Jacksonville defense.

That's loving legit. I love that. He didn't even have to think twice. From now on Bortles canon is that he is a former cig-ripping, hard-drinking, cat-calling construction worker who one day decided he wanted more out of his life, walked on during training camp and took the team by storm with his presence of command and his blue collar ways

Play fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 25, 2018

Play
Apr 25, 2006

What else is going to change with the Texans besides DeShaun Watson coming back? He was amazing, absolutely no doubt about that but him and that team also lost to the Patriots, Chiefs and Seahawks. He played wonderfully in all those games but they still lost. Other teams who lost their starting QB managed to find more success. Anyone know what the Texans plan is to build a better team around him?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Coldforge posted:

How’s McDaniels looking for you at HC, so far? Think he’s going to be able to right the ship in Indy?

Low blow dude, lol.

In my opinion they rebounded well, Frank Reich might even end up being the better choice by far. That being said, the Colts are such an enigma right now. Without knowing Luck's status and the coaching staff's plans for QB, it's really hard to say what next season will look like. I'm not super optimistic overall, to be honest.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

A lot going on in the AFC South, clearly ;)

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Protect Watson, that's something I can always get behind.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

He also made sure to comment, "Our playing field is not the place for political statements."

loving oval office

Play
Apr 25, 2006

The helmets should be dark blue with white and baby blue flames imo

also this is kind of neat

Play
Apr 25, 2006

big fork small knife posted:

Current rumors have the Jags new uniforms being all black with teal numbers and a black helmet with a satin finish.

Something like this:

I hate them and I hope everyone is wrong.

nooooooooooooooooooooo..... no! no! no! *stomps feet and rolls around on the ground* NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Lol he doesn't want to catch it. He's feeling that linebacker coming through about to nail his rear end to the ground

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I really want to know what kind of football he was actually throwing. Nerf maybe?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I don't really like the new jags uniforms... I never disliked the last ones as much as some people did. The new ones are just a bit more bland, and it might just be the photo but the teal looks like it has less green now

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Taven Bryan isn't even a proven football player. I'm a bit worried for the Jags that he's going to be a dud, but apparently they felt the entire team is solid enough to go for a luxury pick

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Metapod posted:

Casey rules I would kiss him

You stay away from him bitch. I'll go to second base so there

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Metapod posted:

Why do you have to make this weird

love triangles are always weird it ain't my fault

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Mega64 posted:

titans bitch

TITS UP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

There's no way he streamrolls on offense quite like last year. But I don't see anything that should prevent him from becoming a solid quarterback and a great player for the Texans. There's no doubt that he comes back to earth a bit, just going by his interceptable pass rate and the amazing creation of catches his receivers gave to him. But I'm still super excited.

• Locked thread