Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should it be legal for other people to assault you if they disagree with you?
This poll is closed.
Yes 183 49.06%
No 190 50.94%
Total: 328 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
From the GBS thread (not importing drama, just representin') re: "How exactly do you reasonably engage with "let's get rid of all the black people, just, y'know, make them go away":

Novo posted:

The same way you deal with the guy who thinks UFOs are transmitting eggnog recipes into his fillings. So if you're in public, you politely ignore him. If he's at your door with a gun then that's different.

I'm preparing some sharp rear end rebuttals for that day, let me tell you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

enki42 posted:

Sorry, I missed that one (and I meant this thread more). But yeah, anyone proposing no action whatsoever is an idiot. There's a big gap between that and "punch everyone you think might be a nazi".

That's why I brought a quote of that, it was strikingly dumb

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

"Hey we're just saying, y'know, what if there were no black people? Wouldn't it be neat if they were just, y'know, gone? The exact means of disposing of them, well, we call it 'peaceful ethnic cleansing' wink wink nudge nudge"

https://www.revolvy.com/main/index.php?s=AlternativeRight.com&item_type=topic

This is really their foundation of argument, they're not even subtle about it. I'm glad Spencer got punched and I hope he gets punched more.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

If he didn't actually mean literally Kill All The Black People, he would not be using words that literally mean Kill All The Black People ("ethnic cleansing", which he personally still advocates)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Cool, we are on the same page :hfive:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

A number of people have said in conversation about this whole nazi thing that it's okay, there's just no way there could ever be a fascist takeover in the US, and that the whole idea of ethnic extermination is so dumb that it could never catch on. I'm absolutely certain most of Germany never imagined poo poo like the Einsatzgruppen and gas chambers and ovens right up until they happened.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Have you not read any of the hundreds of essays Spencer and his publishing outlets have produced?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Calibanibal posted:

came into this thinking it was good to punch nazis, but after reading some of the arguments itt im beginning to wonder if maybe its not good to punch nazis

Please reconsider

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

AARO posted:

Is it morally ok to beat my wife if she hates Mongolians?

Not legally ok, just morally guys.

Is your wife advocating the genocide of Mongolians? then yes you should punch that nazi bitch :shrug:

People keep asking these things the same way, it's like the loving "does the dog have a Buddha-nature" poo poo

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Why would police interfere with their government-protected First Amendment rights?

e: oh wait :ohdear:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Kilroy posted:

I agree with this, but the thing is cops don't actually do any of that stuff, so...

Well not USUALLY.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Wild Horses posted:

which police, where?

pass real laws making it very hard for nazis to use their favorite iconography etc when walking around, meet in large groups etc.
this means changing your presumably american constitution i think? so that's kinda hard

What iconography? They aren't wearing swastikas.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Ethnic Cleansing: an alarming political view

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

FreeKillB posted:

Maybe I should give an example to note that despite many efforts following this reasoning will not lead to simple 'Nazi' and 'not-a-Nazi' boxes as a coherent moral test to determine whom is to be denied the basic human right of bodily security. If your argument is that American Nazi Party rhetorical calls for ethnic cleansing justifies facepunching, then we should extend the same to all groups advocating for ethnic cleansing.

Exactly right.

quote:

My reading of this is as clear-cut a case of advocating ethnic cleansing as you can get. Under the proposed moral test, it would be cool and good for conservatives to go around sucker punch members of HT.

If they're advocating ethnic cleansing then yes I agree they should get the fist.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

There's about a 0.0% chance of Nazis taking over America. Nazis are not a threat at all. The majority of Americans are well acquainted with other races and Jewish people and aren't going to let their friends and co-workers be exterminated in camps.

This is the worst.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The Kingfish posted:

"Effectiveness" or "considering the effect that my actions will have on others" is morality.

This isn't a common definition for "effectiveness" much like relocation and segregation are not common definitions for "ethnic cleansing", fyi.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The villains here actually are irredeemable though and deserved to be punched, and punched some more :shrug:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Mass murder, ethnic cleansing: These are just expressions of politics guys, just like democracy!! :shrug:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

having positive opinions about genocide isn't the same thing as doing a genocide and does not warrant the same response

for instance, if a guy is saying genocide is cool and good then i might be like "dude that's hosed up you're hosed up" but if he's actually started a genocide in his backyard, like he set up his own shower facility in a tool shed and is inviting all his jewish neighbors over, then i might do more than just tell him "dude that's hosed up you're hosed up"

Working to implement genocide and ethnic cleansing for a decade: same as thinking about it guys!! Really there's NO WAY it could happen here! :shrug:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

idgi, what does "working to implement it" entail, like did he write a book or something or has he been amassing zyklon b and developing jew-sniffing death showers to secretly deploy at truck stops across the country

You know this thing with politicians that run for office and dudes that work with them and advise them and then stuff happens?? Maybe you haven't heard of it a lot of people don't understand it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

You literally need to wait until they stuff you into the gas chamber before you can oppose them guys, anything else is just .... uncivilized!! :shrug:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

so he has an idea and he's trying to get people to share his idea and it hasn't worked because we don't have some kind of weird active genocide going on, idg the risk

If you can't see how this fresh, hip idea about racial cleansing is genuinely gaining traction in the past couple of years, you must not be watching the news.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

... and that relates to people working tirelessly to accomplish literal, actual genocide in what way exactly?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

it relates to them failing hilariously

So you're saying that it's impossible they they'll ever succeed? I guess? Which is pretty dumb?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

i'm saying that i haven't seen any convincing indicators that they will, other than if you scream trump or something, which i don't really sign onto as an indicator of impending fascism or genocide despite joking about it continually in the months leading up to the election

There was this little thing called World War II that maybe you've heard of?

It's a doctrine that fundamentally revolves around categorical oppression and mass murder, Hitler (you know, THAT GUY) crushed his opposition with assassination and seized power, and you think they should just get unlimited time and do-overs until they actually are in control? What?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

i went over that before man, the world and ~the culture~ changed at least in my view

basically the way i see it is people are still lovely but less lovely than they used to be, like violently lovely, in the grand scheme of things

Your view (that nazi organization is on the decline or not gaining traction) is provably really wrong though. Like, super wrong. I mean, here's one pretty loud and clear example:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/dec/01/stop-fascism-becoming-word-of-the-year-urges-us-dictionary

"People are too nice to get into fascism these days guys" ahahahaha

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

This notion that some kind of overwhelming majority is required for full fascism to take off, that's neat. Do you think Hitler had to get a 75% majority vote before he started sticking people into gas chambers?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

you're arguing hypotheticals that are nowhere close to being fulfilled, if they ever do at all

And you're not doing the same? Are you some kind of telepathic census taker? If empirical evidence that organized nazism (whether i name or simply a duplication of ideological goals) is gaining traction is not enough to convince you what are you making your judgment on?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Pseudo-God posted:

Maybe these mobs can have a designated guy with a checklist who goes through the opinions of the potential targets. Each opinion on the list entitles the lucky winner with a set amount of punches.

Ethnic cleansing: Just like, your opinion man :shrug:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

what i'm saying is that the evidence i've seen doesn't convince me that a movement large enough to cause a genocide, or anything close to a genocide, is capable of forming at the moment

admittedly it's kind of a ~gut feeling~ tempered by a general tendency to chillax

Okay, well, the evidence I've seen convinces me that you do not assign sufficient weight to the consequences of allowing these motherfuckers free reign to try try try again until oops they get it right and then, well, that's pretty bad isn't it? I don't think the other guys are very interested in how chillax you are.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

well yeah, it's not like a roadrunner cartoon where the nazis keep setting up one elaborate rube goldberg contraption after another until one finally works and all the jews get dead

what i see is they're not capable of succeeding in the united states at all anymore, due to reasons i've discussed, they can keep trying and they'll keep failing because the nazi thing can never garner enough support to genocide some peeps

It's okay everybody, we're too chillax and there's just no way it can happen here :shrug:

Keep your head in the sand, it must be really comfortable.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Very OK :thumbsup:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

well yeah, it's not like a roadrunner cartoon where the nazis keep setting up one elaborate rube goldberg contraption after another until one finally works and all the jews get dead

and ps yes, it literally is just like that.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

hmm ok, what are the hate crime statistics from that same site

They get their statistics from the FBI, so if you want to play that game you're welcome to look at comparative numbers from the FBI here yourself (you can chillax and smoke a fattie while you pretend nothing's wrong everything is fine)

https://ucr.fbi.gov/hate-crime/2013/topic-pages/incidents-and-offenses/incidentsandoffenses_final
https://ucr.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/hate-crime/2014/topic-pages/incidentsandoffenses_final
https://ucr.fbi.gov/hate-crime/2015/topic-pages/incidentsandoffenses_final

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

i might take a break from the thread since it's getting late, don't know about the reading part though :shrug:

Spencer has written about 500 essays and articles on white pride and ethnic cleansing that should make good bedtime reading, pleasant dreams friend!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Guess what happened in 2103. Go on.

e: I have a very specific event in mind that pertains to this and I'll spell it out if you want but really take a swing at it. :smuggo:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

In 2013 Richard Spencer et al. re-engineered all of their more overt "seriously, let's kill the black people" content into their new, hip, swag, dope, totally epic message format and tone that is those totally lovable, fun, hilarious guys popularly known as the Alt Right, and oops they may have hit the correct combination because they are very obviously gaining traction. This change in their message tone and packaging was not accidental and was not something they did on a whim. This is when, don't laugh, the Pepe poo poo got rolling.

“We have to look good,” he told Salon.com writer Lauren Fox, because no one is going to want to join a movement that is “crazed or ugly or vicious or just stupid.”

e:

quote:

Real diversity and tolerance apparently only go so far, however. In an address at white supremacist Jared Taylor’s 2013 American Renaissance conference, Spencer called for “peaceful ethnic cleansing.” As an example of how this could be accomplished, he cited the 1919 Paris Peace Conference, where new national boundaries were formed at the end of World War I. “Today, in the public imagination, ‘ethnic cleansing’ has been associated with civil war and mass murder (understandably so),” Spencer said. “But this need not be the case. 1919 is a real example of successful ethnic redistribution—done by fiat, we should remember, but done peacefully.”

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The Number of Hate Groups stat does a fuckin 90 degree turn dude, keep chillaxin tho :shrug:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Indigofreak posted:

Doesn't look like it to me. It was an act. He isn't afraid at all. He's still spewing his hate all over. It was ineffective.

And even if it was, one man being afraid after being punched is not a large enough case study to prove that it will work on them all, or anyone else for that matter.

He ran away crying and holding his huwty ear and he himself admits that that loving gif actually really damaged his cause, which is great, so let's see it and all enjoy it together :buddy:

“I’m afraid this is going to become the meme to end all memes,” Spencer said in a periscope video. “That I’m going to hate watching this.”

I love the way he cowers and cringes as he runs away :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

enki42 posted:

Cool, why don't you show me an example of Nazis cowering in fear as a result of this punch, because last time I checked Richard Spencer was still posting / giving interviews / etc.
Sure here's one:

owwww it hutsss :(((

• Locked thread