Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should it be legal for other people to assault you if they disagree with you?
This poll is closed.
Yes 183 49.06%
No 190 50.94%
Total: 328 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The Kingfish posted:

Lowtax is ignoring what pretty much everyone in that thread is saying. It shouldn't be legal but it is still very good. Juries can nullify his attacker's sentence if they want because that's how juries work.

He says, repeatedly, that it's cool and good that this Nazi dickbag got punched in his smarmy loving face. The opinion you're expressing is exactly what he said. Repeatedly. The whole post you're trying to answer is in response to people arguing that such violence should be legal, so he's asking them to quantify how much violence should be legal.

loving halfwits are why we can't have nice things.

Lowtax posted:

Eh this isn't particularly fun discussing this and it's just wasting my time, so I'm going to bow out. To recap my positions:

1) Punching douchebags who think genocide is a swell idea is entertaining and amusing.
2) However, I feel normalizing violence isn't a great idea, and could lead to huge problems down the road.

Peace out

wizard on a water slide posted:

It's good that the law and morality are two different things, because it should not be legal to assault people, but it is morally correct to assault Nazis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

So to more happily suit the thread, we shouldn't punch Nazis.

Rear naked chokes are more efficient.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I'm curious for those insistent on perfect pacifism :

How do you propose to negotiate with a man, in Spencer, who has openly advocated for the genocide of black Americans?

What points of compromise do you find with him? Maybe just a little genocide? Culling the bottom 10% of achievers? Maybe only going back to segregation, so black Americans can maintain their current equal standards of living, just seperate from White America?

Or just raising the incarceration rates, to salve the conscience, and those distasteful second-class citizens he goes on about are out of sight and out of mind bloodlessly.

Do not compromise, because all portions of the Nazi's rhetoric are unacceptable, even in lesser degree.

Punch the Nazi. Tell him to gently caress off with his abhorrent ideas.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 27, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Keeshhound posted:

You're curious because you obviously never so much as spoken with one in the past or actually read their writings with the intent to understand.

An honest to God pacifist isn't going to try to compromise with a Nazi any more than you would. They might try to use moral suasion to get them to back down, they might try place themselves between them and their intended victim, or offer themselves in exchange. They might even engage in public self harm to try to shame the Nazi into backing down, but people who are truly committed to the ideals of nonviolence aren't the capitulating idiots you seem to want to strawman them as. Their values are going to be for the most part the same as yours, except that they will shun violence wherever possible, often at great cost, both physical and social, to themselves.

That's precisely why I chose 'those insistent on perfect pacifism', because pacifists have an answer, and it generally isn't 'capitulating to Nazis'.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Punch a Nazi today so you won't have to bayonet one five years down the road.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Honestly, I'd like to see more rich people punching Nazis.

The wealthy are already functionally immune to much of our legal system's consequences due to the power and privilege of being able to afford top-flight lawyers, so it would be great to see more of them using that power for good.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

enki42 posted:

The victim was black bloc, the black bloc were unquestionably violent at the protest, and the victim reportedly had a knife and brass knuckles on him (the first two points are uncontroversial, but I could be wrong on the 3rd).

This is an example of a non-white supremacist getting shot as a result of a protest escalating to the point of violence.

Cite your sources. You're outright wrong on your first two points, so they're drat well not uncontroversial, and so far as I can find from a cursory google search you pulled the bits about the victim being armed out of your rear end.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 27, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Keeshhound posted:

It actually is, but if you'd like to insist otherwise, would you mind composing an argument to that effect instead of just calling me a nazi for disagreeing with you? Because I'd love to be convinced to see things your way; it seems like a much simpler, and less stressful way to view the world.

At best he called you stupid. If you wish to take that to imply Nazism, I won't argue with your definition of it as 'stupid', but he did not call you a Nazi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

enki42 posted:

Cool, why don't you show me an example of Nazis cowering in fear as a result of this punch, because last time I checked Richard Spencer was still posting / giving interviews / etc.

https://twitter.com/jonnywaistcoat/status/825521837828403200/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

• Locked thread