Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Der Shovel posted:

Word to the wise: the game doesn't have a permanent autosave, which I learned the hard way. I lost over 3 hours of progress because despite having continue points for deaths etc, all these autosaves are lost when you quit playing unless you loving manually save your game.

In 2017.

Fans should be relieved then since this is exactly like Resident Evil 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Weird thing about this game: those just stop not very far into the game and give way to the normal kind of cutscenes.

I'll interpret this as a meta-commentary on how 1988 is not only the year Yakuza 0 takes place in but also the year Namco released the System 21 board which was the first one designed specifically to focus on handling real time polygonal graphics, the year the MegaDrive came out, and the year the PC-9801RA line of PC-98's came out and they wanted to represent how cutscenes got better and didn't have to always be in 2D static images.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

lets hang out posted:

1 and 2 at least had coherent stories, I couldn't possibly explain to you what happened in 3 through 5.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Yeah, the quadruple betrayals and the fake bullets and the talks about the resort deal is baffling. I couldn't finish five due to my ps3 dying, but I almost finished Baseballer Dude and all I remember is Taiga punching Bears and Haruka running on TV. The main story was... I don't remember.

To be fair, 4s Ending was glorious. The stupid money match on millennium tower with 4 shirtless dudes fighting 3 other shirtless dudes + Munakata and his police ninja while Akiyamas money is flying around was worth the setup.

IIRC they got a pretty popular crime novelist to write Yakuza 2's story which is why the scope is so much bigger/the story parts are way longer than Yakuza 3/etc.

I love Yakuza 4 but the fake bullet thing really was bizarre, same with like, the entire endgame of Yakuza 3. I mean I know what the character represents but the final stand off/cutscene/whatever with Mine reached this hilarious point of like oh wait so we actually agree on basically everything and are cool with each other, time to kill myself anyway. 4's endgame is amazing like you say though and so are each of its chapter endings. I found it interesting how 4 has four characters that play differently but had a simpler story overall (just with some real stupid poo poo now and then like the rubber bullets).

I still have to finish Yakuza 5. Is each character's story really "do this mini-game thing way too much and then go the final building."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Also the "we gotta team up and stop these evil Koreans from having entertainment careers dammit" plot thread.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Ledgy posted:

All and all, I think I prefered 0. But I guess that's not a very unpopular opinion to have.

I have to ask about this because I've been seeing it a lot on the internet in general, wasn't Kiwami considered A Bad Video Game even in this thread until basically until like six months ago? I like both but Kiwami, I mean Yakuza 1's a great game but it had so little going on in it compared even to 2 so I can understand anyone being a little underwhelmed.

Especially since in Japan these came out a year apart from each other. Going straight from 0 to Kiwami could be rough.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Suuucks I have a thread for it almost ready to go too.

I notice GameStop has the premium version with the two shotglasses back in stock if folks want that.

My wife just started playing through the series a month and a half ago though so maybe the delay is a good thing to be fully caught up.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Any cover they've done is still better than the hilariously lowest budget ever of the Yakuza 2 US cover which was the Yakuza 1 cover but lower resolution and not even in color.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

SpacePig posted:

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
It's available on Gamestop's site right now, and yes is $90 so very expensive. I got a lot of Amazon cards for Christmas and my birthday last year, though so that's how I'm affording it.

Oh, haha, I was quoting the last guy, and didn't realize we had both said shot glasses. What I meant was rocks glasses. It is very good.

I'm sorry but you are objectively wrong. This is the worst cover I've seen for any game since probably the NES.

That one's better because it's so bad and Sega jad the brass balls to willingly release it against Call of Duty thinking people would see it and buy Yakuza 3 instead. I was working at GameStop at the time and wish I kept the giant poster of it.

W E L C O
M E T O T
H E N E X
T L E V EL

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

I'll definitely play Kiwami 2 though. :getin:

I've been playing the demo over again and even though it's relatively brief it's amazing. It just looks so much better than Kiwami 1. I mean not just on a technical level because of the Yakuza 6 engine, but the lighting being more like Yakuza 2, the less remixed music, the weird extra spaces and buildings and alleyways everywhere you can use as shortcuts, it's way more "Yakuza 2 but better in every way" than Kiwami 1 is compared to its original.

I loved Kiwami a lot but I feel like this is going to be much less disjointed since there'll be less new story/character stuff they need to shoehorn in to make it seem like more robust.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Danaru posted:

ght? I fought him a couple times early in the game, and now I'm nearly done Chapter 7 and he's been AWOL this whole time. My poor Dragon style is all but useless :saddowns:

This sounds like you missed one of the pre-set appearances. Check your cell phone to see what Nishida last said to you. He won't pop up around town until you fight him at a specific spot hinted at by those messages. After you find and fight him a few more times you'll get the "Majima Detector" so you'll see him as a green spot on the map whenever this happens. But even with it you may be at the point where he's hiding in an object and you won't see him normally til you catch him in one. Depending on how many times you fought him check those black cars parked on the sidewalks now and then, and also the giant traffic cones. Or you might have to do a session of bowling/darts/racing/etc. and run into him there to get him wandering around again.

Unfortunately even if you exhaust every possible fight with him ASAP the dragon style is still pretty useless until the endgame, I would do Komaki's training exercises in West Park though because that unlocks other moves for it that are very awesome. But you have to fight Majima A LOT before you get the upgrade that actually makes the dragon style fast enough to use on bosses/all the time. It's very lame because basically it's not that great even with upgrades, then a chapter or two before the game ends it goes to the opposite extreme and you can completely steamroll anyone with it. Like you'll get this one throw move (I think it's "Essence of Overhead Toss?") you do just by hitting triangle after grabbing someone that takes off almost a full bar of life. And at that point you also have the thing where your heat fills up the first time you grab someone in battle, and a bit after you knock someone out, so you just completely obliterate people with it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Speaking of which, if you turn up the difficulty in Zero does it change the enemy behavior or does it just give them more life/make them hit harder?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yakuza 5 has so much good stuff in it but I kind of wish it only had Kiryu, Saejima and Haruka as playable characters. I didn't even do all of Haruka's stuff it was just a fun change of pace since mini-games being worked into the main story was such a thing anyway. But the combat and the small conversations and writing in 5 is really really strong so I wish they just picked a smaller number of characters and developed+connected their stories better. But like Saejima's story you got new characters and a new city and everything and you're barely in it and just when his plot is starting to get really interesting you switch. I also liked how you'd often fight huge groups of weak dudes and how you fast you learn a bunch of awesome heat moves.

Weirdly, I was prepared to hate Saejima's hunting but, even though I didn't finish every single mission of it I think I like it the most of the new stuff. You can at least move around and have to aim and it was cool to have a little sub-area connected to the new city map. I have to replay the entire series to really rank them honestly but I think 5 might also have the second best Don Quixote promotional dialogue after the epic meeting up with Rikiya moment in Yakuza 3.

Anyway it's a weirdly paced game but I still liked it a lot, but yeah Yakuza 4 is better.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 11, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Endorph posted:

just got kiwami for 15 bucks and is the fight with the bald guy at the funeral supposed to take 30 minutes and be mostly you two breaking each other's grabs

Consider lowering the difficulty if it's a pain, but also if you have the points, upgrade your skills so you can do the kiwami attack that matches the color of his aura (I think it's the best mode one). The main thing it to pay attention to which of his moves track you and which don't, and focus on sidestepping his attacks, getting a few hits in, repeat.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I missed it the first time, but the sub story in Zero where you help a dominatrix become more assertive and she inadvertently invents the concept of tsundere is loving amazingly written. It's both funny and the way all of the writing building up to it clicks all at once at once when she's like "not that I'd care if you came back or anything!" at the end is perfect. I know some of the slang and profanity in the game doesn't quite come off as "humans spoke like this in 1988" but my wife and I both busted a gut laughing at how that played out and this is seriously one of the funniest games I've ever played. Like god drat this game is just amazing.

I still have to get Ishin. :(

I kind of wish the PSP didn't dissolve so fast into a system people in Japan only got for Monster Hunter and visual novels because it has a bunch of great oddball games like those Yakuza titles on it that are never going to appear anywhere again.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

That Hokuto Ga Gotoku demo holy loving poo poo. :aaaaa: I know it's not related but I wish they could somehow remake the PSX Battle Angel game in this engine.

Still, like, uh, this game like, WILL actually have some of the original music right? Right Sega? You were able to get it into the Arc Systems Works fighting game so you'll get it into the actual game here right? :(

Regarding it being a pain in the rear end to find PS4 demos, the "fastest" way from entering the PSN store is to go to the Free section, go right til you reach Trending Demos and select the bar at the top to see the full list, then set the list to filter from most recent to least recent. Any other way and you'll miss stuff.

Every Yakuza game after the original has some kind of way to see previous stuff in the story and be up to speed so you won't be lost.

I wish Yakuza 5 was more fully realized, I honestly wouldn't mind some kind of refined remake of that, like just remove Shinada completely and have a little more time on the other folks and their stories linking together more. The disjointedness was disappointing because the little moment to moment dialogue and writing in general was pretty much the best in the series when it came out. Playing as Haruka was a fun change of pace too, though I wish they made it like Saejima's hunting where after doing a bit of it you could just leave (or in her case switch to Akiyama) and go back to it whenever you felt like it.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 27, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

YOOOOOOOOOOO unlike Kiwami the recap of Yakuza 1 in the US Yakuza 6 demo actually has the Receive You track. :aaaaa:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

To be this good takes A G E S
To be this good takes S E G A

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Same here, this game loving rules.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

MrLonghair posted:

The Hokotu ga Gotoku CM on PlayStation Japan was uploaded, with English subtitles ready
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNiaaRXz2b0
Maybe we'll be told about a Fist of The North Star game coming our way at E3

The demo is great but why did Sega change Aarzak's name to Kenshiro?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Adaptabullshit posted:

I'm interested to know how they gauge how one character is stronger than the other.

Is it the amount of chapters it took Kenshiro to beat them? Amount of encounters and Kenshiro's track record with said enemy?

Since Sega is still publishing it might be like their Black Belt/Hokuto no Ken or The Last Battle/Hokuto no Ken II games where you have to use specific attacks in a specific order to beat them (as an abstraction of Kenshiro figuring out the right pressure points to hit to make them die/explode/remove their skills/whatever).

Speaking of which that'd be a deep cut DLC, something that changes everyone's hair color/names to what they were in The Last Battle.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Adaptabullshit posted:

Even better, the western release will be made to adhere to the Black Belt/Last Battle continuity

We don't deserve something as glorious as 1080p 60FPS "Aarzak! Save the world! Only I can save the world!"

I still wish Sega localized the Arc System Works 2D fighter in the US as The Last Battle II.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

julian assflange posted:

Only another month until I get my hands on six :smith: Been trying to fin some PS3s for cheap but they are hard to find and Yakuza 5 is still a full price game on PSN :catstare:

Have you had PS+ for a while? Yakuza 4 and 5 were both free games a long while ago so you might already have them.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

One of my favorite life lesson moments in the series is when Kiryu runs into the guy in Yakuza 3 that's contemplating jumping off a bridge because he feels worthless but his family will be able to claim a huge life insurance policy he has. The bridge like a foot above a not deep at all small canal and Kiryu gives the guy a full breakdown of insurance claim workings and how different policies work if someone commits suicide.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

MrLonghair posted:

Kiwami 2 will be the other best remake of 2018.

Even just the demo is better than PS4 Shadow of the Colossus.

Doesn't Sega own Atlus now? It'd be cool if Sega proper isn't interested if Atlus or some other publisher can bring the Hokuto no Ken game over here. Going by the demo the story won't need a particularly amazing translation or anything to get across the nuanced themes of some assholes are being assholes so Kenshiro kills the gently caress out of them.

Housh posted:

I was going to play Kiwami 1 now leading up to the release of 6. Now I don't know if I should just play Kiwami 1 after 6 and then go to 2.

Kiwami 1 is a good game but it will be a huge disappointment if you play it after 6 and especially Kiwami 2.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 18, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

This is one of the few games I would actually drop $59.99 or more for and pre-order and everything but drat $49 I'll take it. It looks great on the new engine and unlike Kiwami 1 they didn't mess with the music as much (I didn't encounter the FA°RT hoodie though :( ).

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 20, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

man nurse posted:

I was incredulous at being able to knock stuff over while walking around in the Yakuza 6 demo. Truly, this is next gen Yakuza.

Being able to step over guardrails/etc. instead of having to walk around them. :aaaaa:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It's the opposite for me, everything looks nicer and the framerate is higher on Zero and Kiwami, but the games still play and work similarly enough that I didn't have a problem replaying the old ones relatively recently. Plus they each hop around to different locations and stuff and the team does such a great job nailing the feel of each city that it keeps them unique. 4 and 5 hold up great to me and I hope they get, I guess they don't really need remakes like Kiwami, but like HD/60FPS re-releases so they can be more accessible to folks because they're cool. 5 is kind of all over the place but the fighting is soooo good in it. 3's a little tougher to go back to because was just early enough to have some early PS3 game jankiness about it and some stuff with the controls they didn't quite nail yet imo.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

DrNutt posted:

That may well be true but the difference is night and day. Like I said in an earlier post, if I could play Yakuza 5 in a proper resolution with anti-aliasing and such, it wouldn't be so jarring, but it looks pretty bad for a late gen PS3 game (though to be fair not that late given the time they have to spend on localizing those games).

Man, with Bayonetta and Vanquish getting great PC ports it's nice to imagine Sega doing that someday. Is there anything license-wise tying these games to Sony or is it just the platform Sega has always released them on?

Definitely not, The Yakuza 1 and 2 HD ports came out on the Wii U in Japan.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

Really digging Kiwami, lotta fun! Wandering around the city, kicking rear end, taking side quests, good stuff. The side quests usually being quick and in general the quick pace, goes nicely as a follow up to the epic 0. And Majima has been fun so far too.

But this hostess, Rina, she's gotta be the #1 villain. She does not like Kiryu's clothes. Which he picked himself because it's totally rad, and chooses to wear for the rest of his life. I don't feel like that is a reasonable position, if Rina's story goes somewhere I'm just not gonna find out, no thank you Rina, I cast you out! I could give an Anthony Hopkins level speech on this Rina! Outrageous.

(Oh no, if you got to the other hostess club Kiryu says he has to go meet up with Rina instead. I know he's selfless, but no not more Rina, this is his gravest challenge thus far.)

(edit 2: Yui doesn't like his clothes either. No taste in this town, folks!)

Honestly don't even worry about the clothing or equipment. Answering the questions right and buying the most expensive champagne/the fruit platter halfway through will make the gauge go up a full level every time.

There's not as many questions as the mini-game makes it seem, but to save time I'd just look at a faq. The Kiwami guide on Gamefaqs has a simple chart of each topic and the best answer along with where to meet them later to finish their sub stories.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 26, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

CrashScreen posted:

3rding 0.

Honestly, I know it's a game, but that minigame made me feel pretty uncomfortable. It's too real and too awkward.

e: I've just learned that the localisation for Kiwami 2 will have the original licensed music. I think this is a first since the PS2 games, right?

They sneaked For Faith into US Yakuza 4 during the game installation. But I think that may have been some weird oversight because IIRC it was said officially the game wouldn't have the licensed stuff and the in-game intro just uses one of the generic tracks like US 3 and 5.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 28, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

man nurse posted:

Just preordered Yakuza 6 drinking glasses edition crew :cheers:

:hfive: Insanely hyped for this even if we played through a chunk of the game via the demo. We even got a bottle of Hibiki to break in the glasses with.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I never had a Hibiki I didn't like, but Yamazaki excellent also if you can't find the former (the 12/17/etc. Hibiki will be sold out pretty often at a lot of places because it owns). If you want to go cheaper the ones that just have the Suntory label on them are good too. Basically nothing on this page is bad but get something a lot cheaper if you're not sure what you'd like:
https://whisky.suntory.com/en/na/products/

And if you're living in the bubble........

http://liquorama.net/suntory-the-yamazaki-mizunara-18-year-old-single-malt-japanese-whisky-750ml.html

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

mikeycp posted:

y'all assuming the glasses will come intact.

i've been calling it the "box of broken glass edition" for months now

IIRC the reason for the delay was "issues with the special edition" so I'm assuming they already had a batch that was cracked right out of wherever they were packed and we'll hopefully be okay.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Quantum Shart posted:

So I just finished Kiwami and it's really changed how I feel about the series. I liked it so much less than 0. I found after the halfway mark that so much of it was an exercise in frustration. The fights were full of annoying bullshit, the side stuff was super lacking and I'm just glad I'm finished with it so I can uninstall it. Makes me really rethink if I want to get Kiwami 2 or even 6, cause ugh, what a chore.

Definitely don't skip Kiwami 2. Yakuza 1 is an extremely bare game comapred to 2 and on and that's why Kiwami 1 is so bare.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Expect My Mom posted:

Someone needs to do a count of how many substories in Kiwami 1 are someone trying to scam Kiryu or him getting pickpocketed. I'm sure those were in the original before the substories got utterly goofy, so not much Kiwami could do about them, but still it is unreal

It felt like kind of a payoff for magic water scam in Zero and him swearing he'll never get scammed again. Like if you read between the lines in Kiwami, I got the impression that he fell for every single one of those scams in the past at some point.

My favorite sub story payoff though is the girl in Zero that Majima can win some UFO catcher dolls for and she's just like "I just.....stare at them..." and then in Kiwami the similar sub story's character is clearly someone of whom that woman is now his S&M mistress.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Now that we're living in some kind of Hyperbolic Time Chamber timeline where we're somehow getting 4 Yakuza games (and potentially a spinoff if Hokuto ga Gotoku pans out) in the course of a year and a half, I'm actually wondering if ISHIN! could come overseas. I doubt KENZAN! (the original blueprint for the modern Yakuza game design) would ever get an overseas release unless they made some kind of PS4 HD remaster of it, but ISHIN! is probably like a super backburner thing.

I was sad Ishin missed its opportunity to be localized here early. The PS4 ended up having a solid two years where like Assassin's Creed stuff and Mordor were the only "run around and stab the poo poo out of everything" games. Not that it's particularly similar to those but it could have done moderately just for being a third person run around and fight stuff game on a new system.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

Good question. The impression I get is you can't go wrong. I have friends who are jumping from Kiwami to 6, and more people being excited for the new games is cool too. Though you may want to look at some videos on games you missed, if not planning to play them. For me, I'm invested in Kiryu especially, so 5 starting with him and having him in a new situation grabbed me. But they all sound good.

But call me crazy, I don't think going out of order would be that bad either. I pretty much get the gist of what would have happened in Yakuza 2, but I look forward to playing Kiwami 2 after 6, even though I'll know where it's going. Since the journey, and plus side stories and funny details, are what it's about more than where the plot of each individual game ends up I think. So if you wanna play 6 when it's out for that new game excitement, and I know I do, could always go out of order.

4 and 5 fuckin' own. Even 3 is really good but it has some technical jankiness. One thing I will say is that the overall story for 3 is the shortest of them all if you just want to run through it. 4 and 5 fuckin' rule and are worth playing.

5 is a bit of a mixed bag because the overall story is fragmented and weak, but the actual moment to moment writing and little situations in it are fantastic, it has *GREAT* heat moves (and a lot of the ones that aren't new are more intense due to better camera angle usage in this game) too along with some of the best ones from 2 and 4 and IMO the best combat in the series besides 6, which you can tell they built off of 5. Not just for the moves but also the way the combat is paced. In 5 you get into a lesser number of fights, but against a much larger number of weaker enemies. Each character's story being so short is bad, but sort of helps the combat because you level up and get tons of awesome moves really fast so you just completely steamroll dudes and it's very cathartic. It's also technically impressive, they found a way to get really large crowds and traffic and stuff working in the engine that noticeably surpasses that in any other game except Kiwami 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8FNeNn24IY

So even if a lot of people do find it to be a weaker one in the main series, it's still a straight up great game in general.

The only other thing I'm not too crazy about with 5 is the way that many of its mini-games are worked a bit into the main story, so if you absolutely hate one of them that can be a pain. I liked Saejima's the most because it was the most actually developed and you could also just leave and it and continue the story whenever once everything is shown to you.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 6, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The slot car game sucks because you get a billion different parts and possible configurations but have to do all of the scripted races that require very specific builds to unlock being able to actually edit the track which is the only reason to have so many parts in the first place.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

punchymcpunch posted:

actually it rules because your car flies off the track and then kiryu acts like its the worst day of his life

I really do love that. We're now going on thirteen years of these games, so much drama, so much action, so many friends made and lost and so much death around him.

But going by his actions the two worst days in Kiryu's life are when Rikiya - a guy he's known for like a week - dies in Yakuza 3 and when he loses at Pocket Circuit. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

gyrobot posted:

It was over a span of six months for the events of Yakuza 3 and thus have plenty of time to share stories and spar. So to Kiryu, Rikiya was someone who reminded him when he was young and a time before Nishikiyama take the downward spiral. To him Rikiya dying was seeing the life he tried to live fall apart again.

To him Pocket Fighter is one of the those few civilian friends that he can turn to after several years in the joint abandoned by everyone.

Both instances are goofy as hell. :)