Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

precision posted:

Make sure to do the Survey everyone. It's a button panel right next to the one for Manual under the Start Menu icon. It's short and literally has options to let them know "I bought this game because I love Yakuza and I have bought all of them and will continue to buy all of them". You can write in stuff too like "Gio Corsi marry me". :v:

Thanks for this, would've missed it. Took 5 minutes and I'm happy to let them know they're exceeding my wildest dreams about Yakuza localization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Pretty sure I convinced a financially responsible friend to buy a PS4 thru a stream of me doing the bicycle HEAT moves followed by karaoke Judgement. Their little outfits halfway thru are perfectly 80s.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

My experience with Amon is always the same: initial reaction of HOLY gently caress THIS IS BULLSHIT, followed by learning his pattern while feeling tension due to the consumables burned to get to that point, then finishing him off and proclaiming NEVER AGAIN.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Chexoid posted:

Holy gently caress did they actually get Lenne Hardt for this? Persona 5 has its work cut out for it.

Wow what

I put Yakuza on pause because I'm super happy with Nioh, but this is something else to look forward to.

(also for folks who haven't played it - Nioh owns bones, it's like Bloodborne/Souls but more customizable and the early parts are a bit more accessible while still being difficult).

isk
Oct 3, 2007

I also would prefer renovation. Audience is focused and inclusive, and it's good for newcomers to know where to go for Yakuza anything.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

I jokingly wished for that a couple weeks ago. Moments like these are worth reiterating that Gio Corsi is the granter of dreams.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

...dozo.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

RandallODim posted:

This is great news, but also, to help those odds you can fill in the Kiwami purchaser survey (which you can do even if you haven't bought Kiwami, you lying unsupportive scumbag): https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScaE21WJ-iKMNaV1HN9KFqP2xToutQQgfoCW5lsAoxsmGcWjw/viewform

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Found out that Yakuza Fan has a pretty good selection of shirts at Teepublic. Bought the Youthful Feeling in classic, may buy a few others if the fit is right.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

SpacePig posted:

Sayama is alive, but I think some sub-stories suggest that her post-Kiryu existence has been miserable.

Same

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Adun posted:

Somehow I've played Yakuza off and on for ten years and it took until now for me to start using Tiger Drop. Good lord it is over-powered in Kiwami

Holy poo poo. Been playing since 3 and Tiger Drop is my mainstay in every game.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

"NANI?" is my go-to when something spectacular happens in TV, movies, or videogames. Almost did it during opening night of The Last Jedi when (near the end) everything goes quiet as Holdo warps thru the dreadnaught.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Millenium Tower is made entirely of rubber.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Finally digging thru 0 after leaving it hanging at Ch 2 for months, currently in Ch 10. Can I just say how good the sound is in this game? Not that it's a surprise, but the music is amazing (especially the track that plays during the Kuze fights) and the sound effects in fights are basically ASMR. Body Counters and Essence of Finishing Blows all day.

isk fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 10, 2018

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Agreed. Cool with continuing this thread for all things Yakuza but Shenmue should get a separate thread.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

Sega put out a survey to gauge the reactions for Yakuza 6. Here's the thing, though: they also put a question asking if people would be willing to buy the Fist of North Star game. If you are, then you should answer the survey ASAP if you want to give its possible localization a chance.

Danaru posted:

Eleven pages?! :shepface: God drat they're not making it easy, but also I REALLY loving want that FotNS game

EDIT: Now that I've reached the end, you should REALLY fill out this form. Just trust me. There's a surprise.

They had a similar survey following Y0/Y5 (maybe others?). I remember answering questions about the real estate chicken. On top of the rad surprise at the end, it really helps them when folks do the surveys.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Hell yes.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

As I was posting in the Y6 thread about the music in Y0, I realize I should come in here and say I beat Y0. Enjoyed it all the way through. Normally prequels aren't my thing but this is so well done and I'm glad that SEGA noticed the sales & fan reactions. It's a little strange reconciling the strong image of Majima in the series proper and this one where he's by turns a super classy cabaret manager and something indescribable in 24 Hour Cinderella, but it works. Highly, highly recommended.

Still can't get over how good the music is in Y0. Digging the stuff in Y6 but I'd say this is the peak in the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6AuvA-tl3Y

They really build up Kuze (just as the music builds and builds) as this absolute badass (endgame) and the nods of how Kiryu eventually respects and then quietly emulates him in the epilogue and beyond are A+. I look forward to fighting him every time, and the music's a major part.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

HellCopter posted:

I know the Yakuza games save a ton of money via advertising, but the Rizap Gym minigame dialogue was a bit on-the-nose.
Are the Gains ever worth it? It seems like it gave barely any EXP at all.

Sorta. Each routine empties your stomach so you can eat more, and you get a nice pile of XP after 12 sessions.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

I'd kill for a machinima of Kiryu doing the "OH poo poo... I'm okay" bit.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

TheCenturion posted:

The other thing that really jumped out at me was how much better the proportions are in the new version; Goda's head is wee tiny on the PS2.

Yep! One of the first things I noticed in Y6 is that everyone's hands are normal sized for once. Didn't mind it before but the change is immediately apparent.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

signalnoise posted:

So here's my question- Given I really really wanna dive right back into it, but I don't have Yakuza 2 (or a functioning PS2 anymore) and Yakuza Kiwami 2 is months away, would the story suffer enough jumping to 3 that I will regret it?

Nah, there's a comprehensive cutscene/story recap of 1-2 at the start of 3. Some of the cool moments will feel less cool because you're watching them but it'll likely be better experiencing them in Kiwami 2 later.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Doc Morbid posted:

The original tweet is protected so I can't see it, but of course we all know Awano is all about getting his groove on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txcVMXzRNoQ

Didn't expect to dig Japanese Patrick Duffy this much, but here we are.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

It's not, no. Ended up enjoying it more than I expected. Would recommend it for the story. Outside of that, real estate is much better for money.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

goddamnit

isk
Oct 3, 2007

HOLY poo poo

isk
Oct 3, 2007

To each their own - I was bad at the Disco minigame until I wasn't. It's a bit like Rock Band in that the lower difficulties are tougher for most folks because the inputs don't intuitively match the rhythm of the song. Beyond that, it's just putting in some extra steps before each beat and nailing the super.

In the final danceoff for Isobe, I had a not great performance but won by 50 points. It's easier than it seems at first.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

mp5 posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/638970/Yakuza_0/

Kiwami and 0 are coming to PC, 0 is out in August.

Today is killing me in the best way

isk
Oct 3, 2007

:thatsrad:

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Oh by the way, new Kiwami 2 trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cWco_dOS8I

Comes out a week after Shenmue 1&2 HD... :sigh:

ahh poo poo!! wasn't ready for manly tears right now but okay

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Came for Judgement, stayed for 24 Hour Cinderella

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Kuze is a rude early awakening to players new to the series - but really every first boss is. More tips for new players:

Keep practicing the dodges, especially to the side so you can hit an unprotected area. Be ready to dodge out of partial combos, especially when the boss starts blocking. Play more conservatively when the boss goes into HEAT mode, but use your HEAT actions during that time when they're available. Keep an eye out for weapons and other objects in the area as well.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Sindai posted:

You really only need to know one thing to deal with every Yakuza boss: never just try to do a full combo to them from the front, after two or three hits they will stop flinching and interrupt you almost without fail. This will happen faster and more frequently at the 50% health mark when they power up.

Instead, wait for them to attack, dodge while holding R1 so you automatically go around them in a circle, and punch them in the back. Repeat until you win.

This ignores the HELL YEAH feeling of Tiger Dropping a boss with Kiryu, as well as stunlocking a goon with Majima and his nunchaku bat

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Finally loaded up the PC version. Had some funkiness involving directional inputs but resolved after a couple reboots. Game runs like a dream otherwise, and for $20 I'll gladly take a few bugs for getting Yakuza on PC. Save Anywhere rules and Body Counters/Tiger Drops are still satisfying.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

The tldr on Shakedown is to alternate wins and losses, wrecking him with Zap Guns.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

You can miss absolutely nothing during the game outside of some optional achievements, full stop. You might not be able to do certain activities or substories at certain points in the story, but you'll always be able to go back and do stuff. (For series newcomers, beating the game gives you access to a sandbox mode, where you can carry over your save and wander around doing minigames and completing whatever activities and sidequests you had left to your hearts' content.)

Martian Manfucker posted:

this is a big relief.

To add: the sandbox mode also lets you switch between characters, change the time of day, and swap a few different outfits.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

At that time it was around 125 Yen = 1 USD. Quick way is to take a value you see in Y0, then estimate what 80% of that is, then remove 2 decimals.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Frog Act posted:

So whats up with Bob the Clown by the shrine and should I take all the stuff he has? if I get up and walk away from him will he still have the stuff and be there later?

Yes and yes. Clowns have a different meaning in Japan. It's just free poo poo you can have whenever.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

It really is different though.

1) First Yakuza game on PC
2) It's not full price
3) Issues aren't uncommon but are also not widespread
4) Bethesda's finances and PC resources are considerably different than Sega's

Like it's totally fine to feel frustrated but it's a false comparison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Did they really miss these issues, or did they run out of time while fixing issues we never saw at release (b/c they were fixed)?

Tech issues suck. They're super disempowering and discouraging. They're also usually more complicated than they seem.