Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I've been jumping back and forth between y0 and y6 and hooboy the differences in some of the minigames trips me up.

Also there really ought to be a yakuza megathread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

a primate posted:

How far along should I be in real estate for any given point in the story? I just got a warning from Tachibana that I might need some money soon in Chapter 6. I only have leisure king stuff right now, is that ok?.

I went nuts with the business minigames and as Kiryu fought Kuze in the sewers using the Dragon of Dojima style. On a similar note, as Majima I fought Wen Hai Lee in the warehouse with the Mad Dog of Shimano style.

So I'm not really a great judge of that stuff, but since engaging in the business stuff is entirely optional and you don't need all the cash and stat unlocks to progress, I'm sure you'll be fine if you keep a bag full of healing items.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

a primate posted:

Ok, cool. I’ll keep real estate-ing then since I’m really enjoying it!

Thanks to overdoing it as Majima, I even got to have a mirror match psycho knife fight later on, it's great.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

widespread posted:

And I think I had takoyaki once some days ago, despite eating plenty of octopus balls in 0.

Not sure what to expect outta it, just felt like fried stuff with a bit of octopus in it.

Yeah it's basically just a ball of fried batter with mayo, worcestershire sauce, and tuna flakes on top with like a single chunk of octopus inside and it owns.

No wonder it's so popular, you can't really go wrong with just plain frying a ball of batter.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Caitlin posted:

it's not worcestershire, it's generally specifically takoyaki sauce (worcestershire is an ingredient though in homemade stuff). it's much sweeter and thicker. extremely similar to okonomiyaki sauce. generally have red ginger in em. I'm a fan.

Oh, my b

It is indeed delicious though.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

YAKUZA (Fifth Yakuza Thread, Something Awful Family)

I'm gonna go ahead and :bandwagon: this

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, I don’t get why they’re doing a whole new protagonist for the next game when they have Akiyama already.

For real

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

MrJacobs posted:

Because he has nothing to do with the organization the series is named after.

Have him start a new local baseball team

The Sky Finance Dragons

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Lol I'm glad it was wasn't just me

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

FLY LIKE A BEAUTIFUL BUTTERFLY

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

GANDHITRON posted:

To celebrate the new thread, what are everyone's favorite Yakuza karaoke songs? I personally memorized the words to Baka Mitai when I was at work.

I love the timing of our posts

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

GANDHITRON posted:

I like Like A Butterfly, but Today Is A Diamond is definitely the best song in 6.

When you're right you're right

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I've yet to play y3-5 but I clicked on a video where Akiyama sings Baka Mitai and I'm all whoa

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Frog Act posted:

I've wanted to play these forever so I'm pretty stoked, I just hope I don't get owned brutally like in Sleeping Dogs where I couldn't beat teh driving segments for some reason.

also general question, are there tangible benefits to devoting time to the minigames and side things this series is so famous for?

Usually, though I think it depends on the game itself. I've only played y0 and y6 and both reward messing around with minigames in various ways.

I am pretty sure you're safe from driving segments in this series too.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

HellCopter posted:

The minigames give money and experience points which you can get just fine elsewhere. There's not really any unique rewards for doing the side stuff, they generally are their own reward.

I know y0's Completion Point system incentivizes at least getting decent at the various minigames, among other things, if you wanted to check out some of the higher-tier perks.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You're in luck, yakuza sports minigames actually own.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

If you're new like I was a few months ago and having trouble with Kuze, remember you can buy healing items from stores. I recommend the pharmacy but convenience stores and don quijote also works.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Everything is always open (when you can freeroam, which isn't always obvious), but actual stores and minigame places you can enter are marked by different colors on your minimap.

On another note, I've had a weird issue on my end in replaying this on PC, and that's my ps4's gamepad face buttons are all hosed up outside of the keybind menu. Except for Triangle, everything's been moved one step clockwise. Like on the keybind menu I set dodge/OK to A (X on dualshock), light attack to X (Square), and Grab to B (O). Outside of the keybind menu, Dodge is square, light attack is O, and grab is X.

I had to set it so that Dodge is O, light attack is X, and grab is square, to map the controls back to where they "should" be.

Also I'm getting no sound whatsoever.

Runa fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 2, 2018

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I figure it's just me needing to figure poo poo out with DS4Windows but man, i don't want to use a 360 pad.

Like remembering to turn it on :negative:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

I have never ever ever received any sort of prompt, obvious doorway, identifier or anything on any wall of any colored building at any time so far. I've looked.

I want to like Yakuza, I do! But boy am I angry and frustrated.

I must be misremembering some bits, because I went to check the stairwell down to the shogi parlor during the "go to Toko Credit" part but I couldn't. But I could go into the pharmacy right in front of toko credit, and I can go to restaurants.

Runa fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 2, 2018

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

? the game has native ds4 support, touchpad included

well in that case I'll turn it off

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Really, the only thing that I've got left to deal with is the fact that the game doesn't recognize my ds4 dpad inputs, everything else I've worked around or managed to stumble onto it working. I can get around that by just hitting my keyboard when i want to switch fighting styles but that's not exactly a perfect solution.

I could also not be a real yakuza and just use kbm, and tbh the only thing im actually worried about is minigames on the keyboard. Because karaoke uses ijkl for inputs and im worried the dance minigame will too.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

widespread posted:

Meanwhile, I decided to clear out Fei Hu's Training. The last one with the katana training AND the question about what style he used afterwards. I was like "IS THAT A FOOKIN ISHIN REFERENCE". :allears:

I was still pretty new to the series when I beat the slugger training, but after digging around about the other games the reference just clicked.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I was so hyped for the chance to finally type out Subotenuhigeukiro with a keyboard but man

come on now, game, I mean really

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I just got the CTD in the middle of a whole bunch of pocket circuit racing

my customizations...

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Does the 100 million yen from Bob break the game much? Or any of their other gifts?

No, it's basically just seed money. If you check the outer rings of the sphere grids they all cost like 1 billion yen each for kiryu, or 500 mil each for majima. And hooboy, are there a lot of them.

Note that is is eventually possible to have enough money to break the game wide open, even more than just playing normally with an inventory full of staminan drinks. It involves cheesing the gently caress out of Mr. Shakedown fights since they drop a billion or more each go if you beat them enough times.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm going to break the limits on the Dragon of Dojima style well before I'm finished with Chapter 2 but I'll probably need to actually play as Majima a bit before I can afford a Golden Pistol.

Also, for obvious reasons I can't actually use the style yet.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I just assumed my controller issues were due to conflicts between it and my wacom drivers and I'm somewhat reassured that I'm not the one with the worst case here.

Basically on my end the gamepad is fine for everything except, strangely, being unable to use the dpad to change styles and being near impossible to parse my weird mashed-together workarounds during rhythm minigames. In both cases, the keyboard works fine.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Pierson posted:

You say this but the second the cabaret gets unlocked the story of intrigue, backstabbing and eternal struggle that is Yakuza will absolutely be taking a backseat to me taking down the Five Unholy Cabaret Kings.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

For Kamoji's training I just waited till I could unlock the dodge upgrades (distance, etc.) in the Rush tree and kept spamming dodges. You can do up to three in a row and if you keep locking on to the attacker with R1 you can easily sidestep any of their attacks.

On PS4 I waited till I'd broken the rest of the game wide open before actually doing the mentor stuff. Surprisingly, it's possible to make it so you're too strong, especially for Miss Tatsu's Training.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm pretty sure the earliest you can craft the Zap Gun is in chapter 4 if you know where to look in the agent dispatch minigame, and after you do you can buy a bunch of duplicates from the weapon store.

This is important, because (I guess spoilers on how to break the game over your knee?) with an inventory full of Zap Guns you can run roughshod over Mr. Shakedowns, and Kiryu can get a Battle CP passive that increases the amount of money he gets from Mr. Shakedowns by 50% of their stated value. If Kiryu gets a bunch of money and then deliberately loses to a Mr. Shakedown, he can not only get back all of the money he lost, but the passive bonus applies too. Meaning it's possible to deliberately lose 10 billion yen to a Mr. Shakedown and get back 15 billion when you beat him later. And then do it again to multiply your money further. Note that each city has two Mr. Shakedowns that rotate between each other so if you lose your money to one, you'll need to beat the other to rotate him out if you want to get your money back.

There is also no reason whatsoever to shatter the difficulty curve like this but you can if you really, really want to.

Frog Act posted:

holy poo poo lmao

the quest where you have to get the videogame back for the little kid is hilariously well written. though i got a little dissonance when i got shot for the first time in the game so far by...the kids dad, who apologized to me afterwards and it was all cool

Now equip the sword you got from that substory

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Beast is all about picking up rando weapons off the ground mid-swing, if you're not doing that the recovery animations for all of its combos and triangle finishers are just way too punishing. But when you can, it mops up large groups of mobs really decisively. Turns out it's hard to block a big ol' store sign being swung at you by a human bulldozer. Beast also has really satisfying throws you can do when you grab someone, and to be honest sometimes grabbing them is faster and easier than trying for a haymaker punch or shuffling over to a random pinecone or bicycle. Also you can go straight into really badass-looking Heat Actions from a grab, one of which is a sweeping throw that takes out multiple people if you happen to be near three or more enemies.

Rush is really strong 1v1 but has almost no crowd control and no really convenient Heat Actions to keep the heat off you like the other styles do, but has unparalleled dodge mobility. The ability to quickstep three times in a row is really strong when combined with R1/spacebar lockon. It's your go-to "I need to dismantle this boss safely" style if you're not in a room full of furniture or whatever. There's also some neat unlockable gimmicks you can get for Rush style involving brass knuckles, or using punishers of your own. L1 for Rush isn't a true "block," it's a weave that functions a little like a timed parry in that it opens the enemy up for a rush combo punisher if you manage to successfully pull it off. You can also unlock the ability to L1 weave to recover quickly from being hit and, again, open up a combo, basically removing the timing aspect of it. The lack of Heat Actions means you basically can't let your guard down, though, and all of the upgrades are mostly focused on making you even better and more slippery in duels.

Brawler feels the more generic style to start with and doesn't really take off, imo, until you get its locks cleared and you can start moving into the 500mil/1bil yen upgrade tiers, but a drunken master kiryu is arguably even more of a wrecking ball than Kiryu's 4th style, albeit still slower. It also has a lot of Heat Actions you can pull off easily, and you can use picked-up weapons without also being slow as heck. Which also have Heat Actions. Importantly, if your punches keep getting interrupted, Brawler has built in Counterattacks (you can see them happen if Kiryu gets hit and flashes red, as that's your opportunity to hit Square or Triangle to counter) that let you easily punish simple jabs with powerful followups. And if you progress a little further and unlock Bacchus' training, he can teach you how to charge up Brawler Counters so that they do more damage and also knockdown enemies. Brawler counters have super armor, as it were, and can't be interrupted except by a knockdown or stun. And high-tier Brawler can prevent stuns while drunk.

Kiryu's 4th style is unlocked from completing his business sidequest chain and it kicks a lot of rear end being stronger than Rush and much faster than Brawler, with a variety of grabs, finishers, and Heat Actions. The only thing that Brawler has that it doesn't is the drunken master passives. And I am pretty sure the 4th style has a budget version of his Tiger Drop counter from the other games (that he chronologically hasn't learned yet), but it uses up Heat meter which means you can't just whip out an instant-KO on a rando baddie that jumps you.

Runa fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Aug 4, 2018

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

isk posted:

It's Brawler that has the renamed Tiger Drop (called Body Counter), and imo it's the main reason to use that style. Body Counter is the poo poo against bosses.

Strangely enough, Majima gets a move called Tiger Drop that's a counter backhand, and it rules against bosses as well.

Oh huh

Yeah Brawler's where it's at then.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Majima: "Only an idiot would get into a ring with a tiger bare-handed."

Kiryu:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

John Luebke posted:

Did you get the charismatic biography and perhaps equip it? The item description is a bit vague, but it basically turns the game into super special hard mode, making enemies a LOT more aggressive.

Oh, is that what that does? I got one from a dream machine and never put it on, because why would i ever take off my card and fight sensors.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Just finished chapter 2.

The opening cutscene for ch3 started to get a bit on my nerves, "yeah, this guy is cool, I get it. I'm gonna feel really good when I beat him up at the end of the chapter or whatever."

Then I got put in control. This is a neat game!

Majima is incredibly good

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Yeah I am 100% buying future games on Steam, or PS4 if I have to. I bounced off the combat a bit initially but now that I let go of "the best way to fight is to not take damage" it's a lot more fun.

ETA: Oh come on, right after I posted that I rebooted my PC and lost my last save data, so I'm back two hours. Why you gotta do that right after I praise you, game?

Yeowch

Yeah, I've started making multiple copies of my most recent progress. I haven't run into that exact problem yet but you can't be too sure.

Onmi posted:

That gif is from Yakuza 2

To be fair, Kiwami 2 is coming over pretty soon isn't it?

But still, crazy out-of-context gifs are probably the best kind of spoiler, especially with a series like this.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yakuza 0's story is real good y'all

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah baseball in y6 is so much better it's not even funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Policenaut posted:

Yakuza 5's baseball is the best but that's 90% because Shinada is actually a baseball player so they give you the full suite of options and UI like a MLB The Show game to accommodate you. It's nuts.

Now I feel like I missed out