Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I just beat the game, and it was loving amazing.
However, I have what is probably the dumbest question for this situation. Are there any tips for combat?
I did almost everything on my first run, but as soon as I got to the secret bosses and coliseum, I realized that enemies improved dramatically. Regular goons and even bosses I've defeated no problem mostly because they almost never defended. When it comes to optional encounters, however, I feel like I'm missing something. I don't know whether to dodge, defend or just hit the enemy and if I should stick to some styles in some cases. Majima's Amon in particular wrecked me. I kept chipping away at his health, but as soon as he got to 2nd form, he just killed me. Not that other Amon was better, but there I can probably just see when he dizzies me to dodge his death beam, I guess
Also, would you recommend to upgrade the 4th style? I dunno how much boost it gives, but if it boosts attack as much as it does health - and that seems to be literally one pixel - I want to know if I'm wasting money.

Vookatos fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Caitlin posted:

At that point in the game you should practically be making GBS threads money so there's no reason NOT to upgrade your fighting style, whether or not you feel like the upgrades are tangible. What else are you gonna do with a billion dollars?

As for fighting in general, do a lot of lock on, wait for them to attack, dodge and whiff punish. That is VERY general advice mind you.
Honestly even that is enough, because I forgot game had a lock-on button somewhere down the line. Holding R1 for some reason is not really comfortable for me, so I ditched it and forgot it existed. I've never played any brawler games so I never got how to play them, and yeah, even that's fine, because I had no idea if I should dodge or defend etc. Guess I'll try to get everything (maybe aside from full competion list, I don't really want to learn weird japanese minigames) on my second run

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Going through Yakuzas 3-5, just beat 4. Was curious enough, got Judgment, and while it seems amazing what the gently caress is this hud. Map is straight up unreadable! I’m guessing there’s no way to fix it? Small font with white letters on often bright orange is so hard to look at

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

I had the same problem, I'm slightly colorblind and it's insanely bad. They outdesigned themselves trying to stylize everything to look like phone app stuff. The worst is when you set a way point, I can BARELY see the green path on the map. Basically that and the tailing missions are the only thing that hurt the game to me.

Yeah, I'm not even colorblind, and it's godawful. They also use smaller subtitle font, or maybe thinner black outline, so sometimes subs are hard to read. Still, I'm more interested in this game than Yakuza 5 at this point, so I'll keep going.
Y4 was neat, definitely better than Y3 in terms of side content and humor, but I'm not sure about multiple characters deal. Yakuza's always been about doing what you want at any given point, so seeing it go from that to "You can only do certain things during one part and right at the end" hurt the game for me. Also, that cop dude was super boring.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Man, Yakuza 5 sure goes for quantity over quality in its fights, eh? I'm up to Part 4, and I think there was only one proper boss battle against The Bear, with all others being like 6-100 guys.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Replaying Judgment, and totally forgot how it has a loving Silent Hill 2 reference with an imposing figure behind bars at the end of the hallway in a hotel dungeon, except it's a giant BDSM man with a bare rear end.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Finished Judgment recently. I never really get way into those games' battle systems, but this Amon felt rougher than those I've seen. FPS on PS4 just comes to a crawl sometimes, and you're lucky if you can see anything during those moments.

Like a Dragon and Judgment both shine thanks to finally giving main characters a party. Kiryu was a bit of a loner, and seeing all the interactions now, especially after writers have become more experienced, rules so much. Kaito, Sugiura, and Ichi's team are all great (even if some characters are weaker than others)

For whatever reason I decided to go back to Kiwami, and hoo boy it's rough. All the sidestories are just "you got scammed!" that sometimes have a new and exciting element of transphobia, and the main story really doesn't hold up. It's hard to believe this game was originally made before 0 because the amount of info it casually dumps on you is insane.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Getting through all the substories in newer games is pretty fun and not that difficult, but if you were to actually 100% those games, good loving luck I guess. It's not impossible, but at some point, you will certainly reach something that you do just for grinding, and I don't see much fun in that.

Considering most minigames also repeat from game to game, this just becomes boring. As some minor NPC from Judgment says, I've got no idea why batting cages are still where they are, considering they've been in every single game sometimes in addition to long baseball questlines (by the way, nice job not explaining how baseball works, Yakuzas 5 and 6).

Regarding substories, I will say that I think LAD and 0 share the first place. 0 has probably my favorite dumb joke of "Ah well, back to the statue", but 7 also has a lot: pissman, vacuum cleaner, masochist man, baby quest,, BELIEVE IN YOURSELF, circus, etc.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

I can't imagine recasting the next game in the series with a new main character would be an insurmountable obstacle. It's not like the Yakuza series hasn't had multiple characters and it did just fine.

While totally possible, every instance of characters being recast wasn't done mid-series before. It's either before the release or for the rerelease.
It loving sucks and I hope they find a way around it too, because the cast is too great.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Gotta say, not a fan of Lost Judgment so far. Not going to put spoiler tags because it's pretty vague.
It's fine, in the same way as some of the older Yakuzas are, but more modern games (0, 7, Judgment) usually have way better writing.

There are some great little character moments, but I think I'm on chapter 6 and I feel like I've done nothing but went back and forth, and abuse a poor woman into talking to me. Even now I still have the save where the next goal is "wait until she gets back and question her MORE". By this time in Judgment you were in court, had some very personal and serious reasons for taking on the case, and had discovered another corpse.

Here you do stuff based on events that happened years ago. The person I wanted to protect is dead. The person whose rear end I wanted to kick is dead. Another person who people are looking for is dead. I'm just not as invested in all of this.

I'm glad that we had a mini-twist at the end of I think chapter 5 because it was a really easy one and both me and my husband predicted it. It's... Pretty problematic

Squirrels are a really fun alternative to safes and keys, and I'm curious to see what the school clubs will bring, but holy poo poo, I kinda hope your one source of info will be killed so that plot can evolve because this is old Paper Mario levels of going from A to B and back and back again.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Yeah, I hit Chapter 7, but I still feel like it's quite damning when my first thought was I'm glad she's dead because now Yagami will have to get info another way.

Sawa wasn't a bad character, but holy poo poo getting those bits and pieces of info she was willing to share was annoying.

More intrigued now, and can't wait to see more minigames opening up.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I don't remember if the food system worked the same way in Judgment, but in Lost, it's super easy to grind money by eating at places that offer food with Yen symbols and then running around the drone race place collecting shinies. If you're lucky and an eatery had 3-4 menu items with Treasure+ properties, you'll get Plat Plates fairly regularly.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
6 is fine and feels like a better realized 3 in many ways, with its more personal story and small-town Yakuza.
It definitely felt rough being the first of the Dragon Engine games, but overall I think it was better than 3 and 4. 5, too, if we just count stories.

In general, it's kind of insane how good Yakuza suddenly got with its plots. 4 has the meme plot twist, but I'd argue 3 is far worse about it. 5 is just forgettable, but then you get some actually great stories with 0, 6, and LaD. Props to the writer, that's a helluva jump in quality from "uh this guy has a twin and the bad guy is so forgettable you might not remember him when he shows up at the end of the game he's featured in"

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Kojiro posted:

It's a decent game overall but it's stand-out lovely in its treatment of women, and that's for a series with a pretty terrible track record.
Can you remind me why? I've played it in a marathon after 3, 4, 5 and Judgement and the last one is the only one I've replayed since, so at this point every game from the middle of the series just blends together.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Kojiro posted:

Re; LAD twin sister stuff, I still believe the theory that they wrote Saeko as a sex worker and then someone panicked and they foisted all that plot onto a barely-present sister at the last possible moment. Shame, since it would have really anchored her in that story way better.
That whole plotline is probably the weakest thing in LaD. Nothing about it makes sense. Why not just add the original lady to the party? The whole brothel with its boss who's introduced like a huge rear end in a top hat but then I guess we have to admit he just cared for the ladies and was just worked up? I guess it could work if he wasn't in like 1,5 scenes.
It's weird because otherwise the game's politics kinda rule, especially among the endless centrist shonens like Persona that can't even decide if being gay is ok or a mortal sin.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think some Japanese devs have a very difficult time characterising female characters outside particular niches like 'cute kid', 'hardass with a soft centre' and 'tragic love interest' out of writing laziness and being terrified that showing too many human traits in a female characters will have the loud weirdos in the audience screaming at them for sullying their waifu, or not wanting to play a character who's explicitly been a sex worker, and so on. Or could just be the common thing where they really just don't know how to write female characters outside those particular niches and are prone to panic about it.
Honestly, who even knows. Ichiban's mom was a sex worker, and the game deals with treating people with decency and respect, so I dunno if devs are that afraid of Japanese chuds.
Although I do wish that at least one of our party members was gay or bi, because while Yakuza touches on the subject sometimes, it'd be cool to have a person like that in a party. Of course not like we know who Joon g-Han or Zhao like, but with secondary characters being way more important now I'd love for himbo Ichiban to bumblingly support a trans person or something

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

the ending of yakuza 7 burned me even worse than lost judgment because i hadn't fully checked out by then, despite it getting steadily worse from the tojo clan's reintroduction onward. ichiban spends hours sweating blood to give aoki his due, contrives an impossible plot with a literal shapeshifting man (truly awful contrivance, up there with the rubber bullets), and then aoki stands broken and fully receptive to a proper comeuppance and serving his time, only to gets shivved anyway. waste of my time! gently caress you!!

the perfunctory way it dealt with horinouchi was just another kick in the balls on the way out, it's like they had no idea what to do with him after his first couple of introductory scenes. LAD had plenty of high points but it was seriously sloppy even by this series' broad standards

I dunno, I've enjoyed the weird man from Y7, but I suppose I just like dumb poo poo, and that was hella dumb.
As for Aoki, it's really just irony of him raising a lovely rear end in a top hat who thinks he's the only correct one in the world and that anyone who slightly disobeys the morals of the law should be deported or jailed
Horinouchi plot however really went nowhere, but I still consider Y7 to be my favorite story in the series. Its tone is much more enjoyable for me and I'm glad Yakuza's sudden shift into a jRPG allowed secondary characters to shine. In most Yakuzas I can't even remember secondary characters unless they appear for more than one game.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Personally I couldn't finish Ishin. It just kinda lost me on the way. Doesn't help that the backport to PS4 is ugly and loads way too long for a game that looks no better and is no bigger than LaD. I feel like maybe if I had a different version I could've gotten through it, but with this year being what it is, ToTK pulled me in, and then a hundred more games came out. However, looking back at it now, I'm just not motivated to go back that much.

As for Kiwami 1, I consider it to be the worst mainline Yakuza. I generally think that we're in the best period for Yakuza games and that the newer ones: 0, Judgment, LaD have the best writing in the series. K1 isn't a step up from 0, and would probably be too confusing for me to play if I haven't touched 0, so it kinda feels like a crappy beginning and a fairly middling follow-up. I also think it's the only game that doesn't do the tonal shift right and that Majima Everywhere ends up being a poor system in a game where he's a way more serious character (who also iirc spends some of the plot in a hospital). Also I believe you beat the poo poo out of a trans woman in that one? Yeesh.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

ShimaTetsuo posted:

i just played that part a few days ago, there's (at least) two substories like that actually:

- the one where it's a brother-sister pair that are trying to scam kiryu, and both are trans. That fact is indeed played for laughs, which is problematic, but at least he doesn't beat them up because they're trans.
I've only played YLAD, 0 and now K1, but you can definitely feel that RGG has a very specific problem with depicting the hero having to fight cis women and will do whatever it takes to avoid doing that.
Obviously it's not JUST transphobia, but it's still weird that it was retained considering Yakuza 3 remaster took out the "lol trans predator" sidestories. That said, thankfully they avoid doing it after K1 by just not having women to fight at all, and not by including trans women, unless I'm misremembering something.
Honestly, after LaD they can easily get a boss woman to beat up considering they have a great formula of just putting the guy you're fighting in a bulldozer.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

LeFishy posted:

I'm sure this happens a lot in this thread but I am trying very hard to get into these games in some way but playing 7 games with brawler combos I have to remember is daunting.

I've restarted 0 maybe 4 or 5 times now because every time I put it down I forget completely how to play so I'm wondering if skipping straight to LaD(s on tour) is an acceptable thing to do?

My argument is that turn based things are easier to recall on the spot than brawler buttons/combos but maybe I'm talking poo poo.

I love the tone/vibe of 0 and what I've seen of the rest of the series but I hear that there are a few low points in the game and 0 is actually the peak of the pre-lad games so maybe I'm just approaching it completely incorrectly in the first place.

As others have mentioned, this isn't Bayonetta or DMC, you don't need to remember anything. You've got three buttons for weak hit, stronger hit and grab.
Of course, you're free to play however you want, and LaD is quite newcomer-friendly. It makes some references to previous games in the story, but I feel like they're understandable enough so you don't have to worry.
If you feel like you're gravitating towards it, go for it, because otherwise, yeah, people don't really like 3-4 and are split on remake of 1 since it's pretty clear that its tone was from a different time and it's not as full of weird stuff.
As long as you're not playing them in a completely incorrect order, you're fine.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I didn't really enjoy 4 and 5 because for a series that usually lets you go at your own pace having multiple characters is restricting. Knowing that you should finish side-content or you won't be allowed to play it until the very end is garbage.
I'd also argue that the storyline of 4 is better than 5, but that's only because garbage that doesn't make sense is much more entertaining than something extremely forgettable.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
This discussion about Dead Souls is super interesting. How exactly are the controls bad? Isn't it just the same game they made time and again but with zombies?
I figured it just didn't have enough content or something.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Omi no Kami posted:

It's the first Yakuza game that's pissed me off this much (or at all, really), and I haven't even gotten to gameplay. I love the earlier games so much, I'm seriously considering just giving 6 a miss instead of retroactively skunking the story as a whole. Is that reasonable, or does it pull up after the lackluster opening?
If something pissed you off - drop it. I think 6 is a better 3, but it's still rough in places. Small town rules and I wish we had more villages to explore in the series, but just like 3 was the first HD game, 6 was the first on a new engine, so it does feel raw sometimes. I think it has some wonderful minigames and the best caraoke song (Today is a Diamond) but some other activities and the overall story are fairly weak. Good vibes, but doesn't stick the landing.

We're getting two new Yakuzees soon and considering you've played LaD it's not like you'll spoil yourself.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
What the gently caress. I feel like this is gonna be the first game I'll put over 200 hours into on my first playthrough. Legit had to rewind the trailer to see if it's a new spinoff game

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
gently caress is this? Why hire a person who can't sing for a role that involves singing?

I'll actually defend Yakuza dubs, I've replayed 7 with a dub recently and I think it was pretty great. Ichiban's actor nails it and after first few hours it all felt right.
I mean, dubbed karaoke in 7 was also garbage but at least they didn't hire youtubers for no reason

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Sega decided that Russians can't buy their games on steam and I'm not about to buy the key for a short spin-off game for lots of money from some third party, so are there any good streamers to watch play through Gaiden?

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

History Comes Inside! posted:

Gamepass it? Or is that region locked too

Oh, good idea. It actually is region locked, but paying a little more for a third party to get it makes more sense if you get a bunch of games.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
On chapter 2 of Gaiden, likely towards the end, some thoughts:

- This feels like the most violent Yakuza title. Sure, others had various executions, but usually closed their eyes when it came to random NPCs blowing up, while this game acknowledges that coliseum fighters as well as those guys in one of the first scenes loving die
- Hostess stuff is hilarious in how awkward it is.
- Quite liking the more developed coliseum, but definitely feeling like this whole game is an apology to those who didn't like 7's combat. This entire game is fights. Thankfully it does seem to mix it up so far. Hell, the first dungeon had like 5 minibosses, but they were all unique and had weird weapons.
- Not sure if I feel Agent style, it seems to be made for upgrades while Yakuza style is good from the get-go, but it is fun to chuck cigarettes at people.
- The games seem to be getting more comedic in their main story which I approve of. The whole coliseum sequense was pretty hilarious.
- Good characters overall! I feel like there was time around games 4 and 5 where I couldn't tell you who anyone was WHILE playing the game. Writers gotten way better at it since 0.
- loving wild that it took almost 20 years for them to realize that players might like to dress up their characters outside of weird not-quite-new-game-plus mode.
- I was kinda against bringing Kiryu back and even thinking that I'd like it if they killed him in 8, but him trying to weasel out of the fight by saying how something is a meme makes me want him to live to a hundred since he seems to be getting stupider.
- Akame rules. Nice to see more cool ladies.
- I also think it's heavely implied that the guy you see in the first coliseum fight is bi since he's surrounded by ladies and pretty boys, which makes me want the series to have LGBT rep outside of Kiruy pointing at lesbians or trans people who appear for a second and going "I approve"

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
At the beginning of chapter 3 of Gaiden. I think this might be one of the better Yakuza stories. They fully embraced that people love silly poo poo, melodrama, and memorable characters. Much like 0 and 7 IF there is some conspiracy it seems to be not as important to the overall story and, again, if present, could be described in a few words.
I definitely think weaker Yakuza stories suffer from bloated plots trying to connect everything together and having massive casts. I have warm feelings towards 3, but I don't think anyone would defend its Kamurocho parts: the actual loving yakuza plot is the weakest part, and honestly it's Joji who should've become the meme instead of the rubber bullets. So much stupider.
4 and 5 IIRC had final battles where final bosses didn't even know WHY they were present where they were.

Although Gaiden's side-content is fairly middling. I like the new exploration mechanic where you grab stuff off the roofs. It keeps you looking up at all the pretty neon sights and surely advertisers are happier when you can place a shiny on top of the giant Uber Eats logo that I would've otherwise walked past without noticing because I would've been preoccupied with tiny keys on the ground in any other game.

Even if this game was DLC, I don't think shifting from 100 hours of jRPG to 20 hours of combat would be a good solution. It just becomes stale. So many substories are about kicking the poo poo out of people to the point where only a few have actual plots. And if you want to unwind, your other biggest choice is more fighting. Granted, coliseum is fun, but it seems grindy. I've got my platinum rank and unlocked some fights that number-wise seem around 5 times harder than the ones I did at the time when my fighters barely level up already.

Although even a middling Yakuza is still a Yakuza. I've recently played some other open-world games and I was struck by how samey everything was. Cyberpunk, Spider Man, some others, none had any minigames or activities that this series has. I'm a bit cranky about combat, but I've spent an hour playing poker today. If it were any other game my choices would be "find one of the collectibles that's likely already on the map" or "do another mission"

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Starting the final chapter.

I think writing Ichiban certainly helped writers a bit because I think this might be the most proactive Kiruy has been in his life. The moment where he sends a photo of him surrounded by women in chapter 4 in particular is very Ichiban and it rules.
I am still a bit bummed that there are like 5 actual substories and at least twice as much of "go beat the poo poo out of people" (3 golden samurais, 3 gangs with 2 stories each, now it seems I got the coliseum superbosses...) I usually don't finish in-game achievements for beating the poo poo out of people in activity log, and here I was done with both styles and 500 people on the street by chapter 3. Definitely think combat could've been a bit smaller of a focus.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Bussamove posted:

A lot of the weirdly rough edges in Gaiden (lack of substories, live action hostess stuff and how stiff it is, the kinda backslide in quality for the combat) made more sense when I learned it was developed in six goddamn months.

Oh. Well, that explains a lot. That said, I wouldn't mind FEWER substories, since half of them are kinda the same thing or are actively padding themselves by sending you to 3-7 spots around town for barely any reason.
And I don't mind FMV hostess stuff. It's really no different from looking at "porn" in 0, filming it in, I believe, K2 or typing "ITS GROWING" in 6.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Beaten the game. Won't repeat too much since my thoughts are largely the same: too much combat, but very enjoyable story with tons of memorable characters.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

ZCKaiser posted:

The story is great, but (ending spoilers) the sudden stabbing of Aoki just after Ichiban talked him down from killing himself, combined with the way they cut from him carrying him off to the credits then straight to the funeral, makes me think they're going to pull a "not really dead" with him.
I dunno, I kinda like it because not only does Yakuza loves to shank people right at the end, but Aoki did deserve it. I don't think a rich rear end in a top hat kid turned right-wing politician who built camps for immigrants can change, or even is deserving of anything. Inchiban is fairly naive, so story itself had to deal with him. Outside of his own actions, Aoki also created a lot of monsters, and it's fitting that one of them just offed him when Aoki turned out to be not good enough for some stupid worm man

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Some more Gaiden thoughts: It seems like one of the most violent Yakuzas with Kiryu straight-up shooting people, side characters dying and their deaths being confirmed, and Shishido getting some real hosed wounds that previously would've been just a splash of blood and knife model going into leg. Despite that, no one really important died? Weird. Although I gotta say, I have some pretty bad taste in my mouth from Shishido's ending as he might get something worse than death considering Nishitani is hinted at as being a rapist. On that note, I'd also prefer a more fleshed-out end scene for Akame, since she basically spends half the game as a menu, but is actually really cool

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
With Gaiden being short I'm not out-Yakuza'd yet so I've checked out some Yakuza content on the internet and I'm starting to think 5 might have the worst story out of all the games. It's great to play and has tons to do (although I'd argue splitting it into character chapters with no free switching until the end forces you to almost grind out side content), but the main story is just boring and every character is disappointing. Kiryu loving off, Saejima basically repeating his stuff from 4, Majima getting new and exciting backstory that not even he cares about. I also don't really believe that Haruka would care about any of the idol stuff that happens to her. She's a teen, sure, but everything in the game is so needlessly contrived that it feels like devs were just thinking up situations and taking wildest paths there with no regard for anything. The baseball man who's name I'm blanking on is actually the best story because his arc is so self-contained.
Say what you want about 3 and 4 but at least their dumb plot twists made them fun, 5 doesn't even have any rubber bullet revelations or Jojis.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Yakuza should have more varied mini-games in arcade. Like, I'm sure it's cool to see 3 fighting games but I'm already playing a beat-em-up (and I'm poo poo at fighters). Gimme Columns or just out-of-arcade off-brand tetris. Aside from Puyo Puyo I don't think there were ANY puzzle minigames in all the games.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Nuebot posted:

I'd be down for more licensed games like it, honestly. Give me Kiryu's Bizarre Adventure or something.

This would be my dream. All the side stories are just weird stand battles that make you slippery, reverse your controls, or make you play as a dog for no reason. Unfortunately every anime game has to be either a 1v1 or arena fighter

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

The higher-end Coliseum stuff is confusing me. I can't do enough damage and end up timing out on stuff like the fight with the 3 Oni guys. And my Kiryu is pretty decked out - I think the only high-end gear I'm missing is the one that costs 50M.

I first assumed I needed to level my guys, but that seems like it would be super tedious to do enough to make a difference. My guys are around level 12, and only get around 1 level for a Platinum battle.

Seems I was too late, but if anyone else has that issue: you can choose to play as one of your clan mates in 1v1 setting and they get a fuckton of exp even for like gold level fight where there's one guy. I think they go to level 13 immediately.
I do wish the game would've said so because by that time I leveled most people through hell rumbles and only realized that with a few final gold dudes.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Someone recently linked a hella long Yakuza 6 video and it was really enjoyable. I've played 3-6 and Judgement back to back so it helped me to remember but also reminded why the ending felt the way it did. Throughout the game Kiryu keeps protecting people who try self-sacrifice (he himself gets into prison which leads to Haruka going away, Yuta keeps trying to kill himself for whatever reason), and he learns that it just doesn't work. So at the end, naturally, he basically does exactly that again.
Really feels like they wanted to go for something else but backed out into Kiryu's greatest weakness once again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
People like to act offended about others playing with dub for a quick joke, but I've replayed 7 with dub recently and it was SO GOOD. Ichiban in particular. It's also got fairly different writing some of which I've enjoyed more.