Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Race Realists posted:

this guy named himself after the main character in the Death Wish films (a series of 80's Action B-Movies), and has made several books off of poorly researched Crime Statistics for several years, detailing what he calls the collapse of "White Civilization"

im going to start posting some poo poo

GET READY :getin:

Ironically, the first Death Wish is based on a novel in which the protagonist is presented as an unhinged nutcase. The author wasn't pleased when his novel about the dangerous seductive nature of retributive violence was embraced by audiences everywhere as a pro-vigilante story about the need to slaughter criminals.

It's sort of the anti-Starship Troopers, in which a liberal book is adapted into a very right-wing film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Race Realists posted:

https://twitter.com/sbpdl/status/782735682943016964

ummm

he quotes starship troopers in his podcast and even has one his twitter

Death Wish was a liberal book that was turned into a right-wing pro-vigilante film.

Starship Troopers is a right-wing authoritarian book that was turned into an anti-war parody film.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Yossarian-22 posted:

If there's one plus with neofascism it's that its base is loving incel dorks. Imagine these people in the SS. Sad!

They'd fit right in

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

How charming to see the alt-right splitting just as quick as any Trot group.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Talmonis posted:

Marty Mcfly, is that you?!

Lol even in the "bad timeline" Biff Tanen was just a really rich guy, not President of the United States. Marty and Prof Brown need to get their loving poo poo together.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

I don't even want to imagine what the inside of one of those white baseball caps looks like after a Trump supporter has been wearing it for any amount of time. At least the Red coloration would kind of hide the sweat stains.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

I find the entire genre of youtube commentary channels completely inexplicable tbh

Like, give me a nice long poorly written political rant and I'll read through it for the gems of craziness. But I can't listen to these greasy fat fucks sitting in front of their webcams at a flat angle talking in stream-of-consciousness about whatever stupid topic for thirty minutes straight. Actually I can't make it two minutes into their videos and I don't understand how anyone else can either.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

I knew this generation was hosed the day I found out that watching livestreams of other people playing DOTA is a thing tens of thousands of people are doing at any one time.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

You guys are acting like the American left has the organization, energy or institutional connections to actually suppress anything. From an outside perspective it looks more like an aggrieved person getting really drunk and then picking a bar fight they are unlikely to win.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Relevant Tangent posted:

He was pushed onto his sword.

ftfy

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Yeah. The only reason Maher booked Milo is because he thought they could jerk off about being freedom of speech heroes after the Berkeley protest. Which is also why Milo was booked at CPAC, and it was being the keynote speaker at CPAC that triggered Reagan Battalion. Bill Maher had absolutely nothing to do with the sequence of events that led to Milo's fall from grace.

To restate what you're alluding to more baldly: Maher knew he could get views, and therefore money, by featuring a ripped-from-the-headlines controversial figures on his show.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Henry Rollins starred in a fun little indy horror / comedy / crime film called "He Never Died" that is worth watching if ever want to watch him punch people in the face and then eat them

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

quote:

A few years ago I realised it was time to do something good with my life.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

A Pale Horse posted:

Well from their perspective they are. America has no real tradition of leftism as it's understood in the rest of the world. Who's the most leftist American politician you can think of? Right now it's Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren and historically someone like Eugene Debbs or Huey Long? Socdem is extreme left in America so don't be surprised when American leftists are wary of putting on berets and hoisting AKs and storming the barricades.

The American left was blowing poo poo up on a weekly basis in the 1970s.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Cut the man some slack. He is trying to protect us from machine elves and their Luciferian plan to open an interdimensional portal into our world via the Large Hadron Collider. I think I will give Trump a pass on a few minor surveillance state transgressions when he just stopped a literal, sulfur smelling, child sacrificing demon from winning the election.

You can't make the perfect the enemy of the good.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Thug Lessons posted:

It says that the entire psychological discipline of intelligence research is pseudo-science...

Hmmm

Nature posted:

An ambitious effort to replicate 100 research findings in psychology ended last week — and the data look worrying. Results posted online on 24 April, which have not yet been peer-reviewed, suggest that key findings from only 39 of the published studies could be reproduced.

quote:

I just want to ask people: does this conform with your conception of how science operates? That entire fields are led by radical ideologues, and that despite glaring methodological flaws obvious even to laymen no dissenting views are accepted by journals because they fail to conform?

In the social sciences this doesn't sound implausible at all. Remember this paper?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Grondoth posted:

I'm a bit worried about this across all disciplines, we tend to not really do replication experiments anymore cause lol who's gonna pay you to do that poo poo

This would be less of a problem (though it would still be a serious issue) if social science disciplines like economics, psychology and political science would stop pretending to be hard sciences. Just because you can throw a bunch of math or conduct a controlled experiment doesn't suddenly mean your discipline is now as rigorous and reliable in its predictions as some idealized physics experiment.

A lot of scholars want to create a illusion of greater objectivity and rigor than is actually appropriate for their disciplines. If you make your field opaque and jargonish enough and then throw in some statistical studies you can bamboozle a lot of laymen, even if your sample is actually a bunch of bored undergraduates sitting in a lecture hall and your ultimate conclusion is some none-sense about girls preferring pink because in our distant evolutionary past they picked strawberries.

Years ago I remember a professor commenting on how often he would read poli sci papers where some kind of statistical analysis was seemingly bolted on at the last minute because - presumably - it's really hard to convincingly prove something with prose in 25-30 pages. So if you really want your journal article to seem convincing you toss in some kind of statistical or mathematical element, no matter how flimsy, because that instantly makes the entire exercise look more authoritative. I think you see the same kind of poo poo in psychology sometimes where a weak or questionable argument is supposed to be bolstered by a questionably designed study. After all, scholars are ultimately driven by the need to generate grants or to get their papers cited or become prestigious enough in their field to get hired at a school of their choice or to appear in the media, etc. If a poorly designed study will help convince the rubes that you're an authority then that temptation will be hard for a lot of people to pass up.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

neuropsychology is not a hard scientific field

Either Lindsay Graham has stronger opinions on psychology than I realized or you forgot to log off your gimmick account before posting this.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Oh and I'll take a happy meal with extra happy thank you very much

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

they already had a conservative kid genius, then he hit puberty and turned into a liberal

He had the most perfectly pretentious university kid reason for leaving the Republican party as I recall: he said they hadn't paid enough attention to developments in 19th and 20th century German philosophy.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

lol

Conservatives are trying to come to terms with the fact that 1) maybe a couple tens of thousands of people in the entire country actually give a flying gently caress about ideological conservatism, meaning 2) they can choose between selling a poo poo ideology that has very little mass appeal or hitching themselves to unpredictable and untrustworthy youtube personalities who will change ideologies as soon as it suits them

quote:

This Tomi Lahren Experiment Was a Real Bad Idea
By Peter Heck | March 18, 2017, 11:41am | @peterheck

There’s a reason why it usually doesn’t end well when a kid goes straight from a life of party and privilege to the bright lights of a professional sports career. They have no clue how to handle the responsibility of fame and fortune. Just look at the fall of Johnny Manziel.

There’s a reason why it usually doesn’t end well when someone mired in unemployed poverty wins the lottery and lands in the lap of luxury. They are oblivious about how to maneuver the challenges of money and power. Just look at the depressing case of David Lee Edwards.

And there’s a reason why it usually doesn’t end well when someone who lacks any meaningful or serious understanding of political philosophy and ideology is thrust in front of a camera and promoted as a conservative spokesman. They are pitifully unprepared to exercise the disciplines of reason and discernment. Just look at the sorry spectacle of Tomi Lahren. :qq:

In a culture that bizarrely worships youth and beauty, it is unsurprising that Lahren’s rise to fame has been meteoric. And make no mistake, Tomi has certainly demonstrated a talent for increasing her notoriety with provocative commentaries timed to coincide with significant national controversies. Her prolific use of social media has propelled her to over 664,000 followers on Twitter, and earned her invitations onto numerous television news and commentary programs.

If gaining popularity and getting your face on TV were the primary objectives of conservatism, she would be a rock star. But since the movement has always been about the supremacy of our ideas, it’s what she says on TV that matters most. And that’s the great danger of this emerging movement of pop culture “conservatism” driven by followers and web traffic, rather than principles. It’s only a matter of time before it casually defecates in the right’s dinner plate with the whole country watching. :cry:

Friday on the obnoxious ABC gabfest “The View,” Tomi Lahren did just that:

quote:

“I’m pro choice, and here’s why. I am a constitutional, you know, someone that loves the Constitution. I’m someone that’s for limited government. So I can’t sit here and be a hypocrite and say I’m for limited government but I think the government should decide what women do with their bodies. I can sit here and say that, as a Republican and I can say, you know what, I’m for limited government, so stay out of my guns, and you can stay out of my body as well.”

This is so mindlessly incoherent that Glenn Beck should be humiliated he has given this poser such a platform of prominence. Not just because he’s promoted someone who finds it morally acceptable to kill children for convenience (though that’s plenty good enough), but because she demonstrates such a childish misunderstanding of natural law and constitutional theory.

For someone who just three months ago fumed how abortion was murder, Lahren has not just experienced second thoughts. She has now apparently arrived at the startling conclusion that limited government means not stopping someone from killing someone else. If Lahren is so worried about being a hypocrite, perhaps she should use one of her popular “Final Thoughts” segments to explain why she wants government to tell other people they can’t kill her, but demands that same government not tell her she can’t kill her baby. :argh:

This isn’t reason. It’s stupidity on steroids.

The great conservatives have always understood that the intrinsic worth of the individual was the foundation point of all we believe and espouse. Without the right to life, there is no liberty, and there is no happiness to pursue. So here’s a suggestion for all parties involved:

Tomi Lahren: take some time away from the camera, read and learn what conservatism is, and decide if that’s what you are or what you want to be.
Glenn Beck: you spent an election cycle critical of anyone on the right that pretended Trump’s incoherent populism was actually conservatism; will you permit The Blaze to continue pretending Tomi’s incoherent populism is?
Conservatives: let’s stop mimicking the leftist cult of personality approach that embraces whatever is considered trendy, young, and envelope-pushing; instead let’s again be known for the power of our ideas rather than 2-minute YouTube power rants by immature minds.
I refuse to believe that Tomi Lahren is the future of conservatism in America, because if she is, conservatism has no future here.

This guy is writing for Eric Ericson's new site, "The Resurgent". Also did they get the art director from the Man in the High Castle to design their logo or something?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's been about five years since I've read The Reactionary Mind, but one of its most important insights was how - because Conservatism is a reactionary ideology rooted in its opposition to liberalism, Conservatives are constantly struggling with newer generations who accept liberal challenges to inherited hierarchies as their core tenets. It only took a couple of decades before young right wing women accepted the key achievements of the sexual revolution for their own ideology, and the old men who dominate conservative discourse still can't deal with it.

The Reactionary Mind made a good case for a lot of contemporary American conservatism being more of an aesthetic rejection of liberalism and a celebration of hierarchy, struggle and violence. Except there are still a few dweebs who actually think conservatism is about free markets or family values or something and they are inconsolably bitter that Trump is now revealing that 99% of the people who vote for the Republican party don't actually give a gently caress about the ideological conservatism that big corporations and billionaire families like the Kochs, the Bradleys, the Scaifs, and the Olins have been bankrolling.

:qq: "The angry mob of people that we dispossessed and then whipped up into a state of perpetual psychotic fury keeps falling for blatantly self-promoting youtube hucksters and unhinged demagogues instead of expressing their fealty to the timeless ideals of Bill Buckley, whatever will happen to the conservative movement?"

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

American conservatism is perverted by its roots, since we founded the country on a constitution that was based on Enlightenment notions of liberty. It naturally tends to be a bourgeois reaction, as opposed to continental conservatism, which was a direct reaction to the French revolution.

That might be true for the elite advocates of conservatism but when it comes to actually garnering popular support American conservatism has always been hyper-reactionary. McCarthy is more important than Jefferson or Washington and the inchoate resentment of middle Americans who wanted to see uppity blacks punished and hippy students beaten by cops was the real animating force behind Reaganism and had more to do with the success of the ideology than anything that ever came out of the Chicago School.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Controversial opinion here but I am totally comfortable with the precedent that someone who was explicitly trying to cause death or harm by triggering another person's medical condition is being charged with a crime

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Even though they represent a small percentage of the overall population transgendered people are often viewed as the extreme embodiment of the belief that gender is a social construction rather than something determined by biology. Given that a lot of contemporary political arguments hinges on whether you think things are either determined by nature or constructed by social forces it's hardly surprising that trans issues would be used as a sort of proxy for all kinds of other debates about society.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Ernst Rohm and the original SA goons practically flaunted their homosexuality and believed it made them superior warriors akin to the ancient Spartans.

This article was written back in 2008 before the alt-right was on anyone radar but it gives lists a number of examples of gay fascists, some out and some closeted.

quote:

Gay rights campaigner Peter Tatchell has a sensitive and intriguing explanation. “There are many reasons for this kind of thing,” he says. “Some of them are in denial. They are going for hyper-masculinity, the most extreme possible way of being a man. It’s a way of ostentatiously rejecting the perceived effeminacy of the homosexual ‘Other’. These troubled men have a simple belief in their minds: ‘Straight men are tough. Queers are weak. Therefore if I’m tough I can’t be queer.’ It’s a desperate way of proving their manhood.”

‘Searchlight’ magazine - the bible of the British anti-fascist movement, with moles in every major far-right organisation - offers an alternative explanation. “Generally condemned by a society that continues to be largely hostile to gays, some men may find refuge and a new power status in the far right,” one of their writers has explained. “Through adherence to the politics espoused by fascist groups, a new identity emerges - one where they aren’t outcasts, because they are White Men, superior to everyone else. They render the gay part of their identity invisible - or reject the socially less acceptable parts, like being feminine - while vaunting what they see as superior.”

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

It is at turns funny and depressing to watch a generation of NEETs drifting through cyberspace and seemingly adopting whatever bizarre ideology or identity they happen to bump into first. It might be a form of nerd culture, a racialist ideology, a weird sexual kink or all of those things combined, it hardly seems to matter as long as it gives them a reason to exist in a society that really has no use for them.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

His prose has the sentence structure of a loving picture book. "See Satan. See Satan run. Satan was the first Liberal."

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Actually the last Pope was in the Hitler youth.The current Pope was at most a collaborator with the Argentinian Junta when they were disappearing leftists during the Dirty War.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

If you care about the bible as a cultural artefact rather than a spiritual book then you should really read the King James version. That and the works of Shakespeare are responsible for most of the common idioms, turns of phrase and metaphors that English speakers commonly use today.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Despite having been written forty years ago Christopher Lasch's "The Culture of Narcissism" has a lot to say about the contemporary alt-right. I think this passage is particularly relevant to the discussion of why a woman might yearn for a return to traditional patriarchal values or why the NEET generation in particular is attracted to the imagery of totalitarian ideologies:

Christopher Lasch, The Culture of Narcissism: American Life in An Age of Diminishing Expectations posted:

Imprisoned in his pseudo-awareness of himself, the new Narcissus would gladly take refuge in an idée fixe, a neurotic compulsion, a "magnificent obsession"--anything to get his mind off his own mind. Even unreflecting acquiescence in the daily grind, as the possibility of achieving it recedes into the historical distance, comes to seem like an almost enviable state of mind. It is a tribute to the peculiar horror of contemporary life that it makes the worst features of earlier times--the stupefaction of the masses, the obsessed and driven lives of the bourgeoisie--seem attractive by comparison. The nineteenth-century capitalist, compulsively industrious in the attempt to deliver himself from temptation, suffered torments inflicted by inner demons. Contemporary man, tortured on the other hand by self-consciousness, turns to new cults and therapies not to free himself from obsessions but to find meaning and purpose in life, to find something to live for, precisely to embrace an obsession, if only the passion maitresse of therapy itself. He would willingly exchange his self-consciousness for oblivion and his freedom to create new roles for some form of external dictation, the more arbitrary the better. The hero of a recent novel renounces free choice and lives according to the dictation of dice: "I established in my mind at that moment and for all time, the never questioned principle that what the dice dictates, I will perform." Men used to rail against the irony of fate; now they prefer it to the irony of unceasing self-consciousness. Whereas earlier ages sought to substitute reason for arbitrary dictation both from without and within, the twentieth century finds reason, in the debased contemporary form of ironic self-consciousness, a harsh master; it seeks to revive earlier forms of enslavement. The prison life of the past looks in our own time like liberation itself.

For many people the idea of demolishing every form of hierarchy or replacing all arbitrarily assigned roles with personal decisions and choices - right down to choosing your own gender or being expected to be a self-made person in an extremely precarious economy - is intensely frightening. Assuming that everyone who joins the alt-right secretly expects to be part of the new master-class in society is mistaken. I think many people just want a stable set of values to orient themselves around and to lose themselves within, because the expectations of contemporary individualism weigh heavily on the growing number of losers in society.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

I don't think it's just a need to externalize failure, because even a lot of superficially successful and affluent people are utterly miserable right now. I think there's a deeper, and largely aesthetic, rejection of contemporary society happening right now and that you can't just reduce that rejection to a question of who is or isn't flourishing in the new economy (though certainly that plays a large role as well).

Beneath the generic alienation of late capitalism there's a deeper kind of alienation that has been targeted by spiritual and religious traditions for many thousands of years. Building our entire society around personal choice and maximizing conspicuous consumption would probably alienate a lot of people even if we somehow created a post-scarcity utopia where everyone is provided for.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

rudatron posted:

Imma reduce it down to something much simpler. Forget aesthetic rejection, here's the real reason - loneliness.

In small medieval villages, literally everyone in the same village goes to church, there's the pretense of some common bond. Most people today don't even talk to their neighbors.

You can get help making a decision, but you can't ever really get guidance.

I think we're describing the same thing from different angles. After all, the values of late capitalism in America increasingly are about making you a totally isolated individual whose entire identity has to be self constructed, which necessarily means all social and personal ties are extremely weak. It's hardly surprising that makes people feel lonely and isolated.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

You would think that Alabama would be easy mode for a white nationalist which makes Spencers' fuckup even funnier than if this had happened at Berkeley or New York

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Isn't Sam Harris the pro-torture guy who got really upset when anyone correctly said he was pro torture? Also, I think, the guy who had a public meltdown when Noam Chomsky said he was too much of a clown to bother debating with?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

I looked up the Harris-Chomsky correspondances and they are worth googling. Chomsky gave Harris permission to post the emails, in the form of a brutal own: "The idea of publishing personal correspondence is pretty weird, a strange form of exhibitionism – whatever the content. Personally, I can’t imagine doing it. However, if you want to do it, I won’t object."

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

fatherboxx posted:

Guess I am just annoyed that "disenfranchised" is applied to people that don't suffer from material conditions or actual community pressure.

A Pale Horse posted:

Yeah, they're socially disenfranchised, not materially or politically. Either because of their repulsiveness (physical or personality), crippling shyness/social anxiety or disproportionate (to the culture) religiosity they feel like they don't belong in the popular culture and as a defense mechanism they formulate a reality where the problems are with society, not themselves. Where the whole world has gone nuts and they're the only sane ones left. It lends them what they've been missing all along, a sense of community and purpose. We all need that feeling of acceptance from someone and if no one else is willing to give it, well a nazi will do, especially since they'll reinforce your preconceptions about society and love you (in a way). I don't mean to sound too sympathetic to these folks, but I really believe most of the alt-right rank and file are not unsalvageable. There's a core of die-hard shitbags who deserve a long one way train trip out east, but most of the kekistanis are just lost souls who could be redirected with the right tactics.

The last chapter of Angela Nagel's new book on the alt-right, "Kill All Normies", deals with this directly.

Nagel's more of a journalist than a scholar and she seems to take the alt-right's claim about "hypergamy" at face value. In my own experience there is hardly a "steep sexual hierarchy" for men on the contemporary dating / hookup scene. Perhaps my perceptions are coloured by living in big cities and mostly hanging around with a university / professional crowd but it seems like most folks of both sexes can get laid easily enough (securing a long term relationship with a committed partner seems somewhat less frequent but is hardly uncommon). There does seem to be a slice of the population who have almost no sexual or romantic partners but it seems like the real barrier for them is a mixture of social isolation, anxiety, overly high standards of unrealistic expectations, and self-segregation (i.e. spending all day on the internet or gaming). The idea that large numbers of men are denied sexual opportunities because a sexual elite is taking all the women doesn't even come close to matching up with my own experiences and I wish she'd explain what evidence she sees for this.

But regardless of what the cause is I think that Nagel accurately describes the alt-right perspective here, even if that perspective is a weird fusion of gonzo porn and 1980s high school movies. They perceive themselves as an oppressed class being denied a precious resources (i.e. sex and romance).

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Azathoth posted:

I don't see anything wrong with understanding why people join alt right groups and even empathizing with them, that's basic humanity. What led them to this awful place started in childhood, and is the product of a long chain of events and poor choices. That said, I don't sympathize with them or excuse their behavior because of this, but I do understand where it comes from.

The key to countering them is to find a path for them out of where they are now, since I would bet that for a lot of them, the alt right is the first social group that truly accepted them and most of them would rather go further down the racist rabbit hole than go back to being an alienated, friendless loser. Also, thanks Brutalist McDonalds for alienated instead of disenfranchised, I used that because I couldn't think of anything else and alienated is what I was trying to convey.

I think the ones who manage to gain some social skills with time will stumble into regular Republicanism and regret spending time on the alt right, but I fear the rest will go full Nazi/white supremacist. I don't know how to give them a third path, but it's necessary to prevent them from becoming something worse.

Another one of the premises' of Nagel's "Kill All Normies" is that most of the impetus for the alt-right came from what she calls "tumblr-liberalism" and that the spread of a particular form of racial and gender identity politics online alienated many young white men and turned them into recruits for an online reactionary movement. Nagel argues that the call-out culture cultivated on left-wing parts of the twitter verse (she approvingly cites Mark Fisher's Vampire Castle essay) both drove away potential recruits and also caused the left to lose its capacity to actually win arguments on their merits. For her, the rise of the alt-right is largely viewed as a failure of the left to provide the alternative pathway you're alluding to.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

wizard on a water slide posted:

Just as big a problem, imo, is how you convince people on the left to loving try to communicate with these dudes or even care. The alt-right's casual inhumanity has understandably and justifiably hardened most socialist, anarchist, etc types' attitude toward them and willingness to seek terms, because they basically thrive on being difficult, unlikable antagonists. I'm queer and I'm sick to loving death of reading pseudo-scientific theories from fuckwits about how the way I dress or what I do with my dick is the problem with western civilization, the Real Hitlers, the reason ISIS is going to destroy us, and so on. I understand, rationally, how they got to where they are, but I don't loving care how they feel anymore.

The US left has enough work to do without putting emotional labor into making friends with and winning the minds of these dudes. Fighting back both directly and by producing compelling propaganda of our own to target the up-and-coming sad gamers of the world bears more fruit. Love, time, everything is finite. Why waste it on lovely people who hate you?

I think Nagel's argument would be that tumblr-liberalism cultivated habits of thought on the left that make it tactically inflexible and unconvincing to anyone who isn't already an ally. In the conclusion to "Kill All Normies" she comes down quite hard on what she views as the "toxic" culture of a lot of online left-liberal discourse.

Nagel draws a comparison between online subcultures (of both the left and the right) and the formation of music subcultures and cites Sarah Thornton's concept of "subcultural capital", i.e. the idea (borrowing from Bordiue's idea of cultural capital) that subcultures use esoteric knowledge to police who really 'belongs' to the group. In the case of progressive internet sites and social media in the early 2010s she views the cultivation of a certain kind of leftist virtue (i.e. wokeness) as being a crucial resources for bloggers and social media personalities. Leftist call-out culture in the early 2010s, with its focus on identifying how various left-wing allies or figures had this or that "problematic" view, was a sort of improvised attempt to create a scarcity of virtue because this had become a precious resources for online personalities.

For Nagel this entire culture both pushed away potential recruits and also robbed the left of its ability to develop a compelling arguments (she also complains that left-liberal sites like Buzzfeed and Upworthy were, in her view, using cultural liberalism to attack or diminish any kind of economic leftism). At times Nagel's book comes off like a big effort post right out of the Suck Zone.

If you accept that interpretation then the issue here isn't really about being nicer to alt-righters. It's more a question of whether the left's own habits of thought and internal culture are holding it back or limiting its ability to develop good tactics.

It's an interesting but far from perfect book and part of me wonders whether it would be worth doing a bigger effort post about it or even making a new thread to discuss it. If anyone would actually be interested in that let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Azathoth posted:

I think that the Left needs to come to the same realization about the alt-right that they essentially did with the Westboro Baptist Church, which is to learn that shouting back at them gives them what they want, and instead ignore them when possible and calmly mitigate damage when not possible (such as their funeral protests).

"Don't fight where your enemy wants to fight" is a pretty basic (and ancient) concept, but there's a certain kind of liberal that absolutely cannot resist the provocation. And I get that it feels pretty drat good to have the moral high ground and to channel righteous anger, but it really does no good. It's far more effective to do counter-programming elsewhere if people absolutely need an outlet for their anger.

What's good for a "movement" or "cause" or group isn't necessarily going to benefit individuals who wish to profit from the movement. Engaging in pointless grudge matches or struggles with the enemy can help raise your profile and redirect some money into your patreon account even if it's not particularly conducive to winning any larger political struggle. Both the left and the right has its fair share of grifters who understand the usefulness of selective outrage.