Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Heh women. Am i right fellas????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
It's La La Land
*slap*
It's Moonlight
*slap*
It's La La Land and Moonlight!

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Yes why did no one ever think to develop a foolproof digital database tied to the teleprompter in order to solve a problem that has occurred twice(?) in 89 years?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Criminal Minded posted:

It's La La Land
*slap*
It's Moonlight
*slap*
Legitimately think this is what Jimmy Kimmel wanted to have happen

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

A week from now someone at like, Variety or Hollywood Reporter is gonna write an article about exactly how it went down, minute by minute, and it's going to be hilarious. Especially the part where Ryan Gosling will only allow himself to be quoted as saying "hahahahahahahahaha"

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

DC Murderverse posted:

This is, unfortunately, not true. Emma Stone has come out and said that Leo gave her the envelope and it never left her hands.

unless she's in on it as well...
Emma Stone illuminati confirmed.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
All due respect to Emma Stone as she's doing a pretty amazing job of damage control for this whole ceremony in her interview right now

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Where are you guys watching after show coverage?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm just watching Twitter. I've long since switched to Dog Day Afternoon. A much better portrayal of terrible damage control.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

It's on ABC here in Orlando at least

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Wrong envelope confirmed

https://twitter.com/ActuallyNPH/status/836088914247057412

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

J33uk posted:

All due respect to Emma Stone as she's doing a pretty amazing job of damage control for this whole ceremony in her interview right now

She also said she had the winning envelope in her hand the entire time so uhhhhh PLOT THICKENS

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

J33uk posted:

Serious question: The second copy of the Best Actress envelope ended up in Beatty's hands, right?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Crazy Ted posted:

Serious question: The second copy of the Best Actress envelope ended up in Beatty's hands, right?

Yes, we have a photo of Beatty holding up a Best Actress envelope and we know that there are two sets of envelopes.

At this point the most likely culprit is the PwC accountant, who would have handed out the wrong envelope to Beatty. I really doubt they have the presenter rummage around the briefcase for the right envelope instead.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

Seemingly so. He clearly goes "the gently caress is this?" and shows it to Faye to ask "You seeing this poo poo?" and she just reads the film title she sees ignoring the wider context.

Edit: The gently caress up was bad enough, wrapping up as fast as they did while giving the Moonlight people very little time to gather themselves and talk was worse. Blind panic is a funny thing tho.

J33uk fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Feb 27, 2017

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

I can agree with all that, but I expected Moana because of the Grrl Power aspect. Kubo was extraordinary. I suspect the voters didn't actually watch all the films so didn't actually see Kubo and the two foreign flicks.

Moana was a serviceable movie but it wasn't like, super great. It was aiite.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

J33uk posted:

Seemingly so. He clearly goes "the gently caress is this?" and shows it to Faye to ask "You seeing this poo poo?" and she just reads the film title she sees ignoring the wider context.
And then once the mistake is made, Ryan Gosling, who is high as a kite, giggles and then vapes some weed.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Crazy Ted posted:

And then once the mistake is made, Ryan Gosling, who is high as a kite, giggles and then vapes some weed.

How great it must be to know you're not going to win. Gosling was clearly having a blast, and Naomie Harris was the same way.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I'd like to imagine that under similar circumstances I would be as gracious and classy as the La La Land producer but in reality I know I'd act like Larry David.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

J33uk posted:

Edit: The gently caress up was bad enough, wrapping up as fast as they did while giving the Moonlight people very little time to gather themselves and talk was worse.

I'm not 100% sure how they could have done it better though. They were already running long, and like you said, "blind panic." This sort of poo poo has literally never happened during the Oscars.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Majorian posted:

They were already running long, and like you said, "blind panic." This sort of poo poo has literally never happened during the Oscars.
But having watched it in a haze of pain medication, I, for one, am really glad that it happened. Now we just need someone to splice in the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme over the end of it.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Crazy Ted posted:

But having watched it in a haze of pain medication, I, for one, am really glad that it happened. Now we just need someone to splice in the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme over the end of it.

Slow zoom in on Warren Beatty looking abashed.

Biggus Duckus
Feb 13, 2012

Mr. Nemo posted:

Stop bitching about Zootopia and rewatch the sloths' scene. All will make sense again.

I saw it about ten times before the movie even came out, maybe they shouldn't put the whole best scene in the preview.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Crazy Ted posted:

My friend

https://twitter.com/Seinfeld2000/status/836093856886173698

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Whoever made that first was gonna get a bunch of new followers.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This woman on the Vanity Fair aftershow who's their backstage hookup who says she's been there for 11 Oscar ceremonies, she said she'd never heard of the Marisa Tomei thing. :psyduck:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

DC Murderverse posted:

I think he kinda set her up for the fall. he knew something was up, and instead of, like checking, he showed her the thing like he was just trying to be cute and she read the name she saw on the card.
I feel like what happens is Beatty opens the envelope, sees the card, and immediately knows he's got the wrong card, and has no idea what to do now, so he sorta freezes up. Everything he does, the looking offstage, then to the card, then out into the crowd, then the card at a new angle, he's trying to find the person who's gonna tell him what the gently caress to do. The problem is that he's showing nobody else the card and saying nothing, so to everyone else -- including Dunaway -- it looks like he's doing a "ha ha I'm not telling anyone the winner" shtick. And so when she rips the card away from him, it's because she's out of patience with his little gag, so she just looks for a movie name and reads it out loud.

Which just goes to show just how much had to go wrong for the whole thing to happen; if they open the card together or Beatty isn't too shocked to say literally anything at all ("this isn't right", "I think I have the wrong card here", "why does this say Emma Stone", anything), they still could have averted disaster at the last moment. It really took a perfect storm to get the wrong winner named on air.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

this poo poo on youtube yet?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

banned from Starbucks posted:

this poo poo on youtube yet?
https://twitter.com/THR/status/836097740195037186

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

idgi

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Criminal Minded posted:

It's La La Land
*slap*
It's Moonlight
*slap*

Made this same exact joke at my oscar viewing party, and it warms my heart to know someone else on the internet had the same joke occur to them

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/reallavender/status/836084609737756672

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Whether or not you think Zootopia deserved Best Animated is basically conditional on whether you think the big long drag in the middle with the sloths and then the Godfather joke dragged down the rest of the film too much or not.

Moana was pretty good and pretty and had nice songs and a fresh setting but plot-wise pretty standard Disney stuff.

I liked Kubo best but oh well.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

bewilderment posted:

Whether or not you think Zootopia deserved Best Animated is basically conditional on whether you think the big long drag in the middle with the sloths and then the Godfather joke dragged down the rest of the film too much or not.

It's actually conditional on if you want to gently caress the rabbit or not.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Lurdiak posted:

It's actually conditional on if you want to gently caress the rabbit or not.

Look, let's not go down this rabbit hole

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hedrigall posted:

Look, let's not go down this rabbit hole
We wouldn't want to court controfursy.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The meltdown on page 40-41 was great

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I still don't understand what Viola Davis meant when she said "we are the only profession that celebrates what it means to live a life."

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

someone included the picture of a living woman in the in memoriam montage

http://variety.com/2017/film/awards/oscars-in-memoriam-segment-janet-patterson-wrong-photo-jan-chapman-1201997597/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Why would there even be two sets of envelopes for something like the Oscars? Seems like it's a setup for just such a thing to happen.

• Locked thread