Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Cacator posted:

I also saw Moonlight back in September and was kind of surprised to see how big it got, I thought it was solid but found the third act kind of underwhelming.
Third act made the movie for me, the first two acts, with the exceptions of Mahershala Ali and the beach scenes, felt more rote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

TrixRabbi posted:

I feel like La La Land is the favorite, but it could end up having the 12 Years a Slave "we don't want to look racist" effect.
I'm expecting a backlash to the backlash within the next week or so.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Spatula City posted:

anyway, of the films nominated for BP, I've seen 6/9, better than usual! I want to see Lion and Fences, but won't see Hacksaw Ridge on principle (gently caress YOU GIBSON YOU PIECE OF poo poo).
Is that a consistent stance to take with the stink coming off of Casey Affleck right now? BTW, I haven't seen Hacksaw either but only because Lonergan is more of my kind of filmmaker than Gibson.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

china bot posted:

Has anyone else seen Elle? It was my favorite last year, and Isabelle Huppert deserves the nomination, but I have no expectation of her winning
Elle felt like the most emblematic film of 2016.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Ah yes, Mike https://thedissolve.com/features/exposition/1059-imagining-a-better-alternate-universe-in-which-jam/ D'Angelo

(actually I like reading his Scenic Routes column but a lot of his opinions are real... "out there" sometimes)

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

china bot posted:

Agreed, but he's able to explain his contrarian opinions in a way where I can at least understand where he's coming from
i did enjoy his page-long mixed reaction to moonlight

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Best Picture: La La Land

Best Director: Barry Jenkins, Moonlight

Best Actor: Denzel Washington, Fences

Best Actress: Emma Stone, La La Land

Best Supporting Actor: Jeff Bridges, Hell or High Water

Best Supporting Actress: Viola Davis, Fences

Best Cinematography: Moonlight

Best Original Screenplay: Manchester by the Sea

Best Adapted Screenplay: Moonlight

Best Film Editing: Hell or High Water

Best Animated Feature: Zootopia

Best Foreign Language Film: The Salesman

Best Visual Effects: The Jungle Book

Best Documentary - Feature: O.J.: Made in America

Best Documentary - Short: Joe's Violin

Best Live Action Short: Silent Nights

Best Animated Short: Pear Cider and Cigarettes

Best Original Score: La La Land

Best Original Song: "How Far I'll Go", Moana

Best Sound Editing: Hacksaw Ridge

Best Sound Mixing: Arrival

Best Production Design: La La Land

Best Costume Design: Jackie

Best Makeup and Hairstyling: Star Trek Beyond

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Teenage Fansub posted:

The Salesman ruled, ya dummies.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Real real happy for Kenneth Lonergan after all the poo poo that went down with Margaret

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
https://twitter.com/calummarsh/status/836081913685237760

• Locked thread