Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Washout posted:

I regret only putting QR2 on Atiki and like 4 other units, but then again I'd have a lot less other shiny toys if I'd blown 80k feathers on all my various dragons. FFrobin got QR3 though. There should be a big red flashing sign in the OP that says:

Jumping in on the free money that is the mobile market, Nintendo put a Fire Emblem game on Android and iOS. It's a gachapon game, meaning you will roll for characters and likely reconsider your life choices after you spend your tax refund rolling for Marth. That being said, this game is incredibly generous with premium currency at the moment, and you can get at least a few top ranking characters with relative ease. (Also known as luck.)

I moved the thread hall of fame to the second page, as a mercy to people trying to read the OP and getting blasted with dozen of super high res screenshots. Here's a link

cheetah7071 posted:

The requirements for hall of fame are

-- be 5*+10
-- post in this thread at least a little
-- request it explicitly so I know you're actually proud of your +10

Check out this trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWOcLSD_D1I

The plot surrounds two kingdoms, the Emblian Empire and the Askran Kingdom. The Emblian Empire wants to take over all the worlds from the other Fire Emblem games, including the ones you probably never played. You showed up in the Askran Kingdom after being summoned, then proceed to do the exact same thing to your favorite Fire Emblem characters, like the ones from Super Smash Bros. Using superior grid-based tactics and farming ability, you'll travel through the game's plot counting down until you have 20 orbs, then violently rip more of your favorite Smash characters from their homes.

If you're just now downloading this for the first time, you have the option of re-rolling your account. Only do this if you have a high tolerance for tedium. This means after your initial summon (five characters from one banner and one character from each other available banner), reinstall your game if you don't get any 5* characters. Or you can shoot for several, or a specific one. But really having one 5* is a great advantage. If you don't care and just want essentially a demo of Fire Emblem, skip this part and get into the story. You can't go wrong, but you'll be craving those 5*'s soon enough. When you're happy with your initial roll, be sure to create a Nintendo account and link it. You'll get some awesome bonuses and you get cloud storage for your progress.

-= Combat in Fire Emblem: Heroes =-
Battles are turn-based, with the attacker going first and the defender counter-attacking if left alive and in range. There's stats that affect each character's combat prowess, and there's also movement modifiers like horses that change how far on the grid you can move.

The weapon triangle can give you an advantage in battle, or straight up get your best man killed. Idiot. There are also colorless characters, but that doesn't make them immune to the triangle. Characters like Robin (Male) outright have a bonus advantage over colorless in addition to being effective against Red characters.

Here what the stats mean. They're very straightforward.
HP: This is health. If it hits zero, the character dies and is removed from the grid. There is no permadeath in FE:Heroes.
Attack: This is the damage stat, regardless of unit type.
Defense: Reduces physical damage, such as from swords, axes, etc.
Resistance: Reduces damage from spellcasters and other magical attacks.
Speed: If your character's speed is at least 5 higher than your opponent, you will attack twice in one combat exchange.
Might: This is from your weapon skill. It adds to your damage.
Skill Points: Use these to unlock skills and weapon upgrades. Higher quality (* rank) characters will have maore skills unlocked at level 1, and more available to learn.

Movement is split into four groups.
Infantry can only move 2 spaces and will only be able to move one space through forests.
Armoured can only move 1 space.
Flying can move 2 spaces regardless of terrain. In addition, they take bonus damage from archers. Be careful!
Cavalry can move 3 spaces but cannot move through forests.

Characters also have varying skills, and unlock more through leveling and ranking up. This can range from buffing allies, reducing enemy stats and even gaining movement options to weak team mates. There's a pretty solid variety, so go through your characters and see what's available. Or just ask Goons. Whatever.

-= Premium Currency =-

When you summon, you can get up to five heroes per session. Your first summon costs five orbs, with the following summons costing four orbs up until the final summon, costing only three. This is why the 20 orb mark is important, it's a full board and is the most optimal. However, if you're pulling for a specific character, only summon stones of it's color. It's not as effecient, but you won't be wasting orbs on pulls that have no chance of getting you your Smash Bros main. You'll probably start off doing 5-pulls as you need more variety in your roster and then switch to sniping a color once your barracks is more full.

Here are the rates for most summon banners:
5* (Focus) - 3%
5* (General) - 3%
4* - 58%
3* - 36%

The Appearance Rates will change slightly after every 5 summonings that do not result in any 5 star Heroes. Both the rate for 5 Star (Focus) and 5 Star (General) will increase by 0.25%, subtracting from the 4 and 3 Star categories, for every five such summons. This continues up to 115 summons, where the total Appearance Rate of 5 star Heroes will be 17.5%. After the 120th consecutive summon without a 5 star Hero, this total rate increases to 100%. When a 5 star Hero is eventually summoned, the rates will revert to to their default.

This means you have a 6% chance of rolling a 5* character. The "focus" refers to the highlighted heroes for the banner, usually shown on the banner image. You can get multiple 5* characters per roll, which seems to happen more often than it should. If you're incredibly unlucky you will eventually get guaranteed 5* character, this will happen after your 120th summon.

-=Story Maps=-
The main story maps and paralogues will be your main source of experience and orbs as a new player starting out. A new paralogue or story chapter comes out every two weeks or so. Once you're up and running they're mostly sources of orbs. Chain Challenges and Squad Assaults, also in the story map section, are much more difficult challenges where you have to complete multiple maps back to back. Normal difficult chain challenges, if left uncleared, can be a great source of exp and SP. Just surrender on the final map so you don't accidentally clear it.

-=Training Tower=-
This is a set of respawning, randomly generated maps. They're good for levelling character up and okay for gaining SP (though chain challenges are better).

-=Arena=-
Arena is where you battle other player's teams. However, they are controlled by the game's usual AI, so don't worry about learning a metagame. Your goal is to win 7 times in a row and rack up a ton of points, earning you feathers that rank up characters. You'll be given three different battle options in varying difficulty. The harder the match, the more points you earn. The battles are scaled to your team's levels, so don't hesitate to jump in. Arena Assault is a mode where you have to do seven arena battles in a row with a different team for each map. It requires you to have a fairly deep roster so don't worry too much about it at first.

-=Special Maps=-
This is where time-limited maps are stored. They can reward you with orbs, feathers, or characters. We'll probably be talking about them in the thread a lot when they appear too. They range from pitifully easy to fiendishly difficult.

-=Tempest Trials=-
This special mode appears about once a month and last for ten days. In it, you battle maps repeatedly with the same team, keeping damage and character deaths with you from map to map. You get points for completing maps faster or needing fewer teams to complete the set, and then you get a ton of prizes for those points.

-=Voting Gauntlet=-
Appearing about once per month, the voting gauntlet is a way to earn feathers while sighing dejectedly as the hottest anime girl in the contest beats your favorite, again.

-=Grand Conquest=-
Another roughly-monthly game mode, this time focusing on large-scale battle where both sides have more units than usual. Attached to an inexplicable map-conquering board game thing.

I'm new, help

In rough order of importance:
--Unless you have a reason to like one of the other units better, pick Lyn (the colorless unit) from the first free 5* choice
--For the second choice, Hector (the blue unit) will utterly dominate all early and mid-game content (up through lunatic GHBs or so). Veronica (the colorless unit) requires more effort to use, but will be better in the hardest content of the game, and won't be a slouch in the early stuff either
--I cannot emphasize enough that if you like one of the other choices to ignore this advice and pick them instead
--Pick whichever banner looks most appealing to you. If you don't know what to pick, the new player herofest banner is a very good choice. Use your single free pull from the other banners, and then start spending orbs on your chosen banner in full 20-orb pulls
--Do chapter one of the book II story to get a free 5* Fjorm
--Start doing the normal-mode paralogues until you make it to Xenlogue 3, which gives you a free 5* Ike
--Every time you have 20 orbs, until you feel like you have a decent roster, pull on your banner of choice
--Once you feel like you have enough units to start reliably doing stuff, you can decide whether you want to keep pulling or save for future banners. Once a month there's a legendar banner with an 8% chance at a 5* with all the trashy 5*s removed from the pool, so those are good banners to save for
--Continue doing the story on normal and hard, and lunatic where you can (but don't worry about doing the harder chapters on lunatic yet)
--Try to make an effort at doing arena. You don't have to worry about getting a good score yet, just have fun and enjoy the free feathers
--You can get some free rewards out of arena assault by deploying a single unit in your initial team, which will cause all seven of your opponents to be single-unit teams you can defeat easily
--Once you have 20,000 feathers, ask us for advice on spending them
--There's no real wrong way to play the game--even people just starting out can participate in content like tempest trials if they happen to be up

The good wiki:
https://feheroes.wiki

Discord channel:
https://discord.gg/qVFB9bV

I really like this game and now I want to play a real Fire Emblem! What should I play?

Fire Emblem no subtitle or Fire Emblem Sacred Stones for GBA are both excellent starting points, and GBA is emulatable on any phone that can play Fire Emblem Heroes. Fire Emblem Awakening for 3DS is also a good starting point. Once you jump in, we'd love to hear from you over in the Fire Emblem megathread.

Credit goes to AGoat for the original version of this OP.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Phone games suck.

That was my initial thought, but then I remembered Fire Emblem rules, so I am cautiously optimistic

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

This one's gonna be good though

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Dr Pepper posted:

I'm optimistic about this, since it's DeNA involved and they can actually make good gatcha games (unlike say, Gumi).

The fact that it's not just button mashing like Brave Frontier and their ilk is good. Mini-SRPG maps sounds like a fun little thing.

It'll ultimately come down to how useful the lower star units are and if the gatcha rates are anywhere in the realm of sane.

My suspicion is that due to the insanely high pool of available characters (compared to something like Fate/Grand Order where the pool to draw from is relatively limited) they can crank up the chance to get something good/popular fairly high without moving the chance to get something specific outside of whaling range.

Or they could just make the gacha a neverending stream of rolfs and martys I guess

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
This post is the new home for the thread hall of fame!

Also, a Hall of Fame in google sheets form:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18owhTCe4kmzlPODN99RvfLOhfZE08yxIplZS3GDvMvc/edit#gid=0

cheetah7071 posted:

The requirements for hall of fame are

-- be 5*+10
-- post in this thread at least a little
-- request it explicitly so I know you're actually proud of your +10

(Ostentatious, AverySpecialfriend, Blizzardvizard, Supercar Gautier, Senerio, Cheetah7071, Clawtopsy, Ostentatious, ChaosArgate, Zwingley, ApplesandOranges, Supercar Gautier, Ostentatious, Tithin, Retcon, Retcon, Roger Explosion, Emalde, UchihaHirou, Zwingley, Centzon Totochtin, LightningKimba, TheKingOfSprings, Genovera, Tithin, Clarste, SgtSteel91, ChaosArgate, ChaosArgate, Centzon Totochtin, Cheetah7071, Blizzardvizard, Blizzardvizard, Starsnostars, tithin, Shiny777, ChaosArgate, ApplesandOranges, FartingBedpost, Clawtopsy, Alxprit, Mirotic, Zwingley, Shadow Ninja 64, Oneavi, Gluten Freeman, mabels bug day, Shadow Ninja 64, Zwingley, ChaosArgate, mabels big day, mabels big day, BlackPersona, Momomo, scaterry, scaterry, scaterry, scaterry, scaterry, scaterry, scaterry, scaterry, wanda, wanda, wanda, Isoprene, Mirotic, ChronoReverse, Senerio, Cheetah7071, Jerry Manderbilt, THE loving MOON, Shadow Ninja 64, Zwingley, tithin, Gluten Freeman, Cheetah7071, Cheetah7071, Onmi, ChaosArgate, Clarste, Silver Falcon, Silver Falcon, ChaosArgate, Captain France, stratego, stratego, LightningKimba, stratego, stratego, stratego, stratego, stratego, stratego, FartingBedpost, Shadow Ninja 64, Natural 20, The White Dragon, The White Dragon, Gluten Freeman, Doctor Syrup, Mirotic, SL the Pyro, ChaosArgate, ChaosArgate, Cheetah7071, ChaosArgate, ChaosArgate, Psion, tithin, tithin, Centzon Totochtin, Centzon Totochtin, Centzon Totochtin, Folt the Bolt, Doctor Syrup, Mulderman, Silegna, ChaosArgate, Jerry Manderbilt, Biosterous, Octolady, THE loving MOON, silegna, mirotic, ChaosArgate, Doctor Syrup, Cheetah7071, SL the Pyro, FartingBedpost, Centzon Totochtin, tithin, BoneDaddy1969, Mirotic, Andrast, Shadow Ninja 64, Silver Falcon, Silver Falcon, ChaosArgate, LightningKimba, Lube Enthusiast, Natural 20, mabels big day, golden bubble, Centzon Totochtin, The Lord of Hats, Rudoku, ChaosArgate, Silver Falcon, cheetah7071, ChaosArgate, Mirotic, Silegna, Silver Falcon, ChaosArgate, ChaosArgate, Centzon Totochtin, ChaosArgate, SL the Pyro, Clarste, golden bubble, Nondevor, tithin, Lube Enthusiast, Gluten Freeman, Gluten Freeman, Gluten Freeman, Rannum, Nondevor, Lube Enthusiast)

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 6, 2019

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

MotU posted:

this game will be good and i will play it and angrily shake the gacha til I get a team of Strong Girls

Please game responsibly and don't be a whale

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Countblanc posted:

i sold my soul to google last summer and have like $12 in google play survey blood money saved up, i'm gonna be rolling in hectors

That's enough for five gacha rolls! Truly an embarassment of riches

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tae posted:

5 before or after you factor in the discounted orbs

After. You get 20 orbs for $12 (or 23 orbs for $13! such a deal!!!!)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Kelp Plankton posted:

im gonna spend hundreds of dollars on this game

not because i want to, but because i have to

Please game responsibly and don't be a whale

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If you must spend money on this game, set a reasonable, realistic monthly budget and stick to it

Please do not fund entire AAA video games out of your own finances

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Silver Falcon posted:

You keep saying this, and it's in the OP even. What does it mean?

I want to game responsibly!

Free to play games tend to fund themselves on the 80/20 principle where 80% of the money comes from 20% of the consumers (except it's more like the 99/1 rule where 99% of the income comes from 1% of the users). Rather than try to make a game that everyone will spend a few dollars on, they try to make a game that a few people will spend thousands or tens of thousands of dollars on. Such people are sometimes referred to as "whales"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I did some math, and assuming max bundles, FE Heroes is pretty cheap. Each gacha roll is $2.14 (assuming you buy the $75 orb bundle and use the full orb discount rather than chasing a specific color). Compared to something like Puzzles & Dragons, where a gacha spin is $3.50 at max bundle, or FFRK where a spin is $3.21

This could mean that the cool stuff is about 50% rarer or it could just be a cheaper game

That said, don't spend money on this game

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

MegaZeroX posted:

Erm, people can spend money on the game if they want to. In fact, some people have to, otherwise the game will either fail or they'll get more aggressive and make orb drops lower and spending money more and more of a requirement. That's kind of how FTP works. People should try to like not spend their life savings or whatever, but it is kind of silly to tell people not to spend money on a game.

We all collectively benefit from far away people spending money but every individual person who does will lose out because of it. It's the nature of the beast

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Micaiah is a good character in a wrapper of things that make her look like a bad character. 99% of the time, the character with a friendly animal companion, an unusual and strikingly beautiful physical trait, a curse that really makes her better than everyone else, and a secret royal heritage is just going to be complete garbage

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

for real though you've just described like 95% of characters in both mythology and fantasy fiction, minus the female pronoun, so hm.

Snow White is poorly written, too

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Clawtopsy posted:

I don't get it. I started Fire Emblem with Awakening. I started TRPGs with Final Fantasy Tictacs, and the Game Boy versions really didn't fill the hole and were completely lacking in tactical nuance. I got on board Awakening when I saw it was TRPG, enjoyed the colourful cast and unforgiving nature of the game.

Then I found out that this makes me forever a pleb. Sad.

It's okay, in 5 years you too can be smug about how you started with the 3DS instead of with the Switchcube 64

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

I complain about lack of Judgral representation enough I figured I should vote for it some more

I can't believe that in under a week I'll be able to disregard my own advice and become a whale

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Lord Koth posted:

And today brings a vote from me for the worst pseudo-Est in the series. Because just because she's an utterly horrible character in terms of gameplay doesn't mean she shouldn't get any votes.

...Vika?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Finishing off the Freege girls

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Nages posted:

What about Linda?

hm good point I guess I know who I'm voting for tomorrow

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Okay NOW I'm done with the Freege girls

can't believe there's only two more days of voting

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Only one day left

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Eopia posted:

So why are all of you splitting your votes like that? It makes it so that anyone who voted every day for a single character had 13x as much power in the poll as you did.

Speaking personally, I don't really care about my choices actually winning. I just wanna post them in this thread, and maybe give Nintendo's data analysts the information that yes, Olwen is popular enough to receive votes

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Dunban posted:

I accidentally voted for Arthur twice, RIP

There's two Arthurs anyways

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
From reddit:

That means that the game will come out around 5:00 PM EST on Wednesday, or 2:00 PM PST

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Upping my Thracia representation on this, the final day of voting

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Key thing here is that there's multiple gachas, which contain different character pools. There was also an "appearance rates" button so maybe you can actually judge just how absurdly rare your favorite is

I haven't actually played a gacha game before so I dunno if that's all normal but it struck me as a good sign

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Dr Pepper posted:

Rolling gatcha confirmed.

Also lol at you being unable to see what color units you get until after you commit orbs.

That part doesn't seem to be a huge deal as long as you save up 20 orbs before doing any rolling, which you really ought to do

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I know I keep saying to game responsibly but let's be honest I'm gonna whale it up until I have both young and adult Tiki

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Kelp Plankton posted:

another hands-on video about the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkJvpBoLKxY

lotta pics of people we haven't seen yet and some glimpses of dialogue and stuff

notably, linking your My Nintendo account apparently gives you access to 'special My Nintendo missions' which I'm guessing have special rewards and will cost My Nintendo coins to get access to? they did similar stuff with some bonus content for Miitomo and Super Mario Run so it makes sense

I wish this game was coming out tomorrow, instead of the day after

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

tithin posted:

What is a rolling Gatcha?

This will be my first mobile game so I'm guessing from context, but it seems that every time you fail to get a good character (whether that means a popular one or a 5-star one we don't know) the chance to get one goes up, until eventually it's 100%.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Adel posted:

Edit: actually, let's turn this into a real post. I'm conflicted on if I should play this on my tablet (android) or my phone (iphone). Tablet means bigger screen which is really useful for touch based combat and for generally having a better view (which I could see helping a lot) but putting it on my phone means I can pick it up and burn stamina when I'm out.

Unless this game is implemented in the worst possible way, it's going to be account based and you can just play on your tablet at home and on your phone when out

Also, this game needs to hurry up and come out so I have something to do on my phone other than read about the slow motion collapse of the American republic

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Dunban posted:

Looks like the gacha rates are 3% for 5-star, 36% for 4-star, and 61% for 3-star Heroes, with the probability for 5-star Heroes increasing each time you don't get one during a draw.

Do we know whether the characters are evenly distributed and star rating is the chase, or whether characters are also whalebait?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

characters have different star ratings, so presumably even 5 star characters have a 4 star variant.

Well I more meant, is Marth going to be equally likely as Marty because the "rare" thing is star ratings, rather than popular characters. I assume not, and whales can chase after both characters and stars in orthogonal axes.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

weapons are skills your characters can learn. the pool of skills is based on character, not star rating.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's possible from what we know that the pool of available weapons and skills increases with star rank, and natural 5-stars might start with better weapons and skills. SP might also reset when a character promotes.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah even I was assuming that the skill pool for a natural 5-star and a homegrown 5-star would be the same, but if you can't work on the skills properly until they hit 5 stars that would be super annoying.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My guess is that lunatic is tuned to be easy for whales and difficult but possible for non-whales

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The impression I've gotten from my friend who plays mobile games (again, this will be my first) is that during the swimsuit event normal play will be sufficient to give you someone popular in a bikini but if you really really want Lyn or whatever you gotta whale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I personally will be pandered to extremely effectively while insisting that I would never care about seeing an anime bikini on the forums