Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I always thought that too, but apparently there was less than 100 vote difference. If there was a guy robo-calling to spam votes, he probably does get credit for killing Jason.

Weeeelllll, technically the Red Hood is older, and was the Joker. But I think the Joker's origin story now is considered 'anything/everything', as he's treated as a malevolent constant. Although in the current New 52 I believe there are three separate Jokers who are running around, the classic prankster criminal with a Joker-faced helicopter, the Killing Joke version, and the cut-my-face-off evil incarnate Joker.

I didn't know that, good work comic book nut job.

As of the present timeline, there is only one Joker and he is dead until they get bored and decide to revive him. A prequel arc in B-Money very strongly implies that the old school Red Hood origin is the canonical one for New 52, and the Joker was just a charismatic gang leader. There was vaguery over whether the Joker is some immortal boogeyman that used a Lazarus Pit hidden beneath Gotham to maintain his life over centuries; a theory B-Money ultimately dismissed. The last maybe possibly sighting of Joker was a very eccentric man who had an ominous conversation with a then-amnesiac Bruce shortly before the start of Rebirth. As of now even Bruce grudgingly believes Joker is dead and gone.

There was actually a pretty impressive long run twist that Joker went undercover as a bright-eyed, optimistic new orderly at Arkham after his "death" in Death of the Family. He seemingly was doing great progressive things at Arkham and even earned B-Money's trust and respect, when in truth he was laying the groundwork for Endgame.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

MinibarMatchman posted:

No genderswap premiere skins confirmed, which completely squashes that fakeass "leak" which had stuff like Batwoman = Batman on it. That was the same one that said Vixen was in the roster.

Awwww I kind of want Batwoman all the same. Fingers crossed.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Didn't that take place pre-Re-Birth?

Yes, all of it did. Rebirth is a continuation of the new 52 story after Bruce computers his brain back to normal. If there's been mention of the Joker in Rebirth, I've missed it.

It's my impression Rebirth is not a universal reinvention like Flashpoint/New 52 was, just a numbering reset to entice new readers. Detective Comics hasn't even reset its issue numbers. Am I mistaken?

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 12, 2017

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I ask because the it was pretty explicit that there were 3 distinct Jokers, although I'm not current on the ongoing bat books so I don't know how that's been clarified/expanded upon.

Looked into this and I guess you're right. It never really came up in the Batman comic itself, which strikes me as terribly ironic.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

A harsh, poignant lens shined onto that most base truth of human nature: that nobody likes Arsenal.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Constantine has never really been a combatant, and even in his comics he'd regularly get the poo poo kicked out of him by regular dudes. He's a manipulator and schemer that gets other people to fight for him.

I only ever read his earlier vertigo stuff, but in that at least he was basically a regular dude with just enough arcane knowledge to gently caress with people and weasel out of trouble.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 16, 2017

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Plastic Man would be an awesome Shang Tsung analogue for this game.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Jimmy Hats posted:

items are always correct and competitive gaming is for dweebs

jimmy OUT

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I own MKX and may have accidentally picked Sub-Zero once but that could have just been a bad dream I had.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Oh no Wonder Woman get the robot suits we have to buy time for Neo and Trinity

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I choose to side with Braniac so I can eat delicious steak every day

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Gonna trick your Luigi right the gently caress out brosef.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

B-Money has the bleakest of Christmases.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Jason if you ran out of material midway through just go back to the shop and buy more don't commit to it. Come on buddy.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

SHOCKING CONCLUSION, A DARKER BATMAN, WHAT TWIST COULD COME NE oh it was Jason Todd in a Batman suit, whatever.

Legitimately interested to see why Green Arrow would throw in with King Louie though. It would be interesting if he and Black Canary end up being independents trying to balance all sides or something.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 19, 2017

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Kelp Plankton posted:

Grodd probably has his kid hostage

Well that's just loving dull. Which means it's probably true....

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

I just read Injustice Year 3 and i love all the silly poo poo of the Magic side of dc

rip in pieces, klarion the witch boy, and doctor occult

Etrigan throwing a temper tantrum after losing his host was probably my favorite part of that arc.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

PS: Darkseid.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Spikeguy posted:

The best part is how much of a poo poo Liu Kang is.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Please don't.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

All the Super moves for each character but Brainiac and Joker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECUxAzSw2GQ

All look slick, but I still like Black Adam the most. He's probably going to be my guy unless there's a real upset reveal at the last second.

Going to suggest that the guild name be Strength of Gooncules

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

MinibarMatchman posted:

man it's pretty crazy how far they've come with the faces of all the characters. Superman was super rough at first and looks completely different. I wish Black Adam didn't look like a guy from Goodfellas but ah well, it's funny.

He looks like a really buff Middle Eastern guy. It's mainly the hair that prompts that comparison I think.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I beg your pardon, Clock King was a Z-Tier Green Arrow villain. Harumph.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Love Darkseid's boss strut, and "your drought will not end today, cur" was my favorite retort. I'm eager to see how he plays.

Edit: holy poo poo dat super, Adam may have competition. I love the sideways look he shoots Fate before it goes off.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 25, 2017

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Jimmy Hats posted:

Wait, Harley killed Lobo?

No, but she did pull his head off prior to a much-needed therapy session. In the end it was the best thing for both of them.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

The punchline was the absolutely horrified look from Canary and Arrow at what looked for all the world like Harley gleefully murdering Lobo in front of them. This was immediately after Harley trying to convince them she was a hero now and to let her team up with them.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Honestly, killing Lobo is not enough to kill him, traditionally.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Edit: For some reason I thought this was the main story and not an arcade ending and I'm just being melodramatic. Nevermind.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 26, 2017

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Comics tie in probably fair game or needs spoiler tags but good to be informed.

I kind of want to see the arcade ending just to see what I can expex from everyone else, I mean it's like one fighter out of 28 right?

You're right. I thought initially that it was somehow the ending of the main story because I'm a dope. This is fine so long as talk is tagged. Sorry for the freak.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

His win screen is just the opponent painting their symbol on a cave wall.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

How about some completely unfounded "leaks"?

Not joking, I explicitly saw Black Manta in some trailer, I don't remember when. He may be a premier skin for Aquaman?

I finally took the drop and preordered the ultimate edition; I'm surprised at how hyped I am for this. Not sure whether I'll main Darkseid or Black Adam (have to see how the former plays), but I hope regardless of what I pick y'all will be patient with how much of a chump I am at this stuff.

Edit: Also who the gently caress wouldn't want Booster Gold, come on. His intro can be him getting punched into the arena by Doomsday.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

fadam posted:

Manta shows up during a stage transition.

Welp, that must be it. Ah well.

Has anyone truly given a drat about Spawn in over a decade? Shocking.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Didn't MacFarlane lose his poo poo over Angela getting appropriated into the general Marvel universe while Spawn got left in the dirt because of Neil Gaimen's ownership rights over the former or something? Could be garbage, I honestly am not invested enough in anything Spawn to really know better.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

MinibarMatchman posted:

I think that might be the dumbest one of all since Midnighter's powers are nothing like Batman's moveset at all.

Midnighter got marketed really heavily as "GRITTY ANTIHERO BATMAN WHOOOOOOO" during his New 52 return, mainly because he premiered in Grayson.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

MinibarMatchman posted:

No idea he was in Grayson, interesting. Still, he uses like, tonfa and baseball bats, not boomerangs and drone spheres and glide kicks. Maybe if the guyr who wrote the list omitted this premium skin from the list it'd be a little more believable but this would be like putting Wolverine in the game with Batman's moves.

His gimmick is that he's kind of like Cassandra Cain in that he got every possible combat scenario EVER computered into his brain so he can near-flawlessly predict people's reactions and fight moves ahead of time so he's like a super martial artist, which is where all the Batman comparisons come from. I never really read it much but my impression is that he's basically Stormwatch's dumb muscle and they only took him because they really wanted Apollo and they were kind of a package deal.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

C. Everett Koop posted:

Neither Spawn nor Hellboy will be in this game.

the real guest star comes from the hit wb show riverdale and it's jughead

Don't tease me with what will never be.

NikkolasKing posted:

So this is kind of random but my favorite character in Injustice's story was probably Green Arrow.

Is he like this in the comics? Maybe I could check out his series.

Gavok did some really excellent write-ups of each character and their history in the Injustice thread and his blog. You should check it out and see what you think. The short answer is that he's kind of complicated and has had a lot of personality revisions over his history.

Edit: I vaguely recall his New 52 series being an absolute disaster, but I never read it.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 26, 2017

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

KungFu Grip posted:

Actually they should unironically put DC's Frankenstein into the game.

They really loving should. He's a legit awesome character and has had some great moments.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Jimmy Hats posted:

I would suggest not watching Arrow as he is completely devoid of any human joy or mirth in that show. The worst form of green arrow.

Completely agree, Arrow is like the most maudlin daytime soap without an iota of self awareness. It's a hard watch even for ironic enjoyment and you shouldn't use it as a metric for the comic.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Doesn't the guy on Arrow not even have a goatee?

It prominently features Deathstroke as an overweight Australian man who embarks on a years long campaign of vengeance because he got friend zoned by a woman he was incapable of managing a single compete sentence of conversation with.

Oh, and the reason Queen has the ability to be Green Arrow? Knockoff Japanese PCP

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

THE DARK ARCHER :black101:

It's all treated with 110% deadly seriousness by the way. It's maybe worth dipping into just to marvel at this fact.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 26, 2017

• Locked thread