Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I seem to recall Colin Edwards having some harsh things to say about the 3 cylinder Aprilia. Something about it having extreme vibration issues? Might have read that in Spalding's book on MotoGP Technology (which is starting to get outdated -- wonder if there are plans for a 3rd edition).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Slavvy posted:

Been thinking about penalty chat w.r.t. exceeding track limits ala Rossi. We have transponders on all the bikes and standardised electronics. Why can't they set up a GPS nerf-zone of some kind? Stray further than a meter beyond the track limit and your pit limiter kicks in.

I think that's been proposed in other racing series, like having the Virtual Safety Car speed limiter kick in if an F1 car goes out of bounds. The problem is that taking throttle control away from the driver could be a huge safety issue, especially if the run-off isn't grippy tarmac.

Maybe they need to make the surface of the run-off something that slows vehicles down, like a squishy polymer that bogs the tires like mud without sticking to them. That's gotta be a huge technical undertaking, tho...

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

nsaP posted:

The bike has gotten lost on Hayden and Crutchlow just off the top of my head

Yup, happened to Crutchlow...last year? Year before? I want to say the bike lost track of where the transponder loops started, so it was loading the wrong maps for the corners.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

I'm in a video meeting, and it's really hard to maintain a poker face while reading that.

I'm taking it on as a personal challenge.

"And we could be in luck. Some kid in Moto2 called Tetsuta Nagashima said you could have whatever his Kalex doesn’t need. I think that’s what he said. He’s Japanese, so he’s very polite but quite hard to understand. So I drew him a picture and he gave me an octopus his girlfriend has sex-fantasies about."

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
http://www.riminitoday.it/cronaca/incidente-stradale/tremendo-schianto-nicky-hayden-bici-pilota-di-superbike-coinvolto-nell-incidente.html

The photos are worrying :ohdear:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Yeah, induced coma usually just means, "trauma is really bad, so we don't want the patient trying to regain consciousness until we get everything tied back together." It's bad, but not necessarily Schumacher bad.

That said, I'm gutted as gently caress right now. Nicky's been one of my favorites since watching Mark Neale's documentaries, which is what got me into MotoGP in the first place.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Wirth1000 posted:

He has a cerebral edema which they can't even operate on

gently caress.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
http://www.express.co.uk/sport/othersport/806275/Nicky-Hayden-crash-Italy-Valentino-Rossi-emotional-tribute-MotoGP-rival

Aw man.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Not only survived, but rode like a madman in qualifying the next day. :australia:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Hooooly crap. Glad I didn't read any spoilers before watching.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
loving gently caress.

I so wanted to see him win the WSBK championship some day. RIP Nicky.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
If I watch it at work, will I have to go over to where the F1 fans sit and ask for a hug afterward?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
My work computer needed a re-image last week, and I've been waiting a few days to figure out what to put as my desktop background. Just restored my images folder, and this was near the top:

That'll work. Wish I had it in higher res, but I can't even find the original on Motomatters anymore. Maybe I'll bug Scott Jones for one after things have calmed down.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Slavvy posted:

I've never really understood why people rag on losail, it's rad.

I like playing it in the older MotoGP games. There's not much elevation change, but the corners have great flow. Plus the night races always look nifty.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
GAH. STAHP.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Barnsy posted:

On a scale of 1 to 10, how embarrassing is that for the works Yamaha team?

Not as embarrassing as it was for the Ducati works team to see Redding place well in Q2 while Lorenzo languished at the rear end-end of the grid.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Maybe HRC is spending too much time socializing with Honda F1?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

algebra testes posted:

Gary McCoy says hi.

And then Casey Stoner slides past with Nicky Hayden, on a pair of 990cc fire breathers...

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Slavvy posted:

Vinales is really turning into a little bitch since he got on a good bike. Seems like every weekend he has some kind of kerfuffle with someone and gets upset about it.

Doesn't seem out of character for the guy who tossed his toys out of the pram and had to be coaxed back...in Moto3, of all levels.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Wirth1000 posted:

Angel Nieto has died.

:(

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Crutchlow :staredog:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

hayden. posted:

I don't understand what happened with Lorenzo. He was leading the race, and yeah he delayed on going in, but not as much as Rossi. I guess he had the right pace on the wet tires, but wasn't able to replicate it on the slicks? Just seemed weird to do so well and then so bad.

The Ducati is REALLY sensitive to tire compounds.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Apparently if Rossi wins here, that makes 30 unique tracks that he's posted a win at.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Slavvy posted:

Max biaggi won the loving championship twice. The first time he was older than Rossi is now.

The last time I watched WSBK was when Max was still riding in it. His riding is visual poetry.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

n8r posted:

James Toseland is a better example of someone who came from WSBK and did jack poo poo.

I got the impression, after speaking to a band-mate of Toseland's, that his true love was always music, and the injuries after his crash at Aragon were something he didn't want to repeat.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Once again, understanding tires is the blackest art in MotoGP...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Are there any prop bets on Dovi winning because Marquez pushes too hard and crashes out?

• Locked thread