Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
People want me to post this in FA:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zBtK0ULH71mMiRCGBidbjpl3YqrdzD-QRYmom3mi6u0/edit?usp=sharing

I basically just slammed together two common breakdowns of the Hero's Journey. More info re the Harmon Embryo can be found here and is definitely worth a read -- the whole series is wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

A human heart posted:

Isn't a lot of this advice quite biased in favour of extremely formulaic genre fiction narratives with plot and characters as the main focus. like you're spending all this time talking about plot but lots of great books don't have much of a plot or its fairly unimportant?
People who are ready to go out and create rule-breaking masterpieces probably don't need forum threads to help them out.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
HEY GUYS LET'S MAKE A HUMAN HEART HAPPY, BUT I ALSO HAVE A REAL QUESTION

HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT NOVELS LIKE INVISIBLE CITIES THAT ARE MORE A STRING OF THEMATICALLY-CONNECTED VIGNETTES TIED TOGETHER BY A LOOSE FRAMING NARRATIVE

HOW DO THEY GENERATE FORWARD MOMENTUM WITHIN THE NOVEL, IN THE ABSENCE OF TRADITIONAL STORYTELLING STRUCTURES

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
IT IS A THEMATIC CHOICE

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
YOU CAN'T TALK TO ME LIKE THAT I READ INFINITE JEST

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

TequilaJesus posted:

What's everyone's thoughts on spicing up dialogue tags? One person in my writing group says I use "he said" too much. When I try to throw in "he replied/he asked/he interrupted/he shouted" etc., another will tell me I need to stick with "he said."
Stick with 'he said' 99% of the time. It's one of the invisible phrases of the English language. The advice to "spice is up" tends to come from high-school creative writing classes, which are designed around improving kids' vocabulary instead of writing good prose.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I've seen M-Dashes for dialogue in three places

1) modernist/postmodernist authors trying to break the rules to make a point
2) very old European authors
3) people trying to evoke very old European authors

Here's a general guideline: if you're going to break the rules, know what it means to break them. It feels to me like m-dash dialogue has a very restricted set of uses, beyond which it's ugly and distracting. Maybe you want it to be ugly and distracting (in which case, cool) but be aware of the response it gets.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
A Human Heart, has anybody ever told you that you're needlessly abrasive? You asked a question, people answered it, then you insulted the people who answered it. You don't get to act like the !!!ONLY MATURE ADULT!!! if you refuse to court anybody who politely disagrees with you.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Yo A Human Heart, I just wanted to say that I appreciate the stuff you've been posting. I shouldn't have snapped before, and it's good to have people asking those sorta questions.

We get a lot of new people looking for basic advice so we tend to lean that way, but there's also a lot of talented folks and it's not a crime to ask us to be better.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 20, 2017

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
*sees a child get their hand torn off in an industrial accident*

"man, top hats are the poo poo"

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

sebmojo posted:

Could you please listen to what people are telling you. The only way to write is to write, so do it and then rewrite it when it is terrible. It's ok to be terrible. Be terrible. I require you to be terrible. Be all the terrible you can be, Fruity20.
This is an excellent piece of advice. The first 1000 things you write are gonna suck. I've been writing a short story a week for a decade and I'm just now at a state where I'm occasionally happy with my own writing.

The first story I ever wrote was about a kid on a trip to the museum who got teleported back to ancient egypt when he touched a mummy, then he woke up in his bed. It was all a dream ... or was it?!? because there was sand in his hand so it's like maybe it wasn't a dream. Now I get invited to fancy literary things where there's free wine and you'd better bet I wouldn't be smashing back free platters of fancy cheese if I'd given up because I sucked. I sucked for a solid 20 years and even now I'm not convinced.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

D34THROW posted:

Anyone ever successfully written a short story (or short story series) or novel (or novel series) using an RPG system to determine the flow of things? Basically playing, say GURPS, against yourself. I'm thinking of doing so because I've tried collaborative writing before and I really like the unpredictability of it, so I'm thinking RPGs as a guide might be a way to incorporate that into my writing proper.
Late but I've been trying this out recently: I create a setting, port it into whatever system the group play, then just let them loose and see how they interact with it. One of the things I've found with novel writing is that characters are disobedient and outlines rarely hold together when things hit the road BUT also that your best material often comes out of being forced to adapt to something unexpected, and RPGs are just like, a supercharged version of that, because players' minds are so much more outside your control than characters'.

Junpei posted:

My idea does come from a place of passion but I won't lie and say that I haven't seen a marketing angle for this project:

"Preteen and teen girls like YA fantasy novels. Preteen and teen girls like anime. What if there was a YA fantasy novel that was anime-esque?"

So I'm not denying that there isn't going to be at least a little anime in this, I just don't want to go full:

...that.

And there's some other influences, Journey to the West is a pretty solid one as well. I have an Appeal I'm going for, but I don't want to alienate other audiences with too many Gratuitous Weeb Words like "doki-doki" and "kokoro" and so on and so forth.
I believe Patrice Caldwell is super into Journey to the West and handles YA, she's definitely worth a ping when you get around to querying. I don't wanna push to NOT embrace the anime thing (there's definitely a market and appeal to some agents) but having a counterpoint from classical literature is really strong. My general rule with stuff like anime has been like, it's cool that it influences you but I want to see it's not the only thing that influences you. There's definitely an angle there, "this is for people who love anime but I also know my poo poo c.f. prose fiction and I'm bridging the gap between two things I love while smartly getting rid of the poo poo that doesn't work."

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 16, 2021

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Stuporstar posted:

Does anyone have a link to that old post on TV Tropes where the dude was agonizing having to rewrite how many health potions he gave his protagonist because he didn’t have enough at the end to defeat the big bad and get his “random drop girlfriend”? :allears:
This wasn't TVT, was it? Pretty sure it was a creative convention original, dude had been scouting for beta readers in the book barn and I was one of them. It was like a decade ago and now I'm worrying I got a wire crossed or something but I'm like 70% sure it happened entirely over here, and the thread is where "if you want to cast a shadow, move a mountain" comes from.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Nov 23, 2021

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

General Battuta posted:

Wait how the gently caress is there competitive D&D
In older editions it sort of makes sense, but competitive 5e is ridiculous and seems to attract the worst grognards imaginable. They act like it's DOTA or something and if you pick anything except the S-Tier subclasses you're throwing and you're a terrible rear end in a top hat loser and it's like, c'mon man 5e is a kiddy pool, you're not impressing anybody by doing laps super fast.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

FightingMongoose posted:

Here we go again
Just a note, I think that should be witches' coven rather than witches coven; it is a coven both consisting of and belonging to multiple witches.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I feel like it's way too dense re worldbuilding elements? There are a lot of big fantasy names that we don't have context for and so they're really hard to sink your teeth into. We've got:

1) the Conclave
2) Chanaz
3) the Aleznuaweite Guild
4) resonance disciplines
5) Ennuost Yrg
6) Lowdocks
7) Houses/House-Born
8) Petition Day
9) Supplicants

quote:

Rahelu’s parents couldn’t afford to send their magically talented daughter to the Conclave so they did the next best thing: they sold what they couldn’t carry and left Chanaz behind. For they have heard that the Aleznuaweite Guild will train anyone in the resonance disciplines and everyone who is willing to put in the work can rise above the station of their birth to the level of their talent—even a foreign fisher brat without a coin to her name.

When they arrive, Rahelu discovers that the reality of life in Ennuost Yrg is very far from her parents’ dream. Not only is their new home in the Lowdocks also home to the very worst denizens of the city, but her parents struggle to catch enough fish to stay ahead of the loan sharks—and Rahelu herself can hardly keep up with the privileged House-born Guild trainees.

The only thing sustaining her is the thought of Petition Day. Once a year, hundreds Petition to join one of the great Houses. If Rahelu is accepted, she’ll be able to move her family out of the Lowdocks and achieve that dream of a better life at last. But the Houses have exacting standards—and only the twenty best Petitioners will win places as Supplicants.

Rahelu’s parents sacrificed everything for that dream: will Rahelu be willing to do the same?
Oh these things, from that blurb, I have a really solid picture of the Lowdocks and the rest are sort of ... vague fuzzy fantasy-places and things (e.g. I read Resonance as "probably magic?"), and I think you need to identify which ones matter and focus on them in depth rather than the shotgun spray you've for there. Like, for example, does Chanaz matter in the story? It seems like a place they leave and don't come back to, but you've put it front and center in your opening para in a way that you're probably better-off to reserve for elements that actually matter. Why does the Conclave matter if that's the place she doesn't go? It comes before the Guild in the blurb but the Guild seems far more important plot-wise. If they're an antagonistic force then bring them in like that, but right now they're just ... kinda there?

To me, it seems like the elements that actually matter are:

1) Rahelu
2) The Guild
3) Resonance
4) Ennuost Yrg (the city where The Lowdocks are?)
5) Petition Day

There's a tight and muscular plot in there, poor child has a gift and manages to rise up through society through merit, with a clear and concrete endgoal that she needs to hone her skills for, it's just sort of currently playing second fiddle to a bunch of worldbuildy stuff rather than being supported by it. It takes three paragraphs to get to Petition Day, which seems like the protag's primary motivation? You want to get to her current needs/goals as quickly as possible rather than taking the scenic route through the backstory.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 4, 2022

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
As I understood it, the NO LGBT+ thing was very strictly in reference to LitRPGs, which tend to have a younger male readership that has very specific trope expectations (read: there is one dude with a harem of women) and will review bomb if they're not catered to.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

General Battuta posted:

You're hosed. But you'll be hosed no matter what, the SFF community is just pathologically broken.

Do not engage with anyone, hide and keep to yourself.
My debut comes out in June and I have a Twitter Presence that I feel obligated to keep up for the sake of publicity and also this is absolutely true and I have been making GBS threads bricks about it for over a year.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Turns out essentialism isn't just real but good business sense.
I mean it's not even that, it's that there are noted bad actors (LET'S SAY TWO OF THEM, FOR NO REASON) who've figured out they can start dogpiles for clout and they are absolutely willing to lie to set the mob on you.

It's not even taking out of context any more, it's just lies. There is no standard of conduct that'll get the target off your back.

change my name posted:

Run the script/service that deletes all of your tweets up until a certain period (the last year?)

Also don't get discouraged when crazy people come after you either on social media or Goodreads, just ignore their likely unfounded complaints
I do this already: everything older than 2 weeks get zapped.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I strongly disagree that one shouldn't write outside their experience, but with a few core caveats:

1) somebody who has lived a particular experience is much more likely to understand and articulate it well, and that will benefit the work creatively and in terms of marketing c.f. publicity etc, authenticity sells
2) if you're writing a marginalised experience outside your own, you owe it to the people who do live that experience to do the research. Don't just consult with them, loving listen to them.

Which might feel like splitting hairs but I really don't think it is: nobody should be barred from telling a particular story, the problem is telling it badly, and if it's outside your experience then you've got more work to do to make it good.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
It's like hey, I wrote this book while living in Kuala Lumpur, and KL rubbed off on it hugely, but I'm not Malaysian. Not even a little bit.

This book got picked up by a Big 4 publisher.

Because I did my research. It was a place I lived, the place where I landed my first publishing credits, a place where I still have a bunch of friends who are writers who I trust to call me out on my bullshit. Nobody has ever complained about the Asian elements in the setting. The problem isn't a white guy writing Asian worlds, it's when white guys joke that their research was "eating pocky". Neither readers nor the industry have a problem if you do the loving legwork.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

That’s a lot of bricks, maybe take up masonry on the side?
yeah I'm saving up for a house

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Junpei posted:

You know what that's a fair point, I haven't really been offering much of my own opinion because... well I'm new here so I feel like my opinions are less valid or at the very least less thought-out than most of you Big Shot Super Writers With Experience.

Anyway I find the line just kind of amusing, and I probably wouldn't cut it but I admit that it is kind of cheesy.
Everybody was new here once! The way you learn and develop as a writer is by putting your own stuff out there, and that always carries the risk that you'll get it wrong, and that's totally fine! It's better to take a risk and stumble than to cling to a holding pattern. CC was a core part of my development as a writer, and that's largely because it's chill but no-bullshit, people aren't interested in building a hugbox but they're not gonna be assholes if you get something wrong, because we were all new once. The Big Shot Super Writers With Experience all took risks and stumbled over and over again, and that's totally expected.

Also like, we're a resource -- we're here to help, not to burn you down. People get into storytelling because they love stories, and enabling others to tell their own stories loving rules.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
It's a very arch line, but if that's the intent then it lands; sometimes you gotta just swing for the fences. If the whole book makes choices that big and bold then it might come off silly, but also if the whole book is extremely po-faced and serious it'll come off even sillier – it works if it's in a text trying to ride that razor, that's pulpy enough for it to fit but not so pulpy that it gets drowned out.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Fate Accomplice posted:

thank you - my best guess before this was a shortening of archetypal.
Yeah it's ... Big, On-The-Nose. It is both sincerely Bold and also Drag-Queen-Saying-Your-New-Haircut-Is-Bold.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I think there is a joy when characters act out, though -- robots follow orders, people don't, and when it suddenly occurs to you that there's just no way x would do y like the outline says, you know you're onto something, that you've written a person. To say that they're writing themselves is a metaphor, but it's a very fine metaphor.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Yeah I mean, you need craft and diligence and dedication to put yourself into a position where you can – to get a bit fuckin poetic but hopefully demystify how this poo poo actually works – channel the muses. A writer with craft and no inspiration will write competent-but-derivative work, a writer with inspiration and no craft will write crap.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Like, I do not like discussing The Craft in purely technical terms, this Tatyana Tolstoya quote has been living in my head rent-free every since I saw it and ... yeah that's kinda what it feels like; there is a magic to Inspiration, something of the touch of the divine, it feels like life moving under your fingers. I don't think mysticism is entirely the wrong path, if anything I think we rely too much on beat sheets, on techniques, on trying to be coldly logical in the face of something that sometimes feels loving supernatural.

quote:

A “pre-Square” artist studies his craft his entire life, struggling with dead, inert, chaotic matter, trying to breathe life into it; as if fanning a fire, as if praying, he tries to ignite light within a stone; he stands on his tippy toes, craning his neck in an attempt to peek where the human eye cannot reach. Sometimes, his efforts and prayers, his caresses, are rewarded: for a brief moment, or maybe for a long while, “it” happens, “it” “appears.” God (an angel, a ghost, a muse, or sometimes a demon) steps back and acquiesces, letting go from his hands those very things, those volatile feelings, those wisps of celestial fire—what should we call them?—that they saved for themselves, for their wondrous abode that is hidden from us. Having solicited this divine gift, the artist experiences a moment of acute gratitude, unhumiliating humility, unshameful pride, a moment of distinct, pure, and purifying tears—both seen and unseen—a moment of catharsis. But “it” surges, and “it” retreats, like a wave. The artist becomes superstitious. He wants to repeat this moment, he knows that, next time, he may not be granted a divine audience, and so his spiritual eyesight opens up, he can sense with deep inner foreknowledge what exactly—avarice, selfishness, arrogance, conceit—may close the pearly gates in front of him. He tries to wield his inner foreknowledge in such a way as to not sin before his angelic guides; he fully understands that he’s a co-author at best, or an apprentice—but a crowned co-author, a beloved apprentice. The artist knows that the Spirit blows wherever it pleases. He knows that he, the artist, has done nothing in his earthly life to deserve being singled out by the Spirit, and so if that happens to pass then he should joyfully give thanks for this wonder.

A “post-Square” artist, an artist who has prayed to the Square, who has peeked inside the black hole without recoiling in horror, doesn’t believe the muses and the angels; he has his own black angels, with short metallic wings—pragmatic and smug beings who know the value of earthly glory and how to capture its most dense and multilayered sections. Craft is unnecessary, what you need is a brain; inspiration is unnecessary, what’s needed is calculation. People love innovation, you need to come up with something new; people love to fume, you need to give them something to fume about; people are indifferent, you need to shock them: shove something smelly in their face, something offensive, something repugnant. If you strike a person’s back with a stick, they’ll turn around; that’s when you spit in their face and then, obviously, charge them for it—otherwise, it’s not art. If this person starts yelling in indignation, you must call them an idiot and explain to them that art now consists solely of the message that art is dead—repeat after me: dead, dead, dead. God is dead, God was never born, God needs to be treaded upon, God hates you, God is a blind idiot, God is a wheeler-dealer, God is the Devil. Art is dead and so are you, ha ha, now pay up! Here is a piece of excrement for it; it’s real, it’s dark, it’s dense, it’s locally sourced, so hold it tight and don’t let it go. There is nothing “loving and gentle” out there and there never was, no light, no flight, no sunbeam through a cloud, no glimmer in the dark, no dreams, and no promises. Life is death; death is here; death is immediate.
[source: https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/the-square]

And I understand this need to remind baby writers "no, that comes later, first you need to do the hard yards, you can't catch lightning in a bottle without first breaking a lot of bottles", but I can't bring myself to push it away, that feels like consigning myself to the sunken place.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Seems like it would a helpful tool for editing, but a lot of work, particularly at longer lengths? It's something I'd consider for a writer who's still learning to maybe try out with some shorts, to help get a better idea of things, but for longer texts the cost/benefit ratio seems wack. Might be a good tool in longform if an individual scene isn't working?

Still, it seems both slower and less effective than the eternal god-tier Unfucking Your Writing When You're Stuck trick, which is (this is not a joke: try it) switching the entire doc into comic sans.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
(from vague memory of the science, the reason this works is because Comic Sans was designed to be legible for people with dyslexia, and each letter is 100% distinct from each other letter, and so reading it hits a different part of your brain than reading other typefaces – you process it more like images than language. What that actually means while writing is that if you switch into comic sans, it does not matter how much a piece matters to you or how recently you wrote it, it will instantly feel like Somebody Else's Writing. Instant distance and objectivity. It's like a magic trick, not loving around when I say it probably saved my career)

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
oh yes this is absolutely critical, do NOT submit in comic sans, it is a great editing tool but please don't actually keep your MS in it

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
It just strikes me as personal preference? And hey, as a counterpoint: the books described sound horribly boring to me. You shouldn't kill off characters if there's no good (plot/character/tone) reason to do so, and overusing it will quickly numb any shock value it has, but I don't think the tumblr post is useful writing advice beyond the rather banal "here's a thing some readers enjoy"

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I mean, it feels like a valid criticism of the point? There are readers who really enjoy stories about alien robots tentacle-loving each other, and that is a perfectly valid preference, but "your piece of literary realism about growing up queer in the 90s is bad because it didn't contain tentacle gently caress robots" is bad crit, and it's rooted in this idea I've seen floating around that there are Inherently Good Tropes and Inherently Bad Tropes and the value of a story is based on which ones you choose. I don't like questions like "are redemption arcs bad" either because it assumes there's a single answer rather than the always-frustrating but rarely wrong "it depends."

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

General Battuta posted:

Game of Thrones is well remembered for its character deaths because they're not twists at all. They're clearly set up way in advance and a bunch of people say "bro if you keep acting like this you're going to die."

The reason they're shocking and memorable is that readers expect the narrative to avert the car crash, and instead the car crash happens. That's the logic of good tragedy.
Yeah this is also why I got annoyed when people said the ending of Arcane was "too dark" and "came out of nowhere" like no, it wasn't just hinted at, it was very clearly telegraphed as the more likely of two paths Powder was going to go down, and you want somebody to save her, to make it better, but every time they try it just gets worse and twists the knife. You can't watch it and not see it coming, but you hope for the nice ending and then when it plays out exactly like you'd expect it burns.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

sebmojo posted:

It is called weetbix emperor and was self published so may not be possible unfortunately
Leng's in Aussie, right? I'm sure we could mail a copy across the ditch.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Leng posted:

Oh the author's a Kiwi!
we honestly don't know how it happened but CC is like 70% Wellingtonian at this point, whole thing's a right bloody state

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I think fanfic is a really interesting incubator for talent, and whenever a 19 year-old appears outta nowhere with a solid complete highly-quality MS (I am not insanely jealous of Chloe Gong why would you suggest that) you can put good money on it that they've been writing fanfic all throughout high school.

That said, a pretty major caveat: fanfic – in large part because the tag system – tends to be extremely tropey, and fanfic writers sometimes stumble over the expectations of readers unfamiliar with those tropes. Particularly WRT shipping, there's a whole internal universe of understandings and expectations that vanish as soon as you leave Ao3, and you need to be mindful that you're writing for a broader audience. I've worked in publishing but I don't read fanfic, and I've come to recognise aa bunch of them, and I really do worry that they're not going to fly with broader audiences unless handled with a lot of care. You can't just be like "it's enemies to lovers!" or "it's a coffeeshop AU!" and instantly get a bunch of people picking it up, y'know? Because outside of fanfic circles, readers don't care.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 21, 2022

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Nae posted:

I think Coffeeshop AU (and other alternate universe concepts, like High School/Office) are non-starters because they rely too heavily on the original IP as a point of reference. You can't have an alternate universe when there's no original universe you're subverting. On the other hand, tropes like enemies-to-lovers/friends-to-lovers are just relationship paradigms and can pretty easily be transferred to original stories.

If you're trying to file the serial numbers off your fanfic about Cloud and Tifa, you're going to do a lot better if your plot has more meat than 'they work together in a coffee shop and it's cute.' The relationship paradigm tropes can fit in any number of plots, but coffee shop and the like aren't as likely to work unless there's some other conflict beyond the cute.

I try to keep up with the queries being posted on r/PubTips to see what else people are shopping around, and there's one query that keeps coming back that's very clearly using the Hanahaki flower disease* with a different coat of paint. If the pages are any good, I suspect it'll sell, because it's a clever concept and I'm shocked no one's stolen it from fanfic sooner. Like the other relationship paradigm stuff, you can drop it into any number of settings and it works, because it's a pre-made plot that only requires two characters in love. Throw together some decent characters and an interesting setting and it basically writes itself.

*This is a fanfic trope where someone who falls in unrequited love starts barfing up flowers and it's fatal unless they agree to have their memories of their beloved removed (or something like that). I don't know where it came from, but it's big enough now that it exists as its own tag as part of Soulmate Alternate universes.

Jesus, I didn't think I read that much fanfic...
They can be transfered to original stories, and often are, but they need to be able to stand on their own, and often I see them as sort of an end in-and-of-themselves and it just doesn't fly. It feels like fanfic readers will often search tags for tropes like that, and so you can cater for readers by targetting that and then hyperfocusing on it in the text, but it's ... it's just a trope, it's not able to be a load-bearing part of the story for general readers unless you work really hard. The Shadow and Bone adaptation had an enemies-to-lovers arc that I really enjoyed but it's because other stuff is happening around it. I'm not really sure how to explain the problem I'm seeing it's like ... the tropes come first and the story comes second?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Like, I read a piece of original fiction recently that I did not like because it felt too fanficcy, in that the author clearly seemed bored with everything that wasn't the ships, and it telegraphed its big trope moments in really obvious ways because it wanted the reader to squee about them, the world felt poorly-realized and then in critical plot scenes it kinda just blew past everything, because it felt single-mindedly focussed on, well ... fanfic stuff. I still stand by fanfic as a valuable form of prose, I just think people who only read and write fanfic need to be cognizant of the world outside their scene. It's not just them that has the problem either: fantasy written by people who only read fantasy is dire, I'm just seeing a lot more fanficcy submissions than bad fantasy ones so it's on the brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Leng posted:

My turn to have a very weird question: which form of English should I use for my second kids' book?

I'm Australian but I know most of the people who buy my books are American, so my first book is published in American English. This didn't cause any issues, even for my Australian readers, because we're just so used to seeing American English everywhere. However, one of my Canadian beta reader tripped up on an Australian expression, which then made me think about the fact the second book is actually set in Sydney and whether it's weird to have American English with a book that's so obviously Australian in other respects.

I could just...switch the second book over to Australian English, but that's also super weird. I know trad published authors would have proper UK vs US editions etc but I don't see that being worth it for me (it's twice the back matter to update everywhere). But I've also never seen mixed English use for books in a series?

I am probably overthinking all of this and it doesn't really matter. Does anyone have a view?
If you're an ANZ writer I feel like this essay is pretty essential reading, and it's been weighing on me a lot too — there IS a path to having both and Gideon the Ninth threaded the needle, but it's a tricky space to navigate.