Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
poo poo, I've been counting down to ST without even realizing it means fantasy baseball time is here again! I learned a lot over the course of last year and ended up coming in 2nd, which of course means I will step on my own dick and totally gently caress myself in the draft and cellar-dwell all season now.

Then again, I have some cheap-rear end/good pitching I'll be keeping, plus I picked up El Gary as soon as he got called up :getin:

EDIT: Also PitcherList is a pretty great resource, especially when looking at streaming options in their daily updates.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Doghouse posted:

I came in 2nd last year in a pro h2h 12 5x5 5-teamer, with kenta maeda and random streaming pitchers :grin:

I got Maeda for $1 in one of the last rounds of the draft and I still feel pretty fuckin :smug: about it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

DAIRY KING posted:

probably dropped the ball (ha ha) on this one but are there any goon leagues open still for the 17 season. I haven't played in a while and would love to play again.

:20bux: h2h that I'm so darn tempted to get in on but I dunno if I can actually handle two leagues.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Spoeank posted:

Never heard of it. I usually look at the Fangraphs ones and take them with a grain of salt.

Except they have Andrew Miller as literally the best pitcher in baseball which I'm kinda buying. Best WHIP, ERA and K/9 per ZiPS

With Miller you may be punting on both W/QS and SV, though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Spoeank posted:

I didn't say for fantasy baseball purposes, just overall he's tops in those 3 categories.

Oh, yeah, he's a loving killing machine and he's working on a changeup now too.

I have a feeling a lot of people are gonna burn a too-high draft pick on him this season, though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Last year I kept Miller, then dropped him for Betances when Miller broke his hand, then picked him back up before opening day (then dropped him for Melancon on the WW in the first couple of weeks.)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Spoeank posted:

Jon Gray.

Discuss.

In an NL-only league, maybe. You're pretty much punting on ERA but his WHIP was serviceable and he was top-10 for Ks and K/9 (actually #9 K/9 for both leagues.)

If you have bench space and can grab him late you could treat him like a streamer in away games and probably do pretty well. I'd rather bank on actually streaming him, though.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 1, 2017

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Spoeank posted:

Jon Gray had more than half his starts go for 2 ER or less.

His ERA was higher on the road than at home.

His K-BB% is near-elite.

His HR/FB% was at its worst when his ERA was at its lowest.

What the gently caress are you up to Jon Gray.

Shame on me for not checking splits. :saddowns:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

the_american_dream posted:

Thought I got the site from here but its not in the OP so maybe not.

Pitcherlist is also a good site to follow with really solid pitcher rankings

Also so many gifs.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Doghouse posted:

Follow his rankings at your own risk. He was encouraging everyone to draft stroman and wainwright last year. The gifs are super awesome tho

I only found out about the site during the season, but his round-ups and streaming stuff is real helpful.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
God help me I just joined a 12-teamer H2H league with my brother and his friends with a $225 buy in.

Jingleheimer posted:

I could use some keeper advice. My league is a 12 team H2H points league, and we do an auction draft with a $260 budget. I have to keep at least 5 players but no more than 9, here's what I'm looking at:

Todd Frazier - $20
Jonathan Villar - $10
Gregory Polanco - $5
Ben Zobrist - $9
Adam Eaton - $2
Nomar Mazara - $10
Shin Soo Choo - $10
Joey Gallo - $10
Joe Panik - $6
Bartolo Colon - $1
Lance McCullers - $2
Jon Lester - $23
Michael Pineda - $12
Zack Wheeler - $5

Right now I'm set on keeping Lester, Villar, Polanco, Zobrist, McCullers, and Eaton.

I'm not sure if the other guys are worth their prices though. I like Frazier, but I don't know if $20 is worth paying for him. For some reason I'm not very high on Mazara this year, but would he be worth $10? And I'm pretty sure if I want Gallo I can draft him for a cheaper price. I don't even know what to think of Wheeler, $5 is a reasonable price for his upside but I'm not confident that he'll stay healthy. I wasn't planning on keeping Panik but I don't think $6 is a terrible price for him. I might keep Pineda for $12 as well because I think he might have a decent year, and after the draft it's hard to find decent pitching on the wire.

And all I need is someone to tell me that Bartolo can keep it up for one more year for me to pull the trigger on keeping him for a dollar.

Also, my league has one roster slot for a minors player, are there any specific major league ready prospects I should be looking at to fill that spot? Any advice given will be appreciated.

Panik and Pineda might be worth holding on to, but what pitching stats does the league track?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Jingleheimer posted:

I was leaning towards keeping Zobrist over Panik since Zobrist has OF eligibility as well and is more likely to stay healthy. I'm 50/50 on keeping Pineda, I think he's just as likely to put it all together this year as he is to be a total disaster. Pitchers in my league get points for QS, K, IP, and a penalty for H, BB, ER. In my league Pineda will probably be a slightly above average pitcher if he stays healthy, I'll probably end up keeping him and regretting it later, but I've made worse decisions in the past.

I wouldn't hold on to Pineda given those pitching stats.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Myers and Yelich look like the best values here.

This, with Rougned maybe on the bubble.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Your Taint posted:

We're you playing against 11 other people who literally had never seen a baseball game before?

From the 2016 thread:

Inspector_666 posted:

I heard some guy on the subway yesterday talking about how he got in to the playoffs and then picked up Dozier, Turner, and Hill.

I wanted to turn around and tell him that when he wins he shouldn't be proud of beating a bunch of people with the brainpower of pond scum if they were all still available.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
That rotation is amazing.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Have any of you dealt with adding new teams to a keeper league? How did you handle it?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

IcePhoenix posted:

Depends on the keeper rules. Easiest thing I can think of is to do an expansion draft that allows them to pick keepers from players not being kept by other teams (ie: if I have Schwarber in the 13th but am not keeping him, they could "draft" him and keep him in the 13th).

It's a 25% price inflation year-over-year, with a max of 4 years kept unless you designate a "Franchise Tag" for one.

The idea was to either lower the new team's buy-in and give them a higher draft budget (with the understanding that they'll be embarking on a project here), or just cut the number of keepers down for the incumbent teams to increase the draft pool.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

candide posted:

Inherited a team in a friend's league. All I know about baseball is I like dingers. Please send help.

Are these the correct keepers? Do I keep Brian Dozier? I have the 4th pick in the draft if that matters.

What are the keeper rules? It's probably between Dozier or Cutch, depending on if you think Cutch will bounce back or if Dozier's production was for real.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

candide posted:

Not sure about the rules but I found this on the league settings page for keepers?

Would skipping the third keeper be a viable option? I don't think Cutch will bounce back and I hate Dozier because of his slow start last year. Oh yeah, I inherited this team two seasons ago and kept Cutch both times. Also all of my baseball knowledge is superficial.

Skipping the keeper might be viable, but it also depends on who would be available. I assume all of the big-name guys are likely going to be kept given that there's no downside to doing so.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Double posting, but one of the leagues I'm in draws to pick draft position (snake draft), and I got 6 (of 12.) Should I just stick there (I assume the first 5 will pick their slot) or what?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ended up with the 5th pick due to ~something~ with the guy picking ahead of me so, cool.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
OK so one of my leagues only just kicked back in at the last minute here and I'm finalizing my keepers.

On the pitching side I've got Thor ($13), Verlander ($8), Maeda ($2), Urias ($4), Taillon ($10), Carrasco ($10), Lester ($24)

Position players I've got Posey ($34), Sanchez ($10), Stanton ($42), Bogaerts ($15), Hosmer ($25), Odor ($10), Eaton ($8), Yelich ($8), Kinsler ($17).

7 keepers, total draft budget is $260.

Right now I have Thor, Verlander, Carrasco, Maeda, Sanchez, Bogaerts, and Odor selected as keepers.

I love Urias and Taillon, but the inning limit and cost respectively are pushing me away from tagging them this year. I guess my question is am I going too pitcher-heavy with this? Should I drop Maeda or Carrasco and keep Eaton/Yelich? Swapping Maeda for Yelich is very tempting.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 25, 2017

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

I was thinking Yelich so you could go that way. Thor/Verlander/Carrasco is a pretty sick 1-2-3.

Yeah just swapped out Maeda for Yelich. I'm not sure why I wasn't more torn on that until just now.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Schweinhund posted:

I would keep yelich over maeda or verlander

I figure I can probably either get Maeda cheap again, or somebody else will way overpay for him. Verlander is too cheap for me to not hold onto, especially since I know there's a guy in the league who will almost certainly trade for him even if he starts off bad.

EDIT: Also it's probably just the homer in me, but I feel like Greg Bird is being underrated coming into the draft. His power is clearly intact from the shoulder surgery.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 25, 2017

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Abel Wingnut posted:

i wish razzball would edit their work. there're some smart points in there, but it's completely smothered by the awful, unfunny, pointless 'humor'

I don't mind a lot of the blurbs, but I do wish they just did a number/color-coded list for everybody like normal people.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
First of three drafts. I feel pretty good about this team, although I probably went OF-heavy on the bench, I'm used to having more slots for it.

This was also a snake draft, I had 5th overall. H2H, R/HR/RBI/SB/AVG/OBP/SLG and K/QS/W/L/WV/ERA/WHIP.

C Buster Posey
1B Wil Myers
2B Robinson Cano
3B Kris Bryant
SS Jonathan Villar
OF Matt Kemp
OF Adam Eaton
OF Khris Davis
UTL Javier Baez
UTL JT Realmuto

BN Maikel Franco
BN Kevin Kiermaier
BN Melky Cabrera
BN Hunter Pence
BN Aaron Judge
BN CJ Cron
BN Danny Valencia

P Jameson Taillon
P Jake Odorizzi
P Robert Gsellman
SP Stephen Strasburg
SP Marcus Stroman
RP Cam Bedrosian
RP Michael Wacha
BN Shawn Kelley

Wacha still has both RP and SP elig on ESPN.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The Pussy Boss posted:

And I guess I'm all in on Gary Sanchez.

This is me IRL, you'll be fine.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Here's my $20 Goon League team. I was actually dealing with two drafts at once for the first few picks which is fine because they're the easiest ones.

1. (10) Bryce Harper (Was - OF)
2. (15) Joey Votto (Cin - 1B)
3. (34) George Springer (Hou - OF)
4. (39) Daniel Murphy (Was - 1B,2B)
5. (58) Adrián Béltre (Tex - 3B)
6. (63) Stephen Strasburg (Was - SP)
7. (82) Jonathan Lucroy (Tex - C,1B)
8. (87) Alex Bregman (Hou - 3B)
9. (106) José Quintana (CWS - SP)
10. (111) Julio Teherán (Atl - SP)
11. (130) Willson Contreras (ChC - C,OF)
12. (135) Troy Tulowitzki (Tor - SS)
13. (154) Odubel Herrera (Phi - OF)
14. (159) Jeurys Familia (NYM - RP)
15. (178) Eduardo Núñez (SF - 3B,SS)
16. (183) Michael Pineda (NYY - SP)
17. (202) Sean Manaea (Oak - SP)
18. (207) Jharel Cotton (Oak - SP)
19. (226) Danny Valencia (Sea - 1B,3B,OF)
20. (231) Brandon Crawford (SF - SS)
21. (250) Yangervis Solarte (SD - 2B,3B)
22. (255) Aaron Judge (NYY - OF)
23. (274) Brad Hand (SD - RP)

Two catchers? gently caress it, :getin:

EDIT: Also somebody is gonna run away with the SB title in the league by having like, 50 for the year. So slooowwwww.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 28, 2017

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Oh, and another team I drafted tonight, this is for the keeper league I came in 2nd in last season.

7 Noah Syndergaard, NYM SP K $13
15 Xander Bogaerts, Bos SS K $15
23 Justin Verlander, Det SP K $8
31 Christian Yelich, Mia OF K $8
39 Rougned Odor, Tex 2B K $10
47 Carlos Carrasco, Cle SP K $10
54 Gary Sanchez, NYY C K $10
58 Jonathan Lucroy, Tex C $14
69 Andrew McCutchen, Pit OF $27
70 Carlos Santana, Cle 1B $11
77 Matt Carpenter, StL 2B $18
78 Adrian Beltre, Tex 3B $27
96 Khris Davis, Oak OF $10
99 Justin Upton, Det OF $10
101 Ian Kinsler, Det 2B $15
102 Jose Quintana, CWS SP $16
103 Mark Melancon, SF RP $5
110 Adam Eaton, Wsh OF $5
111 Roberto Osuna, Tor RP $2
124 Carlos Rodon, CWS SP $4
126 Dallas Keuchel, Hou SP $7
137 Matt Harvey, NYM SP $4
142 Jameson Taillon, Pit SP $1
150 Adrian Gonzalez, LAD 1B $1
151 Rich Hill, LAD SP $6

I actually had a plan and budget laid out and then forgot that everybody else in the league is a maniac who plays Stars and Scrubs on roids (2x FG value, etc.) to the point where one guy drafted 4 players on top of the 7 keepers and then just auto-drafted at $1 the rest of his roster.

It could have been worse, I think. Lucroy was me getting stuck holding the bag while trying to drive up the price but that's a cheap Lucroy and I assume I can swing a trade for him if necessary.

There was a lot of teeth gnashing when I got A-Gon.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Doghouse posted:

It's easier to read teams when they are typed out by position

Yeah but then how will you know about my :krad: value picks?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
So it looks like Julio Urias will not make the opening day roster which is good I guess because it means he may be pitching in the fantasy playoffs?

Makes me feel better about not targeting him even in the late rounds this year.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Schweinhund posted:

Bedrosian is really good and should start as closer but Street should be closer when he gets healthy which might be pretty soon. I would add him though.

I think Bedrosian is the call, and there seems to be a consensus that he may be able to run away with the job while Street is out.

Of course, you're banking on Scioscia not being old-school about his pitcher assignments/standing up to Street so who knows.

chilihead posted:

Some weird things about this draft. It's a ten person head to head roto.
I drafted Harper at number 8 overall, Stanton in the 5th round and Felix Hernandez in the 18th.

That is only a small drop for Bryce but a huge drop in ADP for the other 2.

Felix is waaaaaay down in ADP this year, although 18th rd is still pretty huge. He went for $1, 8th, and 12th rd in the leagues I'm in.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Keep:
Bumgarner
Tanaka
Yelich
Villar

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Can of Cloud posted:

Sorry if this has already been asked, but who will be the Mets closer if Familia gets a lengthy suspension?

Reports are that Familia's suspension will be shorter than Chapman's because he's "cooperating," and Reed would be the fill-in.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Timby posted:

Draft in a couple hours, I only just now realized I have the first overall pick. 5x5 H2H keeper league; I have Blackmon, Abreu, Dozier, deGrom, Arrieta and Bumgarner already.

Is there a consensus first pick? Is it always Trout? (The owner who had him didn't keep him because ... I have no loving clue why.)

It's always Trout.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The Pussy Boss posted:

So I timed out and autopicked Verlander. I wasn't targeting him at all, but I don't hate the pick based on who else was available. Do ya'll trust JV this year? Is he an ace workhorse like he used to be?

He started off real bad last season, but overall still ended up with one of his best lines ever. His velo was up, too, so I have no compunction about high hopes for 2017.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I'm not too enthused about him in re-draft because I don't fully expect him to live up to his ADP because I hate picking pitchers before like the 7th, but I have him as a late keeper from last year and I'm all in. I'm expecting a mid-to-high fantasy #2 season from him. If he fell to me somewhere in the 6th, I think I'd be comfortable taking him as my first starter

Yeah I definitely put a priority on hitting this year, I guess it does depend a lot on when Pussy Boss got him. (I kept him for $8 after being ready to trade him for whatever I could get early in 2016.)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Some Numbers posted:

Oh goddammit

10-day retro to the 30th, not so bad.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Doltos posted:

Owning Carlos Martinez this year is gonna be awesome. The most important drafting rule in fantasy is always spend your first starter spot on a mid tier spanish pitcher right next to always roster a jewish player for good luck

Jewish players are important as fuuuuuuuuuuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I felt pretty good about my teams when I drafted them and the day after but I just looked at my lineups now and feel like I completely hosed up in every way. YAY FANTASY SEASON :shepicide:

• Locked thread