Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

hello, i am not a trump voter but i may die in trump's war with russia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

why they didn't see this coming is probably due to the same reason they are a failed state

its funny because you could say the same about the US's ruling class

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

thats a lie, there are no good rich people

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Don't give up, skeleton!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Al! posted:

hey maybe this trump guy isnt so bad after all

i ran the numbers, and nope, he's terrible

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

It gets better/worse:

Details here.

Ads plastered all over the site link to PhRMA's anti-regulation page, here.

i think jeff sessions should apply his crime and punishment approach to chris christie

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 01:39 on May 6, 2017

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

guest workers are basically slaves because the government endows their employer to deport them at will

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah no, this guy doesn't get to say he was tricked.

People who voted for Trump because he had a secret plan to replace Obamacare with a beautiful health care system on day 1 were tricked. They're stupid for buying a pig in a poke, or they're racists who were just looking for an excuse to justify their vote and took that one to rationalize it to themselves, but at least they were genuinely lied to. They were lied to badly and, obviously; it was ridiculous to even entertain that lie, but it was an actual lie, they were really lied to and can say they're just dumb enough to be duped.

But deporting immigrants and guest workers, and hating on them for undercutting wages and stealing jobs was Trump's signature campaign promise. This guy wasn't tricked or lied to, Trump promised to do this to him and delivered 100%.

lol

yeah but he could have thought that trump was lying about that like every non-trump republican does

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Business Gorillas posted:

If you use fast food kiosks or self checkouts you're no better than a scab imo

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

where i live you cant use the self checkout things at the grocery store if youre buying alcohol so they might as well not even exist

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

oh man wait till you guys hear about conservative hero ollie north

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Ripoff posted:

G-d I hope that Trump’s administration starts placing ultra-heavy restrictions on video games. I want like Germany’s restrictions on violence and stuff to make GTA and other games unsellable in the US.

(day after trump meets with gaming industry CEOs to solve gun violence)

folks, i just heard about this. have you heard about this? these loot boxes. theyre incredible. theyre creating millions of american jobs. theyre incredible. i was talking to a good friend of mine, he works on computers. he was telling me the biggest growth industry these days is loot boxes. we're gonna promote american loot boxes, and we're gonna start winning again

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Junkiebev posted:

"Why did you do that?" cried the frog. "Now we will surely both drown!"
"lol," the scorpion replied. "lmao"

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

republicans regretting electing the most bribeable president when all of a sudden to control their costs they have to out-bribe all the other businesses who are also bribing him

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

are we just assuming the harley worker voted for trump or did he say he did

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

this is the Moderate Republican Small Business Owner that the dems have spent the last two decades and change trying to convince to vote for them and he never will

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Jose posted:

Eventually the republicans will have killed all the people who voted them in and those states will change

wow jose didnt know you were a subscriber to the dems' Demographics Are Destiny school of thought

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i went through a mr. t and a-team phase as a kid and learned from my mom that one of my old white uncles from the deep south who died when i was little also loved the a team but that he liked the white guy who was the leader of the team and the idea that someone would watch the show for any character who wasnt mr t blew my mind

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Zeroisanumber posted:

I loved Mr. T and Hannibal and sometimes Murdoch but I thought that Face was dumb. Sometimes I was all "I pity the fool!" but other times I would make like I had a cigar in my teeth and would smile a lot.

And sometimes I just yelled weird poo poo out loud because I was a kid and Murdoch got to do that so why not me?

the show having the comic relief character being a war-scarred vietnam vet driven insane by ptsd was really loving 80s

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the line separating texas and ok/ar/la is also quite stark

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Jose posted:

lol i posted this in the doomsday economics thread but its timely for this one

https://twitter.com/bopinion/status/1005040583889620993

if only we had listened to wilford brimley...

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

A+ on triggering the libs

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

obama was the "i will make american jobs not lovely" candidate in 2008 and 2012 when his opponents were "the fundamentals are strong" and literally gordon gekko but then hillary decided to concede that issue to trump

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

its definitely the democrats' fault for holding him back

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Kit Walker posted:

Even if alpha strongman tactics somehow worked, it’s hilarious that they think TRUMP of all people can pull it off. Dude acts like a whiny, petulant pissbaby on a good day and the only reason anyone has ever given a gently caress about him up to this point is that he’s (allegedly) rich. On the stage of international relationships, no world leader gives a gently caress about your personal wealth

Foreign leaders care about your personal wealth if you are bribing them but Trump is too cheap and stupid to do that and absolutely can't compete with the level of bribes being thrown around by Putin, the CCP, or the house of Saud.

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 19:45 on Jun 22, 2018

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

The farmers told themselves Trump would be good for business and all that stuff about upending the trade system that massively benefits US farmers above all while deporting their exploited immigrant labor force were just lies Trump was telling to trick the rubes and make the media look stupid for believing him, while Trump's secret true beliefs perfectly matched whatever they personally want.

Them not believing or wanting any of the racism and projecting their personal beliefs onto him doesn't jive with how they all still love him despite being well aware his trade wars and elimination of their exploitable workforce is ruining them. Unless they think that this is just some 12D chess and any day now he's going stop the deportations and give every republican voter 100 free mexican slaves.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

lolouisiana fishermen

TCHAFALAYA BASIN, Louisiana — The men who rely on the waters here to make a living were confident that President Donald Trump and his administration would help them clean up their swamp.

But with Trump's EPA administrator, Scott Pruitt, facing a litany of ethics investigations and the administration moving to deregulate parts of the oil and gas industry, their hopes are shifting to an even higher plane.

"I put it in God’s hands," said Ben Bienvenu, a third-generation crawfisherman, from his fishing boat last week. "Nobody wants to listen. God will make them listen."
About 300 crawfishermen still work on these waters. Twenty years ago, there were more than 3,000. They bemoan the lack of action by state and federal government agencies to defend the natural swampland that oil and gas companies have disrupted over the last 60 years.
Meche is the de facto spokesman for the crawfishermen. He’s also the president of the Louisiana Crawfish Producers Association.

A month after the president's inauguration, Meche told NBC news that he thought the new president would be "bold enough to make the right changes to where we start taking care of our environment better."

lmao what the christ

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

jerry seinfel posted:

I was at a bougie rear end brunch place near my house before the election and there was a mom and daughter arguing about trump

The daughter was a teacher saying how he was going to ruin the educational system, put her out of work, was a racist, and so on

The mom said he obviously didn't MEAN the bad stuff, he was just saying it to play to the rubes, he's actually going to stick up for workers and so on but he needs to get elected so he can #MAGA

these people heard what he said, but they all think someone else is getting conned and that they know what's really going on

i laugh at these morons but then i remember how much i projected what i wanted onto obama in 2008

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

yeah obama couldn't have passed medicare for all but there are many things he could have done as president that he just didnt want to.

the decision to not prosecute a single bank executive for any of the uncountable instances of outright fraud and instead enshrine a doctrine that says executives are above the law was an executive decision. any of those cases would be an open-and-shut RICO case where the government seizes their assets and throws them in jail.
the decision to bail out the banks by buying all their toxic waste poo poo assets at the bullshit valuation was a decision of the Fed, whose governors are entirely appointed by the president (and fireable by the president). the government under obama could have instead let the banks fail and make the shareholders and bondholders eat poo poo.
related to the above, instead of buying the banks' worthless garbage assets, the government could have bought the banks themselves (for cheap, once they had failed). now the banks are under government control. then, under government management, the banks are directed to actually lend to businesses, infrastructure investments, green energy R&D, and other things that would make the economy actually function instead of the only investments being made from 2008 to present having been in speculative bullshit.

obama taking any sort of this kind of action (that was entirely within his constitutional powers) that actually fucks the rich and makes the economy function for normal people again (which it hasnt since carter) would have led to absolute Democratic control of the government for fifty years.

and im not even mentioning the things he could have got through congress if he was willing to campaign for them. in early 2009, when the stimulus was being negotiated (the stimulus that ended up being half tax cuts, that were useless as stimulus at best and actively harmful to investment and productivity at worst), obama had just been elected in the bigliest blowout in 30 years. any republican at that point would have rolled over for fear of losing their seat.

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 06:35 on Jun 25, 2018

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I mean, that's not limited to the US. I recall someone posting a survey of (a specific type of) voters in the UK, where IIRC a large majority identified the policies of Corbyn's Labour (significantly to the left of someone like Bernie) with the Tories (essentially the GOP). Apparently a lot of people are just monumentally misinformed.

If you do what conventional wisdom tells you is necessary to be informed, eg reading the local newspaper and/or watching the evening news, it's basically impossible to come into any contact with any actual facts and instead you get an unending torrent of bullshit

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

you're right, you were projecting as bad as a trumpanzee if you thought obama campaigned on any of that.

also, this is political fan-fiction. the key bank bailouts were put in place by gw bush, not obama; the idea of just letting banks fail is a rightwing pipe dream, when bush tried it in 2008 it greatly accelerated the economic freefall; there was no legal mechanism for the government to seize a failing bank and screw the shareholders until the financial reform bill passed by dems in 2009; the president can fire the fed board (in the middle of an historic economic crisis), but any replacements need senate confirmation; finally, "any republican...would have rolled over" lol, just lol

were you not around in october 2018-early 2019? the received wisdom among our nation's Thought Leadership was that the republican party was close to dead as a going concern. you had a 30-year republican senator literally switch parties and vote party-line democrat out of a transparent and ultimately vain attempt to stay employed.

the idea of "letting the banks fail" is not restricted to "just let the banks fail and hope the free market, peace be upon Him, sorts it out." in 2009 under the auto bailout (one of the most significant positive actions of the obama presidency), the government purchased a controlling share of a bankrupt GM, managed it to not be a financially-bloated PoS speculative bubble company (a significant part of pre-crash GM's assets were lovely auto loans which is largely why it went bankrupt), and kept a large part of america's manufacturing economt intact. if the government had applied the wall street model to GM the company would have shut down all its factories and sold all its toxic waste not-going-to-be-repaid worthless auto loans to the fed at par. there is no reason why the government couldnt have done the same to the big banks except for political decisions.

the fact that the president needs senate confirmation of fed board of governors appointees is immaterial in 2009. the democrats had a 60-seat majority.

im well aware that the idea of obama taking decisive action to fix the economy and not just bail out the rich is fan fiction, yes.

with regards to what i projected onto obama it was mostly that i believed it when he said he would take action on global warming and withdraw troops from iraq.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

your typical chud is actually going to be a relatively rich middle-aged white person and can afford big lifestyle purchases like a harley or a fancy car or a boat (until they are inevitably bankrupted by medical bills like everyone else in the country)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

etalian posted:

lmao in hindsight trying to take on the whole world wasn't the best plan especially how the EU system means every European country will abide by the punitive tariffs.

Be cool! Trade wars are good, and easy to win.

ikanreed posted:

Don't worry, airstrip one is still with us.

when is brexit going to happen already

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

logikv9 posted:

*while dying of easily treated diseases and poor because my business got hosed by tariffs and also trump* at least we're respected again

Shibby0709 posted:

*Is actually respected by no one*

it owns because theres never any real actual respect they can point to and when pushed on it they say things like "well now we can say merry christmas again"

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

imagine if we didnt have the electoral college and the supreme court and the senate. the government might start gunning down black people in the street for no reason and kidnapping brown children from their parents and banning muslims from entering the country

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

good thing we didnt have majority rule at the founding of the country. otherwise we might have had an entire race of people working as literal loving slaves

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

Hillary lost because she sucked. That's not the fault of the electoral college.

Again, getting rid of these things will make minority representation worse.

hillary sucking and being the shittiest candidate in th history of the dems, while 100% true, does not change the fact that she would have won if we elected presidents by "most votes wins"

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the thing they tell you in 9th grade civics that the checks and balances were designed to prevent oppression by the majority of the minority was true but it was done to protect the ruling majority (the rich) from "the mob" (slaves, indentured servants, women, people who work for a living, etc)

none of this particularly new. its all right in the loving federalist papers how the senate and the electoral college are good because they let men of standing control the government and make sure the mob wont do anything uncouth like free the slaves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

why arent they putting tariffs on things that actually would make republicans pay attention like refined petroleum products and F-16s