Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Syncopated posted:

Like how hard are these farm jobs? I helped on the family farm a bit as a kid and I've worked as a stage builder in concert venues which was poo poo work, but this american farm stuff seems to be uniquely lovely.

imagine working on a plantation in the hot sun for 18 hours while being harassed and abused so that you may work faster

also imagine you have no rights

we been doin this for some time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
also they are totally full of poo poo about those wages

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, no way they pay as much as 25 cents an hour.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

these people want guest workers because they have absolute power over them and can get them deported at any point. hire american workers with actual labor rights they might end up demanding better conditions and pay.

lol american workers don't have labor rights

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Krankenstyle posted:

Mostly true but a farm owner raping a bunch of his female workers would go over a lot worse if they were Americans (or worse yet, white)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

thecluckmeme posted:

evangelicals mixed with Christian conservatives is the scariest loving cult ever

I like how ultra religious people try to justify Trump's behavior.

Those women are lying sluts or we need to pray for Trump so he will behave better in the future.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

imagine working on a plantation in the hot sun for 18 hours while being harassed and abused so that you may work faster

also imagine you have no rights

we been doin this for some time

:suicide101:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
The landscaping guy is also gonna figure out that robots are running his rear end down real quick, so even if he gets his workers, Silicon Valley’s gonna eventually win

lol that Trump’s supporters are the people that are cutting apart the social safety net they’ll need in 5-10 years

Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man

Ripoff posted:

The landscaping guy is also gonna figure out that robots are running his rear end down real quick, so even if he gets his workers, Silicon Valley’s gonna eventually win

lol that Trump’s supporters are the people that are cutting apart the social safety net they’ll need in 5-10 years

I know this is going to sound bad, but the idea that boomers who lose their businesses and who have these giant liability mcmansions they can no longer afford will have to rummage through dumpsters to feed themselves is pretty funny.

Maybe they can feed on our thoughts and prayers?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
lol a shitload of the farmland in the san joaquin valley is literally owned by multimillionaires

the guy who owns all the pistachio farms also owns tahiti water

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Ripoff posted:

As a reasonably talented hack writer I lol about this all the time. Like I know people say "oh the machines will come for you too" but I'm pretty sure we don't have a computer that can interview subjects, draw correlative research and then produce a story on them yet. Maybe in a while we'll have something that can kind of do that but definitely not any time soon.

Meanwhile the guy working manual labor on a high rise thinks that his job is secure because Donald Trump told him he would Make America Great Again.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Krankenstyle posted:

and guest workers manage to have even less than that

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

guest workers are basically slaves because the government endows their employer to deport them at will

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

lol a shitload of the farmland in the san joaquin valley is literally owned by multimillionaires

billionaires

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Shear Modulus posted:

guest workers are basically slaves because the government endows their employer to deport them at will

Forreal, my buddy makes probably 150k+ as a manager in LargeTechCo LLC, but turned down a move to the HQ in SF because loving lol at working in America where even the 1% top 5% (?) are literally slaves

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

“The pay is irrelevant. You either can’t afford them or they won’t accept what you can pay.”

that sounds like the opposite of irrelevant to me buddy

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Poco posted:

I know this is going to sound bad, but the idea that boomers who lose their businesses and who have these giant liability mcmansions they can no longer afford will have to rummage through dumpsters to feed themselves is pretty funny.

Maybe they can feed on our thoughts and prayers?

this is not the thread to feel bad for these loving fuckers losing everything after they've worked so hard to eliminate safety nets

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Relin posted:

25 is an exaggeration but it's true, they cant retain americans to do these jobs

http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-fi-farms-immigration/

The Article posted:

Klein says he’ll spend the next five years replacing his 1,000 acres of grapevines with almond and olive trees, which require a fraction of the human contact to grow.

The Article posted:

Goehring’s long game is hundreds of acres of wine grapes harvested without ever touching human hands. If that doesn’t work, he’d reluctantly replace it all with almonds.
Looking forward to the article in 3 years when they have to get out of the almond business because California is having a "drought" in that it can't allocate 90% of its clean water to just growing almonds.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Skyscraper posted:

Looking forward to the article in 3 years when they have to get out of the almond business because California is having a "drought" in that it can't allocate 90% of its clean water to just growing almonds.

I assume this Goehring fellow is pretty handy with a crop duster

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

“I feel like I’ve been tricked by the devil,” said Devine, owner of Harrodsburg-based Devine Creations Landscaping. “I feel so stupid.”

Yeah no, this guy doesn't get to say he was tricked.

People who voted for Trump because he had a secret plan to replace Obamacare with a beautiful health care system on day 1 were tricked. They're stupid for buying a pig in a poke, or they're racists who were just looking for an excuse to justify their vote and took that one to rationalize it to themselves, but at least they were genuinely lied to. They were lied to badly and, obviously; it was ridiculous to even entertain that lie, but it was an actual lie, they were really lied to and can say they're just dumb enough to be duped.

But deporting immigrants and guest workers, and hating on them for undercutting wages and stealing jobs was Trump's signature campaign promise. This guy wasn't tricked or lied to, Trump promised to do this to him and delivered 100%.

lol

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah no, this guy doesn't get to say he was tricked.

People who voted for Trump because he had a secret plan to replace Obamacare with a beautiful health care system on day 1 were tricked. They're stupid for buying a pig in a poke, or they're racists who were just looking for an excuse to justify their vote and took that one to rationalize it to themselves, but at least they were genuinely lied to. They were lied to badly and, obviously; it was ridiculous to even entertain that lie, but it was an actual lie, they were really lied to and can say they're just dumb enough to be duped.

But deporting immigrants and guest workers, and hating on them for undercutting wages and stealing jobs was Trump's signature campaign promise. This guy wasn't tricked or lied to, Trump promised to do this to him and delivered 100%.

lol

yeah but he could have thought that trump was lying about that like every non-trump republican does

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

yeah but he could have thought that trump was lying about that like every non-trump republican does

That is exactly what he thought obviously, but he wasn't tricked by Trump.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

zegermans posted:

I assume this Goehring fellow is pretty handy with a crop duster

:v:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Shear Modulus posted:

the best is the dude crying about California making him pay overtime to guest workers lol.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
lol at that dude who plans on automating his field :allears:
I work at a BigVehicleRental and their steps toward automating and firing us all one day are pretty incompetent so far. They’ve appified vehicle rentals and half of the time the customers are too stupid to use the poorly designed app, follow any directions whatsoever, or they get caught up in the “automated”* ID/Driver’s License/etc check. And then we take the flack for customer complaints :shepicide:
If the premier vehicle renting operation in the country can’t even manage digital automation correctly I really would like to see what hurdles Mr “Mechanically Automated Farming in 10 Years” hits.
*Of course someone somewhere is being paid pennies on the dollar to facilitate this, and sometimes the backlog has customers waiting up to a half hour.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Dr. Killjoy posted:

lol at that dude who plans on automating his field :allears:
I work at a BigVehicleRental and their steps toward automating and firing us all one day are pretty incompetent so far. They’ve appified vehicle rentals and half of the time the customers are too stupid to use the poorly designed app, follow any directions whatsoever, or they get caught up in the “automated”* ID/Driver’s License/etc check. And then we take the flack for customer complaints :shepicide:
If the premier vehicle renting operation in the country can’t even manage digital automation correctly I really would like to see what hurdles Mr “Mechanically Automated Farming in 10 Years” hits.
*Of course someone somewhere is being paid pennies on the dollar to facilitate this, and sometimes the backlog has customers waiting up to a half hour.

This is also what always gets me about the mass automation of food service

like buddy, I was industry from 2003 to 2012 and literally the entire time I was being told that full automation is only 6 months away. The technology has been around and essentially unchanged for 15 years, but the problem is and always will be customers not wanting anything to do with it or not having a clue what to do with it when they do

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Speaking of guest workers, Trump was saying like last week that now he will let them in.

quote:

"For the farmers, OK, it's going to get good. We're going to let your guest workers come in," Trump said. "The unemployment picture is so good, it's so strong, that we have to let people come in. They're going to be guest workers. They're going to come in, they're going to work on your farms ... but then they have to go out."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/trump-says-u-s-let-your-guest-workers-come-appeal-n869841

But who really knows when Trump is lying and when he is just saying whatever dumb poo poo pops into his mind that he thinks will get him applause? (they didn't applaud this)

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
and another one

Ask residents of this coal-mining crossroads about President Trump’s decision to crack down on undocumented immigrants and most offer no protest. Mr. Trump, who easily won this mostly white southern Illinois county, is doing what he promised, they say. As Terry Chambers, a barber on Main Street, put it, the president simply wants “to get rid of the bad eggs.”

But then they took Carlos.
Tom Jordan, the mayor of West Frankfort, wrote that Mr. Hernandez was a “great asset” to the city who “doesn’t ask for anything in return.” The fire chief described him as “a man of great character.”

This is an uncomfortable stance for a place like West Frankfort. This county, Franklin, backed Mr. Trump with 70 percent of the vote, largely on hopes, people here say, that he could jump-start the coal industry, which has receded painfully here over decades.
"I knew he was Mexican, but he’s been here so long, he’s just one of us,” said Debra Johnson, a resident. She said she saw a distinction between “people who come over and use the system and people who actually come and help.”

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Syncopated posted:

Like how hard are these farm jobs? I helped on the family farm a bit as a kid and I've worked as a stage builder in concert venues which was poo poo work, but this american farm stuff seems to be uniquely lovely.

Its the ability harass workers. I threw hay as a kid for under the table money, and it's heavy work, but it ain't bad.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

"I knew he was Mexican, but he’s been here so long, he’s just one of us,” said Debra Johnson, a resident. She said she saw a distinction between “people who come over and use the system and people who actually come and help.”

i hope the tomato she's eating becomes sentient and calls her mean names

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

and another one

Ask residents of this coal-mining crossroads about President Trump’s decision to crack down on undocumented immigrants and most offer no protest. Mr. Trump, who easily won this mostly white southern Illinois county, is doing what he promised, they say. As Terry Chambers, a barber on Main Street, put it, the president simply wants “to get rid of the bad eggs.”

But then they took Carlos.
Tom Jordan, the mayor of West Frankfort, wrote that Mr. Hernandez was a “great asset” to the city who “doesn’t ask for anything in return.” The fire chief described him as “a man of great character.”

This is an uncomfortable stance for a place like West Frankfort. This county, Franklin, backed Mr. Trump with 70 percent of the vote, largely on hopes, people here say, that he could jump-start the coal industry, which has receded painfully here over decades.

I live two counties over, our local mexican restaurant manager was also abducted, everyone thought it was tragic but will still vote Trump 2020

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Triangle Shirt Factotum posted:

Its the ability harass workers. I threw hay as a kid for under the table money, and it's heavy work, but it ain't bad.

Yeah, I worked at a pear packing shed for a summer a few years back and it's absolutely about being able to shove people around and scream at them and to have workers who have no means of reprisal.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
whats the point of being white if one cannot yell at not whites about your whiteness??????

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Everything posted:

I'm glad of it.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

wonder how ecstatic he is about going to war with Iran

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Weeping Wound posted:

wonder how ecstatic he is about going to war with Iran

funny you should ask he also sits on the board of AIPAC and was mad at israelis who prefer smuggled iranian pistachios by way of turkey over his pistachios

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Epic High Five posted:

like buddy, I was industry from 2003 to 2012 and literally the entire time I was being told that full automation is only 6 months away. The technology has been around and essentially unchanged for 15 years, but the problem is and always will be customers not wanting anything to do with it or not having a clue what to do with it when they do

poo poo, just look at theaters. Place I go to has six automated kiosks that let you buy your ticket and pay with a credit card in about a minute, but people will completely ignore them and wait in line for the box office 90% of the time.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Epic High Five posted:

If you use fast food kiosks or self checkouts you're no better than a scab imo

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Crabs approve of Trump's visa restriction program

https://www.wsj.com/articles/marylands-crab-country-not-enough-visas-not-enough-workers-1526031001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

business owners are dumb you say