Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

If you collect all the possible card drops for a game you can turn it into a badge and get points for your Steam level, which yes is mostly only good for increased chance of those random card packs but you'd better believe people will treat it like a high score anyway.

e: You can also increase the level of the badge more than once, possibly infinitely, so if a game has cheap cards, that means cheap badges, even if the reason the cards are cheap is because the game is unplayable.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Feb 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Jamfrost posted:

I don't know. Maybe watch the trailer and share your thoughts?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/592750

My thoughts? Uh, sure, I even ordered them:

:what: :psyboom: :allears:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I liked that the developer had the self-awareness to call themselves R I MAD but not enough to think that maybe if they're touting demon text messages as a feature they might in fact be very mad indeed.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I can believe the developers of a game-shaped object get lots of enjoyment out of any money they generate and that that's reason enough for them to be made in spades. I can't believe anybody enjoys them for their own sakes though.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Fez was great, but by most accounts was great despite Fish's involvement, rather than because of it. It's also way shallower from a game design perspective than Braid or Meat Boy-most of its strong contributions are aesthetic. Even relatively small in duration, the shift mechanic struggles to bear its length.

I'm willing to give him credit despite his self-importance because he keeps pulling it off, somehow.

The real undersold supertalent, though, is Stephen Lavalle. I feel like ECT belongs here because people who like puzzle games would like it, and people who hate them will think it's the worst game ever made.

I've never heard of ECT and Google is not helping, what's that stand for? Also did you mean Steve Lavalle? Stephen Lavalle doesn't seem like the programming type.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Any fun Blowtentiousness anecdotes you can share, Cingulate?

Stephen Lavelle, sorry. The games he's made that have seen commercial release are English Country Tune and Stephen's Sausage Roll. He also has a fuckton of free little experimental games on his website, http://www.increpare.com/.

Stephen's Sausage Roll really, really seems like it belongs here, but it doesn't.

Those do look like good games, thanks for pointing me towards them even if this is the bad games thread!

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

il_cornuto posted:

I'm not saying they do fit in here but I clicked on the first game and the top comment is

which certainly sounds like a comment you'd get on one of the terrible awful games on steam.

I didn't really look at the website games, just English Country Tune and Stephen's Sausage Roll. Guess I know now why those are all that showed up under increpare games on Steam! :v:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

hyphz posted:

Hey, AZOPSpc is much more comfortable than WASD if nothing is using the mouse.

You do use three fingers for WASD, right? :raise: It's about as normal as having your hand on the home row keys.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

credburn posted:

Maybe it's because I'm on the spectrum, but I cannot get past the last panel of this comic. Like, it's kind of predictable, the joke, but it's funny as it is...yet... what's with the last panel? It suggests that the other guys playing D&D with him beat the poo poo out of him? Like, enough to give him an eye so swollen that it's black and shut. That's not funny...that's just weird. A sudden, random act of violence. I don't get it.

It's like, a punchline by itself isn't funny unless also someone gets beat up.

I think this is a you thing actually, I'm on the spectrum and I can tell that the violence isn't random or undeserved.

e: Three stooges are classic, more funny than the comic but the comic is still good for a hoot.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 7, 2017

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

hexwren posted:

I understood none of that one-sentence summary, apart from things like "November 2016" and "long and prosperous future."

Space Station 13 is an old game people loved for the variety of chicanery you could get up to in it (like building bombs, making drugs, and accidentally spilling lava everywhere), and it was originally coded in a really dumb engine that forced playing in some weird app called Byond that required a very unintuitive button system to work among other things. This is somebody's effort to port the game to a slightly less dumb engine that at the very least lets people play the game standalone, although if 2017-18 hadn't happened yet I'd also hope that maybe it wouldn't take something like five buttons to give someone an item any more either. But of course it did so this is probably a direct port complete with original dumb confusing garbage interface.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Killed By Death posted:

Can you still eat parts of the interface (both yours and other players') in this conversion? Because it's a failure if not.

Holy god I never played the original long enough to see or hear of that one. A shame I missed out on that, but I fear suffering from terminal disappointment if I buy the new conversion just for that and can't do it. How the hell did that even work/Is there a video of it anywhere?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I wouldn't play that unless you paid me 2 dollars

and then only to see if there was an actual game or if the title was literal

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Gromit posted:

I always thought they are both pronounced how they look, which is to say "the same way". Or is this some sort of "it's pronounced 'sword' " meta-joke?

My guess is that he thought it was "hoo-nee" and not "hon-ee". Based solely on the fact I made the same mistake. :shrug:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

is there anything anime can't ruin?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Actually, unlike Steam, Google lets you remove stuff from your Youtube history and even set it so your history stops updating. It won't make a difference to your ISP or the NSA, but it doesn't have to pollute your recommended videos. Hell, for even less time you can just erase and turn off your history and completely ignore recommendations forever.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

is the cyborg child prostitute an in-joke too

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Jamfrost posted:

But also, here's a game that hurts my eyes. It might be good, but whatever it's doing with the visuals makes my eyes water.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1392170/Schastye/

I kinda hate that 'retro' is taken as a criticism-immune excuse for people to have lovely art rather than a conscious decision with limitations to work with, but I grudgingly appreciate that the difference between good pixel art, pixel art that at least tried even if it fails, and pixel fart is very stark. Jaggy pixels only work if your art design is simpler to match, and that art design is not close to simple enough. Also love how the white action text is completely unreadable where it overlaps with the computer screen, great UI choice there.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

that comment feels like it was made by someone who traveled here from an alternate universe. dildos being everywhere only makes sense as a political statement? jon st. john should insert duke nukem references into this game after dnf??? let's make some of the content alpha-only to....?????????

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

leper khan posted:

It's definitely punk, and it's definitely cyber. Not sure if that's enough to qualify as cyberpunk.

could it be cyberspunk?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

it seems so stupid and absurd to ape an AAA game with such a shambling graphical production, even though this is absolutely gonna get some people without functioning eyes/brains buying it. the emperor's new clothing line that's just a bunch of empty racks is fantastic I guess

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

the phrase "getting offended instead of reacting rationally" is pretty good as red flags go

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

:dafuq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Thanks! :toot: