Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Oh man, this game. I wasn't really interested in it when it was first announced, but then after watching a bunch of YouTube videos of cutscenes and battles after it came out as well as a Giant Bomb Quick Look, it really hit my Persona sweet spot while I was waiting for more P5 news. Shame about it not selling well (and the whole "censorship" controversy that it dragged up likely not helping matters) but glad to see quite a bunch of people here liked it. Would've loved to pick up this myself, but no Wii U.

Loved all of the character designs we've seen so far, looking forward to the next couple of party members as well. Tiki is great too, her sidestories are amazing, can't wait til you get to those. Such a good character coming next update too, can't wait for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Needs more

OHHH MY GAAAD
SHEEEEEAAAT

Believe me, those are coming. Barry is one of the best characters of this game for a reason. Love that fact that the BGM switches to that of his favorite animu theme whenever he shows up.

The YouTube videos of the game I saw didn't include the Topic chats, which are amazing to read. The stickers are great as well. Wonder if I'm one of the only people who actually use proper spelling and punctuation in texts for whatever reason, just never really got into text speak after I stopped using AIM a decade back.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Rogue 7 posted:

OK, so the anime Barry* is supposed to be a diehard fan of, at least on his t-shirt, clearly has the same stylings as Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha. Draw your own conclusions from this.

It's called Dia Witch Iroha, which you can somewhat see on his shirt. And yes, it really did remind me stylistically of Nanoha.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Dragonatrix posted:

Didn't say "appr-hee-ciation," 0/5 worst game ever. :colbert:

Artix didn't show off more of her dialogue, there's def some "hee-ho!"'ing to come from her.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

The Daitama Observatory is supposed to be that television building in Odaiba, right? I think I remember it from Digimon.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Artix posted:

One little mini-update, someone wanted to see everyone's signatures since they're on the profile page.

One small touch that I liked about this game that I don't think anyone has mentioned yet is that your party members sign their autographs in the air in front of them every time they cast a spell in battle.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Huh, maybe I missed it, but you haven't done a video demonstrating a Radiant Unity yet, right? The posing in those sequences are amazing, so maybe putting up a video for those who haven't seen them yet would be nice to show off.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Blademaster_Aio posted:

I laughed at that name though.

I remember seeing someone in the Games thread for this game (orenronen maybe?) complaining about the way that the Tiki=Waifu handle was translated into English, but I think it seems to fit her character. I remember her Japanese name has a "P" at the end of it (you can hear it when characters in the video are speaking her name), to fit the convention that most of the prominent composers who make Vocaloid songs append it to the end of their handles, standing for "Producer".

Tiki=Waifu is perhaps my favorite non-party side character (support characters not included), especially in how deadpan her personality of a serious otaku Vocaloid fan is. It'll come out a lot more in later side missions, but you do see bits of it here in this side quest. She's really a great character.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

I think I remember seeing somewhere that the first time you use a skill that can be turned into an ad-lib after you acquire it by completing the relevant side quest, it triggers, just to show it off or something. I forget if this is actually a thing or something I totally made up, can someone confirm for me?

Snorb posted:

I just noticed; is the max part limit only three characters?

I believe so. However, I think Artix mentioned in a previous update that all party members will eventually get a skill through Stage Ranks that let them participate in sessions even if they aren't in your active party, so they'll still be able to do damage.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Glazius posted:

Do Ad-Lib skills ever fire off when some enemy is going to, like, reflect or be fully healed by them or some similar SMT bullshit?

Artix stated last update when they were first introduced right after Touma's triggered that they do bypass enemy damage typing Strengths/Nulls/Reflects/Drains of the type of attack in question, hit all enemies, and always trigger a session in the paragraphs where he discusses them after showing it off there. I'll just quote him and the info from the paragraph in question in the update:

Artix posted:

Ad lib attacks inherit whatever the base effect of the skill was (assuming it has one), slap a modest power boost and status effect on it, hit every enemy, ignore nulls/drains, and always trigger sessions.

So yeah, no SMT dickery there at least.
E:f;b

Emperordaein posted:

Or if she was a Velvet Room attendant. Just needs a bit more blue on her outfit. And white hair.
Someone else already made that reference a couple posts before yours, albeit in a more cryptic allusion:

Edvarius posted:

It's sad just how horrible most of her options are, really. Though there is something about this one. It seems like it'd look more natural if she worked with an old, long-nosed fellow.

And I totally agree, this outfit of Kiria's would fit either a JoJo character or one of Igor's minions.

Also, is is probably because I've been watching a ton of late Yakuza game videos recently on YouTube and have it on the brain, but the Yontory Dogs coffee logo in the first image of the update just stood out to me. I know they can't exactly lift the Suntory Boss coffee logo and branding straight without a massive licensing fee paid to the company, but seeing them try with well done allusions is always fun to see. :allears:

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 9, 2017

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Snorb posted:

I just noticed that the character pictures in the background glitch out when a party member is knocked unconscious. Nice touch.

Yeah, it's a really nice detail. The portraits are also super happy and smiling if they can session off one of your attacks and sad, complete with stylized blue sweat bars, if they can session but will wind up hitting an elemental or weapon block, drain, or repel with it.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 10, 2017

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Jumping on the "Touma looks great in that leopard print" :bandwagon:.

Also, never saw the non-side story requests done, so that "Helping get senpai to notice me" one is pretty great. Never saw the Topic updates either, so Tsubasa's recent one after her last side story is amazing as well.

Glad to see that this Operation Babe Hunt went better than they usually do in Persona games...

I forget if this is the intermission that has one of my favorite side stories, so I guess I'll just wait for the next couple of updates to see if it is.

It's just a shame this game didn't catch on more since it's so good, but I guess the combination of Wii U, super specific Japanese entertainment focused JRPG combing two rather Japanese franchises, and the whole "censorship " controversy probably didn't help sales at all.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Artix posted:

Ohhh nooo! Gah, I'm so dumb! Guess I forgot to bring it today too!
This is one of my favorite Engrish lines from Barry in this game. He just goes "OH, MISTAKE!" for the first part, and the way he delivers it is absolutely hilarious, on top of the gigantic ham Barry is in the first place.

quote:

Mamori's nervous shaking and bouncing with her hands out like that when she rushes into the office and delivers this line is one of my favorite animations from what I saw of this game. Dunno why, it just sticks out to me as something completely in character for her, and absolutely cute alongside to boot.

quote:

Anyway, if our friend's in danger, we save them, even if it means punching out the president - THAT's Hollywood! And who knows? Maybe Virion and I will get to show you some flashy sharpshooting archery, too.
For those who missed it and didn't already know, confirmation of Ellie's Mirage. So for all those who guessed correctly, give yourself a hand for understanding some basic Japanese terms for weaponry and figuring out the right Fire Emblem character from one of a couple of games, I guess.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jul 4, 2017

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

AweStriker posted:

From the icon, I thought he was wearing a hat. There's a certain other character I could name that's too pervy for his own good, wears a blue hat, and is named Iori...

I'm unfamiliar with Strange Journey, not having played any SMT games besides Persona, so I also thought it was a Junpei reference.

Also, there's a shot of Ellie's session break in the image where you're first fighting the Leviathan, in case anyone missed it and wanted to see what it looked like.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

Huh, I never noticed Matador grants Auto-Sukukaja. That's kinda cheeky, Atlus. :v:

Agreed, it's a nice touch.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Materant posted:

Blue is "ao" (青) and green is "midori" (緑), so no, not really.

Classically, blue and green were both 青, as a holdover from ancient Chinese, where the character is pronounced "qing", which the Japanese borrowed. But yeah, now there's a much more clear distinction.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Glazius posted:

And other side stories will unlock more ad-libs? Do you even get a normal attack off by the end of the game?

I think all characters only have like at most 2 ad-libs, one for their weapon skill and one for their main element. Other side stories unlock SP skills for party members and other attacks we haven't seen yet, and I think there's only like 3 side stories per character, I forget.

Also, as I said before in the thread, ad-libs fire off the first time you use a linked skill after you get them. Ellie's proc'ing twice this fight is just luck on the second one, the first was preordained.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Artix posted:

Nope, they were both luck. As I mentioned, I did a little bit of grinding to get Arrow Rain, and the free one goes off the first time you use any bow skill. So the game really did just decide to poo poo all over that poor peg knight.

Right, forgot about that since it was the first time you showed that skill off. I guess the RNG just really didn't like that miniboss to have Ellie proc twice with that Ad-lib in the fight like that. Not complaining though.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

vdate posted:

I've been meaning to ask this for a while, but what controls whether a character appears in battle henshin'd or in their civvies (uh, or whatever stupid outfit you've stuck them in)?

CaptianKatsura posted:

Characters appear in battle in whatever outfit you have set for them, but ad-lib skills (and I think special skills as well) change them into the outfit related to the sidequest that unlocked the skill (and then they change back to what you had set after the animation is finished).

Yeah, when your party members take Carnage Form going into a battle (and during the cutscenes of them doing so at the start of a battle that sometimes play), they put on whatever outfit you selected for them in the Equip menu, like in Persona 5. I'm pretty sure Artix has shown off the costume shop in a previous update; that's where you go to buy costumes like civvies, idol practice outfits or other clothes your characters are seen to wear in side stories and such, unlike in P5 where pretty much all outfits were DLC. The fight loading screen will always show them in their bog standard Carnage Forms though, as you can see.

And yeah, using an Ad-lib, some SP skills and another class of skill we haven't seen yet changes the character's outfit temporarily to something connected to the side quest where the skill was unlocked (or the cutscene after the sidequest is completed) for the duration of the skill's animation.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

RandallODim posted:

The cutscenes specifically play when either a new party member is used for the first time, with them doing their street clothes to carnage form transformation, or if you've changed someone's costume since their last time out, though it only plays for one person even if multiple folks have a new outfit on.

Also it's still hosed up Artix doesn't have Touma in his leopard print leather jacket aka the best outfit in the game.

Makes sense. I thought it was (mini)bosses that triggered the sequence, but they don't show up often enough for the ones we've seen so far, I guess.

And yes, I agree that Touma should be in that leopard print leather jacket Carnage Form posthaste.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah, Tsubasa would've never been able to sing that animu song without a ton of prep, as nervous as she was. Kiria's, as the cold girl who actually really likes cute things, is of course the choice to do so. And she knocked it out of the park too, the video in question was one of my favorite scenes from the game that I saw. Having watched too many animu with that kind of song as the OP, plus getting into Love Live, the Dia Witch Iroha song hit all the right notes with me.

Also, that line to Touma telling him to sing it is great too.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 13, 2017

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Tiki=Waifu continues to be the best character who isn't a support or party member. Tiki's side missions continue to be one of the best parts of this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

RandallODim posted:

Tiki=Waifu really is great for just being a decent and helpful person. Even with Itsuki being a real awkward weirdo.

She's just so deadpan about it too. She really is the best non-party or support character, and her best scenes are yet to come.

• Locked thread