Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Artix posted:

I don't have any shots of them being despaired because it'll hit a combo breaker but:

This is a really nice touch. In the first image Kiria can't join the session, and her portrait is neutral on a mostly colorless background.
In the second image both Tsubasa and Touma are pumped up on a green background. Notice how the face is less zoomed in both to show a bit more of the pose and to make the green pop out more.
If somebody is going to hit a null, drain or repel, their portrait is heavily tinted red and as a second warning there's a voice clip (this is the only warning you get if said party member is in the bench). Notice how the target is in the middle of the screen while the portraits flank it; while not in your center of vision the color is something that catches the eye, so it's rare to ignore a bad session proposal.

I don't think you explicitly said it and I'm fairly sure the game is ambiguous on this, but ad-libs and specials are not the only attacks to ignore* resistances on both the attack and the followup session, specialized attacks hitting the correct target (e.g. horseslayer against mounted targets) do so too. So for example if a cavalry enemy nulls both swords and electric, Itsuki will still be able to join without breaking the combo if for example Touma wacks it with an horseslayer, whereas an axe user going for the weapon triangle advantage will leave our protagonist with nothing to do at best.
A side note to sessions: all characters get exactly 2 elements with their session attacks, so if Itsuki joins a session his attack will always be either sword or electric while Touma will always followup with spear or fire.
*weakness still counts though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

RandallODim posted:

This isn't entirely true; on the list of session follow-ups, there will be a little face in the risk column to designate that it's a bad element-resistance combination. I can't remember specifically what, but I think there's a :| face for Null and a D: face for Repel. Haven't played the game recently though, so I can't say for sure my memory is reliable.

Yeah, my bad, I actually meant "non-textual warning". The session list also points to null/repel/drains with an yellow :| emoticon for nulls and a red :-( for repel and drains.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Edvarius posted:

Well now that Itsuki is a male model I feel fully justified in making Zoolander comparisons the next time he's oblivious.

I feel like in this particular instance it would be insulting to Zoolander.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

ChaosArgate posted:

Huh, I never noticed Matador grants Auto-Sukukaja. That's kinda cheeky, Atlus. :v:

Nocturne reference? Never played that one, but the Nocturne Matador boss fight is kinda legendary.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Glazius posted:

Do those X-slayer type attacks also start a session, or is that damage type only?

X-Slayer attacks both trigger sessions and elemental immunities/repels/absorbs are ignored from the start in said session.

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, Matador in Nocturne had an ability called Red Capote, which applied four stacks of Sukukaja to him, rendering him almost impossible to hit. And if you Dekaja/Sukunda'd him, he'd just re-cast Red Capote.

Wouldn't a party member chaining dekaja/sukunda force Matador to waste turns rebuffing himself in that case? 1 to 1 turn trades tend to be in the player's favour in this kind of games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

ChaosArgate posted:

I’m gonna be contrary and say turn Chrom into Walhart because holy poo poo he’s a goddamn monster with that strength. He doesn’t even need the Great Lord’s magic skills with all that strength, not that he’d put it to much use as a Conquerer.

This is exactly why you go Great Lord first. Grab Aether, then swap to the superior class. X Master Seals are story progression rewards (where X is how many people you get by the endgame) and grabbing at least an extra seal should not be a problem.

• Locked thread