Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
I really enjoyed most aspects of this game. There are a couple of costume choices I didn't particularly care for, the plot is kinda meh, and I have issues with the main character, but I really enjoyed the gameplay, a lot of this game's style, and while I didn't care for Itsuki there was a character I absolutely loved and I am eagerly awaiting their time in the limelight so I can fanboy over them without having to resort to little black boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
I don't particularly care for Tsubasa's battle costume. I mean, there are a lot worse in this game, but it still never really appealed to me. The combination of elaborately flaring sides with an almost completely exposed front just looks silly.

On the other hand, while I don't like Itsuki as a character, I gotta admit the dude pulls off the cape and ascot look well.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013

RandallODim posted:

Touma is the best character in this game, because he went whole hog on being a superhero, right down to the secret identity, before the game even began. Also,

He understands that at the end of the day, it's all about looking cool.
Second best :colbert: The best character has yet to be introduced. Though I will agree with you on why Touma is awesome.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
Ugh, and here it is. The worst default outfit in this game. Seriously, how did this thing get accepted?

The first thing wrong with it is her hair. I just can't take a person seriously as a sorceress when they have one of the most childish hairdo's possible. This impression isn't helped by those weird boxy ribbons in her hair. Then there's that eyepatch. Why an eyepatch? It's completely unnecessary. An impediment even. And it's not even a stylish eyepatch, it's some bulky poorly tied mess that looks like something made in an emergency with some spare cloth that happened to be on hand. The fur collar is also stupid as it doesn't even have anything to be the collar for. Is it even supposed to be one? Is it supposed to be shoulder straps? Either way, it's ugly and as I switched her out of that outfit ASAP I never got the opportunity to see how it looked from other angles. And then of course there's her breastplate that still leaves her midsection completely exposed and vulnerable. Gotta love that cliche, right?!

Honestly I'm not thrilled about her staff being a microphone stand either, but at least that's justifiable due to the whole pop idol thing. At least that part makes sense.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013

KingEffingFrost posted:

Apparently the eyepatch is considered a key part of the original design. Her entry in the special edition's artbook says it's there to cast her as "kind of a divine oracle"
That's why that stupid thing is there? I think they missed the mark by more than a little, as that one never even occurred to me. I mean, if they'd gone and covered both eyes maybe that'd work for conveying the blind oracle trope, but whoever heard of an oracle that was only blind in one eye?

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013

Oberndorf posted:

I think my favorite part of the whole affair is Itsuki's reaction to the various beverages. There's a rotating selection here, and at a couple other. Vending machines around town, and he has a food review on every single one. No matter how bizarre the drink, Itsuki has something complimentary to say about it.

It's the tiniest thing, but it adds a fair amount of personality to Our Hero, Blandman, and is emblematic of the effort put into the game.
Unfortunately Itsuki's food blurbs are about all we get for him, which is the problem I have with him. In most situations I'm perfectly fine with having a straight man for the crazies to bounce off of. It's an important role, and can be amusing in it's own right if done correctly. Unfortunately, as Maiko mentioned one's ability as a Mirage Master is supposed to be connected to their abilities as a performer, and the reason for this is one I actually really like. But Itsuki isn't a performer. He isn't some passionate dreamer like Tsubasa or Touma, or a star on the rise like Kiria. He has no interest in it. In just about any other game he'd have worked out fine, but not this one, with this premise. If ANY game called for a Shatner-like ham of a lead, it was this one. The generic nice every-man just does not work as the hero when power is drawn from being a super star. Kiria's costume might clash with itself, but that's better than having a character that clashes with the very premise of the game itself.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
Barry really is the best character in this game, though sadly why that is has yet to be seen.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
The only materials I ever had a problem getting my hands one were the special metal slime-equivalent drops.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013

Glazius posted:

So... have demons been bursting out of portals all over Tokyo for the past five years, but the government's been covering it up?
I don't think the government is covering up anything. Keep in mind that the vast majority of the people there aren't seeing the Mirage attack.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
See, crap like this is why I don't like having my picture taken.

Anyway, it may be just a case of being a common monster-of-the-week plot or something, but I could swear that Sailor Moon did almost this exact same thing. Only there the possessed photographer was a lot less picky about his subjects as he'd take any girl in a swimsuit.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
I can confirm that Lightoma highlights the areas you have to watch out for. Makes things much easier as you can tell precisely where the cameras are aiming. Doesn't help with the dead ends and jumping to an area where teleportation is the only way out, but eh, at least it's something.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Hey Artix good job on getting Kiria's BEST COSTUME :v:
It's sad just how horrible most of her options are, really. Though there is something about this one. It seems like it'd look more natural if she worked with an old, long-nosed fellow.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013

Glazius posted:

Do Ad-Lib skills ever fire off when some enemy is going to, like, reflect or be fully healed by them or some similar SMT bullshit?
They can activate when enemies have that property, but Ad-Lib skills ignore Absorb, Immune, and Repel. So no actual SMT shenanigans result as this game actually has mercy.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013

GeneX posted:

I think having the highschooler not be in lingerie as she poses provocatively for the risque photographer is very much an okay thing
This. Very much this. I know "art should not be censored" and all that, but I really do find this much more palatable, and it's not like the changes suddenly make the story or scene not make any sense like some other examples I've seen. It's just a different kind of modeling.

Though it does paint the party's reaction to My Complex in an entirely different light.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013

Artix posted:

The actual items are just lying around the path through Illusory Daitama. With Estoma up, there is literally nothing to this other than holding forward and grabbing the shinies. And holy poo poo, is that *rusted nails* in that dirt? The stuff we're using as part of some medicine? :stare:
I'm more worried about the cordyceps. I admit I don't know much about medicine, but I don't think that swallowing magic brain fungus from another dimension is a good idea.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
Well, debate about Touma's fashion aside, I do love the revelation of just why he got into sentai in the first place.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
Well now that Itsuki is a male model I feel fully justified in making Zoolander comparisons the next time he's oblivious.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
The bit we get about Barry's backstory put an odd thought in my mind when I first saw it: Barry used to be a Mirage Master. He had his day job, but he was also secretly a hero who'd transform and put on a flashy costume to fight monsters from another world. But then he lost all of that. And now? Now he obsesses over magical girl anime, stuff typically about people who transform and put on flashy costumes to battle monsters from other worlds. In an extremely odd way, he's sort of a crippled vet who tries to cope by immersing himself in war movies.

And oh yeah, Yashiro's costume is completely ridiculous. I swear it almost has many belts as Lulu's dress.

Edvarius fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 4, 2017

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013

Kay Kessler posted:

I hope Barry wore that armor when he was a Mirage master.

He was the most metal of bunnies :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013

Kay Kessler posted:

Oh, that's bunny armor? For some reason I assumed it was a dog.

Oh no, definitely bunny armor. It's even got a decorative cotton-puff tail on the back.

• Locked thread