Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Wouldn't be an issue if the league loosened it's position on weed...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
That's probably a symptom of the pain med overdose

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Could the Falcons be toying with Belicheat?!

"It appeared to be the oldest trick in the book, to leave a fake game plan behind," Falcons coach Dan Quinn said with sarcasm about Kyle Shanahan's bag and game plan being accidentally taken last night.

Vaughn McClure, ESPN Staff Writer
e:

And if there were a book of tricks, would they steal that too? :raise:

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Kalli posted:

Julio Jones is also great, but apparently hates media coverage, so there's that.

The Falcons side is a problem pretty much because Julio isn't a media person, Matt Ryan is extraordinarily bland, Alex Mack is a center nobody can pick out of a lineup, and every other player on that offense is a good, but not standout player who isn't going to be focused on. The biggest story about the Falcons is pretty much how is their offense going to adapt with the loss of Shanahan.

The Patriots on the other hand have already had all the random stories come out over the years, so is dominated by a loving trophy handoff story.

How many centers could you pick out of a lineup?

Julio isn't a diva like the Odell's and Antonio Brown's of the world for sure, but I kinda appreciate that about him. It's true, Matt Ryan hasn't raped anyone or aligned himself to the POTUS, but Sanu and Gabriel are entertaining as gently caress on offense, and on defense there should be pretty easy story lines about all the rookies, namely Neal and Jones. Vic Beasley going from bust to NFL Sack Leader. The secondary stepping up and actually playing better without their star DB. Atlanta as a franchise not being to the Superbowl since 1998. Stories are there...the media just sucks.

Instead we get leaked emails about pain killers and Backpackgate.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

Shoulda resigned Spoon just for media week, he's a good interview.

Yup, forgot all about Spoon. I know he is down there, I saw him and Clay and Tru in the team photo.

e: Yup. Dude needs to just retire already and be a broadcaster or coach or something. Loads of personality and potential, he just cannot stay on the field. Second Achilles injury, I wonder if he finally hangs 'em up.

weird Asian candy fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 1, 2017

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

corn on the cop posted:

So which Falcon starter gets arrested by a vice cop this weekend?

That has Hageman written all over it.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

sean10mm posted:

I think it will be extremely interesting to watch how Belichick tries to contain the Falcons offense. I almost feel like 100% selling out to stop Julio Jones is kind of a trap, because as good as he is, the offense is basically exactly as productive when he's just drawing coverage and the ball is actually going to everyone else but him. If Jones gets 200 yards and everyone else gets 200, or Jones gets 50 and everyone else gets 350, it's kind of the same thing either way. It might be that he tries to eliminate specific kinds of plays that the Falcons excel at rather than specific players executing them, if that makes any sense.

poo poo, they might be better off just emptying out the box, sticking every son of a bitch in coverage and daring them to run the ball. Just say "gently caress it" and make dime the base defense. Better to give up 200 on the ground than 400 in the air, especially if it turns out the Pats can get some quick scores on the Atlanta defense.

But really I have no friggin' idea. Going into the Super Bowl against the Seahawks I thought there were some good matchups for the Patriots on both sides of the ball that gave them a small edge, but I really have NO loving idea this time. If the Pats D gives up 50 I'd be pissed but not surprised because they've been a fraudulent "#1 scoring defense" all year. If the Falcons just spaz and lose ugly I'd be happy but not that surprised either. I can't remember the last time I felt like I had less of an idea of what would happen in a football game.

I don't know either. I had good feelings about the Seattle and Green Bay games, telling people Atlanta would win by double digits. This game? I feel confident Atlanta will win the game, but it won't be nearly as easy.

Also, keep in mind Atlanta is 7-0 when Jones has 60 yards or less or doesn't even play so limiting Julio isn't the deathwish it once was.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

sean10mm posted:

Yeah, I forgot the exact stat but that sort of thing is why I think overselling to stop Jones every play is maybe a trap.

On the other hand, I don't know why the Atlanta defense has much hope against the Patriots offense, either. The Patriots are exactly the kind of offense that a "young but improving defense" runs into and gets slapped around by because of their inexperience. The way to beat Brady is by hitting him early and often - but Atlanta's pass rush is extremely average and pretty much entirely dependent on 1 player.

I kind of hope they double up Jones, we have had some of our best games when Julio has been blanketed. This offense is just really, really good and they can beat you so many different ways with a variety of players. It will be an interesting chess match between Bill and Kyle.

As for the defense, Beasley gets majority of the sacks for sure but they apply pretty consistent pressure as a whole. Clayborn was having a good year, so his loss is really going to suck but hopefully old man Freeney has some juice left in the tank. I really think Hageman and Jarrett can be disruptive in this game. Hageman has always had the raw potential but lacked the drive...he has been playing actually very good of late and Jarrett is a good young DT. I forgot the stats, but the QB hurries and pressures on Wilson and Rodgers was pretty high, and they are mobile. I'm curious to see how they do against a statue like Brady, though he does get it out lightning quick.

I don't know. This defense has held it's own against better offenses for long stretches, they just struggle to do it for a full 4 quarters. I have no doubt Brady is going to learn them some things over the course of this game, but this defense is fast, physical and they are out for blood. It is a work in progress no doubt, but there has been progress.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

sean10mm posted:

Brady's sack rate this year (3.4%) is substantially lower than Rodgers (5.4%), Wilson (7.0%) or Ryan (6.5%). I won't say Atlanta can't have a monster game out of nowhere, but I don't think a "sack Brady to death" game like last year's AFCCG is in the cards here.

But to turn it around again, the Patriots have a mediocre pass rush too, so Ryan probably won't be very inconvenienced in the pocket, either.

Oh no doubt, I'm not saying they are going to repeat Denver's performance last year. They don't have the talent to do so. I'm just curious to see what they do. Beasley has been primarily a spy over the past couple games and now he really gets to rush the passer. And really, even more than sacks, the more hurries and pressures you can get on a QB to disrupt his timing it can only work in your favor. Again, not saying Atlanta is going to live in New England's backfield (they won't) I'm just genuinely curious how it looks.

The lack of pass rush on New England's side is big. Matt Ryan with time is not going to be good.

I still kinda feel like it's just going to be a wild west shoot out and super fun to watch :v:

And we are talking in circles because neither of us knows wtf to expect lol

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

It'll also be fun to watch because these teams don't turn the ball over. I kinda feel like the team that turns it over will end up losing...if they turn it over. This game really should be super entertaining.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Kalli posted:

Hah, yeah. Both teams have 11 turnovers. Tied for 3rd least ever.

The most concerned I am is Dion Lewis who is the kind of back who should feast in a game like this, but who also has a bit of a fumbling problem. I suspect he plays the lions share of snaps over Blount while the game is competitive.

tbh, Lewis frightens me. We have speed at LB now so it doesn't frighten me as much as it would have with other rosters but he legit scares the piss out of me. Deion Jones is fast, he outran Brandon Cooks on a Pick 6 but man I dunno...he is so freakin' elusive.

weird Asian candy fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 1, 2017

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

evilweasel posted:

Which offense are you thinking of?

Specifically New Orleans, but just looking back I honestly did not realize New England had that good of an offense for whatever reason. #3 in points and #4 in YPG, with Brady out for 4 games...woosh on my part.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Looks like he bobbled it to me :colbert:

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

sean10mm posted:

Brady played plenty of top defenses this season, and none of them were able to sack Brady to death like everybody fantasizes about doing. The Patriots are more likely to get to Ryan than the Falcons are to get to Brady - both teams have league average pass rushes, but Ryan's sack rate (6.5%) is much higher than Brady's (3.4%).

Neither team's pass rush is likely to be decisive though, they just aren't good enough. And neither team likes to blitz anyway, so outside the odd change-up I don't expect to see much of that from either team.

I still don't think it'll be huge sack numbers that will due Brady in, it will be consistent hurries and pressures. Atlanta was the 11th best pass rushing team in the league based on this article and distance to QB measurable :shrug:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000781911/article/denver-broncos-lead-list-of-top10-pass-rushing-teams

It is my understanding that Green Bay has a much better OLine than New England and they were consistently able to generate pressure on Rodgers. Seattle's line is laughable, which would explain why Atlanta was harassing Wilson every drop back.

I don't think anyone is expecting there to be a 6 sack game by any team, but consistent pressure is going to go a long way. On the Atlanta side, I'd be much more concerned if Jones and Collins were still on the roster.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Someone flew a drone over the Falcons practice yesterday...

Bill Belicheat without question :colbert:

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

poor dumb bastard.

FAA gonna learn that sumbitch

Yeah, apparently it was "grounded" because the FAA is super strict as it is but doubly strict during the superbowl.

In my head Matt Ryan knocked it out of the sky with a perfectly thrown ball and I refuse to think otherwise!

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBUg9c5DpoM

Goosebumps, this is pretty well done...I cannot wait to get this game underway!

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

I mean we won't lose but these are the signs of it in the cosmos and poo poo. I'm still #notafraid #neverafaid

Hell, same. Bird gang, bitch!

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Falcons - 41

Patriots - 27

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Nice. I literally wrote this at work on our office pool bet thing a few hours ago. Lmfao

It's cute that you both can be exactly wrong together :allears:

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

That's my QB...

OPOTY
MVP
Super Bowl MVP

Rise the gently caress up and let's get this game going!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

TBeats posted:

What do Falcons fans think about the starting center having a broken leg?

I think it may be like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P0yfq2wDvU

Welder reported there was no structural damage and it was about pain. I've also read it's a chip fracture. I've also read it's a hairline fracture. Considering he played a whole half on it vs GB, and he has reportedly looked fine in practice I'm not going to worry about it. It's the SB, and he is a former Brown. His rear end is gonna be playing.

• Locked thread