Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Fat Twitter Man posted:

For whatever reason people didn't really admit Rockhold's flaws and limitations as a striker even after Vitor punked him. You can't really just write it off as "TRT" when a guy's entire striking game is shut down like that.

(I have now made two posts in a row about Vitor and don't know how I feel about that)

vitor is really good .. this thread really sleeps on him. his style isnt pretty but its no joke either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Bundt Cake posted:

alistair is a better version of vitor. he roided more and won more stuff

overeem is cool too

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

david carmichael posted:

Ban all sport for profit

why? do u think athletes dont know what their occupational hazards are? dont u think they would have at least made 1 or 2 friends or came into contact with a professional health worker at some point in their career that would tell them about it even if they didnt take the time to find out on their own? people die and get crippled working in regular jobs all the time. and frankly beating the poo poo out of eachother for a living is safer and easier on your body than a lot of them. i agree with the sentiment that there should be more done to educate and protect athletes though

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Wild Horses posted:

Why isn't Maia fighting for the titel instead of karate boy who definitely lost a fight

i would rather see woodley fight maia too

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Captain Log posted:

And luckily nothing of value was lost.

only their jobs .. i hope they can at least make a decent wage fighting in the b leagues

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
the ufc at least seems same old same old to me. but the cards have been better than ever, its been a fairly long time since ive watched a boring card

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Anyone who isn't rousey or mcgregor is getting 150-300k ppv buys, except for probably ufc 200 and whichever card cm punk was on

theres no doubt theyre earning a fortune these days somehow though. well thats about the extent of my interest in the matter unless they want to give me some of the money (approx $500),.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

*is down by 124 points*

*scores 2*

I told you these guys were good

it tends to work like that the other way in this thread as well. although i personally dont mind tim kennedy since his only crime is saying crap online

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Bubba Smith posted:

ummmm... alright.

thats a really nice gesture

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

david carmichael posted:

For some reason I thought his only crime was war crimes, but perhaps I'm misremembering

i dont like the military either

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

david carmichael posted:

Oh it's not that he's in the military. Tim bragged about killing women and children a few times. Actual war crimes. Also good excuse to use that norm joke

really ? i didnt know that. my apologies if its true

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

could be fun at welter weight. theyre like friends or something and mcgregor sort of wants the welterweight title.. he should at least have to fight some people in the top 10

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

CommonShore posted:

Are there many elite female athletes out there who are too big to make 145 if they were fighters? The famous "Big Female Athlete" is Serena Williams, and according to google she's 5'9" and 150 lbs - pretty much the same as Ronda.

lots .. track cyclists come to mind. though im sure if their sport called for it they could lose some mass

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

But cyborg showed us losing mass is impossible.

for her its impossible because she needs it to win fights with :-]

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Rigel posted:

Aside from that, the other changes involve rules for how to wrap hands, and they want to clarify that if you lose control of a bodily function, you will lose by TKO.

thats funny but pretty ruthless .. sometimes lactic build up can cause u to puke. its harmless, it just means u dug deep.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Matoi Ryuko posted:

its not harmless. i have acid vomit

Using your attributes effectively is a big part of fighting

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Work Friend Keven posted:

It should be 100% legal to poo poo or puke in MMA.

still its nice of them to formally acknowledge that making your opponent cum is a legitimate path to victory

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

ultimate surrender is no longer real mma and that should bother everyone here

If 1 guy is winning a competition mano a mano then the other guy has to be giving something up, u know? if not his body or his pride, then let it be his white cum

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Good for him

Are there any in depth recent articles about his return and time off? Has he talked about if he kept up training other than keeping fit and being inspired by Dom?

he definitely kept training or he probably wouldnt have won. and the commentators were saying his take down defense had improved

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

hes so creepy lol. but in the fun style and not the cruz style

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Zzulu posted:

I dont think less of Bisping or any of the champs for roiding

It's clearly part of the game. All the best dudes do it

BS

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

david carmichael posted:

The rumours weren't that bisping beating was on the cell tech but rather that he was on epo or similar due to his freakish cardio and dead guy resting heart rate. Then usada came around and he gassed real bad against one or two people who were real bad.

those rumours are fail .. theres nothing freakish about his cardio. its just something he obviously is particular about

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

david carmichael posted:

His resting heart rate was 34 BPM, which iirc is freakish even among "actual athletes", not just MMA guys

mine is 36. under 30 has been observed. even supposed fraud lance armstrong had 32

edit: sure its low but there are people who dont even train who have heart rates in the 30s, its partly genetic and not necessarily indicative of fitness

I.N.R.I fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 9, 2017

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Triticum Guzzler posted:

If Conor never fights Aldo again it would be a tragic waste

agreed. i want to see it soooo bad

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

LobsterMobster posted:

So 2 alleged EPO dudes have similarly low resting heart rates? Wowzers

it doesnt mean anything

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

david carmichael posted:

I didn't say low heart rate was indicative of PED use, I said it was indicative of freakish heart health. 34 is on the low end even for endurance athletes. Doesn't mean he took epo, but that's what fueled the rumors

I guess perhaps the miscommunication was around freakish. I did not mean freakish in the sense that it is only achievable through chemical means like drug cheat Anderson silva, but rather freakish in that it is only present in a vanishingly small % of people due it's reliance on some cross section of rare genetics and incredible hard work and dedication. Like vitor.

no i think im the one not expressing my point properly. what i mean is that while its a true a lower heart rate generally is often a symptom of fitness, its not really a truly reliable one. which is why im saying its too hard to tell anything just from that. its possible to have a heart rate that low without being a serious athlete. my dads is in the low 40s and he's 62 and hasnt done any serious training for anything since i was born (12 years ago :mrgw:). i think the world record holder (26 bpm?) is just some normal guy without any health problems too. so while bisping could well be cheating its not something you can tell just from his heart rate

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

hes going to have to fix that aspect of his game if he wants to beat michael bisping

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Dangersim posted:

You don't go from "gas in a few minutes" to "go five hard rounds" in a 12 week training camp.

you can do most of the work in a couple of weeks if youve been there before. although i have to wonder why fighters are letting their cardio slip so far in the first place ,seems like somewhere that the game could improve

I.N.R.I fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 10, 2017

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

the fight camp cycle is extremely physically and mentally taxing. way more than other sports i've done. after every single fight i've ever had i immediately turn into a slovenly piece of poo poo for a few months and i'm only in the gym like twice a week to do really low key stuff.

i can't really explain it, and i'd like to think if i was getting paid tens of thousands and it was my literal job that it'd be different but i'm not alone in that attitude even in the ranks of world class pros.

everyone has peaks and valleys when it comes to motivation, i really think its somewhere the coaching could improve if anything. i suppose the gyms arent employing the fighters that represent them so theres only so much authority they can exercise over them

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

It's the only interesting first hand experience I can share so I always like to tell it but I had a long chat with Nate in person and he genuinely dislikes fighting. He takes it (admittedly) irrationally personally when people sign a contract to hurt him for money and that's where his animosity towards his opponents stems from. He says he'd be 100%happy just teaching jiu jitsu, smoking weed, and running triathlons, but it just so happens he's one of the best fighters in the world and it pays real well.

He's a really cool person and I'm a fan of his as a fighter and a person (and he's a loving excellent jiu jitsu instructor) and the thought of him teaching kids and smoking weed with millions of dollars makes me really happy.

Im gonna tell him you called him mentally retarded to win a debate with me about smoking weed in competition :mrgw:

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I helped a friend cut weight for her wedding when she was too big for her dress and her husband got real mad at us when he realized we massively dehydrated her and like half their photos from the day he has a real mean scowl.

haha

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

haha. get well soon

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Captain Log posted:

It was a normal attractive friend who was going to attempt to wear her tiny spider woman grandmothers dress and it was so tight we had a backup ready months before. We needed that brave posters sauna weight cut service.

You should have worn the dress instead

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i have the time to watch it but im not going to

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

i strongly agree with the decision to ignore those particular statistics. he should also read the red bit where they say theyre unofficial

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Tsyni posted:

He's a step or less from another title shot. Bisping vs. Silva 2.

true

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
hopefully its a year from the decision and not from the date of the positive. it will probably be from the positive though. testing positive in mma doesnt seem to hit a fighters career very hard

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Dr. Abysmal posted:

It's usually retroactive to the positive test result, so they get credit for "time served" while waiting for the athletic commission to make their decision on the punishment.

yeah. but its at the discretion of usada i think.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's a bad tattoo regardless of the source, even if that source is sweet. It's not the worst tat that a current UFC champ has though.

That would be the crown on the monkey's head that McGregor has.

sounds like you have really good taste in tattoos. i will keep u on speed dial fro next time im in a rap battle with a metal singer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

i don't know if you'd prefer us to discuss this in the qcs thread or what, but i think this was pretty weak. i think most of us would prefer you let us work these things out unless it becomes egregious.

agreed. i personally enjoy reading the occasional flame war

• Locked thread