Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That was some really creative product placement for Fedex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I hope the agua kid keeps magically avoiding death. Seriously, how lucky would he have had to be to get rescued from being spaced before dying of thirst or asphyxiation? I assume his suit had an emergency transponder, but it would probably be on the scale of days or even weeks before anyone could swing by and pick him up.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The space station was actually a prototype for a giant null gravity paintball arena.

Spoilers: the Expanse is actually a prequel to Laser Moon Awakens.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

I'm surprised there aren't more fancy colonies in the expanse. Where's the big luxurious tubes and wheels?

If there's one thing the Expanse tries to hammer home, it's that there's nothing luxurious about space at all. If you want luxury, you stay where there's a gravity well and an atmosphere.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think Diogo is my favorite non-book character. It's going to be really sad when his luck finally runs out and he actually gets killed.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Also chad coleman has a recurring role on Always Sunny playing a very very different character. I never put two and two together.

Dee would make a pretty good Belter.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bates posted:

Seems like Miller would be the first to notice if the rock he was sitting on suddenly accelerated or changed course :raise:

Whatever, great episode, great show.

Well, he did think that the Nauvoo changed course, which would be an accurate assumption to make if he didn't feel any acceleration.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Antti posted:

The radio filter applied to all the chatter gave me immediate Homeworld flashbacks when the Nauvoo was launched.

:same:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They never explain how the PM can do what it does, which is a good thing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

NmareBfly posted:

Yo you can spoiler poo poo like that you know.

I'm sorry for revealing that something doesn't happen. I'll be more careful about that in the future.

[spoiler]Miller doesn't turn into a magical unicorn.[/spioler]

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

NmareBfly posted:

Someone literally said they were looking forward to seeing how they handle a piece of the plot moving forward. You outright state what they do in the books. That is a spoiler. It's not incidental background detail that helps fill in the setting, it is a thing that has not happened yet on-screen. It is a thing they haven't had the opportunity to even mention in the show.

If you had put tags around it I wouldn't be complaining even though I think it would still be a bad thing to do in this thread. Just go back and put in spoiler tags. :shrug:

No, it's a thing that has not not happened yet. In fact it has already not happened.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Miller shooting Dresden in the face definitely makes sense as something an RPG gamer would do. I can almost hear the DM quietly weeping into his hands as he scraps a huge pile of exposition and plot hooks.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I was really looking forward to seeing skittering packs of skeletal hand spiders, but I like what they showed anyway.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Snuffman posted:

For a show that prides its scientific accuracy, I found the proximity and size of the other Galilean moons in the sky over Ganymede triggering.

unless I'm wrong, but they appeared way too big to my eyes. :ohdear:

EDIT: The wikipedia article on extraterrestrial skies (a cool article in itself) seems to imply that'd be wrong. If you were "standing" on Jupiter (or in the upper atmosphere), Io appears the same size as the moon and the rest of the Gallilean moons get smaller from there.

Same, but also the size of Jupiter in the sky. It should "only" be about 7 times bigger than the Moon from Earth (napkin math), not take up the whole drat sky.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They completely changed the way they handled the last PM sample from in the book, right? I seem to recall that they just straight up gave it to Fred in LW.

Also on the subject of differences: I like show Avasarala better.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

nopants posted:

It's pretty obvious that the Martian captain was shot in the back by an assassin. However, upon closer inspection, it appears the assassin was shot as well. Who assassinated the assassin?

Sir Isaac Newton.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Y'all need to get your units straight. 20,000 km/s is 6.7% of the speed of light. The Nauvoo wasn't going that fast. 20,000 m/s, or 20 km/s, is a lot more reasonable (but still insanely fast).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ATP_Power posted:

But where's the ring?

Nice.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's kind of funny to think that during the age of exploration, we couldn't see what was out there but we could reach it, now we can see what's out there but we can't reach it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Evernoob posted:

Couldn't the probe slow down partially by using the destination's star gravity well?
Pretty much by doing an reverse slingshot?

(would be quite a feat tho, if you're already traveling at a fraction of c)

Its trajectory would be slightly deflected, but it wouldn't be captured into an orbit. The star would have to be pretty loving massive to make the trajectory stop being hyperbolic.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Party Plane Jones posted:

Yeah, they literally had Martian marine armor right loving there 5 feet from them.

None of the suits are fitted for them though. Like, that's probably a serious issue for power armor.

Also Diogo you piece of poo poo

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Earth is Luxembourg, Mars is Canada, and the OPA is Mongolia.

It's pretty obvious if you've read the books.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Eiba posted:

I want to laugh at the people who incorrectly call out physics mistakes, but it actually just makes me sad that people watched that scene and thought "she should have exploded" or "she was moving wrong" instead of just being horrified by what was actually happening. It was a really hosed up, really good scene.

What makes you think that they weren't horrified as well?

Personally I thought the scene was kind of cheesy, like they introduced a character for the sole purpose of making Prax's backstory even sadder.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Alternatively you could stop being a huge baby and just read the books.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

AlternateAccount posted:

gently caress this attitude. You're a dick.

There's a whole book thread where you can literally discuss anything. How hard is it to NOT say something in this thread regarding the books if it's not come up in the show yet? Spoiler: it's not. You assholes just get a semi from ruining poo poo for others.

Be cool. Goddamn.

How many people have had the show completely ruined for them by posts ITT? Probably none. Take your own advice and chill.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If people were actually posting major spoilers like "Miller dies" then I could see the point, but most of the complaints are about minor details, and treating them like major spoilers.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That's a really petty thing to complain about. In addition to being an incredibly minor detail (like maybe a sentence or two in the book), it's also a known scientific fact.

e: In the book they say that the Earth revolves around the Sun!!!

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 23, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Eiba posted:

Well, I think you're missing the point about the spoiler.

What is spoiled from the books is there is a specific scene where Bobbie has that revelation. It's an important character moment for her, part of her understanding that everything she'd assumed is doused in ridiculous propaganda.

Bobbie having that specific revelation is not a spoiler because it indicates she goes to Earth, it's a spoiler because it's a specific thing that changes her character when she goes to Earth, and it arguably loses something of its impact without the full context.

I wasn't going to mention anything at the time, but it was a kind of lovely spoiler.

OK, so how would someone who hasn't read the books glean all that from what was actually posted?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Smiling Jack posted:

get a loving life jfc

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Earth is Something Awful, Mars is 4chan, the Belt is Kiwi Farms.

This is the only analogy that makes sense to me.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

NZAmoeba posted:

Because of the resemblance, I keep calling him Jon Space

Not squinty enough. Holden is pretty much constantly squinting.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm really glad I'm not the only one upset with the slingshot scene, because man that was bad. At least the producers are aware of what was wrong with it. I guess that's one of the downsides of the show vs the books - everything has to happen at breakneck speed on the show, but the books can go at a slow pace to reflect accurate travel times. You get the impression that everything from the first episode of season 1 to now has taken place in less than a month, but at this point in the books it's been several years since the beginning.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

He lied to her to gain her trust. It's not that complicated.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Doctor Butts posted:

I liked the gravity assist scenes and I was also OK with how the coffin was vaporized because it is a science fiction TV show and sometimes science fictiony things happen.

It's frustrating because so far the series has been really good at depicting the space stuff accurately - aside from the stuff that is supposed to break the laws of physics, of course. Saying it's "science fictiony" doesn't really excuse it because it just doesn't make sense in a series where things usually make sense. It would be like showing a dude walking across the US in a day and saying "well it's just a fictional story so who cares".

Longbaugh01 posted:

I feel like the closer a piece of sci-fi media is to realistic, the more it invites conversation about realism. It's a bit counterintuitive that way.

The Uncanny Valley of hard scifi.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm glad they brought up Naomi's child this early on, because it sort of comes out of nowhere in the books without any foreshadowing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

R-Type posted:

I wonder if he has a huge blue penis.

Hard to tell behind the cutoff shorts.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

etalian posted:

Best laugh in the whole season had to be the bit when he confesses to the crew that he's banging Naomi

"I'm glad we had this talk" for me.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The worst part of Cibola Burn is the terrible romance subplot.

Sorry if it's a spoiler that there's a terrible romance subplot in a scifi book.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The first five minutes of the episode made me think that they were finishing off the allotment of f-bombs that syfy allowed them to drop for this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I enjoyed the episode by itself, just not as a season finale. Seeing the Arbogast instantly disassembled was insanely cool. I really hope they fix the pacing issue somehow, or next season (book 2.5 to 3.5 probably) is going to get really stupid.

• Locked thread