Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

INTJ Mastermind posted:

It's not like Mars has the capability or desire to slog it out in a ground campaign across all 7 continents. Achieving control of low Earth orbit and threatening to nuke its cities from space should be enough to bring the UN to the bargaining table.

Heck, don't even need to hold LEO; anybody in a higher orbit can ostensibly "throw rocks", as characters occasionally point out.

bitprophet fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

gfarrell80 posted:

Dresden seems to have just been chatting normally when Miller finally walked in to his computer screen room. Wouldn't he have been notified by somebody that the station's gun was actively engaging boarding pods, and that the stealth ship had engaged a hostile vessel?

I took this as an attempt to play up the perception of Dresden as an obsessively focused scientist in the middle of absolutely critical work, and/or someone who's so convinced in the necessity of said work that he expects to easily sway anyone who shows up waving a gun (and, well, he's not wrong, given he appeared to convince Fred at the least).

The security team thing's harder to defend; narratively, it was clearly to highlight that the (non-Dresden) scientists required forcible but nonlethal containment. But yea, you'd think a shady cabal that can finance stealth ships and advanced assault teams would be able to cope with "this station's ground forces need both nonlethal and lethal capabilities, maybe we should issue 2 sets of firearms and/or just have 2 different squads."

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Combat Pretzel posted:

If so, how in the gently caress did that happen?!

For reasons yet (AFAIK) unexplained, somewhere between SyFy and the VOD hosts, someone made the baffling decision / boneheaded mistake of handing over the rebroadcast cut instead of the regular cut. Thus the missing scene, lack of opening credits, and censored profanity.

Can't remember if my (Amazon Prime) copy of S2E3 had any obviously missing 'gently caress's like the first two eps did, but hopefully things will be squared up from now on.

https://twitter.com/AbrahamHanover/status/827393580914216962

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Combat Pretzel posted:

Errrr, what's a rebroadcast cut? So eventually, on a second on-air broadcast, the castrated version would have run?

I took it to mean the cuts that go to network TV for reruns (or I guess even the same original broadcaster just at different times). Different scheduling, more commercial breaks (so cut scenes, shorter/no opening credits), if actually another network then different policies (so no naughty bits or words) etc. (I guess even the same network might have differing rules for differing parts of the day, actually?)

To be honest I haven't watched "actual" TV in so long, the entire concept seems archaic at this point. Which is also why so many of us cord-cutters were dismayed initially. Was pretty glad to see the authors reaching out on Reddit/Twitter/etc to clear things up.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Phanatic posted:

She can't handle Scottish and you expect her to understand Belter?

To be fair, wasn't Epstein Martian?

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
It's a flawed book in some respects, but y'all should totally read Kim Stanley Robinson's Aurora if you want pages of discussion about how hard it is to slow down interstellar objects moving at significant fractions of c.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Grand Fromage posted:

Three fucks in this episode, superb.

I may just be deaf but I don't remember hearing any of them (just some shits), can you throw me some timestamps? Worried us VOD types are somehow still getting the rebroadcast cuts. (Tho I did - for the first time this season! :mad: - at least get to see the full opening this time.)

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Baronjutter posted:

I'd love to see her and Fred and some reasonable martian get together and form some sort of loose solar federation.

One of the worst things about consuming fictional works is "it'd be great if these N reasonable viewpoint characters got together and made some sense" never, ever loving happens because all fiction is predicated on conflict and "hang on let's hammer out a compromise" kinda takes the wind out of those particular sails.

So we get attached to various factions and wish they could all get along because they all have cool aspects to them, but NOPE NOPE NOPE poo poo happens :saddowns:

Unless it's via a "HANG ON did you know these characters that all hate each other will now be forced to collaborate because OMG FOREIGN THREAT" plot twist, which is equally unsatisfying.

tl;dr we love drama but we also hate drama

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Tree Dude posted:

Probably just suffered some damage piloting around the egg dome no big deal

Can't tell if joke, but if not, I believe it's "ag dome" (as in agricultural.)

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Pander posted:

Question: Was there a shot when the rocci was accelerating during or after the invader last episode where it blew past near Mao's ship? Or did I just see something that wasn't there? I'm not 100% sure on the timing but I thought it was after they ignited the monster but before they resolved the standoff on the yacht.

My recollection is that the Mao meetup took place somewhere in the orbits of the inner planets, so that seems highly unlikely to me.

There were definitely shots of Mao's ship with another more military-style ship in the background, but AFAIK that's supposed to be the UN ship Avasarala traveled to the rendezvous on.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Where was this agency made obvious on the show?

The part where it scratched at, then ripped out & threw away, its failsafe bomb, probably counts :D The manner in which it did so seemed relatively human-ish and not very protomolecule-y, but obviously only the writers know for sure what was intended.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Cojawfee posted:

I've heard that the show is pretty much a second pass say the books, fixing things there author ended up not liking after he published them.

While this is true, it doesn't mean the books are bad, the authors (it's a duo, Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck) put out some well-written, entertaining stuff. Sure, it's typically on the pulpy side, but it's (usually) good pulp. Any creative person will jump at the chance to do a real re-cut/reimagining of their own work; they are never 100% satisfied. Doesn't mean the original works aren't good!

IMO the books are definitely worth reading unless you're totally averse to books or only ever want to read life-altering masterpieces.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Not to completely derail, but that kind of is Mallozzi's MO.

If you're looking for something to tide you over to season 3 that is stylistically similar to Expanse, :bsg: is the obvious choice if there is anyone left who hasn't seen it. After that Stargate Universe feels very similar to The Expanse, and DS9/B5 are good, plotty shows if you can handle the 90s aesthetic.

I've seen everything here but Stargate & can heartily second those recommendations.

Question of my own: Is it worth jumping straight to Stargate Universe or are the earlier Stargate shows worth watching too? (I assume there aren't SUPER strong plot ties between each...but dunno.)

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

:psyboom:

And she was in SG1 and was the voice of a little sister in Bioshock 2 and was the dead girl in the Dead Like Me pilot????

B-A-N-A-N-A-S

Actors gonna act.

Speaking of, I've been enjoying periodically seeing actors I recognize from The Expanse (all Canadian, of course) appearing in the also-Canadian Dark Matter. E.g. UN Science Jerk Colonel Janus, the leader of the rebelling space workers from the Anderson Station flashback, and at least one other actor I can't recall, all had single-episode parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
:five:

• Locked thread